Start by marking “A Deceptive Bargain (The Beckett Files #5)” as Want to Read:
A Deceptive Bargain (The Beckett Files #5)

A Deceptive Bargain

(The Beckett Files #5)

Hiding from the horrors of her past, Miss Martha Haskett is content living her days serving as a lady's maid to her friend Eliza, the Marchioness of Lansdowne. But then her father, the new Earl of Waterford, shows up, with the shocking news that she is now a titled lady. Further turning her life upside down, he proposes a bargain. She will have a single Season in London, a

Published October 1st 2018 by Phase Publishing

To ask other readers questions about A Deceptive Bargain, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Deceptive Bargain

Start your review of A Deceptive Bargain (The Beckett Files #5)
Chesney
Oct 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
Loved learning about Emmett’s story and Martha too. A great ending to the series. Or is it?
Cathy
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Laura Beers writes some of my very favorite Regency Romances. I love the way she includes spies as part of her plots. And they are all such clever and fun characters! It makes me happy the way that each of this author’s books opens up the world she has created more and more.

This one features Martha, she’s Eliza’s maid. But there is so much more to her than the reader would guess. Martha was sold to a despicable man, by someone who was close to her. She’s not at all trustful of men, and she never
Christina
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic Regency Suspense!

I have really enjoyed all the books in this series and was ecstatic to get my hands on this newest one. It did not disappoint!

From the first time I met the protagonist Martha (from the first book in the series) I have wanted to see her have her own story. She has such a heartbreaking and utterly devastating past. The author did such a great job showing how deeply Martha was affected by her past through her actions and reactions. Her trauma felt so real and wasn’t somet
⭐Richelle
I have seriously loved every book in this series. One of the things I love is how the entire web of the mystery/spy element only gets further enriched with each story. You definitely need to read this series in order to follow the spy element and not be lost as to who is who, what is going on, etc.

I could not put this book down. I absolutely loved Emmett, I'm glad to see him get his own love story. He is so sweet and gentle with Martha. Theirs is a tender love story.

Romance - Sweet and Clean
La
Stephanie
May 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Martha Hackett is still recovering from the trauma of being sold into prostitution. She was rescued by Agents of the Crown and now resides with her rescuers, acting as a lady's maid for Lady Eliza Landsdowne. Martha has not reconnected with her family or much of society since the trauma, especially men. After a particularly bad flu, she is just beginning to trust Dr. Emmett Maddix, the family doctor who stayed by her side throughout the illness. When Martha father shows up without warning, he br ...more
Kelly  The Sassy Book Lover
This one will rock you to your core. It's a journey to love through some shocking twists and learning to let go of blame. It's a really nice change to see the hero be the one to saving someone from the dark they've put themselves in. Their relationship was very different and really took time to turn from friendship to love. I had a feeling to what her father was up to but had no clue to what everything was going to be. I didn't see who was behind everything coming at all or the twist of the bow ...more
D
Aug 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Patti
Mar 06, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“A Deceptive Bargain” is #5 in the Regency Spy series. I must say that reading them in order makes the series far more enjoyable. This one is the story of Martha, a young woman with a sad five-year story of betrayal, kidnap, slavery, and finally rescue. The scars on this sweet lady are deep and seemingly everlasting.

Through the kindness of Eliza, (one of the spies) she is safe and feels wanted, although she shutters at the touch or attention of men. Due to an injury, Martha becomes a patient of
Rachel
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Reviewed for www.compassbookratings.com

Overall Review:
A Deceptive Bargain is author Laura Beers' finest book yet! This Regency Spy Romance is a continuation of the Shadow series. Beers has done extensive research to convey 1814 England and readers will find themselves carried away to the time period. Besides being an entertaining story rife with danger and mystery, this is a powerful and emotional tale. Several chapters in A Deceptive Bargain are told from the point-of-view of a nineteenth cent
Katherine
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed another clean romance by Laura Beers - I can't get enough of them. But, Martha does have a difficult back story that some may find a trigger point (physical and sexual abuse). However, I think Laura does a great job bringing the seriousness of the issue and Martha's healing without allowing the burden of her story to burden the reader. While I wouldn't place the story in the inspirational genera, Laura offers the reader solid advice about healing and being at peace with your ...more
Julie
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series. They are all stand alone but they have characters in common. A deceptive bargain is Martha and Emmett's story. Martha has been through a living hell and survived. She is staying with Lord and Lady Lansdowne when she is introduced to Dr. Emmett Maddix. Martha has a fear of all men due to her past. Dr. Emmett helps her to overcome her fears and helps her to realize what a strong woman she has become. Along with the romance there is also intrigue in this book. Something is happe ...more
Terressa
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoy the writing style of this author! I always struggle to speed read or slow down and enjoy her stories. Each book gets better and each story is so different. I think the cover of this book is my favorite but the story is equal to that of the rest of the series. This story is wonderfully written. Five solid stars!

