Start by marking “The 3-Day Effect” as Want to Read:
The 3-Day Effect

The 3-Day Effect

The 3-Day Effect is a look at the science behind why being in the wild can make us happier, healthier and more creative. Whether it’s rafting down Utah’s Green River, backpacking in Arizona’s wilderness or walking through Rock Creek Park in Washington, D.C., scientists are finding that the more exposure humans have to nature, the more they will benefit from reduced anxiety ...more
Audible Audio, Audible Originals, 3 pages
Published September 27th 2018 by Audio Studios

To ask other readers questions about The 3-Day Effect, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The 3-Day Effect

Start your review of The 3-Day Effect
Olivia Bartlett
May 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
The idea is nice, BUT there are dangerous implications that people could take from this book (like ditching their medicine in favor of spending 3 days outside) and the experiment was seriously flawed and biased.

There was no control group in the city for 3 days. They do not take into account the social bonding factor or the fact that the absence of things like blue light from screens or city noise can contribute to improved sleep, which is proven to greatly improve mental health and positivity,
Lance
May 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
It isn’t often I will give fewer than three stars to a book Imfinish, but that is the case with this audio book on the benefits nature will give a person by spending three consecutive days outdoors. Concept is nice but this experiment isn’t good in my mind...needs more variables, plus what happens when the subjects go back inside? The narrator is the author, which 99% of the time I consider that a good thing, but here, it ended up making me question the validity of the entire experiment. Usually ...more
Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺
I've long been fascinated by the concept that spending time in nature is good for our mental health. This audiobook explores "the science behind why being in the wild for a minimum of three days can make us happier, healthier and more creative." The truth is, my enjoyment was held back by the documentary style of the audiobook versus a narrative approach, but I'm still glad I listen to it.
Taylor
Jun 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible-freebies
Free audiobook? Yeah, sure, it was worth the listen for free. My favorite part was the end where they analyzed the results--that was cool. Checked off another book for my 2019 challenge in 3 hours and learned something interesting along the way.
Aaron
May 08, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audiobooks
This sorry excuse for a scientific study is simply the author wanting to tell the world, "IM DIVORCED NOW AND IM SAD". I'd be happy if I never read this author again.
Jerrod Carter
May 22, 2019 rated it it was ok
Short version. Go camping once in a while. Take walks. Step outside your normal routine.
Penny
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
(Audible)

First of all, if one is doing a scientific experiment, you don't start from a position of, "I intuitively know this to be true, so let's do some anecdotal scientific measuring to confirm my hypothesis."

Secondly, there was no control group.

Thirdly, was it being outdoors that lowered heart rate and helped the participants feel more grounded, or was it the sense of connection, of belonging in a group?

Fourthly . . . . well you get the picture.

The audio book is read/recorded by the author an
Mish Bryant
Jan 14, 2020 rated it really liked it
I am getting ready for an interview today I am going through my prep routine, I usually zone in and read, listen to music but overall stay away from social media so I can be focused. I've cried at least three times listening to these stories. For anyone dealing with Trauma and/or PSTD I recommend this book/Audible. I've had this book for a while and never took the time to listen until today. Maybe it's perfect timing for me personally in my own life. It's an interesting look into trying to use n ...more
Wiebke (1book1review)
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a very quick audiobook where you accompany the author on 4 trips into nature to study the effect this has on people. I thought is was very interesting without getting boring or too scientific.
Alanna King
Jun 09, 2019 rated it liked it
I was hoping for insight but it seemed set out to prove itself right in too much of an overt way. More reaffirming than earth-shattering.
Wayne Sutton
May 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf, dnf-d
I DNF'd this audiobook. I gave it a shot but when I heard the interview where a lady was saying that women were not welcome in the outdoors, I was like nope I'm out. That is the most ludicrous thing I've heard in a long time.
Dawn
This is an interesting idea but it was seriously inconclusive. I tend to agree with the friend she convinced to go camping, that maybe any break would have been as helpful, even if it wasn't in nature.

I can take a vacation in a big city and still feel awe. Still feel less stressed. Still feel invigorated. The same as if I take a week long kayaking trip.

And from personal experience, the social aspect she notes in these tiny groups, won't work for everyone. To get the peacefulness of nature, I n
BDT
May 14, 2019 rated it did not like it
This piece presents itself as a scientific study. This may not be what the author originally had in mind, but "The 3-Day Effect" is essentially testing the impact of short to intermediate jaunts into nature upon one's health.

An interesting idea with no scientific validity based upon the author's actions and methods. The author wanted to determine whether reconnecting with nature has mental and physical health benefits (sidenote: this has already been determined in more formal and robust studies)
Izette
May 22, 2019 rated it liked it
Quick and easy listen.
I think the concept of spending 3 days in nature to reset your brain to a healthier state really resonates with me. In part because this is what I long for but also in part because of having experienced what being outside in nature normally has on me.

