Start by marking “Heart of Darkness” as Want to Read:
Heart of Darkness

Read Book* *Different edition

Heart of Darkness

3.42  ·  Rating details ·  365,342 ratings  ·  12,105 reviews
Heart of Darkness, a novel by Joseph Conrad, was originally a three-part series in Blackwood's Magazine in 1899. It is a story within a story, following a character named Charlie Marlow, who recounts his advanture to a group of men onboard an anchored ship. The story told is of his early life as a ferry boat captain. Although his job was to transport ivory downriver, Charl ...more
Paperback, Penguin Classics, 192 pages
Published August 2nd 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1899)

To ask other readers questions about Heart of Darkness, please sign up.
Abhishek Mishra I'm afraid not. This isn't your usual page-turner. The book is layered, even allegorical in most verses. The experience of the first half of the book…moreI'm afraid not. This isn't your usual page-turner. The book is layered, even allegorical in most verses. The experience of the first half of the book was rather draining, and the second half moved faster.
I recommend not to read this as a story, but as an essay. It might change how you understand it.(less)
Pride and Prejudice by Jane AustenJane Eyre by Charlotte BrontëFrankenstein by Mary Wollstonecraft ShelleyThe Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar WildeWuthering Heights by Emily Brontë
Penguin Classics
507 books — 191 voters
The Odyssey by HomerDeath on the Nile by Agatha ChristieThe Voyage of the Dawn Treader by C.S. LewisMoby-Dick, or, the Whale by Herman MelvilleA Night to Remember by Walter Lord
Cruises
215 books — 75 voters

More lists with this book...

·  365,342 ratings  ·  12,105 reviews

Sonanova
Jul 10, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: someone who enjoys a good tenth level of hell
Proving yet again that doing a concept first will get you immortalized, while doing it WELL will make you an unknown and forgotten writer at best, I also learned that in Conrad's time, people could drone on and on with metaphors and it wasn't considered cliched, but "art." I blame this book and others like it for some of the most painful literature created by students and professional writers alike.

It was like raking my fingernails across a chalkboard while breathing in a pail of flaming cat hai
Richard
Mar 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone: required reading.
First of all, get this straight: Heart of Darkness is one of those classics that you have to have read if you want to consider yourself a well-educated adult.

    Having watched Apocalypse Now doesn’t count — if anything, it ups the ante, since that means you have to think about the similarities and differences (for example, contrast and compare the U.S. involvement in Vietnam with the Belgian rule over the Congo. Actually quite an intriguing and provocative question).

    The prose can feel
Sarah Fisher
May 23, 2007 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Never in all my life has 100 little pages made me contemplate suicide...violent suicide. i had to finish it. i had no choice (yay college!). every page was literally painful.

am i supposed to feel sorry for him? because i don't. i feel sorry for all of Africa getting invaded with dumbasses like this guy. oh and in case you didn't get it...the "heart of darkness" is like this super deep megametaphor of all metaphors. and in case it wasn't clear enough, conrad will spend many many useless words cle
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
Feb 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Every reader
Is Joseph Conrad a racist?

Well, that is a question, a question that is extremely difficult to answer. There are certainly racist aspects within Heart of Darkness. However, how far this is Conrad’s own personal opinion is near impossible to tell. Certainly, Marlowe, the protagonist and narrator, has some rather patronising notions as to how the Africans should be treated, and the image of the colonised is one of repression and servitude, but does this reflect Conrad’s own opinions? How far can
Elise (TheBookishActress)
From 1885 to 1908, an area in Africa now known as the Democratic Republic of the Congo, then under the rule of King Leopold II of Belgium, experienced an intense genocide. Through the Red Rubber system, the people of the Congo were essentially enslaved to harvest rubber. Those who failed to collect enough rubber had their hands chopped off. Some died from disease brought on by the terrible conditions, while others were just flat-out murdered. It is estimated that around three to thirteen million ...more
Lyn
“We live in the flicker -- may it last as long as the old earth keeps rolling! But darkness was here yesterday.”

Marlow is not just a narrator or an alter ego of Conrad, but a universal everyman, timeless. And that, to me, is the greatest appeal of this book, it is timeless.

“Like a running blaze on a plain, like a flash of lightning in the clouds. We live in the flicker.”

The scene of Marlow sitting Buddha like as the Thames dreams into slow darkness and his voice takes on a disembodied, spiritua
Jr Bacdayan
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Picture Review of Heart of Darkness

Visual Key:

White Man named Michael Cera – represents Imperialism

Sunset – shows the impending darkness that is latently inside man

Sea – represents the Congo River

Moustache – represents author Joseph Conrad who also has his own impressive facial hair

Red Bonnet – is a horrible choice of headwear thus might prompt one to remark "the horror! the horror!" which is also Kurtz' last words
Megha
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviews

It was a breathtaking read. There are few books which make such a powerful impression as 'Heart of darkness' does. Written more than a century ago, the book and its undying theme hold just as much significance even today. Intense and compelling, it looks into the darkest recesses of human nature. Conrad takes the reader through a horrific tale in a very gripping voice.

