Start by marking “A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)” as Want to Read:
A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #4)

A Rule Against Murder (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #4)

4.2  ·  Rating details ·  34,558 Ratings  ·  2,761 Reviews
"What happened here last night isn't allowed," said Madame Dubois.
It was such an extraordinary thing to say it stopped the ravenous Inspector Beauvoir from taking another bite of his roast beef on baguette.
"You have a rule against murder?" he asked.
"I do. When my husband and I bought the Bellechasse we made a pact....Everything that stepped foot on this land would be safe.
Published January 20th 2009 by Minotaur (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about A Rule Against Murder, please sign up.
Denise I wouldn't characterize it as fun. More sober than fun. The mystery is intriguing as are the characters, some more fully developed than others, but…moreI wouldn't characterize it as fun. More sober than fun. The mystery is intriguing as are the characters, some more fully developed than others, but the continuing characters in the series continue to be developed and interesting. (less)

Erica
Previously on Goodreads, my review for book 3

You know?
These are really growing on me.
Thanks, Mom!

So, here's a stupid conversation I had with my mom last week while we were sitting in the waiting room between doctor's appointments.
Me: "Oh, hey, I'm listening to the next Louise Penny book."
Mom (perks up): "Which one?"
Me: "It's either the fourth or the fifth. It's the one that takes place in the lodge out in the wilderness and there are snotty rich people there while Gamache and his wife, Rene Mari
Phrynne
May 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 4000-books
Number 4 in the series and I actually enjoyed it a little less than the first three. It may be because I listened to this one on audio and I found the narrator annoying - he had a lovely voice and a beautiful French accent but he read in a kind of staccato, the words jumping out instead of flowing. Or it may be because the book itself was a little weaker than the earlier ones.
Armand Gamache was his usual charming self and this time his charming wife was very much in evidence too. It was a good t
Mona
Feb 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Enjoyable Chief Inspector Gamache Mystery

Book Four of Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Gamache series, "A Rule Against Murder", unlike the previous books, is not set in the picturesque Quebecois village of Three Pines (although the protagonists do pay Three Pines a visit).

Instead, most of the action occurs at the Manoir Bellechasse, a luxurious and remote Quebec Inn (patterned on the real Hovey Manor).

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the homicide division of the Montreal Surete and his wi
Anirudh
May 15, 2013 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Anirudh by: Neena
I began reading this book with high expectations. It had received a lot of praise and high ratings. So naturally I was eager to unravel its mysteries. But unfortunately, it was a letdown. I am not sure whether the author was trying to write a crime thriller or a family drama. I would not call this a thriller, as there is no thrill. None what so ever. There were a few good points and a lot of bad points which made me give this book 2 stars. SPOILER ALERTS!!!

POSITIVE POINTS

1. Setting. The protag
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: ... there was something unnatural about the Manoir Bellechasse from the very beginning. It was staggeringly beautiful, the stripped logs golden and glowing. It was made of wood and wattle and sat right at the water's edge. It commanded Lake Massawippi, as the Robber Barons commanded everything. These captains of industry couldn't seem to help it.

And once a year, men with names like Andrew and Douglas and Charles would leave their rail and whiskey empires, trade their spats for chewed l
Richard Derus
Sep 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
I'm mad at Louise Penny because of book #5 in the Three Pines/Chief Inspector Gamache mysteries, and I want to take it out on her now, but in fairness I just can't. I loved this book as much as I expected to. I thought that moving the action out of Three Pines would make me grumpy, but instead it made me feel, more than ever, that I want to live in Three Pines because Manoir Bellechasse is close for those times I need to get away from the hectic hustle and bustle of Three Pines (snort).

The Gamac
Jim
One of the wonderful things about a Louise Penny novel is that it is not just a whodunit. The reader needs to figure out how it was done ... as are Chief Inspector Armand Gamache and his team. In A Fatal Grace the victim was electrocuted in the middle of a frozen lake, in front of the entire village. In The Cruelest Month the victim dies during a séance. The author delivers another murder most unusual in this story.

Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their 35th wedding anniversary at
Margitte
Chief Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie, are celebrating their thirty-five-year wedding anniversary by staying at Manoir Bellechasse for a few days. The rich, cultured, respectable Finney family, an old- or no money family, living in a meritocracy, graces their presence in this remote auberge. One of the family's members desrcibes the family as “seven mad Morrows in a verchère”. The matriarch was now a Finney, but was actually still a Marrow in many ways. So much so, that she wanted a s ...more
Carol
Sep 15, 2016 added it
Shelves: fiction, series
Seems I've never wrote a review about the 4th in Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache. Oh well, there's plenty of other reviews. I do remember liking it as Three Pines is like coming home.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it

A wedding anniversary celebration for Armand and Reine-Marie and a family reunion at Manoir Bellechasse for the Morrow family bring Louise Penny's familiar characters back to beautiful Three Pines and along with the characters comes a murder.

The Morrow family is known to not have much love for each other. When a marble statue is brought into the pristine landscape, questions are raised about why it is there. A thunderstorm brings a tragic surprise to mar the statue's meaning.

A RULE AGAINST MURDE
Paula Kalin
Louise Penny is a master in the murder mystery genre. A Rule Against Murder, the fourth in her Chief Inspector Gamache series, takes us places in the minds of her characters like no other writer out there.

The setting for this book is different from her usual Three Pines. The Gamaches are at a resort in the wilderness celebrating their anniversary. Here we get to meet the Finneys for a family reunion, and an interesting one at that. We meet a family full of abuse and cruelty for themselves and e
joyce g
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Honeybees make an entrance into this grand world.
Maya
Dec 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Когато четох дебютната книга на Луиз Пени Убийството на художника, си признах, че в първата й третина се чудех защо си го причинявам и едва после я харесах достатъчно, за да продължа със серията. Оттогава, в следващите две книги от серията за инспектор Гамаш Пени ставаше все по-добра, за да стигне до тази книга, която е... не се сещам за друга дума, освен великолепна.

Превъзходен баланс между интрига, психология на образите, атмосфера, преплитане на сюжетни линии, и всичко това описано с такъв б
Camie
Feb 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
While Inspector Gamache and his wife Reine-Marie are celebrating their 35 th Anniversary at the spectacularly isolated Manoir Bellechase, the extended members of the eccentric and wealthy Morrow/Finney family show up for an ill fated family reunion. To honor their late father there is a grand statue unveiling and (because this is book #4 of Louise Penny's series) naturally a dead body is also discovered at the scene.
As usual Gamache is dashing and wise as he and his team go about solving the ca
Katie Ziegler (Life Between Words)
I. Love. Armand. Gamache. And I loved the deepening of his character in this book, especially the longer glimpse we got into his marriage and his family history. He's just such a wonderful man and I love spending time with him. It's refreshing given the penchant for really tortured detectives you so often find. Armand isn't good at his job because he's coming from a place of turmoil and moral ambiguity, he's good at his job because he's compassionate and wise. I love that. The writing is beautif ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jun 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been hooked on Louise Penny's Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series since I read her debut novel, Still Life. Yet, as great as the novels have been, A Rule Against Murder still somehow manages to top all of the previous ones.

As ever, Penny plots out an interesting murder mystery that keeps you guessing until the end. However, what truly will delight the reader are the secrets revealed about Peter Morrow's well-to-do family and one about Armand Gamache himself. The theme of when to remember
Holly
Mar 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
The mystery was perhaps not as interesting as in previous books in this series but that is completely overshadowed by getting to see the inner workings of Peter Morrow's family. I always thought he had some underlying issues with how jealous he could be of his wonderful wife Clara so this book explains a lot! Getting to learn more about Armand Gamache's family is a pleasant bonus. Love this series.
Jeff Grosser
Jul 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've been lucky enough to read these wonderful mysteries during the time of year when they take place. The descriptions are so warm & cozy that I feel like I am right there with Chief Inspector Gamache, and we are working to solve the murder together. The next book in the series, The Brutal Telling, appears to take place in the fall so I will read it then.

