Start by marking “On the Head of a Pin” as Want to Read:
On the Head of a Pin

On the Head of a Pin

From the author of Aimee--an ALA Best Book for Young Adults--comes this novel that offers a eye-opening view into a faithful boy's private hell, when the promise he makes to God is shattered the moment his friend picks up a rifle at the end of a drinking party.
Published March 2nd 2006 by Dutton Juvenile

To ask other readers questions about On the Head of a Pin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On the Head of a Pin

Isaac
Feb 28, 2017 added it
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Me for TeensReadToo.com

When you open ON THE HEAD OF A PIN to read what the book is about, the first line that jumps out at you is "one thoughtless act can impact many lives." This is the basis for Mary Beth Miller's latest release, and it definitely holds true for the characters of ON THE HEAD OF A PIN.

Five teenagers, all as different as can be. There's Helen, the beautiful Homecoming Queen who didn't ask for her title. She wants nothing more than to finish high school and go away t
Padriac Hickey
Jan 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Laura Beth
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shocking book. I live in a small town and I can totally see something like this happen with my students. Sorbering.
Aaron Greenfield
I did not like the book very much. The book was long and started out slow. As the book went on it started to speed up and then it bacame to hard to understand.
Jaxon Dickert
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
On the Head of a pin is a book by Mary Beth Miller and it is about friends who go to a party and. One of the Characters Andy accidentally Shoots a girl and Andy decides not to call the police and decides they're going to hide the body and no one else is awake beside Andy, Josh, and Victor. So they have to hide the body and also live with the guilt of being murderers. Also, Andy threatens the life of Josh and Josh's sister if Josh tells anyone that the girl was murdered and where they hid her.

My
Will
Oct 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 1st-quarter
The Book was a good thing to read.
On this one day these 3 kids learned a Important lesson, don't try to correct or hide your mistakes. In the beginning, one of the friends in the story was at a party, and he had been drinking. He took out his Father's Rifle and started trying to show it off. He thought it was on safety and unloaded. He was Wrong.

They were Dealing with people Bothering them and hearing about something they did. Text to Text Don't have any Idea. You hear about a Party that had
Cathleen Ash
After the party at the cabin, Josh is praying more, not eating, puking a LOT. He still helps his mom turn Angela, his little sister, who's accident a few months ago left her unable to move, and according to the doctors, with very little brain function. He’s also trying to avoid Victor, who’s in his face big time.
After the party, Michael gets kicked out of his house by his father and takes off, but not too far away, because he still hopes he can rescue his younger brother from their father. The f
SraPanadera
Jul 28, 2016 rated it liked it
There were problems here---a few unresolved details and questions, several characters that got mininal development when they needed more, but overall, I was very pleasantly surprised by this novel. It was quite enjoyable and very interesting as study of greif, guilt and secret-keeping.

Some questions readers may have for the author regarding unresolved details (SPOILERS):

Angela's diary: why even include it if Josh isn't going to finish it?

The letter Angela's mentions at the end and the rock that
Juan
Oct 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book about about a group of kids that go to Andy's dad's cabin. that it all starts of. They were having a couple of drinks, an as the night continues andy take out his dad's gun from the closet, and from that point im pretty shere we all know how its ganna end. Andy drops the gun an in the progress the gun lets out a burst of sound and the next thing u see is Mike's ,"friend" Helen looking at then, and in an instent she drops motionless. In fear Andy treatens joshua to help him. All this is ...more
Greg
Feb 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Have you ever read something so depressing you just want to throw the book at a wall? This is that book.

Seriously, it's depressing. And religious, which had me take away a star simply because it gets REALLY annoying, even if you believe in God I'm sure. I'm curious why the author would kill off a character she listed in the first few pages so quickly? Doesn't make much sense, but that's where the domino affect happens. The ending was sweet and unresolved. Michael should have found his brother Ri
Toni
Mar 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
WOW! This was just one of those books that I couldn't put down. It wasn't a great book but it was a very good book. You know, that type of mystery that keeps you reading so you'll finally find out how they handled this awful situation. I think working in the high school really made this book come alive b/c I could actually see something like this as really possible in this day and time. I hope it is a book that teens will read and think about every time they are at a party and they chose to or n ...more
Jen Barth
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
After Andy accidentally shoots and kills his classmate Helen, he and two friends bury her in the woods in an attempt to cover up her death. Suspicion soon turns toward her boyfriend Michael. The story is told from each boy's perspective. As the search for Helen intensifies, things begin to fall apart for each of them. This is a very intense read!
Elise
Feb 29, 2016 rated it liked it
This was interesting. I mostly didn't buy that the religious kid was SO religious, and that all these people's families were SO messed up. There are normal, nice people out there. But aside from the intense exaggerations, it was interesting and had you thinking. Kind of sad, but ended right, I think. It's an easy, short read.
Bess  Ritenour Acey
frinds at a party playing with a gun shoot a young girl named Helen and hide her body in the woods. They tell her boyfriend that is also a friend of theirs that she left with another guy but he knows that she would never do that to him.
Rene
Feb 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
Intense book about an accidental shooting and the subsequent cover up Points of view from three different people talk about faith, God and forgiveness. It was an okay book, but entirely too preachy. I give it a B.
LibraryGoddess
Oct 24, 2007 rated it really liked it
When guns, alcohol and teens mix, it can be a recipe for disaster. This book is a gripping story of how kids can accidentally get themselves in big trouble, and then make it worse trying to get out of it.
Hanna
Aug 02, 2013 added it
It was a really awesome book!!!!!! :) :) I would definitely recommend this to all of my friends! :)
Shannon
very compelling story. i recommend it.
Sadia
Jun 10, 2012 rated it liked it
Meh, I thought it was hard to get through, but it was OK.
Mrs. Y.