Start by marking “Doctor Who: The Secret in Vault 13” as Want to Read:
Doctor Who: The Secret in Vault 13

Doctor Who: The Secret in Vault 13

In celebration of the first female Doctor Who in history and the new TV series airing October 7, 2018! Bestselling author David Solomons delivers a super smart and vibrant new heroine in an original adventure bursting with action and humor.

The Doctor has never faced a challenge quite like this.
A sinister school where graduation means death . . .
A monstrous mystery lurking
Published November 6th 2018 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Doctor Who, please sign up.

Start your review of Doctor Who: The Secret in Vault 13
Ken
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
With the new series deliberately avoiding too many continuity references, I was pleasantly surprised that a book thats predominantly amid at a younger reader is bursting with them!

Any story that references Argolis and Metebelis III in the same chapter is going to earn browny points from me!
It really helped set the tone for which is a fun adventure hoping romp.

I got a real sense that this book would be perfect for parents wanting to enjoy an adventure with The Doctor alongside their children.
The
Jim C
Sep 17, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is based on the television show. It is intended for the younger audience and also serves as an introductory point for people who have never seen the show or read any of the books. This one features the Thirteenth Doctor with her companions Graham, Ryan, and Yaz. They face off against an enemy that wants to restart the universe which means death to everything that exists in the current universe.

Reading this book felt exactly like watching a episode from the television series with these
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
"now the Doctor and her companions" boi

it's been like 9 months since the announcement but it's still my favorite song
George Fowles
May 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot of fun and a complete indulgence for me. Written in a way that means you don’t actually need to have seen any Doctor Who episodes to follow the story, but at the same time there are plenty of references for whovian obsessed fans like me. The characters all seem to have been written the way they appear on the show, which made it easy to image the way they speak. The story moves quickly from scene to scene so you get to experience lots of mini adventures within the main one. I w ...more
Michael Cook
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am beginning to notice a trend with these books featuring the Thirteenth Doctor: I am liking them more than I liked a lot of the episodes in her first season. Perhaps it's the fact that the novels have a bit more time to fully tell the stories they are wanting to tell. Perhaps it's because these writers have an amazing grasp on these characters and the kinds of Doctor Who stories that work well in prose-form. Whatever the case, The Secret in Vault 13 is another excellent Doctor Who novel.

The S
Lori S.
Very enjoyable read/listen. Let's hear it for the author David Solmons and Sophie Aldred! ...more
Jaclyn Hillis
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I picked this up from the library because I was intrigued by the first female Doctor. I, however, have never seen an episode of Doctor Who — but you can follow along and enjoy this book regardless. It was action-packed from beginning to end, and I enjoyed the wit and interaction between the characters.
Chris Callaghan
Jul 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A fantastic and breathless Doctor Who story brimming with ideas and humour. So much fun!
Kieran McAndrew
Jun 04, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Doctor and her Companions are tasked with uncovering the mystery of the hidden Vault 13 in the Galactic Seed Vault, a secret which may expose the secret beginnings of the universe.

Solomons' novel, although aimed at children, is excitingly tied into the wider continuity of the Time Lord. A good introduction to 'Doctor Who' for younger fans, without being condescending to readers.
Ivana Richards
A really fun book packed with references.
Ian
Jul 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
An original adventure featuring the Thirteenth Doctor (Jodie Whittaker) and her companions Ryan, Graham and Yaz.
Receiving a mysterious summons, the Doctor and her friends discover that the Galactic Seed Vault is under threat and that a power which could destroy the universe is contained within. They then have to gather the keys to the vault in order to get to its heart before the fanatical Nightshade.