Disclosure statement:
I receive complimentary books for review from publishers, publicists,
and/or authors, including Netgalley. I am not required to write positive
reviews
Jasmyn
Nov 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Another great story in the Beckett Files

I've read the whole series of the Beckett Files so once I saw 'A Deceptive Bargain' I had a pretty good idea that I'd enjoy this one. Clean romance, girls kicking butt, adventure, and suspense. Yep, this is my kind of book!
I stayed up to 3am reading this beauty! I'm paying for the lack of sleep today but I don't regret my choice.
Even though I knew where Beers was heading in the story line I still felt the suspense and most importantly the romance...*sigh*
Chunter14
Oct 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this series! And this book did not disappoint. At this point we have come to expect that someone is going to get kidnapped, there is going to be a battle or fight of some king, and there will definitely be a love story... but the stories are always told in a way that hooks you so you never get tired of it. And I like that our favorite characters from past books are brought back and make appearances in the other books. I look forward to reading the next one.
LaRue
Dec 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unexpected

I don't normally enjoy books with the abuse of women as an integral part of the story, but this was well coordinated in the plot as the characters developed in harmony with an exciting plot. Well done. Very well done. Making Shadow, Hawk, and Sunshine a part of the story was just the right amount of spice to give the 5 stars.
Robyn Echols
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Suspenseful Historical Romance

I enjoyed this romance which dealt with a difficult topic of recovery after abuse by one character and guilt over the death of someone by the other. The author effectively portrayed each of those characters well. Suspense and intrigue as well as the twist of a former love coming on the scene kept the story interesting.
Barbara Munson
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read!

Wow! I love this story of people who overcome horrible challenges in their lives and find joy and happiness by reaching outside themselves and serving others. Such a moving story
Deanna Mcalpin
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fabulous Read

This Whole series is an excellent read. Don’t start reading late in the evening because you will you be up all night! Very well written with intrigue and suspense. Love the Attitude of the characters.
D'anah
Oct 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good

An involved drama. Lots of bad guys, lots of good people aiming to put a stop to them. A great ending which shows good friends can help heal the deepest wounds, and great pain need not steal joy and love from our lives.
Virginie
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Amazing story

As usual Laura Beers brought us in the regency era to fight with her characters. I really love that serie. It's very well written and the characters are amazing yet flawed. A must read
Bob
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Deceptive bargain. Bob

An excellent. And well written story. Hard to put down suspenseful exciting and full of knowledge about the life and political theme of the time. Would recommend to anyone. Anxious to read another of her stories.
Jen Weipert
Oct 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I wish I had a man like Dr. Emmett Maddix. Could he have been more of a gentleman to Lady Martha!
Intriguing story line. Wonderful love story. I loved the ending. Martha finally got her happily ever after.
Karen Beachum
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great read!!

Laura Beers keep me enthralled from page one to the end! Love this series! I love the characters, the challenges they face- and the way the story unfolds. Already looking forward to her next book!!
Monica Partida
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Splendid, splendid, splendid!!!

These books just keep getting better and better. Emmet and Martha always made my heart sad with their story. But this book had a wonderful and intriguing plot, making me eager to find out how it ends. Another great read! Can’t wait for book 6!!!
Kayla Feil
Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this series and this book did not disappoint. The spy/Regency novel combination is so compelling and each installment of the series shows people overcoming their trials through love and discovering their own personal strength. This book is just so, so good!
Rob
Apr 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excitement around every turn

While it is clear from the beginning that there is more than meets the eyes, the author's writing still leaves you excited to turn. The page and see what is next.
Diana Barnett
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have loved everyone one of these books. I just love how Laura Beers brought back the old characters in this one.. AWESOME BOOK...
Mackenzie Ferguson
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

Another great book by Laura Beers. I love getting to read about and explore each characters lives. I can’t wait for the next book.
Jenn
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Love this series

Even as the 5th book in the series, it’s great! I love that each character in this book has a connection. The story flows well and includes everyone and their past and future.
Rachel
Nov 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this book, most especially Martha. I loved her strength and bravery and giving heart. Emmett was also a fabulous character with great moral fortitude and kindness.

• The Spinster and I (The Spinster Chronicles, #2)
  • Fall from Trace (London League #5)
  • God Rest Ye Merry Spinster (The Spinster Chronicles, Book 5)
  • By Hook or By Rook (London League #4)
  • A Tip of the Cap (London League #3)
  • Spinster and Spice (The Spinster Chronicles, #3)
  • My Fair Spinster (The Spinster Chronicles, Book 4)
  • The Merry Lives of Spinsters (The Spinster Chronicles, #1)
  • A Rogue About Town (London League #2)
  • The Governess (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School #1)
  • The Rivals of Rosennor Hall (Entangled Inheritance #3)
  • The Beauty (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School Book 3)
  • The Spinster (Ladies of Miss Bell's Finishing School #4)
  • His Unexpected Heiress (Entangled Inheritance #2)
  • A Provision for Love (Entangled Inheritance #1)
  • An Unwelcome Suitor (Entangled Inheritance #4)
  • What a Spinster Wants (The Spinster Chronicles, #6)
  • A Convenient Engagement  (Brides of Brighton #1)

The Beckett Files (7 books)
  • Saving Shadow (The Beckett Files, #1)
  • A Peculiar Courtship (The Beckett Files, #2)
  • To Love a Spy (The Beckett Files #3)
  • A Tangled Ruse (The Beckett Files #4)
  • The Baron's Daughter (The Beckett Files Book 6)
  • The Unfortunate Debutante (The Beckett Files, Book 7)