Start by marking “Darkest Truth: She refused to be silenced (Finn Fitzpatrick Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Darkest Truth: She refused to be silenced (Finn Fitzpatrick Series Book 1)

Darkest Truth: She refused to be silenced (Finn Fitzpatrick Series Book 1)

_________________________
He'll do anything to protect his secrets. She'll stop at nothing to expose the truth.

It only takes one person to break the silence.

When solicitor Finn Fitzpatrick is approached by a man to investigate the death of his daughter, her first instinct is to refuse.

The father

Published January 1st 2019 by Cornerstone Digital

To ask other readers questions about Darkest Truth, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darkest Truth

Start your review of Darkest Truth: She refused to be silenced (Finn Fitzpatrick Series Book 1)
Paromjit
This is a brilliant crime thriller debut from Catherine Kirwan featuring Finola 'Finn' Fitzpatrick, a solicitor, set in the small town of Cork in Ireland. In a story that held me completely enthralled throughout, the contemporary issues surrounding #MeToo are addressed in a intelligent and pertinent manner. Finn is engaged by Sean and Ann Carney to look into the suicide of their daughter, Deirdre, suffering depression and self harming since a Cork Film Festival some years previously. It is not o ...more
Anni
Feb 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When the location of a story is familiar it always adds an extra dimension of enjoyment to the reading experience, as was the case for me reading this crime thriller set in Cork, described here as a city of 'shabby magnificence' which is a perfect portrayal.
As a solicitor turned detective, our feisty narrator finds herself getting more involved than is wise, whilst trying to build a seemingly unwinnable case, with very little evidence to go on. Her insider knowledge makes the piecing together of
Dale Harcombe
Finola Fitzpatrick usually known as Finn is a solicitor. When Sean Carney comes to her asking her to investigate what happened to his daughter Deidre, Finn feels a strange compulsion to take it further even though there seems little to go on. After taking part in a film festival in Cork, Deidre changed from a happy confident 15 year old to becoming depressed, suffering mental issues over years and ultimately taking her own life. Deidre’s parents are convinced that a famous film director. Since h ...more
Elaine Tomasso
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would like to thank Netgalley and Random House UK, Cornerstone for a review copy of Darkest Truth, the first novel to feature Cork lawyer Finn Fitzpatrick.

Finn is approached by Sean Carney asking for help. Ten months previously his daughter Deirdre committed suicide after fifteen years of mental health issues, caused he believes by a rape when she was fifteen years old. She never named the rapist but Sean has his suspicions and with the man due in Cork he wants Finn to prevent more attacks.

I t
peggy
Jan 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very confusing read and it was a struggle to finish.
The subject matter while current could have been dealt with a lot better. Also I found the writing unbelievable. How can the solicitor in this story have more clout than the police ?
A very frustrating and confusing read not for me.
I would like the author, Random House UK and Netgalley for the advanced copy in return for giving an honest review.
Mairead Hearne (swirlandthread.com)
He will do anything to protect his secrets.
She will stop at nothing to expose the truth.
Because these are powerful people she is trying to expose.
And they’re willing to do anything to keep the truth hidden…….

Finola ‘Finn’ Fitzpatrick is a Cork solicitor, working and living in the city. She takes on the less salubrious cases that the other partners do not wish to dirty their hands with. But Finn enjoys these alternative cases and the freedom they allow her on a daily basis. ‘I was adaptable a
Emily
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW. That is all I can say. This book is so clever and the mystery is gripping. It took twists and turns that I never expected to happen. From nobody believing Finn to it all unravelling....honestly I want to read more.
The ending was amazing, I was hooked. I didn’t expect it at all, elements of it I did but what actually happened was honestly shocking. If you have not read this book you really need to, it will keep you wanting more and on the edge of your seat.
It might take you longer to read be
Aug 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliantly written book, based in my home city of Cork made it more appealing.
In my head I walked the routes in Cork that Finn walked. And the places she visited.
I even know the part of the river that’s mentioned in the first chapter.
Finns family story pulls on the heart strings, and has a similar story to a friend of mine.
Once Finn takes on the case she works so hard to collect the evidence and put the pieces of the jigsaw together.
I loved the ending, definitely leaves it open to a second
Chris Roberts
Aug 28, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
You have become enraptured with the straight razor,
console it, make love to it, yes, they will know, self-death is a sensuous truth.

Suicide is a stunted power play, a transitional state,
highly reversible, self-death is a physically impossible act,
suicide is the abstraction of spherical objects, tied to the moon, notorious gambler of lives.

