Start by marking “Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once #2)” as Want to Read:
Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once #2)

Twice Magic

(The Wizards of Once #2)

This was once the story of a young boy Wizard and a young girl Warrior who had been taught since birth to hate each other like poison.

But now, the boy Wizard and girl Warrior have been brought together in the Badwoods and they have witnessed the shocking consequences of the Stone That Takes Away Magic. They will need to cast aside their differences once more--for an Evil S
Published September 20th 2018 by Hodder Children's Books

To ask other readers questions about Twice Magic, please sign up.
ReadingSloph 4 books, the description for the fourth book says "final installment"…more4 books, the description for the fourth book says "final installment"(less)
Smiley
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Start your review of Twice Magic (The Wizards of Once #2)
Gavin
May 24, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Wizards of Once series is getting better with each instalment! No matter what Cressida Cowell writes, I am guaranteed a smile and a laugh when reading her books. There were some genuine moments in this that got me a little frightened for the main characters (the villains are rather scary - and David Tennant does a fantastic job with the voices), and the illustrations to match are immersive and imaginative. All the things I loved about the first Wizards of Once can be found here. And I still ...more
Jessica
Once again, just a frickin' delight! I love Wish and Xar, but most importantly I love David Tennant as the Unknown Narrator. Crazy stuff happened, funny stuff happened, and we got to hear a song written by a werewolf, translated into English, sung by David Tennant. ...more
Melissa Veras
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just as fun as the first one. I might even liked this one a little bit better. And the narration by David Tennant was, of course, amazing.
Helene
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve got an ARC of this book, Lucky me!

Let me begin by saying I loved this one more than I loved the first book. While the first one was pretty serious, skipped the potty humour and was around the level of How to ride a dragon’s storm / How to break a dragon’s heart, this one cranked it up a notch to How to steal a dragon’s sword -levels. Including war, a kidnapping, characters going missing and a heartbreaking, sad, tragic, magic backstory told to the main characters, Termagant style.
The book i
2.) Twice Magic ★★★★
3.) Knock Three Times ★★★★
4.) Never and Forever [ON TBR]

-----------------------------------------------

“But then," said Caliburn, "the adults are making such an almighty mess of things maybe we have to put our faith in the children, crazy and unrealistic and reckless though they are...”

representation: none that i can remember!

[trigger warnings are listed at the bottom of this review and may contain spoilers]

★★★★

love, love, LOVE this series!!!

t
Robin Stevens
May 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cressida Cowell is the most wonderful storyteller. This whips along, and it's so full of warmth and heart that I cared about every single one of the characters, no matter how minor. I am such a fan of this series, and delighted by the magical world that Cressida's created. (8+)

Samm | Sassenach the Book Wizard
I actually think I enjoyed this more than the first one! The world and political history between all the feuding sides gets a lot more detailed. The book design is truly amazing! All the scribbles and doodles fit so well with the story and the theme. please note YOU MUST LISTEN ALONG TO THE DAVID TENANT NARRATED AUDIOBOOK TO TRULY READ THIS!
Emily
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun and crazy book! It definitely took longer than usual to read because I had to keep stopping to look at all the cool pictures!!
Milou
May 10, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite on par with the first book... fun but it has its problems.

I was quite lost at the start. Xar is in prison, and I had no idea why. Several months have passed since book 1 and we are just thrown into the story without really an update. At the same time I felt that the end was dragging. We see more of the world, but still not that much happens. The big reveal about the parents was pretty obvious in the first book already, and some important plot lines were thrown in almost like
Fi's Journey
Twice Magic I enjoyed this one a bit more than the first one, especially since in this book more things are happening.

I loved the interactions of all the characters. Squuezjoos and the Sprites are quite funny. Crusher the Giant has always big thoughts about something. Caliburn the Talking Raven tries to make peace between Xar and Wish (and many other things).

