Start by marking “Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)” as Want to Read:
Silent Blade (Kinsmen, #1)

Silent Blade

(Kinsmen #1)

The World of Kinsmen

Family is everything. Talent is power. And revenge is sweet.

In a distant, future world Kinsmen—small powerful groups of genetically and technologically advanced families—control vast financial empires. They are their own country, their own rulers, and their only limits are other Kinsmen. The struggle for power is a bloody, full-contact sport: in busin
Published September 20th 2018 by NYLA (first published June 2nd 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Silent Blade, please sign up.
Em (RavenS) Yep, but nothing too graphic. There's one sex scene if I remember correctly, but it's quite tame.

✘✘ Sarah ✘✘ (former Nefarious Breeder of Murderous Crustaceans)
💥 September 26, 2018: finally!!!! Both Silent Blade and Silver Shark are available again!!! And with shiny new covers and everything!!! Buy them buy them buy them!!! (I might unleash the crustaceans on you if you don't. But hey, no pressure and stuff.)

We're the IAA™ and We Need to Buddy Read IA Stuff While We're Waiting to Buddy Read More IA Stuff Buddy Read (WtIAAaWNtBRIASWWWtBRMIASBR™) ●

And the moral of this reread is : some people will have you believe that this little story here is *shu
Aj the Ravenous Reader

Let me help set some realistic expectations here because despite the cover and the title, this is really a cheesy but amazing love story between a kick-ass heroine (who doesn’t really kick ass), with a really super cool ability (but never uses it except to cut inanimate objects in half) and a ruthless, selfish macho hero (who turns into a mush when love-struck).

"I never claimed to be kind or virtuous. But for you, I will be."

"Wouldn’t a more fitting punishment be sentencing me
Helen 2.0
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, own, brs-done, scifi
Only Ilona Andrews could make a futuristic story about a Dark Horse assassin and her ruthless businessman target so heartwarming.

This short story takes place in a universe where some families have biologically engineered enhancements embedded in their bloodlines, building an futuristic aristocracy ruling the planet. The main character, Meli, was born with an exceedingly rare ability (although it's somewhat unclear what this ability allows her to do, other than slice people's heads off) and uses
Jessica ❁ ➳ Silverbow ➳ ❁ Rabid Reads-no-more
Reviewed by: Rabid Reads

So after I finished reading BURN FOR ME, the first book in Ilona Andrews’ new and amazing HIDDEN LEGACY series, I got to talking with another Ilona fan who had been told that the world-building in BURN FOR ME was similar to the worlds in the KINSMEN series and the novella, OF SWINE AND ROSES.

And I was like, “Huh. I can see that.” But it’d been years since my early OMG-I-LOVE-Ilona binge, so I decided a reread was in order.

And here we are.

Some time in the indeterminate fut
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
I reread this novelette when I was in an Ilona Andrews mood recently. I'm still leaving it at 3 stars, but I liked it quite a bit better on second read. Maybe 3.33 stars?

This 42 page fantasy romance by Ilona Andrews is about an elaborate revenge plot: In a world where certain families have been bred with near-magical mental and physical powers, arranged marriages are made to keep the families and their powers strong (a concept that the Andrews developed more fully later on in their HIDDEN LEGAC
Jilly
It was a cute little story about a girl getting revenge on her ex. Yes, there are a bunch of special skills, futuristic toys, and new names for everything, but none of that really mattered to the story. It's a mushy love story, through and through.

I still love Ilona Andrews, and always will. I'm even willing to give them my first born child for the next Kate and Nevada books now. Sure, she's fully grown and lives her own life. But, hey, she can make cakes.

Ilona Andrews:

I can have her on the nex
Jo ★The Book Sloth★
4 I Wanted More Stars

BR with the awesome IAA gang.

This book has everything I should hate...

1) A serious case of insta-love. The insta-love in this book was heavy. The couple practically fell in love in two days without knowing much about each other.

2) A very high-handed hero. Celino was full of arrogance and my-way-or-the-highway attitude. He was a jerk with zero nice in him to give him some kind of weird redemption.

3) It was a novella so the story never developed well. This is its most seriou
Sh3lly (GrumpyBookGrrrl.com)
As a short story, this was better than most. The world was established and we even got a romance! It was a lot to pack into about 50-60 pages or so. Because of that, the romance is rushed and a bit tropey. The setting is a futuristic world where families with abilities and genetic upgrades hold all the power (kind of reminded me of Hidden Legacy; I wonder if this book planted a seed for that series at all...)

