Start by marking “Staying at Daisy's” as Want to Read:
Staying at Daisy's

Staying at Daisy's

If you're looking for a hotel where anything can happen, try staying at Daisy's...

Daisy MacLean runs the country house hotel owned by her flamboyant father, Hector. When she hears who's about to get married there, she isn't worried at all - her friend Tara absolutely promises there won't be any trouble between her and ex-boyfriend Dominic, whom she hasn't seen for years.

Published August 19th 2002 by Headline Review (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Staying at Daisy's, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Staying at Daisy's

Start your review of Staying at Daisy's
Brianna (The Book Vixen)
Review copy provided by publisher

Why I Read this Book: Once in a blue moon, I like to read a good chick-lit novel. Way back when (after I had read the Harry Potter series and I was trying to find my reading groove), I dabbled in a bit of click-lit. I’m not a huge fan of the genre so a book really has to grab my attention in order for me to read it. In fact, I have about 10 chick-lit books on my shelf, that have been on my shelf for over 3 years, that are waiting for me to read. When I get in the
Goddess Of Blah
Oct 18, 2010 rated it did not like it
DUMB. DUMB. DUMB. SO DUMB IT HURTS.
description
JUST SHUT UP. YOU'RE STUPID.
NO MORE PLEASE! YOU DUMB B****

description

Jill Mansell's books (that I have had the misfortune to read) have so far been an insult to any self-respecting intelligent (or even semi-intelligent) audience. All seem to follow the same premise of ultra chick lit trash. Be prepared to lose brain cells when reading her trite, clichéd rubbish.

The heroine is generally naïve and either unsuccessful in her career or from a disadvantaged background. A
Sabrina
Jun 18, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Folks, I can finally announce that I’ve grown up and that I’m completely and unquestionably done with reading romance books!

While this book was not particularly bad for a romance novel, it was just the last straw: too many clichés, eye-roll after eye-roll and of course the extremely sweet ever after… I just can’t take it anymore: life’s too short to waste on “fantasies” (pun intended).
Talar
Feb 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, chick-lit
This is a cute book! Very predictable chick lit type book (I could see it being made into a romantic comedy movie one day) but very enjoyable. The characters are cute and you feel like you really get to know them, very likeable. My only complaint, and it's not just with this book but with any book I've read by this author, is that the story just kind of wraps up really quickly at the end. You know the whole time who is going to get together, that much is obvious, but it all literally happens in ...more
Luanne Ollivier
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I want something light, easy and fun to read, Jill Mansell is always a sure bet. Staying at Daisy's was a winner.

Daisy MacLean manages a small hotel owned by her father Hector is a village in England. The hotel is the setting for a wedding that seems to touch off events for the friends, family and employees of Daisy's hotel.

Daisy has been burned before in love and has no interest in best man Dev - mind you he is awfully handsome... And Daisy's best friend and chambermaid Tara just happens
Alexandra WhimsyPages
Daisy, Daisy, Daisy… Despite the name, no one could call her a delicate flower. She was the most charismatic character from all the books I’ve read in a past few months. She was funny, ironic, often sarcastic, but still stayed warm-hearted and a true friend, helping out people she cared about, all while herself was going through a fairly tough time.

The romances (yes, plural), intrigues, friendship, family… Just name it this book has it all. There were different plots going on at the same time,
Dana Al-Basha دانة الباشا
[Wednesday, January 22, 2014] The first time I picked a Jill Mansell's book was by my exceeding boredom, and now I'm so glad I stumbled upon this author. Jill has a defined style when it comes to storytelling, there is always a new beginning, a new hope and second chances with her books. Now that I -kind of- passed my vampire phase, I now indulge myself in her romantic modern England as much as I can. If you're close to 30, flirty and fabulous, I'm sure your little heart will adore her ...more
Melindeeloo
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chicklit
3.5 stars - I like these, but I had a few nits, with a couple of the side pairs...and I really wish these would have a epilog because they always end with the main pair deciding to 'give it a go' and I would like a more solidified HEA
Anne Brooke
This is a fun light read which you can pick up and put down again without anything essential being lost. For me, it needed about a third of it cutting as 500 pages for a comic romance is ridiculous. It also has a lot of scenarios we've all read before and one scenario that is basically pinched from a real-life story of a few years ago - which seemed to be cheating somewhat ... However, I kept on reading, and it's all nicely sorted out in the end, which is exactly what you need in a light ...more
Meredith Schorr
Apr 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Another book that has solidified the author as one of my new favorites. Her writing is hilarious and her characters are charming. I love that her books have more than one central story line and so, even though the blurb revolves around Daisy, there are other stories which, in my opinion, were equally pertinent to the story and captured (and held) my attention. Although I expected a happy-ever-after for all the players, this one was even a bit unpredictable as I honestly wasn't sure what was ...more
Anne
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Okay, yes, it is fluff. It is fantasy romance and the girl always gets the overly-attractive-but-secretly-humble guy. But her characters are so quirky and lovable, and her sense of humor makes her books so easy to read. And you just can't help but get drawn in! So good when my brain needs a vacation. :)
Brandi
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
Downloaded to my Kindle and fell in love with these crazy people. Daisy leads a very interesting life trying to keep the people around her in line and organized but no one looks out for her. Except for the one guy she would never think of. This is a really good escape...funny and romantic.
Barbs
Aug 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
Boring, predictable and should be a Mills and Boon.
Kathleen Crowell
Mar 06, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Drivel. Boring and totally cliche.
Gina
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book! So many different little storylines to follow and excellent characters. Will definitely read more of this author!!
Judi Easley
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers of crazy messes that sort themselves out in the end!
Recommended to Judi by: favored author
What it’s about…

Daisy runs the hotel owned by her father, Hector MacLean. And it’s a regular soap opera at Daisy’s and around the village as chambermaids almost stop weddings, old friends come to visit, and washing machines break down.

