Start by marking “A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)

A Rule Against Murder

(Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4)

4.20  ·  Rating details ·  42,879 ratings  ·  3,383 reviews
"What happened here last night isn't allowed," said Madame Dubois.
It was such an extraordinary thing to say it stopped the ravenous Inspector Beauvoir from taking another bite of his roast beef on baguette.
"You have a rule against murder?" he asked.
"I do. When my husband and I bought the Bellechasse we made a pact....Everything that stepped foot on this land would be safe.
Published January 20th 2009 by Minotaur (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Rule Against Murder, please sign up.
Susan Stemont No! They finally got out of Three Pines, too (tho some characters recur) which I think is a good move. (Maybe next time there will even be fewer…moreNo! They finally got out of Three Pines, too (tho some characters recur) which I think is a good move. (Maybe next time there will even be fewer descriptions of food.)(less)
George Enjoyable, yes, occasionally humorous, but "fun" is the wrong word. Despite qualifying as cozies, these are not the kinds of books that benefit from…moreEnjoyable, yes, occasionally humorous, but "fun" is the wrong word. Despite qualifying as cozies, these are not the kinds of books that benefit from having recipes, knitting patterns, or life-organization tips added--and a good thing, too!(less)

·  42,879 ratings  ·  3,383 reviews

Lori
Mar 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy this series, I'm never quite as happy when it moves too far away from Three Pines. I re-read this one because a new edition came up on the library's new bookshelf. And, all that I remembered well was that's the one with (view spoiler). Besides, beloved and departed Ralph Cosham narrated it.

***********************************************

How is it the people in this series eat the way they do and aren't all built like weebles! I couldn't smell all the de
Erica
Previously on Goodreads, my review for book 3

You know?
These are really growing on me.
Thanks, Mom!

So, here's a stupid conversation I had with my mom last week while we were sitting in the waiting room between doctor's appointments.
Me: "Oh, hey, I'm listening to the next Louise Penny book."
Mom (perks up): "Which one?"
Me: "It's either the fourth or the fifth. It's the one that takes place in the lodge out in the wilderness and there are snotty rich people there while Gamache and his wife, Rene Mari
Adina
Dec 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: canada, mystery
Wow, it took me a while to write a review. Sorry Guys.

As you can imagine, if I got to no.4 I really like this series. Then why only 3 stars? Hmm, I think I wanted a break from Three Pines which it was but not totally as you will see if you read this one. Also I did not feel the motive behind the murder was strong enough. However, the series is still awesome and will continue with it.

Why I love this series:
- the characters; I just love Inspector Gamache, his team and some of the inhabitants of
Phrynne
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Number 4 in the series and I actually enjoyed it a little less than the first three. It may be because I listened to this one on audio and I found the narrator annoying - he had a lovely voice and a beautiful French accent but he read in a kind of staccato, the words jumping out instead of flowing. Or it may be because the book itself was a little weaker than the earlier ones.
Armand Gamache was his usual charming self and this time his charming wife was very much in evidence too. It was a good t
Beata
Dec 22, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed another encounter with Armand, learning a bit more about his family history and following his investigation, however, I found previous books a little more mysterious and, yes, interesting... Taking a little break from the series, but I'll continue reading the series.
Matt
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Marty Fried
Shelves: audiobook
Louise Penny’s Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series continues to get better as I binge my way through the collection. The detail and bucolic nature of the pieces invite me to keep reading, as though I have developed an addiction for all that is Gamache. Chief Inspector Gamache accompanies his wife, Reine-Marie, to their annual retreat for a chance to recharge. Upon arrival at Manoir Bellechasse, the Gamaches learn that they will not have the solitude to which they are accustomed, as a family re ...more
PattyMacDotComma
4.5★
“The Morrows seemed to believe there was a special code that allowed them to say what they liked about others, deliberately within their hearing, without it’s being discourteous.

‘Isn’t that the ugliest baby you’ve ever seen?’

‘You shouldn’t wear white if you’re fat.’

‘She’d be prettier if she didn’t scowl all the time.’

The last had been said about her, on her wedding day, as she’d walked down the aisle smiling and joyful on her father’s arm.

The Morrows could be counted on to use the right fo
Brenda
Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie had been holidaying at the Manoir Bellechasse for many years, and this latest visit would be to celebrate their wedding anniversary. The large group also at the Manoir, and having a family reunion were not a nice bunch of people, but Armand and Reine-Marie did their best to stay out of their way.

Until the night of a violent storm when the aftermath uncovered a dead body. Immediately Armand became the Chief Inspector, calling in his team of
Mona
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Enjoyable Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery

Book Four of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series, "A Rule Against Murder", unlike the previous books, is not set in the picturesque Quebecois village of Three Pines (although the protagonists do pay Three Pines a visit).

