Start by marking “Keep This to Yourself” as Want to Read:
Keep This to Yourself

Keep This to Yourself

It's been a year since the Catalog Killer terrorized the sleepy seaside town of Camera Cove, killing four people before disappearing without a trace. Like everyone else in town, eighteen-year-old Mac Bell is trying to put that horrible summer behind him—easier said than done since Mac's best friend Connor was the murderer's final victim. But when he finds a cryptic message ...more
Published May 21st 2019 by AW Teen

To ask other readers questions about Keep This to Yourself, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Keep This to Yourself

Start your review of Keep This to Yourself
C.G. Drews
this book was so so stressful...I am sTRESSED. At one point I literally had to tell myself to relax my jaw lmao...which is the sign of a good thriller right!? Now I'm aware it doesn't come out till April (shh i got excited and read early) so I'll just cobble a few thoughts here and fill out the review closer to the date!

it is about a serial killer so like, dude, cREEPy
quiet soft narrator
m/m romance
trauma? we gotcha trauma
it's a year-old case now but Mac's best friend was murdered and he
Larry H
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars.

Once there were five friends in the small town of Camera Cove—Mac, Ben, Connor, Doris, and Carrie. They were inseparable, and they thought they'd be friends forever. But as often happens, as you grow up, your interests change and suddenly the friendships you couldn't live without when you were young don't matter as much, if at all.

But Mac and Connor remained friends, even though Connor was the golden boy—popular, artistic, the object of attraction for many of the girls in their high
Kai
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: queer, owned
This gay YA murder mystery was one of my most anticipated releases of 2019. I love how queer characters slowly conquer different genres in YA that aren't limited to romance/contemporary fiction. We finally get the sci-fi/fantasy/thriller rep we deserve.

The book was rather plot-driven, and a slow burn at the same time. Mac, the main character, collected clues here and there but none of it made much sense until the very end. There were some nicely positioned hints that totally sent me down the
Christopher
Jun 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019, netgalley
It’s been a year since the Catalog Killer finished his reign of terror in the the seaside town of Camera Cove, leaving four people dead. Mac Bell has tried closing that chapter of his life— after all, the police’s official line is that it was a random drifter, and that’s been good enough for most people. But it’s not so easy for him considering the last victim was his best friend, Connor. However, after uncovering a mysterious note from Connor, Mac is forced to confront a past where nothing is ...more
Ludwig
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
4,5 stars!

"The fear that had drifted into Camera Cove like a fog now morphed into full-blown terror."

Nowadays, we often encounter thrillers where events are forced for unnecessary suspense or shock value. This book is definitely not that.
Keep This To Yourself is a mystery debut, and the author is already knocking over all cliche YA mystery concepts and gifting us with a fresh, engrossing approach to the genre.

I'm such a sucker for small town mysteries but it's definitely been a while since
Karen
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Thrillers can be really hit or miss with me - they either take too long to solve, have a ridiculous amount of red herrings, or have a predictable villain with poor motivation.

But I LOVED this book.

It takes place in Camera Cove, a small town that was rocked by four murders last year. The murderer was never found. The last victim was named Connor, a boy in high school who was also one of our narrator's best friends. One year later, Mac has decided to reopen the case himself and figure out who
Kyle
Apr 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Actual rating: 3.5 (rounded down) I really struggled with this rating. It’s one of the rare instances in which a book is ACTUALLY halfway between three and four stars.

I’ve also tagged *SPOILERS* appropriately, so I say: only open them if you’ve already read the book!

Many thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for this eARC.
*It should be mentioned that the copy I read is an unfinished draft, and may be subject to change upon release. Thereby, my opinion henceforth is of the said uncorrected
Mónica BQ
4.5 stars rounded up

I am surprised beyond words by how much I liked this book.

This is an own voices YA mystery that reads like a mature crime book. Add in to that a diverse (ish) cast in a small town setting and it was totally my jam. I really liked how Mac's backstory is seamlessly incorporated into the main one. The fact that he is gay, young, a bit lonely and still grieving is not the main plot, which is about a serial killer. So the book ticked a lot of boxes for me.

I really enjoyed how the
BunTheDestroyer
Jan 22, 2019 rated it liked it
**I received an ARC from Netgalley in exchange for an honest review**

I don't think that this book was for me, but I DO think that others will like it. I didn't connect to any of the characters; it could have been because the main was male and usually in my YA reading the leads are female.

That is probably why I found myself wanting to know more about things from Doris' and Carrie's POV. Especially Doris, of course. Or Ben, even: would've liked to know more about his problems.