Straight out of the gate, it has to be said, Solomons totally nails the characters of this part
Meg
Aug 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In Doctor Who: The Secret in Vault 13, by David Solomons, the Doctor and her friends are traveling through space and time when Graham wants to stop by Earth to water his houseplants. His thirsty, suddenly talkative begonia starts the mystery, leading the friends to an alien species of gardeners, and a prophecy about the Thirteenth Doctor protecting the Genesis Seed from baddies who want to destroy the universe. I always prefer new characters and new villains, over another big reveal that another ...more
Ms. Yingling
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Library copy

Doc, along with sidekicks Yaz, young Ryan, and Ryan's grandfather Graham, manages to defeat an evil Space Lord by reprogramming his robotic army. Before long, though, Graham's begonia has a message for them that leads to an adventure with the Gardeners. They feel the Galactic Seed Vault is under attack from a long ago plot, and the Time Lord and her helpers rush to a wickedly cold planet to try to save the day. Most of the vaults have been destroyed when they arrive, but Vault 13 may
Sri P
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
For a children book, the Doctor and her companions seem to be more mature here than in other 13th Doctor episodes and books I've consumed. Yes, the author uses the word companions at least once, and no, the Doctor does not call Yaz her bestie.

Overall, this book is a fun read. "Okay, Doctor" is something that I could see the Doctor would do. It perhaps gets a bit too dark for younger children as soon as they get to the Dorm. The story moves along from one adventure to another, never gets bogged
Melissa
The D0ctor and Team Tardis (aka her Companions) have just rescued prisoners held by a self-styled Space Lord and have stopped off in Sheffield to pick up Graham's begonia before going on holiday. Once inside the TARDIS the plant begins to speak and hearing message the Doctor re-directs the TARDIS to the Gardeners' World. Thus begins the adventure titled "The Secret in Vault 13", a fun romp in the Doctor Who universe supposedly geared to the middle Grades but probably even more enjoyable for adul ...more
Mikey
Jun 28, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While targeted at younger readers than the usual New Series Adventures output, this is still a fun and action-packed story that I'd recommend to fans regardless of age.

The actual story itself is pretty light and fun for the most part, but it still has its occasional darker moments that you'd expect from your regular TV story, and the changing settings throughout the story - each featuring its own mini-adventure - allow each member of 'Team TARDIS' some great moments to shine, especially Ryan and
Teralyn
Stewart
Feb 24, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: no-longer-own
"Okay" is a great rating for this book, which had a fun premise, but then turned into a triple fetch quest into places that by all rights should have had their own novels written about them. It reads like the author had 4 Doctor Who stories, but couldn't flesh any of them out to a full-length novel, so he just smooshed them all together into one moderately coherent narrative.

Also, the production of the audiobook was supremely lackluster, without any music or ambient sound whatsoever. Maybe that'
Julie Garner
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kids, sf-fantasy
What a great fun read. Doctor Who aimed at the 9+ market and yet totally acceptable reading for a grown up. Solomons has done a wonderful job making this book appeal to Doctor Who fans as well as newbies. It is something that will be enjoyed by young and old alike.
This is a fast paced 13th Doctor adventure with her new companions. It explains regeneration, sonic screwdrivers and daleks in terms that won’t offend fans but also won’t confuse newbies.
The Doctor needs to save the galaxies world seed
Staraice
Great junior book, captures the feel of the show really well. I liked the nods, subtle and not so subtle, to both the history of the show and other pop culture, literary, or historical events and characters. A few boring bits, mostly when introducing new settings/background characters, but on the whole quick moving and filled with adventure. Each of the characters gets moments to shine, so if by some chance The Doctor isn't your favourite (how?) you're still going to be pleased. With a couple of ...more
John
Dec 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Struggling to really enjoy the new season with the Doctor. No issues with it being a woman but the shows just seem to have no real 'wow factor' like the others. Seems to be all touchy-feely stuff without really focusing on anything. Just to many companions and it takes away from this new emerging doctor and the drastic change from being a male Time Lord to suddenly being a female Time Lord after thousands of years. That aside, this story was awesome! It really did a great job of show casing the ...more
Tessa
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actual rating: 3,5 stars.

I am a collector too... of keys. Keys, keyboards... monkeys.