I was also able to learn a couple of things in this book: 1) Count your blessings. 2) Never use the first stall in a public restroom.
Patti
Jan 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Patti by: Robin Agnew gave me an ARC--thank you!
I just want to hang out with Armand Gamache. He is such a calm, practical person to be around, and you just know that he'll figure out who did what and why. In this entry into the series, Armand and his wife, Reine-Marie, are spending their anniversary at their favorite lodge, not far from Three Pines. While they there, a family reunion is going on also, with a family that seems such in name only--they are related to each other, but there is no affection displayed or even seemingly felt among th ...more
Connie
Feb 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audible-cd, 2014
I have listened to this series and Inspector Gamache is the perfect companion for my commute. This one took the reader away from Three Pines and I enjoyed the many glimpses into Gamaches life and even his demons. Each one is getting just a bit better as these characters have become more familiar to me, almost like good, comfortable old friends.

The murder in this one left me guessing right up until the reveal....and no guess was correct. Not the who or how. I love when the light bulb comes on a
Bettie☯
Description: It is the height of summer, and Armand and Reine-Marie Gamache are celebrating their wedding anniversary at Manoir Bellechasse, an isolated, luxurious inn not far from the village of Three Pines. But they're not alone. The Finney family -- rich, cultured, and respectable -- has also arrived for a celebration of their own.
The beautiful Manoir Bellechasse might be surrounded by nature, but there is something unnatural looming. As the heat rises and the humidity closes in, some surpris
Mackey St
I must admit that Louise Penny is quickly becoming one of my very favorite mystery writers. Her Armand Gamache series is one of the best I've read. In "A Rule Against Muder," Chief Inspector Gamache and his wife are celebrating their anniversary at a cozy, wooded inn. They are not alone, however, as a rather obnoxious family is also at the inn celebrating a family reunion. Before the week is out, one of the family members is murdered and Gamache goes from guest to Inspector.

As with most of Penny
H.A. Leuschel
Jan 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by this author and I enjoyed her murder mystery set in Canada offering an interesting and very diverse group of characters, a plot that unfolded in a slow but entertaining way in a cozy and idyllic holiday 'manoir' by the lake. A relaxing read if that's what you are looking for!
Linda
A Rule Against Murder was an interesting change of pace for Armand Gamache. During the summertime, he and his wife shared a union in the deep woods of Quebec; Manoir Bellechase was a visit to their past. Armand and Reine-Marie celebrated a special time in June stretching back for more than thirty years. Every occasion was spent with moments of affection and tenderness.

That is, until the Finneys intruded: an elderly mother, a stepfather and a very odd statue. An extremely dysfunctional group of a
Rita
Jun 02, 2017 rated it liked it
I did not like this one as much as the previous ones. It seemed much darker and it included a family that you love to hate. The Gamaches are staying at a beautiful lodge near Three Pines, of course, to celebrate their anniversary and, surprise, a murder takes place. It's a member of this rich, constantly bickering family. A couple from Three Pines show up, Clara and Peter Morrow, because Peter is a member of the awful dysfunctional family. Peter and the rest of his family are all suspects becaus ...more
Mandy Radley
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
The thing about returning to work after the holidays and then going away for the weekend seriously impacts on your reading time. However I have finally finished number 4 in the Armand Gamache series, thoroughly enjoyed it, and didn't guess whodunnit. Bring on number 5.
Amy
I just finished Book 4 of the Three Pines Mysteries, featuring the sublime Inspector Gamache. The narrator for these books, Ralph Cosham, is just excellent. He has the perfect manner, inflection and timber of voice for the characters and general narration, not to mention his excellent French, of which I don't speak a word! If I could get all of these audiobooks from my local library, I would listen to this entire series.