Our newest addition to this book is the Werewolf who Xar makes friends with in Gormincrag (Rehabilitation Centre for the Re-Education of D
Becky
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is such a fun & interesting story! I really enjoyed the first one and this was was even better! I listened to the audiobook on this one and was fantastically narrated by David Tennant!
The story just deepens in this one and it’s full of magic! Still really love Wish & Xar as characters and can’t wait to see the next instalment!
Helen
Jul 10, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as the first
Mehsi

Two kids who shouldn't have met (one is a Wizard the other is a Warrior (though with magic that shouldn't exist)) will meet again, and will have to use all their wits, magic, and bravery to beat Witches and save the world.

I just loved the first book, which I found when I was visiting London (with autograph + more
Lloyd Mackenzie
Dec 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
MAGIC and mayhem, or magical mayhem, are possibly the best ways to describe this book for children (and maybe a few adults too).

Xar, a young boy wizard, has been wrongfully incarcerated. Well, he is less of a prisoner and more a daily-escapee than anything else. He wants to right the wrongs he may or may have set in motion in the first book and concocts a daring plot to free himself and rid the world of the evil Witches.

Wish is Warrior-born girl and wizards and warriors are not to be friends. Th
Caroline
The writing and world building are excellent, the imagery is lovely, and I love the way that Xar is written, intentionally, as a bit of jerk. He is a selfish, self-centered teenager who is trying to not become a selfish, self-centered man. Xar is becoming a better person in a slow, realistic way rather than having ONE BIG MOMENT that flips his whole personality. Or, having that ONE BIG MOMENT and then it having zero effect on the rest of his character/story until the climax when the lesson is co ...more
Eti
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved the original audiobook SO much that I deliberately waited to read it until I could access the audiobook - and then miraculously this weekend, as though it was meant to be, I found it and listened to it pretty much nonstop. It was such a pleasure and joy to be back with Squeezjoos, Xar and Wish. But mostly Squeezejoos because he is our favorite and we'd like an entire series of books about his adventures just being adorable and hilarious and the best hairy fairy ever. Thank you. This sequ ...more
Tammie
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-read-books
Read- August 2019 for The N.E.W.Ts (My E in Herbology)
- Cressida Cowell has quickly become one of my all time favourite authors. This series in particular is just so engaging and I can't wait to see where it goes in the 3rd book.

1st Re-Read- September 2019
- Raising my rating from a 4 Stars to a 4.5 Stars. Re-reading the first two books so I can move onto to the 3rd one.

2nd Re-Read- April 2020 for the O.W.Ls (History of Magic- A Book Featuring Wizards/Witches)
- My rating has gone up again to a
Pris
May 24, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Reread 2021: I’m having the absolute best times 🥰

——

I love all the nonsense and the quirkiness. All those hidden messages are amazing and it teach us something very important: children are way smarter than adults 😏

So I’m staying child forever! 🖤✨
Bella
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Even better than the first one. Definitely recommend these! Can’t believe I have to wait so long for the next one ☹️
Ophelia
Oct 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, love
All kinds of lovely ♥️
Jerby  Verderosa
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a quick, fun, short read, and thus I will try to keep my review quick, fun and short as well.

I remember reading the first book in this series last year and feeling really impressed with it. I noticed a lot of wit and humor in it, as well as a shade of complexity in the plot that I did not expect. I finished it and immediately looked up when the next one would be released.

In general, I found a lot of the same strengths in this sequel: still the same trademark witty, humorous writing and
Cynthia Egbert
Well, David Tennant as a narrator is still magical and the story has moved in a really fun direction in this next novel in the series. We loved it so much that we immediately began the next book as this one finished. There are elements of all the great tragedies in this one and some powerful themes and yet it is always fun and light at the same time. I love the fact that this takes place in the Bronze Age in England and that the forests are really a character in the novel. I do recommend these, ...more
Rachel Libke
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
On the whole, not as good as the first book in the series—but it deserves equal footing with book one because of David Tennant singing a werewolf song.
Sophie Crane
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved the 1st book, this was just as good. Anticipated the next one!
James
Jan 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book started to cement that this is one of my favorite middlegrade series I've ever read.

