Start by marking “Dream Keeper” as Want to Read:
Dream Keeper

Dream Keeper

(The Dark Dreamer Trilogy #1)

The Sandman is seventeen-year-old Nora's closest friend and best-kept secret. He has to be, if she doesn't want a one-way ticket back to the psychiatrist. It took her too long to learn not to mention the hooded figure in her dreams to her mother, who still watches Nora as if she'll crack. So when Nora's friends start mysteriously dying gruesome deaths in their sleep, she i ...more
Published September 11th 2018 by The Parliament House

To ask other readers questions about Dream Keeper, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dream Keeper

Carrie
Jan 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Well now, I have to admit that the first thing drawing me into Dream Keeper would have to be that beautiful cover. But once I took a glance at what the book would be about I couldn’t help but be curious. As a long time fan of horror the line “start mysteriously dying gruesome deaths in their sleep” stood out like a sore thumb and made the think of the Nightmare on Elm Street movies, sign me up please. While Dream Keeper isn’t exactly horror it is a darker young adult fantasy with some gruesome d ...more
Candace Robinson
Right off the bat, I was extremely intrigued by this book. I've read three other stories by Duell, so I knew the writing was going to be flawless and the story would be unique. I was not disappointed!

First off, I'm going to say I don't get scared or need a blanket when reading a dark or creepy book. Instead, I'm more like, heck yes that was awesome! And there was a whole bunch of fist pumping with the nightmare descriptions!

The book is told in dual POV, and I already knew Sandman would be my fav
Bex (Beckie Bookworm)
DREAM KEEPER

This was such an engaging and entertaining foray into the dream and nightmare-scape.
Such imagination was expanded here and I was ever so fascinated by the Sandman himself.
If I'm being honest here he was hands down my favourite character in Dream Keeper by far: and the best thing overall about this story.
I really would have liked to have dug deeper into his backstory than we actually did: hopefully, his particular tale will emerge gradually in future instalments.
So In itself, as a story, the pros
Sheila Goicea
See my full review of this book on my blog along with others at: foalsfictionandfiligree.com

I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review from Parliament House Publishing. Thank you so much!

Content Warning: Vivid Death and Gore, Profanity, Possible Emotional Abuse

description

For every light there was a shadow, for every dream, a nightmare.

Wow. I requested an ARC of this book on a whim. While a story based on the Sandman sounded interesting, I was apprehensive because of the warning in th
Sissy Lu {Book Savvy Reviews}
Sep 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of splintered, fans of coraline
Whoah! Fans of Neil Gaiman, Splintered [by A.G. Howard,] and Nightmare on Elm Street, look no further. Your next read has arrived...or sort of, coming to a bookstore near you in January '19! ;D

A book about the Sandman, and the Weaver? Sign me up! I loved Sandy from Guardians, but my *favorite* was Pitch, and if you loved him too I can promise that you'll love Weaver! I'm also a huge fan of Splintered by A.G. Howard and this filled a void for me, the world building is epic as well as eerie, and
Dianne
Mr. Sandman, bring me a dream…Amber R. Duell’s DREAM KEEPER is a refreshingly unique read that fulfilled this fantasy lover’s dream of finding another hidden gem in the treasure chest of great reading!

Nora has always met the Sandman in her dreams, but when she becomes a suspect in her friends’ murders, only the Sandman can help her find the killer. He has crossed the veil between dreams and the physical world, but he is not alone, the Nightmare Lord, his nemesis, has his sights set on Nora…and b
JenacideByBibliophile
Disclaimer: This book was sent to me by the publisher, The Parliament House, via NetGalley for an honest review.

Opinion:

When I saw Dream Keeper on Netgalley, I just knew I had to have it.

A retelling of the Sandman, the weaver of nightmares, and a young girl caught up in the middle of it all? Sold. A YA story or romance, fantasy and magic? Sold.

A Lord of Nightmares, and a Lord of Dreams.

A Night World, and a Day World.

It ALL just promised to be SO. AMAZING.

I mean I just…loved it…

With the desc
Shelley
*Source* Publisher
*Genre* Young Adult, Paranormal
*Rating* 3.5-4

*Thoughts*

Dream Keeper is the first installment in author Amber R. Duell's The Dark Dreamer Trilogy. A fair warning, this story is dark. There are grotesque death scenes that may not be suitable for those who are triggered by blood and more blood. Personally, none of this affected me in the way I rated this book overall or my desire to read the sequel. This story alternates between 17-year old Nora Gallagher, and the Sandman who is t
Ash †Reviews of a FearStreetZombie†
Okay so I had this really long review written and sadly, it didn't save. So I'm going to try this again and hope it saves. A person can only have so many emotions! ... And lemme tell ya... This book has a lot of emotions to sort through. Lol

I freaking LOVED this book. It was Rise of the Guardians meets Nightmare On Elm Street. Two of my favorite things! From the very first sentence of this book, I was instantly hooked. I never wanted to put this book down.... and I didn't unless I had to sleep.
Kalyn Josephson
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was lucky enough to read an early copy of this book! It's just the sort of fantastical escape that I enjoy. The dream world Amber creates is so beautiful and terrifying, the villain compelling, and I can't even being to describe the ending. Let's just say I need book 2 immediately. If you're a fan of dark fantasies, this one's for you.
Hélène Louise
I didn't finish this book and stopped at the half. Not because I didn't like it at all, I was rather entertained, but because of some important things lacking and suddenly some insufferable ones appearing.

