Start by marking “Silk & Steel (Silk and Steel, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silk & Steel (Silk and Steel, #1)

Silk & Steel

(Silk and Steel #1)

The Dragon Queen’s reign is one of darkness and death. Humans have vanished under the rubble of their world and if the queen has her way, elves will be next.

Eroan, one of the last elven assassins, lives for one purpose: kill the queen.

He would have succeeded if not for her last line of defense: Prince Lysander. Now, captured and forced into the queen’s harem, Eroan see
ebook
Published January 2019

To ask other readers questions about Silk & Steel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Silk & Steel

Start your review of Silk & Steel (Silk and Steel, #1)
Pippa DaCosta

UPDATE:

I'm getting lots of questions which I'll try and answer here. If you have any more, do drop them in the comments below:

1, Book 2 in the Silk & Steel series is due to be published in April. out now!

2, Eroan identifies as bisexual. Lysander is gay. (This isn't explicitly said in book 1 but it is implied by their behavior).

3, There will be three books in the series.

4, If you're looking for gushy romance, this series isn't that but it features two strong male leads who overcome their terrible pasts and social expectatiseries.
Lyn
Audio – 5 stars! I’m so glad I waited on the audio because the narrator’s performance was perfect.

Story – 5 stars! Loved, loved, loved. Thank you so much for the rec, Achim!! xx

It’s the rare story that I find extended couple separation acceptable. This is one the rare stories. Firstly, because it’s book 1 of a trilogy. If the author makes up for the separation in the upcoming books, all will be forgiven. Secondly, I felt the connection between the MCs even though they were together
Nenia ☠️ Hecka Wicked ☠️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Ever since I read C.S. Pacat's CAPTIVE PRINCE, I've been looking for other dark fantasy books that have that same fantasy bodice-ripper vibe. SILK & STEEL comes the closest of all the other books I've read to capturing that same balance of unapologetic smut and court intrigue, kind of like if GAME OF THRONES was written for the female gaze. Honestly, though, it had me at angsty dragon prince and arrogant warrior elf.

Prince Lysander is the younger son of a sadistic dragon queen who has phys
Kiki
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so fucking good but please, for the love of GOD, don’t read this without fully digesting the content warnings in the synopsis. People are not joking when they say this book is full of torture, sexual assault, physical assault, emotional torment, pain, blood, grotesque incest and just tons of insane suffering that rivals Game Of Thrones. Jesus christ, some parts of this (namely the dick-chopping scene) made my vagina jump right up into my body and hide like a fucking pine marten.

I
amy ☂︎
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
holy shit

i practically binged this all at once and now it’s 1am, i’m out of breath and my heart is racing

this book did everything it promised it would do and it kept me glued to the pages most of the time. i had some minor issues with it that i’m too lazy to get into right now but all in all it was an infuriating, addictive and heart-wrenching read.

if you’ve read and enjoyed the captive prince series, make sure to pick this one up next!

actual rating: ★★★
Maria Dimitrova
OUT NOW!

TRIGGER WARNING! ATTEMPTED SEXUAL ASSAULT AND DUBIOUS CONSENT!

When Ariana Nash first said she is planning on writing a dark M/M fantasy/romance book I was really worried. First because I'm not all that into M/M. Usually the story has to be really good for me to ignore the fact that the sex scenes make me uncomfortable and most often than not manage to turn me completely off. I know this is a bias and that if it's a conventional romance I would let a lot more slide plot-wise than when I'm re/>
TRIGGER ...more
I'm a huge fan of Pippa DaCosta's writing so when I found out she was writing a dark fantasy M/M story under the pen name of Ariana Nash I immediately added it to my wish list. Throw in the fact that the main characters of Silk & Steel are an elven assassin and a dragon prince and I just couldn't wait to get started! Anyone who has ever read any of Pippa's stories will know that she excels at detailed world building and tortured heroes and she has outdone herself on both of those fronts with this book.
Gabi
DNF @66%

I should've stopped way sooner. I really should have.
I read the sample, it was awesome, so I bought it on a whim. I wanted something not contemporary, and something that's plot-driven. This fit the bill perfectly.

My review is full of spoilers, read it at your own peril.

The story starts with Eroan (love the name) who is an elf, sent to kill the dragon queen. The opening scene shows him chained to a wall in the dragonskeep. He got captured during t
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Ok, I'm going in. Spoilers ahead.

This book was just alright. Giving it 3 stars is me being generous.

It starts with Eroan being captured while attempting to assassinate the Dragon Queen. He is starved and tortured until the queen discovers that her son, Lysander, seems very interested in Eroan. The queen decides to add Eroan to her harem despite Eroan batting for the other team. She has some magnetism thing going on that enthralls theclass="gr-hostedUserImg">
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
Listening to the book...wow!