Will everyone find their “happily ever after”?

Technical Tidbits…

The cover is a classic Jill Mansell look. The pretty colored pencil hand-drawn designs that are so feminine. Usually, there’s one element that relates to the story and this time it’s the dog. In our
Rachel
Jan 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant book but I don't expect anything else from Jill Mansell. They always end happily and I can normally predict who is going to get with who but it doesn't spoil the story at all. Jill is always my go to author when I want a nice feel good book after I have read a book that I have found a little hard to read.
Staying at Daisy's is a hotel you would want to stay if you want fun and entertainment especially if the owner is anything like Hector, Daisy's dad, who pays for sex with local woman
Iona Sharma
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
DNF. I love Jenny Colgan and (some of) Chrissie Manby, who are probably the other two most well-known authors of this type of book, and let's be real I adore pastel-coloured chicklit. And this one is easy to read and has an absolutely fantastic hook: Daisy, in chapter 1, is visited by the police. They're here to let her know her husband has died in a car crash, oh, and, the girl he was with is absolutely fine. So I got to the halfway point on that alone, but... still. There are nicer men in this ...more
Juniper Shore
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: drama, romance, comedy
I don't know why I keep reading books by Jill Mansell. They are consistently mediocre--predictable, shallow and overlong. I think the secret is that they really are completely consistent. When you pick up one of these novels, you know exactly what you're going to get. No surprises here.

Staying at Daisy's is another entry in the hot-guest-meets-lonely-innkeeper subgenre. (I don't know if such a subgenre exists, but at least one of Mansell's other books followed the same plot, so she may be
Katrina
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
A lovely romantic comedy with well-drawn characters and some great comic moments. Top scene may be the middle-aged aunt taking the washing machine repair man “hostage” in order to get the company to finally fix her ailing washing machine. Funny, heart-warming and at times insightful. I will definitely read more of this author!
Stephanie
May 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
I've read a few Jill Mansell novels and a couple of them I really enjoyed. I hated "Staying at Daisy's". I didn't like a single character, the story was unoriginal, forced most of the time, and just plain boring. It took me WAY too long to read because I wanted to do just about anything but pick this up. I would not recommend this one, especially if it's your first Mansell read.
Venkitesh Mathakode
Nov 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Jill Mansell is a British author well-known for her chick-lit books, and I believe this is not one of her best novels. So I am definitely very curious to read other books written by her. enjoyed this but not the funniest of her books. Easy read. Predictable at the end no suspense or twists in the story.
BookWorm
Dec 24, 2019 rated it liked it
I re-read this for the first time in years. It's light and fun and Daisy is rather entertaining. There's some frustrating moments but overall it's a fun feel good read. As is often the case with these books the ending is stingy. I would have liked a generous epilogue to really convince me about the happy ever after. Daisy and Dev had excellent chemistry but we hardly saw them together.
Em
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fabulous read

Jill Mansell does make it tricky to chose a favourite of her books. This book is a lovely relaxing read which had me captured. It’s about moving on and forgiving. I loved it. Another favourite.
Bhuvaneswari Padmanabhan
Love Jill Mansell books. But this one is not giving much.

I only feel one demerit. That is, not having enough romance between the main characters. I mean the main characters tell they love each other only during last chapter. I look forward to reading all her books!
Mayisha
Mar 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Awww, another fun Jill Mansell read. It was sweet and a light read, but a little infuriating. Her characters and plot are very predictable at this point, and honestly, only two of them have every actually stood out to me. But if you're looking for a nice read-- this is it.
Bookworman
Dec 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Good not great. As one of Mansell’s earlier books, I knew I was taking a chance but it was worth it. An enjoyable story with engaging characters but probably not a re-read.

A few scattered f-bombs and some passionate kissing.
Sandra Pearson
Sep 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jill Mansell can do no wrong on my bookshelf. When it comes to something not too heavy but still well written characters. She's definitely one of my go to authors. Her books are often based around Bath and Bristol area which is close to me so a bonus
Erica Chaillot
Sep 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Sweet ending but tended to be longer than necessary. I liked how there were many main characters that were well-developed and the setting was quaint and beautiful. I do plan on trying another one of her books, as they’re rated higher.
wendy green
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable

To be honest I got this book by mistake not something I would normally read but happy to say good mistake I have really enjoyed reading it and will now mix up my reading material

• A Vintage Wedding
  • Swallowtail Summer
  • A Perfect Cornish Summer (Porthmellow Harbour #1)
  • Summer on the Italian Lake
  • A Home From Home
  • Amazing Grace
  • The Christmas Invitation
  • The Lemon Tree Hotel
Jill Mansell lives with her partner and children in Bristol, and writes full time. Actually that’s not true; she watches TV, eats fruit gums, admires the rugby players training in the sports field behind her house, and spends hours on the internet marvelling at how many other writers have blogs. Only when she’s completely run out of displacement activities does she write.

Jill Mansell's books have