Instead, most of the action occurs at the Manoir Bellechasse, a luxurious and remote Quebec Inn (patterned on the real Hovey Manor).

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the homicide division of the Montreal Surete and his wi
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ... there was something unnatural about the Manoir Bellechasse from the very beginning. It was staggeringly beautiful, the stripped logs golden and glowing. It was made of wood and wattle and sat right at the water's edge. It commanded Lake Massawippi, as the Robber Barons commanded everything. These captains of industry couldn't seem to help it.

And once a year, men with names like Andrew and Douglas and Charles would leave their rail and whiskey empires, trade their spats for chewed l
Anirudh
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Anirudh by: Neena
I began reading this book with high expectations. It had received a lot of praise and high ratings. So naturally I was eager to unravel its mysteries. But unfortunately, it was a letdown. I am not sure whether the author was trying to write a crime thriller or a family drama. I would not call this a thriller, as there is no thrill. None what so ever. There were a few good points and a lot of bad points which made me give this book 2 stars. SPOILER ALERTS!!!

POSITIVE POINTS

1. Setting. The protag
Richard Derus
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm mad at Louise Penny because of book #5 in the Three Pines/Chief Inspector Gamache mysteries, and I want to take it out on her now, but in fairness I just can't. I loved this book as much as I expected to. I thought that moving the action out of Three Pines would make me grumpy, but instead it made me feel, more than ever, that I want to live in Three Pines because Manoir Bellechasse is close for those times I need to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of Three Pines (snort).

The Gamac
Margitte
Chief Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie, are celebrating their thirty-five-year wedding anniversary by staying at Manoir Bellechasse for a few days. The rich, cultured, respectable Finney family, an old- or no money family, living in a meritocracy, graces their presence in this remote auberge. One of the family's members desrcibes the family as “seven mad Morrows in a verchère”. The matriarch was now a Finney, but was actually still a Marrow in many ways. So much so, that she wanted a s ...more
Jim
One of the wonderful things about a Louise Penny novel is that it is not just a whodunit. The reader needs to figure out how it was done ... as are Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team. In A Fatal Grace the victim was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village. In The Cruelest Month the victim dies during a séance. The author delivers another murder most unusual in this story.

Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary at
Carol
Sep 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction, series
Seems I've never wrote a review about the 4th in Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Oh well, there's plenty of other reviews. I do remember liking it as Three Pines is like coming home.
Paula Kalin
Louise Penny is a master in the murder mystery genre. A Rule Against Murder, the fourth in her Chief Inspector Gamache series, takes us places in the minds of her characters like no other writer out there.

The setting for this book is different from her usual Three Pines. The Gamaches are at a resort in the wilderness celebrating their anniversary. Here we get to meet the Finneys for a family reunion, and an interesting one at that. We meet a family full of abuse and cruelty for themselves and e
Kylie H
Jun 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime, great-read
Number 4 in the Armand Gamache series and once again a great mystery.
It is a bit disappointing that the village of Three Pines is on the periphery of this book, but on the other hand we learn more about the Chief Inspector Gamache and his past, as well as Peter Morrow who I have never really taken to.
This story is set in a quiet retreat, an exclusive manor in the Canadian wilderness. Gamache and his wife are there to celebrate their wedding anniversary. However the descent of the 'Finney's' who
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

A wedding anniversary celebration for Armand and Reine-Marie and a family reunion at Manoir Bellechasse for the Morrow family bring Louise Penny's familiar characters back to beautiful Three Pines and along with the characters comes a murder.

The Morrow family is known to not have much love for each other. When a marble statue is brought into the pristine landscape, questions are raised about why it is there. A thunderstorm brings a tragic surprise to mar the statue's meaning.

A RULE AGAINST MURDE
joyce g
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honeybees make an entrance into this grand world.
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been hooked on Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series since I read her debut novel, Still Life. Yet, as great as the novels have been, A Rule Against Murder still somehow manages to top all of the previous ones.