From the very beginning I had some great difficulties suspending my belief about one particular point: the sandman is not human and is ageless: he exists since forever, since the first humans. But in this story he's also and mostly a seventeen years old boy with magic powers. He had the exact p
Jessica
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an amazing tale!

The Sandman and the Weaver of Nightmares. Wonderful writing and world building, just wonderful, I tell you. It’s days later, and I’m still thinking about the picturesque night realm that author Amber R. Duell has created.

The characters are relatable, the fantasy world rich and lovely, even during nightmare sequences, and the abilities of the Sandman and Nightmare Lord were a joy to see in action. I’m excited to see this series continue.

This is an amazing YA Fantasy that I c
Nia •ShadesOfPaper•
For more review follow my blog shades of paper

Okay, where do I start with this book? I was so excited to read it, because the premise sounded absolutely amazing, and I thought I would really love this book, but turns out I was pretty disappointed with its outcome, and had a lot of problems not only with the characters but with the plot itself.

One of the main problems I had with Dream Keeper was that there was hardly any information or explanation neither about the magic system nor about the worl
Inga Lady Of Bookland
WOW...I need a bit more time to put my thoughts together but what a ride this was. My review probably will be ready later today :)

Dream Keeper by Amber R. Duell was kindly provided by publisher via NetGalley, in exchange for an honest review. So I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Dream Keeper was my first book by Amber R. Duell. I must say, she delivered an amazing dark YA fantasy romance that partly takes place in a real world, an
Sophia (Bookwyrming Thoughts)
I received this book for free from YA Bound Book Tours in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
Let's begin with how gorgeous the cover for Dream Keeper is because it is one heck of a beauty. In a way, it gives off great dreamy vibes that could go dark any minute.

Welcome to the world where dreams and nightmares form.
Amber Duell brings us to an interestingly crafted world where dreams and nightmares are separate from each other
Helenasghost
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arc, ebook
OK, so right now I am flailing at the thought of this not having another instalment until heavens know when. Flailing so hard that the flapping of my arms and gums could probably cool bystanders in this disgusting summer heat. I have already posted my appreciation to Instagram, Twitter, 3 different private messages and I'm pretty sure all neighbouring houses within a 1km radius from my residence know how much I love this novel by now.

It starts out with Nora meeting the Sandman in a dream at age
Tonja Drecker
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A trip in Dreamland holds so much more than expected, especially when it comes to what lurks in the shadows.

Nora isn't sure whether she's crazy or not, but it doesn't matter. She needs to hide her vivid dreams and hallucinations no matter what, or it's back in therapy with her. Not to mention how badly her mom would take it. But the dreams aren't letting go. They're becoming more alluring than before, especially the stranger, the Sandman. When strange and horrible deaths begin occurring in real
Gerardo Delgadillo
Misters Sandman, bring me a dream…

You know how the famous song by The Chordettes goes.

But in DREAM KEEPER, dreams can turn into something else to put it mildly. For Nora, meeting with the Sandman in her lucid dreams is great, until the Nightmare Lord enters the scene. Then her life spirals out of control, as her friends die unexpectedly and other creepy things happen. Yikes!

So, because of that, this novel isn’t for the faint of heart, not that it’s super-dark or anything. The beautiful prose tak
Amy
This book is vividly full of nightmares that will make your skin crawl. I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this book up, but descriptions that made me truly shudder was not one of them. This book propels readers into a world of dreams, somewhat reminiscent of Freddy Krueger, and just as chilling. While I enjoyed the premise and world building, I struggled to find a true connection with the characters. I was rooting for them for sure, but never truly felt as though I got to know them, whi ...more
Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
*I received an ARC of this book for the Rockstar Book Tours blog tour for an honest review. My review is posted after the tour is over due to the tour's guidelines. All thoughts and opinions are my own and no quotations will be used*

Oh man I'm bummed that I didn't enjoy this as much as I thought :/ I just had a few things that were annoying, overly dramatic and just not what I had hoped. A review will be posted on November 5 on the blog and the link will be here once the review is live.
Zola
Jan 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book from Netgalley. It was well-written and very readable, but the combination of juvenile language and the extreme death depicted as well as other adult themes was a little confusing when put together as it made it hard to work out who this was aimed at. I guessed the ending about halfway through and didn’t really grow attached to any of the characters. It had the promise of my sort of book, but I didn’t enjoy it as much as I thought I would.
Maca
Feb 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was quite good, but I was expecting more 😕🤷🏻♀

2,75⭐
Bethany
Apr 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For five years, Nora has been dreaming about the Sandman. After being told she's crazy, she finds it hard to believe whether or not the Sandman is real. When people start drying, Nora starts hearing whispers about a Dream Keeper from the Weaver, the lord of Nightmares. She keeps telling herself it isn't real, but it's harder to deny when she catches Ben, a new coworker, talking back to the whispers. There's something familiar about Ben and Nora finds herself drawn to him.