I was very surprised
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
***Thanks to NetGalley for providing me a complimentary copy of KEEP THIS TO YOURSELF by Tom Ryan in exchange for my honest review.***

4.5 STARS

What an unexpected gem!

Ingredients for a perfect mystery:

1 serial killer
1 estranged group of friends
1 murdered friend
1 kickass narrator
A bunch of interesting minor characters
1 possible love interest
A generous handful of clues
A sprinkle of red herrings
An ending I didn’t see coming

KEEP THIS TO YOURSELF is one of those novels I wanted to reread
Alexandra
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
This book had me hooked from the start, i loved it!

First i want to say that i really liked the characters in this. They were varied and felt real, and i especially loved Mac. The way these characters acted and the way they spoke just made scenes flow, and it was so easy to imagine what was happening and how it could look.

Secondly, i loved the story. There were moments where i kept wondering who the culprit would really be, and i loved that i had my doubts and was kept in suspense until the
Taylor (TaysInfiniteThougts)
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
My first reaction after reading this book was definitely, “Wow, I did not see that coming.” As you read this book you’ll think you know who the killer is but I promise you that you’re wrong. When I started the book I immediately thought I knew what happened and while I wasn’t entirely wrong, I was still wrong. Which is what makes this such a great book. Unlike most mystery/thriller novels, you won’t know what really happened until the very end. It’ll definitely keep you on your toes.
Vanessa
What do you do when the person who held your friend group together gets murdered and you find an old message from the day he died that asks for your help? You go and find the murderer, obviously!

I was so afraid this was going to suck (cause teenagers solving murders has so many chances to go wrong), but I'm so happy to announce that it really didn't! Horray!

This is one of those instances where the first person narrator makes a lot of sense, because for this story to work the reader needs to see
rin ( ̄ヘ ̄)	 read/watch mo dao zu shi
i really wish i liked it but i didn't feel anything about the Big Reveal and the romance (not the focus of the novel, tho) was, honestly, annoying. insta-lovey and awkward.
this was not a bad read, i was just very bored
Kal ★ Reader Voracious
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kal ★ Reader Voracious by: Meaghan - Words Gremlin
"Last summer a serial killer paid a visit to Camera Cove. By the time the dust settled, four people were dead."
I've been in the mood for a mystery/thriller, and when my friend Meaghan wrote a glowing review I decided that I needed to read this one myself. And friends, I am not joking when I say that this book cured my freaking reading slump.

Ryan manages to pack so much information into the opening page of the book, relaying complex histories between the characters and hinting to a great
Ryan
Apr 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On their graduation night, Mac and his friends meet to open a time capsule. Last year their community of Camera Cove was traumatized by four murders and the killer has never been caught. Their friend, Connor, his final victim, was different than the others, but with the same catalog photo cut out corresponding to the victim. When Mac finds new evidence, he starts on a path digging up secrets that should have stayed buried.

This YA murder mystery reminds me of the recent US release “One of Us Is
USOM
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
(Disclaimer: I received this book from Edelweiss. This has not impacted my review which is unbiased and honest.)

I could not put Keep This to Yourself down. Sleepily I picked it up after waking up and I could not stop reading. It's a thriller which will keep you on the edge of your toes as Ryan delves into this small town with big secrets. It's a book about grief and searching for closure, not letting all these questions remain unanswered. All of this while there's a swoony adorable gay romance
Dahlia
Whoosh, the was the first ebook I've read in a single day in months. Lots of twists and turns, things I saw coming and things I definitely didn't. I don't really like to say any more about thrillers, so, I won't!
Karsyn
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable book and story. Good characters with a good story, some things I saw coming, some I didn't. Kept me engaged throughout.

Would have been 5 stars except for the end. Didn't like it, it wouldn't have happened that way. So, that was my only disappointment about the book.
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, lgbtq
Last year, the small coastal town of Camera Cove was haunted by a serial killer dubbed the Catalog Killer. After their fourth murder, the killer stopped. Did they vanish? Or just finish their story? Mac’s best friend Connor was the last victim and moving on has been impossible. When Mac finds a note Connor left for him, Mac is determined to see if he can solve the mystery that stumped law enforcement.

I am on a bit of a murder mystery kick and have been inhaling these types of stories. Gorged
Sarvenaz Tash
Jun 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK!!!!

It was the perfect, perfect summer mystery. Though, as my husband can attest, it made me jumpy several times when he merely walked into the room at inopportune (read: SUSPENSEFUL AF) moments in the story.

