Start by marking “The Fading” as Want to Read:
The Fading

The Fading

Shortlisted for Viva la Novella 2018
"Insightful and intriguing... a great read." - Alice Grundy, Seizure

A dark, fast-paced novella set in dystopian Australia that questions your humanity…

Something is awake.

Harriet’s wife, Katherine, is dying from an insidious virus that threatens humanity – and this is not just any disease. This vi
Published November 2nd 2018 by Kaustik Press

To ask other readers questions about The Fading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Fading

Start your review of The Fading
Keith Curran
Jan 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
F-ing REMARKABLE

Brilliant. Mesmerizing. Beautiful. An instant CLASSIC. My only unfulfilled desire was that it NEVER END! And, of course, as a "novella" or "novelette" or "long short story, it was not NEARLY long enough. But, then, we're it 1,789 pages, it would STILL not be long enough. Unique pros. Full dimensional characters, even in the periphery. This... book.. had me laughing and crying aloud. AND, nodding my head throughout, thinking; "Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes... Everything that ha
Marie
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
~*May Contain Slight Spoilers!*~

When I first saw the title of The Fading and read the synopsis, I pictured it along the lines of an actual virus that infects humans and they either have some kind of violent death or turn into some form of grotesque monster that is similar to the person it infected but something completely different. Once I started reading and got into the book, it actually turned into something I never would have thought. Taimre did a splendid job on creating a uni
Joni Martins

Author: Linda Taimre
Genre: Speculative Fiction
Part of a series? No
Order in series:
Best read after earlier books in series? No
Available: https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4...
Overall score:
I scored this book 4/5
⭐ ⭐ ⭐ ⭐
Short Summary of the book:
This book tells the story of an evolving virus which feeds on the human consciousness and grows its own consciousness as a result. Humans all over the w
Lion Key
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
**WARNING - MAY CONTAIN SUBTLE SPOILERS***

Although this is not my typical choice of book genre, I really enjoyed it!

It promised a fast paced and exciting read and that's exactly what you will get. Beginning with the raw effects of a rampaging virus and then ending with the demise of the character/s you become attached to. It was far from the usual 'happy ending' and 'everyone lives' trope that I expected would happen. In the end, I was left with my mouth hanging open at the sudden turn of events t
Marissa Kasang
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The government legalized the use of a biological weapon in preparation for the fifth war. Unfortunately, this weapon begat a virus known as BX59 or Paralytic Joe. Those infected are incurable and only waiting for death to take them away.

Katherine who is Harriet's wife is one of those infected ones. Harriet refused to send her wife to quarantine and is adamant to stick by her side in enduring her agonizing moments.

Leena found new more information about this virus. Unfortun
Nic
Nov 21, 2018 rated it liked it
*I received this book for free in exchange for an honest review.*

3.5/5. This is quite the adventure packed into a fairly short book! Definitely a concept I have never seen before. It's hard to write a review without getting too spoiler-y, so I'll just say that this book kept me on the edge of my seat. There were a few minor issues I had with it, however. I'm not sure if this first one is because I'm American and unfamiliar with Australian English, or because the version I read is an
Sam Harper
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Received a copy of this novella through Voracious Readers in exchange for an honest review.
Throughly enjoyed this refreshingly different dystopian novella, it grabs you by the throat in the first few chapters and drags you to its shocking conclusion.
The characters in this tale all have the same thing in common and they will do anything to protect those that mean the most to them -
Harriet who’s trying to save her beloved wife, Katherine who has become infected with an incurable virus, ...more
Chris
Oct 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
As someone who hasn’t read a lot of Novellas (typically more reading novels) this was definitely a great place to start.
In such a brief story, Taimre has created engaging characters and painted a dark image of the potential future of our world.
By making the characters so easy to empathise with, Taimre makes the reader consider ethical questions around what it is to exist and potential ramifications of choices made in heated situations.
Combine this with a fast paced story and an environment wh
Al
Jan 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2018, kindle
I’ve read dystopian or post-apocalyptic books where the spread of a disease is the current conflict the book’s characters are dealing with, but The Fading is unlike those I’ve read before. That uniqueness comes from two things. The first is the viral disease is unlike anything that has come before. Figuring out how to cure it and prevent its spread isn’t obvious. The other unique aspect is the setup of the future society where the story takes place. Dystopian societies are going to be divided in ...more
Amy
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Joe takes who she wants, and she wants Katherine.

What a dark novella - and what an engaging read!
I don't claim to understand how Joe came to be - and that will probably bother me forever - but I DO absolutely understand what it means to love and fear loss.
An enchanting picture of love was painted in just a hundred or so pages, and the wrapping up of that picture was just and right and just all around the right way to close the story. I may disagree with the fate of Joe, and the decision made.
Angie
Oct 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was my first novella, so despite the dystopian nature of The Fading I was nervous that I wasn’t going to be able to shake Jane the Virgin from my head. How wrong was I haha. Thanks to the author I received an ARC in return for an honest review. This is one of my favourite genres and Linda Taimre did not disappoint. Strong relatable characters, with a story set in my home town. A definite hook and punch. Highly recommend.
Tanya
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
There is a killer virus and her wife is dying from it. She will do anything to save her. She will go anywhere. Can she find the cure? If is evolving and life may never be the same again. See if she can find the cure

Tina
Dec 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A virus vastly evolving inhibites the human race that makes them literally disappear. Gut wrenching dystopian thriller. In the race to find a cure the virus becomes concious and begins to communicate its needs and wants. Harriets one goal is to save the love of her life Katherine.
Loved this book 😁.
Book given free by author via voraciousreadersonly.
Nov 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this, I wasn’t really sure what I was expecting reading this story. It could have gone so many different ways
Sam
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: review
*Disclaimer* I was provided with a free copy of this book in return for my honest review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own and not influenced by the author and/or its affiliates in any way.

The Fading, a novella written by Linda Taimre follows Katherine and Harriet who strives to survive a virus outbreak that worsens as time passes. As the title suggests, the Fading is a dangerous virus which threatens humanity; and Katherine struggles to live the last few moments with h
Christine
Jess
Mar 07, 2019
Vicky Quenault
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
I didn’t enjoy this book.
The idea is far fetched, that a created virus becomes conscious and consumes humanity through will alone. The characters were one dimensional and unrealistic, there was less humanity in the human characters than in the virus.
The story lacked tangible drama and urgency. The emotions were told to the reader instead of shown. This made them abstract rather than allowing an emotional connection to develop between reader and character.
I received a complimentary copy f
Marta
Sep 24, 2018
Nancy Jones
Oct 02, 2018
Linda Taimre
Oct 17, 2018 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Anna Richey
Beverly Laude
Mar 11, 2019
Jack Arkel
Apr 05, 2019
I'm an Australian author who writes speculative fiction - anything supernatural, fantastical, or futuristic.

In the past, I've been an actor, corporate improvement analyst, teacher, producer, and operations manager. Nowadays, I'm also interested in neuropsychology, though I still love an occasional theatrical stint.