When Nora learns that sh
Maggie
Sep 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: arcs, ebooks
Thank you to the author for the free copy. It’s much appreciated.

Here’s the thing. I really like this book. But I also got a little bored towards the end and skimmed. The story is great. Very creepy in the best way possible. I was loving the imagery and how grotesque it could be at times. It gave me some Nightmare on Elm Street vibes, which is always a good thing!

Nora has dreams where she sees the Sandman, and this has happened for a long time. They are a weird sort of friends. But it gets more
queen0f_hearts

Before I start: By Parliament Press, I was provided a free copy in exchange for my honest opinion.

How do I put it? This book was quite meh. Of course, it was entertaining and worth reading to some degree but I think it could have been so much more! The premise of the book, especially the Sandman lured me and I felt so very intrigued to read this story. I expected him to be a mysterious character in a magical world. I wanted all the impossible, I mean, it’s the Dream World! But what did I get?

T

Jessica Julien
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book blew me away! I was addicted to it from the very first chapter and had a hard time putting it down. Duell does an exceptional job pulling the reader into the world of Dreams and introduces us to a darker concept of the night world where nightmares seep into reality. Her take on the Sandman is brilliant and I loved every second of it.

The characters are very relatable and unique--they each have their own personalities that lead the story and with a little bit of romance, it makes the sto
Sofiraindrop
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
*I received a copy in exchange for an honest review via NetGalley*
Ever wondered what Freddy Krueger might feel? Or if someone would love him?
Well, in Dream Keeper, we get to know what I would call his "cute little brother", the Sandman, who to my surprise, isn't evil at all.
It actually was a cool idea to begin with, and I really felt bad for Nora, especially as the book evolves, but sadly there was loads left unexplored. I really hope the next one gets better!
Taylor
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, arc
"The universe always kept the balance.
For every light there was a shadow,
for every dream, a nightmare."

Introduction:
I had the opportunity to read a sneak peak of The Dream Keeper and was immediately intrigued. Duell's depiction of the Dream Realm was so vivid that I felt like I could almost touch it, and I was fascinated by her decision to use the Sandman as one of her main characters. However, as the story progressed, my initial excitement disappeared. I felt like there was little gro
Sonja
Jan 24, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
I'm more ashamed at myself that it took me over a week to finish this book, but I just could not get into it as much as I was hoping too. In fact, more times than not, when I had time to read I chose to read a different book that I've read numerous times already. Honestly though, it wasn't actually bad. I thought that the world created here was interesting and the nightmare realm especially fantastic and descriptive. It simply lacked something to truly hook me.

My absolute favorite character here
Carrie (brightbeautifulthings)
I received a free e-copy through NetGalley from the publishers at The Parliament House. Trigger warnings: death, parent death, suicide, torture, body horror, eye horror, self-harm, severe illness, heart attack, violence, blood, threats, mental illness, hospitals.

Every night, seventeen-year-old Nora visits the Sandman in her dreams. He’s her closest friend and best-guarded secret, since talk of the Sandman’s world when she was younger led to a series of doctors and psychiatric exams. But the Sand
« previous 1 3 next »

• Analiese Rising
  • Only Ashes Remain (Market of Monsters, #2)
  • The Last Hope (The Raging Ones, #2)
  • Atlas Fallen (Cyber Crown #1)
  • Winterdream
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Masked (Superheroes UnderCover, #1)
  • Other Words for Smoke
  • Malice
  • Strong Blood (Last Moon Rising, #2)
  • Empire of the Vampire (Empire of the Vampire, #1)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • Sick Kids in Love
  • Fireborne (The Aurelian Cycle, #1)
  • Here There Are Monsters
  • The Waking Forest
  • Song of Sorrow (Sorrow, #2)
  • Charity's Storm (Charity, #4)
Amber R. Duell is a native of Central New York but currently lives in Mississippi with her husband and two sons. She survives on caffeine and baked goods. When not reading or writing, she enjoys snowboarding, embroidering, staying up way too late to research genealogy, and discovering real-life adventures.

The Dark Dreamer Trilogy (3 books)
  • Dark Consort (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #2)
  • Night Warden (The Dark Dreamer Trilogy, #3)
“Battles weren't won by cowards.” 6 likes