I am keen to experiment with this a bit more and I know a few who will want to do the same :-)
Jeffrey Hartman
May 13, 2019 rated it did not like it
This is not a book nor essay. It's notes from camping trips. Ms Williams never bothered to edit her thoughts. Instead it's a jumble of unorganized anecdotes, without a conclusion. Complete waste of time.
Amy Ingalls
Feb 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: audiobook, nonfiction
I thought I was going to get a scientific look at the effect of nature on health and stress levels. Instead this was more of a podcast, with interviews and musings by the author. I thought that the groups she went out into nature with (especially the sex trafficking victims) were really interesting and would have loved to read long-term studies (with the science to back them up) about the effects of nature on these groups. So while the premise was interesting, I wanted a more in-depth discussion ...more
Anastasia
May 27, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: audible
Interesting but nothing new
Yelena
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
3h book filled with stories of wounded people and scientific experiments and research behind 3-days in nature as a cure hypothesis
Amy
May 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, audio
This book confirms what I knew already about my river trips: they had a way of wiping away daily stress and letting you get back to things with energy and a new perspective. But I also think that unlike hiking, river trips have a special way of making you pay attention to the present moment; you simply cannot carry thoughts of work life into a rapid.
Tim Gillen
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very interesting premise. It is certainly a theory that I would love to be true from a scientific standpoint, even if the research hasn’t been fully evaluated at this point. Anecdotally, I would say that the findings and view of the book certainly align with my experience on the benefits of spending time in nature, and the positive impacts on my psyche.
Chad Harrison
May 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science, non-fiction
Interesting "read." Audible seems loose with it's definition of books, as this was definitely just a long podcast. However, the premise is super interesting, and I look forward to trying out the 3 Day Effect myself.
Jen Jenson
I'm glad this was a free book and that I didn't purchase it. While I love Utah and Rafting and have Rafted the Green River countless times, and truly believe that being in Nature heals you - seriously firm believer. The stories shared made me want to jump off a cliff...
Stephanie Cover2CoverBlog
Getting the ability to download these freebies from audible every month has really enabled me to listen to things that I wouldn't normally pick up. Some are hits and some are misses and that is fine. Since I am back in school for psychology again, I was drawn to this one in the month of May.

the 3-Day Effect is about how spending three days in nature can help rest your brain. It causes you to be more in tune with yourself and more appreciative and is shown to decrease stress. This particular boo
Amy
May 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
So, this was an audible freebie (kind of - it was one of the optional free originals that now come with an audible monthly membership) for May 2019. I picked it from the options because the topic was interesting, and only realized after that it was the same author who wrote The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative, which I read last year. With that in mind, I didn't like The 3-Day Effect.

For starters, it was more in podcast-y style narrative, which isn't my thin
Jill Moore Pancrazi
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a great little book! By little, I mean can be read in a day or listened to in 3 hours. However, the message is big.

I don't think the science behind this is new, but it did solidify something I had already come to know for myself. Getting out in nature renews your spirit, mind, and body.

The interesting bit about this book was the real-time experiences that Florence documented. She joined a group of veterans on a 3-day wilderness trip that was so clearly renewing for them, that I could he
Jena
Jan 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The hypothesis is that spending three days in nature can positively affect you in neuropsychological ways - from improving short term memory, to setting you on a path to heal from physical and emotional trauma.
This book did not make me a believer, because I was already a believer.
But to see science begin to prove what I have always known in my heart was powerful!
Several groups of people had poignant stories about the beauty and awe of nature, and that is why this gets five stars.
Go outside!
It re
Angie Dokos
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
I didn’t really need a book to tell me how helpful nature is. But it was free so I figured I’d listen. I enjoyed it. It was very encouraging and I can see it being very helpful to many people. I’ve always loved the outdoors. It is definitely a great antidepressant. Sometimes just a simple walk can help my mental state more than I can describe with a few words. Also, I totally think people with PTSD could benefit from this. I’m glad they are doing research and tests to come up with scientific pro ...more
Michael Huang
May 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a mini memoir about trips made outdoors lasting 3 days or longer. People taking these trips to embrace nature are generally better off at the end. They are apparently less stressed out, more resilient against stress, and more creative (an author who’s avowed city person overcame his writers block after reluctantly going on such a trip). This is not a scientific piece. But it introduced to me the concept of “3-day effect”. I’m looking foreword to finding out more about it.
Jesse Sumrak
Jun 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
From experience, I know getting outdoors and into nature is both physically, emotionally, and psychologically rewarding, but it’s refreshing to see science support this. I thought the book was short and sweet, telling nice stories to accompany the scientific exploration. Definitely has me itching even more to get out my door and into the local mountains on a more frequent basis.
Debbie Cranberryfries
A quick look at what being in nature can do for your mind and physical body.
Written and researched by a journalist it's got good facts to back up some theories and a handful of different real life stories that all seem to benefit from the 3 day effect.
Certainly makes me want to be more intentional about getting at least a small daily dose.

• The Beautiful Brain
  • More Bedtime Stories for Cynics (Bedtime Stories for Cynics, #2)
  • The Dead Drink First
  • A Grown-Up Guide to Dinosaurs
  • The Man Who Knew The Way to the Moon
  • Elizabeth II: Life of a Monarch
  • Rivals! Frenemies Who Changed the World (Rivals!, #1)
  • You Do You: Proud to Be Fabulous
  • A Mind of Her Own
  • It Burns: The Scandal-Plagued Race to Breed the World’s Hottest Chilli
  • It's Not What It Looks Like
  • Olio Live
American journalist and author.

News & Interviews