Start by marking “Architects of Intelligence: The truth about AI from the people building it” as Want to Read:
Architects of Intelligence: The truth about AI from the people building it

Architects of Intelligence: The truth about AI from the people building it

Financial Times Best Books of the Year 2018

TechRepublic Top Books Every Techie Should Read

Book Description:

How will AI evolve and what major innovations are on the horizon? What will its impact be on the job market, economy, and society? What is the path toward human-level machine intelligence? What should we be concerned about as artificial intelligence advances?

Published November 23rd 2018 by Packt Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Architects of Intelligence, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Architects of Intelligence

Start your review of Architects of Intelligence: The truth about AI from the people building it
☘Misericordia☘ ~ The Serendipity Aegis ~  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈ ✺❂❤❣
Rah-rah!
We're all so heads over heels ga-ga!
Over all the intelligence,
The artificial pseudo-one,
That's not precisely intelligent,
Or even precise (often!).
But rather's pretty bonkers.
Will it wage war on us?
Or is it?

Basically a mix of interviews bordering on a mix of conjecture, hype and really vague thoughts on AI.
Not too illuminating. DNF.
Khyati Gautam
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Artificial Intelligence is a revolutionary concept which has come to grasp the humanity and take the time ahead on wings. It is transitioning from the realm of sci-fi to the reality of our daily lives. The time is not far when every basic human action would be commanded and aided by machines. But are we really prepared for such a consequence where machines would actually slave us?

To numerous questions pertaining to our existential threats and development, Architects of Intelligence is a complete
Dan
The insight this book gives is how the views to the AI future vary widely among those 23 (or 24 if we include the author Martin Ford) top frontiers of the AI. The book also shows AI technology and implications on culture, economy, ethics, regulation are evolving.

This would be a great book for those who started learning AI/machine learning. The book would help prevent one from developing a dogmatic view of the AI. Martin Ford did a fantastic job of crowdsourcing the meta-knowledge of the AI
Jim Lavis
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book answered a lot of my question about the development of artificial intelligence (AI). Artificial Intelligence is going disrupt the world in so many ways. It’s going to change the world as we know it, and it’s happening as I write this review.

The book talks about the risks, rewards and timelines associated with this new development. My fear is that the general public is not that literate or aware of what’s happening in our world and many will suffer, because they’re not prepared.

Some
Anas Bashir
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After reading this book, I can say I am a little better informed on what Artificial Intelligence is all about and better placed to understand the hype surrounding the technology.

Martin Ford, the author, rightly, starts the book by defining what is AI (there are difference of opinions amongst the technologists on this) and terms like back propagation, convoluted neural network, etcetera. Moreover you get to hear (read) about AI from several horses’ mouths, pioneers and trailblazers, some of who
Jane Robertson
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
A series of interviews wirh people prominent in the field of AI research. What's happening in AI now, some history and where they see successful or interesting pathways in thr future. Everyone is asked about AGI (artificial general intelligence) and when they think it might happen. It's quite interesting to read about the different strategies researchers are using in AI and what the future of work for humans.
Suzie Choi
Apr 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
No doubt an insightful book, however the format of the book made it seem a bit repetitive by the end of it. Had it been a bit shorter or more varied in the questions the author asked interviewees, may have been more engaging through to the last chapters
Joonas Kiminki
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bible on AI. Not the lightest of reads, but highly recommended.
Alex Cloak
Oct 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
great collection of interviews with act and thought leaders in the field of AI
Irene
Jan 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Meh. A compilation of oral interviews, transcribed from audio recordings. Because very little editing was done, they are sometimes repetitive or vague or assume a level of knowledge beyond my comprehension. A fair amount of biographical information is presented, such as where so-and-so went to school, what degrees he or she earned, etc. Some AI terms are sorta, kinda explained, but a lot of terms are left undefined or underdefined, so I did a lot of searching on Google (yes, I see the irony, ...more
Nathan Kaiser
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Unfortunately, I missed the insights that I expected.

In addition, the book format did not work for me: it is a verbatim collection of interviews the author held with several people active in the AI space.
Chouba Nabil
Dec 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
it's a book that shares vision and view form expert on the field not like other science fiction books

Computers are useless they answer questions rather asking them ( by Picasso )

We are not going out of jobs because we will not have a shortage of problemes

Technology self regulate itself, people will lose their jobs but a counter force is people need time to learn how to use the new technology

Ai may make task stupid like taxi drivers, no need to be smart: it will push salaries to low

Highly
Alex Stoll
Dec 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely appreciated the perspectives of the relative AI reserachers that this book offered.

To a certain degree this book was a little repetitive because similiar questions were asked to the 23 (there wouldnt have been a better structure possible to show each person's opinions I guess) experts but nonetheless, there were also mostly new informations in each interview.

I also hoped to learn more about AI techniques which I definitely did, but the book stayed more general, which is completely
Phillip Rhodes
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ai
Very enlightening series of interviews with a number of the top AI researchers working in the field today. If y0u're at all interested in AI, where it's going, how it will impact humanity going forward, or related issues, this book is absolutely for you. Also, if you've read Nick Bostrom's book Super Intelligence and found it of interest, I think this book makes a great companion to that volume. Bostrom and his work are frequently commented on by the researchers interviewed here.