I couldn't say enough about Conrad's mastery of prose. Not a single word is out of place. Among several things, I liked Marlow ex
Riku Sayuj
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Tanuj Solanki

Revisiting The Heart of Darkness

After passing past that Castle of Ego,

Laying siege on the very borders of Mind,

We entered the vast and bristling forests,

Of that strange, strange land, that Id,

Which doth divide the knowing, waking,

From the land of dreaming, unknowing.

But this way is much too hard to follow;

And is harder even to describe to you:

We are more likely here to perish,

Here in these vast, dense hinterlands;

For these woods that we see arrayed,

Has never previously been crossed,

By mortal men
Emily May
Dec 09, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I still don't know what I read here.

I finished this book with one sort-of word spinning around in my head... "eh?"

I read the whole book. Every page, every sentence, every word. And I couldn't tell you what it was about. I think I must have read more challenging books than this - Ulysses, Swann's Way, etc. - but none has left me so thoroughly clueless.
Rakhi Dalal
“ Mistah Kurtz. He dead.”
-T.S. Eliot, The Hollow Men

He came, he saw, he conquered – and then he succumbed and died. Mistah Kurtz. An enigma, who ultimately came to signify the gloomy reality of sin, which closely lurks in the minds of mortal beings and keeps ready to pounce upon the heart and to sink it into darkness at the mere hint of viciousness. Which impatiently awaits the weak moments of vanity, false notions and fickleness to take over control and let humanity die a grief death of hopeles
Ahmad Sharabiani
780. Heart of Darkness, Joseph Conrad
Heart of Darkness (1899) is a novella by Polish-English novelist Joseph Conrad, about a voyage up the Congo River into the Congo Free State, in the heart of Africa, by the story's narrator Charles Marlow. Marlow tells his story to friends aboard a boat anchored on the River Thames. This setting provides the frame for Marlow's story of his obsession with the ivory trader Kurtz, which enables Conrad to create a parallel between "the greatest town on earth" and
J.G. Keely
Like contemporaries Haggard and Melville, Joseph Conrad lived the adventures he wrote. He left his native Ukraine to escape the political persecution of his family and became a merchant marine in France, sailing to the West Indies and gun-running for a failed Spanish coup. Soon after, he learned English and became a british citizen, eventually attaining the position of Master Mariner. Had his story ended there, he might have become merely a footnote in history: a successful seaman and minor writ ...more
George Bradford
Apr 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: truth, villains
When I was a child, my father caught me frowning at a very small gift wrapped package I'd received. The dashed hopes for a larger package were broadcast across my face.

"Dynamite comes in small packages." My father counseled me. The literal and figurative truth of this statement has revealed itself throughout my life.

This story is specifically relevant to Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness. It is a small book. (Surprisingly small.) And it is pure dynamite. (Super powerful dynamite!)

Conrad later wr
Paul Bryant
Sep 30, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
“Anything approaching the change that came over his features I have never seen before, and hope never to see again. It was as though a veil had been rent. I saw on that furry visage the expression of somber pride, of ruthless power, of craven terror — of an intense and hopeless despair. He cried in a whisper at some image, at some vision—he cried out twice, a cry that was no more than a breath—

“‘The honey! The honey!’

“I blew the candle out and left the cabin. Tigger and Eeyore were dining in the
Pouting Always
A story about Marlow's journey upriver to rescue Kurtz who has gone wild and controls the natives. I didn't enjoy it the writing was so dry and dense and I had to work to get through all the way to the end. I didn't like the way the natives were portrayed or Africa in general either. I don't understand why Africa and it's inhabitants always need to be symbols for wildness or destruction and I just couldn't get into the story at all. I honestly hate reading classics.

Loretta
I must have picked this book up to read and put it down three times out of sheer boredom! By the fourth time I picked it back up and powered through somehow. What a tedious bore! Why this book is considered a classic is beyond me.
Leslie
Sep 05, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I know as an English major I am supposed to find this work brilliant and important, but I just don't. I hate it. I hated it the first time I read it, the second time I read it, AND the third time I read it.
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
It doesn't get much grimmer than this.

description

In the late 1800s, Charles Marlow is appointed as a captain of a river steamboat for an ivory trading company in Africa. He travels up the Congo river toward his appointment with the steamboat and with fate, in the form of Kurtz, the megalomaniac manager of an ivory trading station two hundred miles up the river.
But the wilderness had found him out early, and had taken on him a terrible vengeance for the fantastic invasion. I think it had whispered to him t
Michalyn
Jan 10, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
This is a book I read twice and will probably never read again. I try to see this as a "great" novel but I have always wished Conrad had achieved a greater separation between his own voice and Marlow's. For me his inability to do so made it difficult to stomach the inherent racism in the book. The passage that will always stick out in my mind is the one in which the narrator muses that an educated black man is as "unnatural" as a dog putting on clothes and walking on its hindlegs.