The daughter of one family is an assassin or bounty hunter who works undercover for her

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

Is there anything by Ilona Andrews I won't read? Lol, JK. That was a trick question because obviously the answer is no. SILENT BLADE has been on my radar for a while now ever since someone on my friends list essentially said that it as Hidden Legacy 1.0 and trust me when I say that I would gladly pay money to revisit one of my favorite book series of all-time, even when written in a slightly inferior format. But until recently, both SILENT
Robin (Bridge Four)
I love the chemistry and the story line and the amazing way that IA turns almost anything I read by them into a world and story I never want to leave. I finish their stories and I'm always ready to go back to page 1 and start all over again.

Super short but I enjoyed every minute spent reading it with my lovely ladies over at Ilona Andrews Addicts (IAA) you girls just get me.

IA IA IA I think I’m in love with all things IA.

This is just a novella so there isn’t a ton of time for set up and delive
 Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books)
My friend was so right. This story definitely had shades of Harlequin Presents, with a little Romeo and Juliet thrown in--the feuding families, not the starcrossed lovers.

Celino is a butthead. A sexy one, but a butthead all the same. He could not be more of an arrogant, Harlequin Presents-type hero.

Meli, well she's definitely got more brass than the usual heroine in that line. And she's completely badass. I have to admit, I would have liked it better if she almost tried to kill him before they g
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
I was shocked to see this available through my library for check out. This was a nice short story that I was able to read while getting ready for work. It seems Ilona Andrews can do no wrong.
Alexa
Jan 27, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Buddy read with the awesome girls at Ilona Andrews Addicts!

☑Insta-love.
☑Super rich uber smart perfect douche guy.
☑Coincidences.

I can keep going, but even with the tropes it kind of works. Or I'm too much of a fangirl to hate something Ilona wrote.

Also, it's a really short read; perfect to read before sleeping and still get SOME sleep. (Don't tell me you don't read "just one more chapter" and suddenly it's 6AM and there are birds chirping outside!)
KatieV
Very enjoyable short read. As others have stated it is like a sci-fi Harlequin Presents. Ruthless tycoon hero who caused the heroine to be cut off from her life and family. Of course, this being a Ilona Andrews' heroine, we get a sexy assassin in a sci-fi setting rather than a virtuously poor beauty scrubbing floors and living in a dingy bedsit. Fun any way you slice it. :)
Renégade ♥
4 to 4 1/2 stars

"You're not a woman yet, Meli. But one day you will be. You won't be beautiful, but you will be attractive and men will flock to you. Me, your Aunt Nez, your grandmother, we all have that something that makes men turn their heads and do silly things to entice us into their beds. Don't worry darling. He will notice you one day. You will hit him like a brick."

And does she ever.

So, let's see, where to begin...

Now they wanted her to assassinate the man who had doomed her. A man she k
JAIME
Oct 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my second read of this book - this time with the lovely IAA girls.

Silent Blade is the first (short) book in the Kinsmen series set in the far future where humans have colonised distant planets and created genetically enhanced human beings. Its an extremely cutthroat civilisation, where a family's strength is everything.

Meli has cut herself off from her family to save them further embarrassment after she was rejected by the jerk, Celino, she had been betrothed to since she was 10. Inst
♔ Jaela ♊ Killer ⚔ QUEEN
I don't have many words for this. Short, cute, heart-warming :)

Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘
Jan 20, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Elise ✘ a.k.a Ryder's Pet ✘ by: Julia
This could have been good, it really could. But right now, specially in the damn reading slump I'm in, Silent Blade just didn't work out for me, at all :(
Rate: 1.5/2 stars.
Irene Sim
Brilliant! Mesmerizing! Adorable!

I've said many times in my reviews that as much as I admire authors for the great, full length novels they write, I feel utter respect when they write great short stories. I admire Leigh Bardugo for that and now, Ilona Andrews as well.

This short story, set in the kinsmen world, features an accomplished assassin, Meli and her heartbroken tale. How she seeks revenge from the man who refused her many years ago, and the clever way she managed to bring him to his kne
Rachel Maniacup
This book was reccommended to me by my ever awesome sister Aj,the ravenous reader,and this really is a cheesy love story and I loved it!