Audible done well. The first time I opened this book up it was an epic fail. I just wasn’t in the right frame of mind to take on this book. This time I went with audible .

This really was me and not the book. I’m glad I gave this book a second chance.

The story as a whole, a mix of fantasy and erotica. Fantasy is my thing. Erotica not so much. But, it worked out because I liked the story and plot direction. Evil mother, assassin(s) and war. Dragons and elves. The wor
ash | emeraldbookowl
hmmm... i don't know

description

this is not a mm 'heavy romance' but a slow burn mm 'love story' between prince lysander (gay dragon) and eroan (bisexual elf assassin) in a post apocalyptic dragon infested world, that will develop and evolve over the span of the series. in terms of 'dark' elements, it felt tame and mild.

i want to make sure everyone has that understanding before jumping into this book. thi
R.A. Steffan
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Silk & Steel is the first major foray into M/M for author Pippa DaCosta, writing under the pen name Ariana Nash. As the author warned in her readers' group on Facebook, it's an emotional rollercoaster and very, very dark.

Anyone familiar with the author's other works will know to expect AMAZING world-building, and will not be disappointed. Ariana Nash crafts a post-apocalyptic world of dragons and elves, with humans clinging onto the outskirts, battered but not broken.

Jo * Smut-Dickted *
3 Stars for the read but +1 for being that combo of fantasy/dystopian/paranormal that I so dearly love and so rarely get.

The setting appears to be either (alternate) reality Earth after a rising up OR in the future but feels more like fantasy and paranormal because humans don't enter the picture until very late on.

I really enjoyed this one, outside of the MM aspect, and read pretty much straight through because I was so interested in the politics and the way the world worked. The descriptions
Andi
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WARNING: This is a M/M that's DARK.

I've had a book hangover from Silk & Steel for over a week, that's how good Ariana Nash is. Not surprising since Ariana Nash is the alter ego of Pippa DaCosta.

Nash has a warning for this book: This book is brutal! It will chew your heart, spit it out and dance on the broken pieces."

She was more than right. I was actually excited when I heard DaCosta was branching out into this genre, M/M. Not going to lie, I didn't really
Cat
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We were warned by the author and she was right, my heart was left wrecked after this dark and gritty rollercoaster ride. There is nothing like the thrill of starting a new series and getting chucked into the icy cold deep end of the pool. As expected the world building and back ground story are nothing less than phenomenon. The characters yank, twist, and shatter your heart strings. Forced to choose between what is “right” and what their hearts need, you’ll want nothing more than for Lysander an ...more
Joyfully Jay
Oct 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: michelle
A Joyfully Jay review.

I had not been familiar with this author or this series, but when I saw the description, it really seemed like my type of book. The story was everything I hoped it would be and then even a little more. The Silk and Steel series is a trilogy that will take Lysander and Eroan through an incredible journey. Just seeing where this first book started and ended, it invokes the feeling of a legendary quest and a love story between enemies that will no doubt be epic by
Achim
Still not sure if it's dystopian or a complete different fantasy world. Let's assume it's the first because obviously it takes place in southern England in a world formerly similar to ours just that there are not only humans but also elves - until more than a century ago dragons arose and took over. You might remember the move Reign of Fire where dragons where encountered while working at another tube tunnel. Also there they took over and society as we know it crumbled until humankind was nearly ...more
J1B
There is no greater sin in MM fiction than to have your two actually gay main characters engage in heterosexual relations. This offense ranks above even the nearly ubiquitous "bisexual" MM romances--despite being exploitative and low key homophobic, at least those are honest in their heteronormativity. And to actually have the acts committed on stage... unforgivable.
Corinna Jayne
Clumsy and in need of an editor

This book was very confusing. No world building at all, no explanation given for a multitude of different things that are introduced, people, heirachies etc
The Queen is super rapey with her son but we don't know why?

Eroan is gay but then has sex with his best (female friend) and seems to enjoy it and nothing is explained about that???

The book seem half finished, not edited and clumsily written. It has the bones of a great story but
milou  ☕️
it has dragons and a m/m romance? i'm beyond excited for this
Dimitri
With some reservations, this was still one of my favorite books I've read in a WHILE, although that might be a sign of the state of mm romance novels I'm finding rather than the quality of this book.

This story really isn't romance seeing as both characters are oblivious about their feelings till the end. In fact, the only reason for the 3 stars is because the world building is unique and interesting.

Anybody that knows me, knows I am a SUCKER for high fantasy novels! There is just something about t
JenMcJ
Epic adventure tale. There were a few times that things happened I didn't see coming. Surprises in books like these that aren't convoluted conjobs are rare. But, this is supposed to be a romantic epic tale. So far, it misses that mark...by A LOT. There is no romance or real erotica in this story so far. Some rapey dubcon starts and fits with secondary villains toward an MC but no sexual happenings between the actual MC's that isn't interrupted or completely unfulfilling. In fact, There is more m ...more
Ticha_11

Pretty disappointed with this book. Full of cringy writing and interactions between the characters. And don't let me get started with the main pairing. Real lack of character and world development.