The book begins with Xar essentially performing a jailbreak. It was a very dramatic beginning to the story, but it was so much fun. Wish isn't exactly in prison, but it's not much better. Even though he didn't quite mean to, Xar ends up flying away with Wish into the forest. Of course Bodkin is along for the ride too.

This book starts the pair on their journey to destroy the witches. The first ingredie
16paynel
Mar 04, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Twice magic is the seacond book in the series after the wizard of once. It continues the story of Xar and Wish as they go on a journey to defeat the King Witch. It adds to the story fantastical elements. It is quite enjoyable and has a happy ending with room for the story to continue through other books. I would recommend this book to a most younger people.
Cherie Gilmore
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It’s been said in so many reviews already, but I too love this series. This book is even better than the first. David Tennet is such a charming fun narrator. It was a treat to listen to him sing as several different characters. Beloved hairy fairies return and I couldn’t be happier.
Sheila Beaumont
This second entry in the "Wizards of Once" series was even more enjoyable than the first. I recommend the audiobook, brilliantly narrated by David Tennant. There are lots of fun songs too. There's more to come, and I'm looking forward to Book 3. ...more
Jennifer Rijo
Jan 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Love love love this world and characters <3
Hafsa
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
As I read the first few chapters of this book, it struck me, as it had with the previous book in the series, how similar it felt to Cowell’s previous series (the How to Train Your Dragon series). It was similar in a way that might have been forgiven if another author had written the book, but with Cowell’s distinctive writing style and illustrations, the two series were easy to compare - until I stated to get pulled into the book, and all comparisons faded in the limelight of the story. The flaw ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 2 12 Dec 13, 2018 02:58AM
Goodreads Librari...: 3 discrete listings for same work (please combine) 2 19 Aug 26, 2018 07:00AM

• Escape From Aurora (Frostheart #2)
  • Gargantis (The Legends of Eerie-on-Sea, #2)
  • The Griffin Gate
  • Frostheart (Frostheart, #1)
  • A Vanishing of Griffins (Songs of Magic, #2)
  • The Castle of Tangled Magic
  • The Land of Roar
  • Potkin and Stubbs (Potkin and Stubbs #1)
  • The Strangeworlds Travel Agency (Strangeworlds Travel Agency #1)
  • The Vanishing Trick
  • The Highland Falcon Thief (Adventures on Trains, #1)
  • The Boy Who Made the World Disappear
  • Hollowpox: The Hunt for Morrigan Crow (Nevermoor, #3)
  • The Train to Impossible Places (The Train to Impossible Places, #1)
  • Return to Roar
  • A Darkness of Dragons (Songs of Magic, #1)
  • The Great Brain Robbery (The Train to Impossible Places, #2)
  • Orion Lost
See top shelves…
Cressida Cowell grew up in London and on a small, uninhabited island off the west coast of Scotland. She was convinced that there were dragons living on this island, and has been fascinated by dragons ever since. She has a BA in English Literature from Oxford University, a BA in Graphic Design from St Martin's and an MA in Narrative Illustration from Brighton. Cressida loves illustrating her own w ...more

The Wizards of Once (4 books)
  • The Wizards of Once (The Wizards of Once, #1)
  • Knock Three Times (The Wizards of Once #3)
  • Never and Forever (The Wizards of Once #4)

News & Interviews

When it comes to whiling away the dog days of summer, nothing is better than a good book. Or two. Or three. Let’s say ten! We’re getting...
“Worrying won’t help it turn up any sooner. And look!” continued the giant. “If you waste your time worrying, how will you have a moment to see how beautiful the world is?” 4 likes
“A GIANT heart
Needs a GIANT life!
GIANT arms
Can hold a world!

Let me lead a GIANT'S life!
No little steps, no holding back!
A GIANT'S way, a GIANT'S track!

Let my mistakes
Be GIANT ones!

For I can't live in little worlds!

I need the space to run my fill
I need to jump from hill to hill

And if you take my woods from me
I'll wander out into the sea
And try to find another world

So I can live a GIANT'S life!”
3 likes