Hey sis,can I just copy your review and post it here so I won't be repeating the things you've written there,as I agree to everything you've said? Can I,can I?hehe..

Well, all I can say is..This is a must read beautifully written short novel! Highly reccommended to those who need a light,enjoyable read.^^
Marla Mei
OMG thank you so much Aj the Ravenous Reader for recommending this to me. YOU ARE THE BEST. Now go check out her amazing review on this one here. I'm too lazy to write my own and besides, her review says it all already. The only thing I could add is that I wish this was longer!!!!
Liz* Fashionably Late
“I hope that you truly love me. I hope it hurts.”

description
Let me see:
✕ Cheesy as fuck
✕ Insta-love
✕ A jerk for a hero
✕ A puking rainbows ending

And I LOVED it. L-O-V-E-D it.
Maybe IA can't do wrong, maybe IA is Satan and I can't give them less than 4 stars.
Tandie
I have a soft spot for discriminating assassins. It seems almost a noble profession if they only kill people who've done dastardly deeds, you know? Meli is both a deadly killer and the sweet girl from back home. She cooks and bakes tantalizing dishes that evoke happy childhood memories. She cuts bodies in half with a mere flick of her wrist. How can you not love a woman like that?
Hollis
A quick and dirty sci-fi romance about getting revenge on your ex. Not entirely sure what book two will be about considering that ending but I'll read on.
Maria Dimitrova
Nov 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: br-iaa, buddy-reads
Buddy read with the IAA.

Usually I dislike second chance romances and in its essence this book is precisely that. It just proves that nothing is set in stone if IA is the author. This is what happens usually when I get brainwashed into reading a similar story - I want the male lead to end up gelded. Or at least very very miserable and alone! Somehow IA made me want an a-hole like Celino Carvanna to get his HEA. I can't recognise myself! Add to it the fact that it's a freaking short story (less th
-ya
Silent Blade, a sci-fi fantasy, is a short novella with only 50 kindle pages. The novella is certainly not perfect, but it is the optimization of great elements in Ilona Andrew’s books I appreciate.

#too short # 4 IA fans
Catherine
I liked it a lot even if I thought (view spoiler)
Milda Page Runner
3.5*
Fast and enjoyable read. I.Andrews can pull of even predictable romance. As always – an interesting world and effortless wordbuilding, fast moving plot, mature characters that are not dumbed down, no silly mistakes or fake drama. It’s sexy, but getting someone in bed is not the goal of the story.
AvidReader
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars ⭐.
I felt so much for the heroine!. Especially the rejection she faced from hero and the aftermath. But I ‘loved’ how she still came out as victor. I also found her revenge apt. He deserved it.
This novella also made me tear up which isn’t a small feat. So that’s a plus too.
Both of them weren’t celibate during separation and predictably hero’s past set my teeth on edge.
Recommended.
oliviasbooks
It started so promising, so very promising, tickling my appetite for graceful, ruthless assassins, outer space, old dynasties, artificially enhanced bodies and a bit of dangeous romance on the side.

But soon, so very soon, the excellent premise got thoroughly drenched in stickily sweet romance of the manly-he-expertly-claims-what-is-his kind as he invested some expendable money and did circus tricks with his muscular tongue and other body extensions, whereas the new-planet-scenery simply served a
  • Wanderlust (Sirantha Jax, #2)
  • Finders Keepers
  • Magic Bleeds - Awake (Curran POV #9)
  • Song of Scarabaeus (Scarabaeus, #1)
  • Enemy Within (Enemy, #1)
  • An Apple for the Creature
  • Close Encounters (Alien Affairs, #1)
  • Collision Course (8th Wing #1)
  • Mina Wentworth and the Invisible City (Iron Seas, #1.5)
Ilona Andrews is the pseudonym for a husband-and-wife writing team. Ilona is a native-born Russian and Gordon is a former communications sergeant in the U.S. Army. Contrary to popular belief, Gordon was never an intelligence officer with a license to kill, and Ilona was never the mysterious Russian spy who seduced him. They met in college, in English Composition 101, where Ilona got a better grade ...more

Kinsmen (3 books)
  • Silver Shark (Kinsmen, #2)
  • A Mere Formality
“Superstitions add texture to life.” 6 likes
“Women usually respond well to drama and decisive declarations of lust.” “I’m not that sort of a woman. Unfortunately for you, I’m not for sale.” 0 likes