Probably won't read the next book.
Tiera McMillian
I was not prepared for this, I didn't read the blurb before starting this book, that was my bad. About 10% in, I had to take a breather and go back and read it. I have to be honest though, the blurb is a tad misleading. It gives the idea that there is some story here, but I could barely find it amidst the smut. The whole book had some Anne Rice "Sleeping Beauty" vibes, but with way less consensualness... pretty sure that is not a word but I'm just going to roll with it. I was also very unprepa ...more
Christine Scotney
Exceptionally Written
I received this book as an arc for an honest review

I was a bit apprehensive about reading this book as it is out of my normal reading, mainly because it contained a lot of sex scenes.
I am so glad that I did, it’s an awesome book, there are a lot of sex scenes in it, m/m, m/f, but it is all part of the story and just flows and is easy to read, without some of the scenes you probably wouldn’t get an in depth look at the Dragonkin Lysander.
This is the extraordina
Lola
Jan 10, 2019 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, mm-romance
DNF at 43%

Wasn't in the right mood to keep battling the darkness in this one. I liked the main characters and how they were both caught in a difficult situation and the other has the chance to become their light. I liked the hope and the spark of connection between them. I liked the hint of romance and as this is a an enemies to lovers romance the romance doens't move quickly, which makes sense.

What I didn't like was the dark parts, multiple scenes with un-consented touches of sexua
Ashley Martinez (ilovebooksandstuffblog)
Darkly delicious! Wow! I’m stunned absolutely speechless! I need the next book now! This book was dark, deadly and crude. In this new world of dragons and elves two unlikely broken souls struggle to survive against all odds. I loved the characters each fighting their own battle and brought together in the darkest of times. At the end I’m left hungry for more especially with that cliffhanger!
Book  Minx
Feb 14, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: speculative
CW: rape, torture

Aaaaaaaarrrrrrrgggggghhhhhhhh.

This is nearly a five-star book... like 75%+ is five-star quality. The enemies to lovers, we’re both chained but yours are external, elves and dragons stuff is fantastic. The amethyst court and the evil queen are fun takes on familiar villains. The feels when Eroan is trying to talk about his trauma and gets rejected because it makes the listener uncomfortable - when Eroan had to fucking live it and has to live with it now - were excruc
Tiffaney
Jan 21, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Silk & Steel is a dark fantasy series that is being marketed to appeal to fans of CS Pacat's Captive Prince and Jex Lane's Beautiful Monsters."

Sigh.

This book sadly didn't work for me.

I really wanted to enjoy this story but I had to force myself to actually finish it. I don't think I'll be continuing this series.

Ellysiah
There were some great ideas in this book, and I definitely didn't put it down much, but overall it felt underdeveloped.

I'll start with the great stuff:

The idea itself -- dragons as a majority on Earth, having almost wiped out humans and elves -- is pretty original and cool. I'm also a fan of the idea of dragon shapeshifters with human forms, which I think was done well. There were aspects of the world-building that also got my excitement up -- dragons have warrens and broods and fli
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• NoX
  • Puppet/Master (The Vale Chronicles, #1)
  • Pendulum (Kingdom of Night, #1)
  • Prince of Air and Darkness (The Darkest Court, #1)
  • All Souls Near & Nigh (Soulbound, #2)
  • Liminality (Kingdom of Night, #2)
  • Dark Rain (The Anrodnes Chronicles #1)
  • The King's Dragon (Fire and Valor #1)
  • Equilibrium (Kingdom of Night #3)
  • Forbidden (Siren Cove #1)
  • A Ferry of Bones & Gold (Soulbound, #1)
  • Knight's Fire (Scales of Honor #1)
  • Shift (Flesh & Bone #3)
  • Lightbearer
  • The Enchanter's Soul (The Ellwood Chronicles #2)
  • The Marked Prince (The Darkest Court, #2)
  • Prince of Death (Lords of the Underworld #1)
  • More Than Blood (Blood #1)
Born to wolves, Ariana Nash only ventures from the Cornish moors when the moon is fat and the night alive with myths and legends. She captures those myths in glass jars and returning home, weaves them into stories filled with forbidden desires, fantasy realms, and wicked delights.

Her debut novel Silk & Steel hit Amazon's:

#1 LGBT Bestsellers Horror
#1 LGBT Bestsellers Fantasy

Silk and Steel (5 books)
  • Iron & Fire (Silk and Steel, #2)
  • Blood & Ice (Silk and Steel #3)
  • Lost & Found (Silk & Steel #3.5, Novella)
  • The Black Prince