This didn’t seem like a children’s book at all! I really enjoyed the writing and the humour is spot on. The characters are exactly as they are in the show.
Ryan’s dyspraxia was mentioned and explained, which I appreciated a lot. There even were some references to the previous Doctors!

I wasn’t really caught up in the storyline though. Compared to the show's episodes, it seemed a bit weak and something was lack
Shelley
3.5. Graham's potted begonia leads our merry band of heroes to a Galactic Seed Vault that could lead to the destruction of the universe. This was silly, clever, full of great references and great moments, with some excellent mysteries and adventures and scary moments. And somehow the writing never grabbed me, and I couldn't get into it. Clearly a case of reader mismatch, because I can see how well it was written and how much fun the author had with it, and how so many people can and will love it ...more
ProfBen10
A fun, episodic romp through the universe in the TARDIS. Nothing more. While I enjoyed the numerous references to the classic TV show, some of them were a bit heavy-handed. The story almost never takes itself seriously, which I often in enjoy in my Doctor Who.

While this isn't the greatest Doctor Who story I've found in novel form, I had a lot of fun with it and each member of the TARDIS felt like they had an important role to play.

Good, harmless Doctor Who fun. Nothing more and nothing less.
Dan Snyder
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story! When thinking of what to say, I notice that words fail me on this one! But, this story doesn't quite follow the same pattern as the stories I have read before, in fact, instead of a single, full, TV story, this seems like it could fit into a full, New Who, series! (Though, it's very doubtful that it'll happen, despite my wishes.) A great way to get baçk into the swing of New Who, especially with the latest Doctor, and the TARDIS team! ...more
Elmer
Jul 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This just highlighted how bad the writing was last season.
Ryan and Yaz actually had personalities, they had hobbies and interests and they felt like they could almost be people.
The plot was compelling and fast moving, the story was a pleasure to read, I didn't find myself getting bored. It didn't feel high stakes even though it was but I think that is down to the fact that I'm not really the books demographic.
Helen Hnin
This was such a fun book to read! I can't believe it took me months to get into the story. There were so many fun moments and the author did such a great job of handling the characters. He exactly nailed them! Every 13th doctor novel has been great so far, which makes me wish the tv show writers can just step it up a bit.

Also, now I'm convinced "reverse the polarity of the neutron flow" is just Who-speak for "turn it off and on again."
Nicholas Whyte

This is rather fun. It's a book of two halves: first of all the Doctor and friends discover the mysteries of the Galactic Seed Vault, and then they have to run about collecting the keys to open it (à la Marinus or Key To Time). Lots of continuity references for us old schoolers to spot. Written for a younger audience.
Jordan
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: doctor-who
For a kid's book, this doesn't feel too written down at all. I wouldn't blink an eye at it being one of the regular Doctor Who novels. It's one of those for kids but not kiddish books, with plenty that adult Who fans will love. There is a great adventure, kind of a miniature Key of Time thing, and lots of excellent references to past Doctors. ...more
Ariel
Dec 08, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
"There are three universal constants: Planck's quantum of action, toast always falling butter-side down, and the reaction of anyone entering the Tardis for the first time".
This was a quick and funny read. It gave me a small insight on 13, since I haven't started her season yet. It's still a bit strange seeing "The Doctor and her companions", but I'll get used to it.

• Doctor Who: The Good Doctor
  • Doctor Who: The Thirteenth Doctor, Vol. 2: Hidden Human History
  • Doctor Who: Time Lord Victorious: Defender of the Daleks #1
  • Doctor Who: The Day She Saved the Doctor: Four Stories from the TARDIS
  • Doctor Who: The Women Who Lived
David Solomons has been writing screenplays for many years. His first feature film was an adaptation of ‘Five Children and It’ (starring Kenneth Branagh and Eddie Izzard, with gala screenings at the Toronto and Tribeca Film Festivals). His latest film is a romantic comedy set in the world of publishing, ‘Not Another Happy Ending’ (Karen Gillan, Iain de Caestecker), which closed the Edinburgh Inter ...more