The only knock I
Tom
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very timely journey through the current state of the art and directions the future is taking as we speak. The individuals interviewed are truly extraordinary and their insights are often contradictory but it makes for a fascinating read overall. The way it is split up into interviews makes it easy to dip into whenever you have time. I found some great references among these pages of things to follow up on e.g documentaries and projects to look into. I also think that this overview ...more
Tom Taulli
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Funny thing, I found out about this book from the recommendation engine from my account on Amazon.com. So score another one for machine learning!

And yes, I'm glad that Amazon.com made the recommendation. The book provides interviews of the top people in AI, whether academics, VCs or entrepreneurs. In other words, there is a diversity of opinion.

I also like how the author covers the key topics of AI: deep learning, the prospects of general AI, and so on.

All in all, if you want a great
Peter O'Kelly
Dec 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Anyone interested in the past, present, and possible future of AI will find this book very useful.

Author synopsis: https://medium.com/@MFordFuture/the-t...

Reviews/interviews:
Neil H
Aug 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There's enough interviews here to boggle your mind. From the most eminent technocrats of Artificial Intelligence to the pioneers who have lived thorough and are still challenging themselves with the mysteries of attaining and coping with effective and affective intelligence on bio and neurological systems. We have in this book series upon series of nuance ideas articulating why, how, when what intelligence is. How they fulfill the scientists working on it and how they will initiate the most ...more
HWZhu
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
A good overview of the opinions of all the leaders in the field. However, the author seems to be obsessed with "general intelligence" and "AI destroying humans". He isn't asking the right people for these scientific fiction questions . . . I think this book is in the awkward middle ground between explaining the technical details of modern neural networks and an outside, commercial, philosophical, or historical viewpoint.
Sławek Żak
Apr 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Biggest names of AI and ML in one place - including Le Cunn, Bengio and Geoff Hinton. The book is a series of interviews built around the themes of history, promise and dangers of artificial intelligence. Ford gets repetitive with the questions but his subjects make up for it quite handsomely.

Good read for both practitioners and the uninitiated.
Ethan J
Feb 18, 2019 rated it liked it
* it was helpful to index all the great minds, by searching them online I got exposed to so many new things
* some ideas were really inspiring, mostly about their past work and thoughts
* the part touching "the future" regarding AGI, social impact really isn't helpful, feels nothing new and everybody says not different things
Natu Lauchande
Jun 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Five hundred pages from the authorities of the field. A much less glamorous than the press view of what was achieved so far and the limitations of the winners of the day. Worthy of the effort to get into the minds of interesting scientists and engineers.
Mark Congiusta
Sep 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2019
Interview a bunch of different people, ask them the same questions, get a bunch of different answers. This can get repetitive. Also, it's repetitive.
Luiz Marques
Dec 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very enjoyable, and I learned a lot from these interviews. Well worth the time.
Vlad Bezden
Apr 13, 2019 rated it it was ok
It's hard to read this book for every single scientist. I think you just choose some of them read and done.
Rasmus Engholm
Jan 20, 2020 rated it really liked it
Really interesting lineup - the absolute elite within AI is here, but the format gets a little tired with the same questions for all (more than 30 interviewees).
Juro
Jan 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting interviews.
Ferhat Culfaz
Overview of the field and where it is heading from leading people in that area.
Kevin Whitaker
Aug 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, tech-data
I read a lot about the bigger picture of AI for work, and this is by far the best overview of the biggest issues in the field today, featuring nearly all of the biggest names. Because it's focused on longer-term topics, it should hold up for at least a few years even as the field develops rapidly.

Three things I learned:
1. From Stuart Russell: The first "self-driving car" existed 30 years ago (Ernst Drickmanns' demo in Germany could drive on the freeway, change lanes, and overtake other
Isaiah Nields
A good book to get the full spectrum of opinions on AI. I had two qualms, however:

1. Too much discussion of AGI. We are no where close to AGI and that pretty much sums it up.
2. Too much repeated content. You'll hear many of the same opinions expressed over and over in different interviews.

• AI Superpowers: China, Silicon Valley, and the New World Order
  • Machine, Platform, Crowd: Harnessing Our Digital Future
  • The Singularity is Near: When Humans Transcend Biology
  • The Hundred-Page Machine Learning Book
  • Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow
  • Blitzscaling: The Lightning-Fast Path to Building Massively Valuable Companies
  • Deep Learning
  • Insane Mode: How Elon Musk's Tesla Sparked an Electric Revolution to End the Age of Oil
  • The Big Nine: How the Tech Titans and Their Thinking Machines Could Warp Humanity
  • Deep Medicine: How Artificial Intelligence Can Make Healthcare Human Again
  • The Gendered Brain: The New Neuroscience That Shatters the Myth of the Female Brain
  • Hello World: Being Human in the Age of Algorithms
  • Infinite Powers: How Calculus Reveals the Secrets of the Universe
  • Our Final Invention: Artificial Intelligence and the End of the Human Era

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Martin Ford is the author of the two books Rise of the Robots: Technology and the Threat of a Jobless Future (2015) and The Lights In the Tunnel: Automation, Accelerating Technology and the Economy of the Future (2009) — both dealing with the effects of automation and mass-unemployment. He is the founder of a Silicon Valley-based software development firm, and obtained a computer engineering ...more
“Different people have different levels of understanding of the many things around them, and science is about trying to deepen our understanding of those many things.” 1 likes
“This gives us a lot more than just a visual model: it also gives us a physical model of objects.” 0 likes