It was refreshing for the murder investigation in this book to take place ou
Mary Ellen
Jun 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
I'd really like to give this book 2 1/2 stars. I ended up giving it 3 because I enjoyed the main character, Armand Gamache, very much, and his wife, Reine-Marie, almost as much. (I think I'd like her better if her name weren't Queen Mary...) Gamache reminds me of a French-Canadian Guido Brunetti (for those who don't know him, check out Donna Leon). Or maybe Guido is a Venetian Armand Gamache. Anyway, they are both dedicated, experienced, prudent, happy at home, and eaters and lovers of lots of g ...more
Moira Fogarty
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: canadian, mystery
See, the problem with setting this mystery at Manoir Bellechasse, a vacation resort in the wilderness, is that I go to Three Pines for a mental vacation already. Taking me on vacation from my vacation spot just annoys the heck out of me. I don't want a big house with a fancy chef and bugs, full of annoying guests! I want a cozy village with a B&B and regular townfolk. I wished I was at the Clogging Competition instead of hanging out with the totally irredeemably godawful Finney clan. I did n ...more
Claire H
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime
Brilliant. I have finally found a replacement for P.D. James - someone who writes mysteries that are as rich and deep and literate, as gifted at viewing human character, and as high-calibre with building the whodunit, but without the thread of haunting despair that runs through all James novels, particularly her Dalgliesh mysteries. Both writers plunge the reader immediately into a richly layered world, and both explore the surprises, the dusty and ugly corners, the twisty labyrinth of the human ...more
Penny Pushers: FINAL DISCUSSION! Spoilers are fair game! 6 19 Mar 04, 2018 05:46PM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 25 - Chapter 28 6 11 Mar 04, 2018 06:41AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 21 - Chapter 24 6 13 Mar 04, 2018 04:37AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 17 - Chapter 20 8 19 Mar 03, 2018 09:41PM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 13 - Chapter 16 10 19 Mar 03, 2018 06:35AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 9 - Chapter 12 9 23 Mar 03, 2018 03:32AM
Penny Pushers: Chapter 5 - Chapter 8 20 22 Mar 02, 2018 09:27PM
  • Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #3)
  • All Shall Be Well (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #2)
  • The Dark Vineyard (Bruno, Chief of Police #2)
  • Leaving Everything Most Loved (Maisie Dobbs, #10)
  • Death in a Strange Country (Commissario Brunetti, #2)
LOUISE PENNY, a former CBC radio journalist, is the #1 New York Times and Globe and Mail bestselling author of thirteen Chief Inspector Armand Gamache novels. She has been awarded the John Creasey Dagger, Nero, Macavity and Barry Awards, as well as two each of the Arthur Ellis and Dilys Awards. Additionally, Penny has won six Agatha Awards and five Anthony Awards, and has been a finalist for an Ed ...more
More about Louise Penny

Chief Inspector Armand Gamache (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • Still Life (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #1)
  • A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
  • The Brutal Telling (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #5)
  • Bury Your Dead (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #6)
  • A Trick of the Light (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #7)
  • The Beautiful Mystery (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #8)
  • How the Light Gets In (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #9)
  • The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10)
  • The Nature of the Beast (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache #11)