Anyway, everything played out flawlessly and unexpectedly as only a superb mystery can. It reminded me of Hitchcock and Christie in the best ways, and kept me on my toes with its twists and turns (and gah! Camera Cove can be reallllly terrifying).

I can’t recommend it enough.
Julianna
Jun 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heart-pounding and fun YA thriller. If you enjoyed Maureen Johnson's Truly Devious, this is right up the same alley. The red herrings are woven so skillfully that it almost works to the book's detriment. Around 75% I thought I had it all figured out and was ready to finish on a solid three stars... but then the twists come at you real fast. Love it when that happens!
thi
Jun 15, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5/5
- I love a good murder mystery
- little details I appreciated included Mac and his friends very willingly providing every piece of evidence they found to the police
- There’s a little romance that’s cute but damn was it rushed .. y’all JUST met
- Past halfway there’s a bit of some realization and twist in attitudes that without giving anything away ... I loved
- But with the change you could probably guess who did it
- Even with the reveal though ooouuuu it’s fun
Kelsie
Jun 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: meh
2.75/3 Stars

This started out pretty strong; unfortunately I had a pretty strong idea of whodunnit, and it just didn’t seem all that believable to me. That coupled with total lack of development of the relationship between the two MCs and it wasn’t a winner for me. Honestly it may have been better to just leave out any relationship at all and use the extra pages to flesh out the mystery a bit more.
Jamie Canaves
YA Serial Killer Mystery

This was a page-turner about an unsolved small-town mystery with a teen that won’t let it go. It also had the added bonus of a serial killer, but for those who shy away from serial killer reads, because they’re usually really dark, this novel never went into dark territory.

It’s been a year since the killings ended in Camera Cove and the community is finally trying to find a new normal and put it behind them. But Mac Bell lost his best friend and when the library asks him
c,
But Connor isn’t here to hold us together anymore, and there’s nothing I can do to change that.

On my blog.

Actual rating 4.5

Rep: gay mc, biracial black gay li

Galley provided by publisher

You know a book is good when you finish it and try get your thoughts together and all you have is oh fuck. That’s me with this one. Even after I went away and slept on it (I stayed up late reading this, another sign how good it is).

Keep This to Yourself is set a year after a series of murders in a small
Christine -  LifeWithAllTheBooks
There’s something about a small town mystery that almost always makes for a juicy story full of secrets and for the most part Keep This To Yourself is no exception. A small community like Camera Cove that is full of intriguing characters gives the book an almost insular feeling that the reader can fully immerse themselves in. The aftermath of a shocking event is also a good place to begin a story of these people who have lived through a string of murders.

The book follows Mac whose life has been
Esha Dickson
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Review:

TW: death, violence, murder, serial killer.

Release Date: 7 May 2019.

Received an eARC from NetGalley for review. It’s been a year since the Catalog Killer terriorised the seaside town of Camera Cove, leaving 4 bodies behind and very few clues. Like everyone, Mac is trying to move on, but is finding it understandably hard given his best friend, Connor, was the killer’s final victim. When Mac finds a cryptic message from Connor, he’s determined to find out what really happened to the
Jerico
FRTC

I've had quite a few issues with it but otherwise it was a great, nerve-wracking and brilliant read all throughout. It ended so abrupt that at one full minute, I forgot to breathe somehow and I got so surprised on such a huge reveal. Truly unexpected, to say the least. Partly horrifying and exhilarating, this book will make you wonder how everything is not always what it looks like on the outside and realize there are always two sides in every story, no matter how hard it is to believe.
Carmen
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, glbt
A year after a serial killer breezed through Camera Cove, Mac and his small group of friends are trying to recover from the murder of one their friends and move on with their lives. Unfortunately for Mac, he discovers a note indicating that his late best friend, Connor, stumbled upon something major about the murders. He can’t move on with his life until he gets to the bottom of this note. What did Connor know, and would he have survived if Mac discovered the note sooner?

Told in the first

• Me Myself & Him
  • Ziggy, Stardust and Me
  • We Are Lost and Found
  • The Gravity of Us
Tom Ryan is the author of several books for young readers. He has been nominated for several awards, and two of his young adult novels, Way to Go and Tag Along, were chosen for the ALA Rainbow List, in 2013 and 2014. He was a 2017 Lambda Literary Fellow in Young Adult Fiction. Tom, his husband, and their dog currently divide their time between Toronto and Nova Scotia.