Start by marking “None of My Business: P.J. Explains Money, Banking, Debt, Equity, Assets, Liabilities and Why He's Not Rich and Neither Are You” as Want to Read:

After decades covering war and disaster, bestselling author and acclaimed satirist P. J. O'Rourke takes on his scariest subjects yet--business, investment, finance, and the political chicanery behind them. Want to get rich overnight for free in 3 easy steps with no risk? Then don't buy this book. (Actually, if you believe there's a book that can do that, you shouldn't buy ...more
Published September 6th 2018 by Grove Press / Atlantic Monthly Press (first published September 4th 2018)

To ask other readers questions about None of My Business, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about None of My Business

John
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
First, about the subtitle, which reads: "P.J. explains money, banking, debt, equity assets, liabilities and why he's not rich and neither are you."
"Rich" is a relative term. Compared to much of the world's population, P.J. O'Rourke IS rich, and so am I. He mentions at one point in the book that he spend several thousand dollars to go deep-sea fishing. Most of the world's population cannot afford to do this (and neither can I).
"Explains" is a misleading verb choice. In a book filled with rants mo
Ron
P. J. O'Rourke is known for "humorous" writings on a wide variety of topics. In None of My Business, P. J.tries to provide a off-kilter look at money, economy, mutant capitalism, the digital economy, and consumption.

P. J. O'Rourke opens the book with the admission that he does not know how get wealth. But he tries to have fun with discussing economics as a blood sport that he enjoys as a spectator. He then proceeds to have three chapters under the heading "How I Learned Economics by Watching Pe
Roy
As a long time fan of P.J., I was a little disappointed. Perhaps our views on life have parted too much for me to really enjoy him anymore.
About half of this book has some classic O'Rourke snarky insights viewed through his conservative filter. I enjoy this as his politics and mine don't always agree but I can find the sense in what he says and he says it with humor. But for the rest, I find his view on the world has soured including a seeming renunciation of much of his own youth. He has always
Bryan
Mar 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book on a whim and it was easily the most humorous book on economics I have looked at so far. It would appear I have a similar sense of humor to the author, so very much enjoyed the book. It is not too serious, but does make some valid points, and could be a way for someone not too interested in the topic to get their feet wet. While I would not use this as a basis for economic policy, the combination of valid information and humor made it a good book. It is a very fast read.
Elmwoodblues
My bar was set pretty high for this, and O'Rourke kept a consistent limbo beneath it. I could get more economic insight from any Freakonomics or Planet Money podcast, with almost the same level of humor and without the bitter political opinions. I can get more laughs from an old Lemmings recording, with almost the same level of actual observations and better social satire.
It's none of my business how many books P.J. feels the need to churn out; I look forward to hearing him on 'Wait...Wait', an
Les Simpson
P.J. O’Rourke’s humor is more misses than hits for me, especially now that he is writing from a “grumpy old white man” soapbox. While I had a few chuckles, I grew tired of his repeated railing against things he doesn’t understand, like social media. Perhaps his more dedicated readers agree with his disconnected, somewhat-cynical and snarky view on mobile phones and their apps. If so, I am clearly not his target audience.
Lord Mari
Big fan of PJ. In fact, I have a signed copy of this book but this isn't his best work. This book reminds me of an old grumpy man yelling "getting off my lawn" to young children having fun. The world seems to be advancing too quickly in such a way that he neither foresaw and can't keep up with. There are a few elements of humor but he's dead serious about his disdain for everything including Snapchat, Forever 21, and anything else you can think of.
Mark
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is my 5th O'Rourke book. I love his clever and amusing writing, and this book certainly has that, perhaps to the exclusion of substance at some points. While I enjoyed it, it seemed to lack some of the depth of his previous works (but that may have been because I was more distracted than usual while listening to the audio book!). 3.5 stars.
Mike Glaser
Not P.J. at his best but still better than 98% of what else is out there. Having read him since he was at the National Lampoon, he has mellowed over time but I would still read anything that he has signed him name to.
Jeffrey Falk
This is decent late-period O'Rourke with some of his best and worst ideas. It's as much about himself and his family as the purported subject (money and finance). The copyediting was rushed (perhaps this is a trend in printed books as fewer people buy them).
David Hile
I really enjoyed this book. It was both entertaining and informative. PJ brings his unique view of the world while illuminating some interesting economic observations. This book pairs nicely with his book on Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations.
Sharon
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Did anyone else notice the typos throughout? Aside from needing an editor, this book contained O'Rourke's usual descriptive genius and flair for analogies. His commentary on our culture is always worth reading, and this book is no exception
Edmund Davis-Quinn
Fun read, but a bunch of columns that are all over the place. Definitely skippable.
Geoff Walling
He's just not all that funny.
Deborah
I thought it would be funnier.
Robert Natale
Wanted to write a review for this one but I'm out of time.

So I'll be brief. Very brief. Here goes.

Meh.
Mike
Sep 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun, but not as good as the dangerous travel stuff that he did before he became a parent.
Melody
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, overdrive
laugh out loud ...
Heini
Jan 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oppikirja siitä, miten kirjoitetaan erinomainen kolumni.
Trudy
Humorous look at economics and politics. Drags a bit in places, but entertaining overall.
Jeffrey
Sep 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Csparrenberger
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a wonderful book. The author takes a satirical look at many different topics. Highly recommended and very enjoyable.
Darius Ostrowski
I didn't realize that this was a collection until I read the afterwards stuff. Mr. O'Rourke is as clever as ever, but this collection doesn't really hang together very well.
Bill Morgan
Not one of this author’s better efforts. Reads like something he threw together to meet a deadline
Dan Dellechiaie

If you enjoyed this review, you can find more like it on my blog! https://www.dadell.com
Jeff
rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2018
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Madison Mega-Mara...: #54 None of My Business 1 5 Oct 04, 2018 07:29AM
Patrick Jake "P. J." O'Rourke is an American political satirist, journalist, writer, and author. O'Rourke is the H. L. Mencken Research Fellow at the Cato Institute and is a regular correspondent for The Atlantic Monthly, The American Spectator, and The Weekly Standard, and frequent panelist on National Public Radio's game show Wait Wait... Don't Tell Me!. Since 2011 O'Rourke has been a columnist ...more