That said, I do
Warwick

I had thought this was a re-read but, about halfway through, it all started seeming new to me, so perhaps I never finished it the first time round. It wouldn't surprise me – although the book is short, and its plot slight, it somehow contrives to feel extremely dense. Like a pocket Moby-Dick, it begins with a atmospheric Gothic opening and then sort of coagulates into a treacly mass of archaism, narrative grandstanding and morbid watery ruminations.

Conrad is strangely coy about identifying the C
Ian "Marvin" Graye
Ship of Fools

The narrator of the framing story tells us early on who is present on board a yacht sitting immobile in the Thames (a river of commerce and pleasure!): the Company Director, the Lawyer, the Accountant, Charlie Marlow, and the unnamed narrator himself.

The narrator seems to represent us, the audience. Marlow does the talking. The group could almost be the executive that runs a trading company, although what unites them is the bond of the sea:

"Besides holding our hearts together throug
Annie
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2015

The dark masses had begun to congregate. Branches thumping against the glass and iron bars, in rhythm to some obscure, some lost song of the wild. The tendrils of darkness that took birth in the vacuums that the sun's warmth had just forsaken, had started their ascent :first shy, then bold, then complete. And when their majesty was absolute; pieces of the night sky, shining almost silver in the blackness met the pools of shades offered by the oozing earth with a coy surrender.

I opened a window.

Laysee
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: five-star-books
The Heart of Darkness is a slim novel that belies the immense profundity it reveals about human nature. I re-read it after many years and understood again why it left me sober, tearful and broken when the last page was turned. Marlow, the seaman narrator, told the story of his journey into the heart of the African interior and his encounter with the natives and most notably, Kurtz, the ivory agent, a much revered white man. To me, the journey into the heart of darkness is the unraveling of what ...more
Traveller
Jan 13, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Many people seem to think that this story is just about racism, but that is missing the main point. It is true that much of Conrad's fiction seems racist in tone, but one must take that from whence it comes; he was writing at a time when European Colonialism, (and sadly racism too) was in full swing. It is of course inevitable that writers will reflect some of the mores of their era, and also that some writers will examine the prevailing mores and comment on them.

However, the inner message of th
Richard Derus
Book Circle Reads 19

Rating: 3* of five

The Publisher Says: More than a century after its publication (1899), Heart of Darkness remains an indisputably classic text and arguably Conrad's finest work.

This extensively revised Norton Critical Edition includes new materials that convey nineteenth-century attitudes toward imperialism as well as the concerns of Conrad's contemporaries about King Leopold's exploitation of his African domain. New to the Fourth Edition are excerpts from Adam Hochschild's
Simona Bartolotta
3.5

“I think [the wilderness] had whispered to him things about himself which he did not know, things of which he had no conception till he took counsel with this great solitude - and the whisper had proved irresistibly fascinating. It echoed loudly within him because he was hollow at the core.”

Heart of Darkness is as easy to read as it is easy for me to rate it. (That is, not easy at all.) It is the classic example of a work that makes me ask myself what it is I'm rating when I rate my books: si
Edward
Apr 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Acknowledgements
Chronology
Introduction to 'Heart of Darkness'
Introduction to 'The Congo Diary'
Further Reading
A Note on the Texts
Map of the River Congo

--Heart of Darkness
--The Congo Diary

Appendix: Author's Note (1917)
Notes
Glossary of Nautical Terms
Adina
Jul 10, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics, 1001, congo
A beautifully written dark ramble.

Do not be fooled by the fact this book is short. It is actually very dense, hard to read, with long paragraphs and endless metaphors. Even the rare dialog was inserted in a big, bulky paragraph.

I found it strenuous to follow the line of the story. The author was jumping from one idea to the next in the blink of an eye and the prose was so full of pompous words that I was lost among them like in the darkness of the deep, unreal jungle he was describing.

Here's a

• Lord of the Flies
  • Anna Karenina
  • Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (Harry Potter, #7)
  • The Handmaid's Tale
  • The Waste Land and Other Writings
  • A Dance to the Music of Time: 3rd Movement (A Dance to the Music of Time, #7-9)
  • A Passage to India
  • A Bend in the River
  • A Wrinkle in Time (Time Quintet, #1)
  • Death in Venice and Other Tales
  • The Good Soldier
  • Winesburg, Ohio
  • The Canterbury Tales: A Selection
  • Bartleby and Benito Cereno
  • A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man
  • The Man Who Would Be King
  • The Way of All Flesh
Joseph Conrad (born Józef Teodor Konrad Korzeniowski ) was a Polish-born English novelist who today is most famous for Heart of Darkness, his fictionalized account of Colonial Africa.

Conrad left his native Poland in his middle teens to avoid conscription into the Russian Army. He joined the French Merchant Marine and briefly employed himself as a wartime gunrunner. He then began to work aboard Br
“We live as we dream--alone....” 2151 likes