As ever, Penny plots out an interesting murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the end. However, what truly will delight the reader are the secrets revealed about Peter Morrow's well-to-do family and one about Armand Gamache himself. The theme of when to remember
Holly
The mystery was perhaps not as interesting as in previous books in this series but that is completely overshadowed by getting to see the inner workings of Peter Morrow's family. I always thought he had some underlying issues with how jealous he could be of his wonderful wife Clara so this book explains a lot! Getting to learn more about Armand Gamache's family is a pleasant bonus. Love this series.
Camie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
While Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie are celebrating their 35 th Anniversary at the spectacularly isolated Manoir Bellechase, the extended members of the eccentric and wealthy Morrow/Finney family show up for an ill fated family reunion. To honor their late father there is a grand statue unveiling and (because this is book #4 of Louise Penny's series) naturally a dead body is also discovered at the scene.
As usual Gamache is dashing and wise as he and his team go about solving the ca
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I. Love. Armand. Gamache. And I loved the deepening of his character in this book, especially the longer glimpse we got into his marriage and his family history. He's just such a wonderful man and I love spending time with him. It's refreshing given the penchant for really tortured detectives you so often find. Armand isn't good at his job because he's coming from a place of turmoil and moral ambiguity, he's good at his job because he's compassionate and wise. I love that. The writing is beautif ...more
Jeff Grosser
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been lucky enough to read these wonderful mysteries during the time of year when they take place. The descriptions are so warm & cozy that I feel like I am right there with Chief Inspector Gamache, and we are working to solve the murder together. The next book in the series, The Brutal Telling, appears to take place in the fall so I will read it then.

I was also able to learn a couple of things in this book: 1) Count your blessings. 2) Never use the first stall in a public restroom.
Rita Schuldt
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not like this one as much as the previous ones. It seemed much darker and it included a family that you love to hate. The Gamaches are staying at a beautiful lodge near Three Pines, of course, to celebrate their anniversary and, surprise, a murder takes place. It's a member of this rich, constantly bickering family. A couple from Three Pines show up, Clara and Peter Morrow, because Peter is a member of the awful dysfunctional family. Peter and the rest of his family are all suspects becaus ...more
Patti
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patti by: Robin Agnew gave me an ARC--thank you!
I just want to hang out with Armand Gamache. He is such a calm, practical person to be around, and you just know that he'll figure out who did what and why. In this entry into the series, Armand and his wife, Reine-Marie, are spending their anniversary at their favorite lodge, not far from Three Pines. While they there, a family reunion is going on also, with a family that seems such in name only--they are related to each other, but there is no affection displayed or even seemingly felt among th ...more
Connie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-cd, 2014
I have listened to this series and Inspector Gamache is the perfect companion for my commute. This one took the reader away from Three Pines and I enjoyed the many glimpses into Gamaches life and even his demons. Each one is getting just a bit better as these characters have become more familiar to me, almost like good, comfortable old friends.

The murder in this one left me guessing right up until the reveal....and no guess was correct. Not the who or how. I love when the light bulb comes on a
Kirsten #NeverAgainIsNow
One of the best in the series so far. We get a glimpse into the background of Chief Inspector Gamache as well as seeing Madame Gamache.

The background to Peter Morrow was interesting as well. An inn - or auberge - is the setting. So you basically have an English Country House mystery set in the wilds of Quebec. Lovely. The mystery was well plotted - as usual - and the suspects were all very suspicious... down the odd girl/boy with the legumatic name.

Great read!
Emma
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, crime
3.5 rounded up. Three Pines was largely missing in this story, although in the same region. I found the resolution of this one a bit unsatisfactory for 2 reasons. One was that the motive was not entirely plausible. And secondly, while I love the psychological aspects of these books, I felt too long (about 3/4 of the book) was spent on a red herring.
Bettie
Description: It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn not far from the village of Three Pines. But they're not alone. The Finney family -- rich, cultured, and respectable -- has also arrived for a celebration of their own.
The beautiful Manoir Bellechasse might be surrounded by nature, but there is something unnatural looming. As the heat rises and the humidity closes in, some surpris
Penny Pushers: FINAL DISCUSSION! Spoilers are fair game! 6 23 Mar 04, 2018 05:46PM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 25 - Chapter 28 6 13 Mar 04, 2018 06:41AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 21 - Chapter 24 6 14 Mar 04, 2018 04:37AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 17 - Chapter 20 8 20 Mar 03, 2018 09:41PM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 13 - Chapter 16 10 20 Mar 03, 2018 06:35AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 9 - Chapter 12 9 24 Mar 03, 2018 03:32AM

• I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • By the Time You Read This (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #4)
  • Pardonable Lies (Maisie Dobbs, #3)
  • Black Diamond (Bruno, Chief of Police, #3)
  • Acqua Alta (Commissario Brunetti, #5)
LOUISE PENNY, a former CBC radio journalist, is the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling author of fourteen Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has been awarded the John Creasey Dagger, Nero, Macavity and Barry Awards, as well as two each of the Arthur Ellis and Dilys Awards. Additionally, Penny has won six Agatha Awards and five Anthony Awards, and has been a finalist for an Ed ...more

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
  • The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #11)
“But you want murderous feelings? Hang around librarians," confided Gamache. "All that silence. Gives them ideas.” 111 likes
“We're all blessed and we're all blighted, Chief Inspector," said Finney. "Everyday each of us does our sums. The question is, what do we count?” 39 likes