Mystery & Thrillers Deals

• The Bricklayer (Steve Vail, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Among the Wicked (Kate Burkholder #8)
  • The Snow Garden
  • Breath of Malice
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Almost Dead (Lizzy Gardner #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fatal Frost (Dewberry Farm Mysteries, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Remains of Innocence (Joanna Brady, #16)
  • Outfoxed
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Huntress Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Last Witness (C.J. Townsend Thriller)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dead Weight (Lizzy Gardner #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Weekend Warriors (Sisterhood)
    $5.99 $0.99
  • The Lullaby Girl (Angie Pallorino, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Eye for an Eye (Dewey Andreas, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Short Drop (Gibson Vaughn, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bridged (Callahan & McLane, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • You Only Live Twice (James Bond, #12)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Thunderball (James Bond, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Casino Royale (James Bond, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Live and Let Die (James Bond, #2)
  • Dr. No
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Moonraker (James Bond, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Diamonds are Forever (James Bond)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Spy Who Loved Me (James Bond, #10)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • From Russia With Love (James Bond, #5)
  • The Blinds
  • Little Boy Lost
  • Blonde Faith
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Deadly Business
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Cutting Room (C.J. Townsend Thriller Book 3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • First to Kill (Nathan McBride, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • In the Barren Ground
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Blood Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Lie In Wait (Canaan Crime #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Legacy
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Her Final Breath (Tracy Crosswhite, #2)
  • The Taxidermist's Daughter
    $7.74 $1.99
  • Depraved Heart (Kay Scarpetta, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Standing in Another Man's Grave (Inspector Rebus, #18)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • In the Clearing (Tracy Crosswhite, #3)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cop Hater (87th Precinct, #1)
  • The Jekyll Revelation
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Truth Be Told (Rogue Justice #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Book of Beloved
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick #1)
  • Afterlife
  • The Vines
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Obsessed (Lizzy Gardner #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • River's Edge (Cape Refuge Series, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Known (Bone Secrets, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Pedigree To Die For (A Melanie Travis Mystery Book 1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Vanished (Callahan & McLane #1)
  • Tell the Truth, Shame the Devil
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Hidden (Bone Secrets, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Bone Music (Burning Girl, #1)
  • In the Blue Hour
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Cold Moon (The Huntress/FBI Thrillers, #3)
    $6.49 $1.99
  • Stirred (Jacqueline "Jack" Daniels #8)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Raven Black (Shetland Island, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Trapped Girl (Tracy Crosswhite, #4)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Neon Lawyer (Brigham Theodore, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Coyote Waits (Navajo Mysteries, #10)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Sinister Pig (Navajo Mysteries, #16)
    $9.74 $1.99
  • The Kept Woman (Will Trent #8)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Claiming Felicity (Ace Security, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Snowblind (Dark Iceland #1)
    $7.09 $2.99
  • All the Beautiful Brides (Graveyard Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bitter Medicine (V.I. Warshawski, #4)
    $8.49 $1.99
  • A Merciful Truth (Mercy Kilpatrick, #2)
  • Playing Dead
  • Look Behind You
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Where the Memories Lie
    $4.99 $1.99
  • White Nights (Shetland Island, #2)
  • Nineteen Seventy Four
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Close to Home (Tracy Crosswhite, #5)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Fields of Wrath (Luis Chavez, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Three (Codename: Chandler, #3)
  • The Hollow Men: A Novel
    $15.95 $1.99
  • What She Doesn't Know
    $5.99 $2.49
  • The Pope of Palm Beach: A Novel (Serge Storms)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Night Bird (Frost Easton, #1)
  • Flood (Burke, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Binary
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Case of Need
  • Easy Go
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Pretty Little Killers (The Keepers #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The House of Memory (Pluto's Snitch #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Evil Never Dies (Lizzy Gardner, #6)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Twisted Root (William Monk, #10)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Red Road (Alex Morrow #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Last Detective (Peter Diamond, #1)
  • Darkness, My Old Friend
  • Retribution
  • Duplicity
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Widowmaker (Mike Bowditch #7)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Bones Don't Lie (Morgan Dane #3)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Remember Me Like This
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Penance
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Cold Harbor (Gibson Vaughn, #3)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • On Her Majesty's Secret Service (James Bond, #11)
  • Neighborly
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Targeted (Callahan & McLane, #4)
  • The Drowning
    $15.95 $1.99
  • The Second Girl
    $9.99 $2.99
“But you want murderous feelings? Hang around librarians," confided Gamache. "All that silence. Gives them ideas.” 98 likes
“We're all blessed and we're all blighted, Chief Inspector," said Finney. "Everyday each of us does our sums. The question is, what do we count?” 33 likes