#poem

Chris Roberts, God of Mortal Transgressions
Jennifer Nolan
This my first book by Catherine Kirwin and I enjoyed it. I recommend this book.
Susan Lanigan
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Gets off to a slow start but at about the 47% mark (reading kindle edition) takes off into an electrifying battle between good and evil. Review to follow.
Anne
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Siobhán Burke
Jul 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this - it's a crime thriller with a thought-provoking plot and a thoughtful, really well-developed heroine I'm looking forward to meeting in the next instalment of what promises to be a great crime novel series.
Cork city is used brilliantly as a backdrop in what is a very accomplished first novel.

Simone Cameron
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Darkest Truth.... The debut novel of writer Catherine Kirwan, focuses on solicitor, Finn, investigating the suicide of Deidre. Deidre's parents believe that a famous filmmaker is responsible for Deidre's death.

Initially there's very very little to go on for Finn to take on this case and investigate. Realistically, I'm not sure anybody would have done anything or acted on the desperate tears of a father looking for answers. On that note, this book was a slow burn.... It took very long to pie
Bec
Jun 18, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Anne
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Gosh, what a brilliant debut novel.
The main protagonist Finola Fitzpatrick, a solicitor, is approached by a couple asking her to investigate the suicide of their daughter Deirdre. The story takes place in a town in Cork in Ireland. After participating in a film festival in Cork arranged through her school, Deirdre went from being a happy, confident, clever 15 year old to becoming depressed, withdrawn and in need of mental health care for many years following the festival. Something catastrophic
Noll
Sep 15, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not much good to say about this book except it was easy enough to finish. Convoluted and very unbelieveable plot laid out almost in bullet points (first I did this, next I did this) and told by a dull (at times outright unlikeable, with the way she treats Davy) narrator about dull characters who all speak in an approximation of an Irish stereotype. Endless namedropping of streets (with a directional error in the first two pages) and Irish products, it reads like someone who knows all they know a ...more
Alison Blair
Feb 10, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the kind of book you think you can take or leave until about a 1/5 into it then you can't stop reading until the end. The characters take a little while to gel (and I still don't understand the main narrator's commitment issues) but this book is very well written and compelling. It is very concerning to realise that the predator character concerned is so prevalent in many industries and that they bully their way into making others not only protect their behaviour but, through fear or oth ...more
Dana
Jan 16, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, 2019
A very interesting debut thriller - the reader is guided through the plot by a conflicted solicitor, Finn Fitzpatrick, who becomes involved and acts outside the remit of her job. In the early chapters I was not too sure as there was an excess of description I felt. But as the story progressed the plot took over and there were plenty of twists and turns which kept me reading. Definitely a worthwhile read and I look forward to reading more by this author.
Many thanks to Netgalley/Catherine Kirwan/R
Aislinn Kelly
Apr 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a brilliant debut book by Catherine Kirwan! The book is set in Cork and the main character Finn, a lawyer. She is asked to investigate the suicide of a young women and her past troubles. I love crime books and it takes a lot to impress me but I absolutely loved this book! Finn is a fantastic protagonist and the plot line works really well and moves at a great pace. I look forward to reading more from Kirwan in the future.

Thanks to NetGalley and the publishers for this ARC.
Avril Dalton
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most enjoyable debut Thriller from Catherine Kirwan. I liked the fact that it's set in Cork. I could visualise where a lot of the story took place. It was an easy book to read - plenty of suspense that kept me interested and it's not filled with legal jargon. The side story of Finn and Davy added a bit more to it and I'm guessing this will run into the next novel which I eagerly await.
Anastasia Snyder
Sep 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Slow start but gets really good

This book starts very slowly and has a lot of details about the main character walking around Cork, Ireland. However, about a quarter of the way through the book it gets really interesting and I really enjoyed the character development, the main character is very likable and interesting. I would read another book in the series for sure.
Maggie
Sep 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is so good can’t believe its a debut to be honest. I thought Finn was a good solid character with kindness and determination. I know Cork City well and lovely to have the book set there. This is one of the best books I have read so far this year. Loved it and highly recommend.
Aaron Harvey
Nice story, kept me entertained throughout. I wouldn’t say a classic by any means but I liked it and kept me wanting more after each chapter. Nice references to Cork and Dublin which made it feel more real. Throughout the story I was reminded of the #metoo movement.
Sandie Bishop
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The frustrations of proving the truth about a much loved public figure are explored in this great debut by Catherine Kirwan.
EG
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Engaging and topical, introducing a character I'd be happy to follow to subsequent novels.
Amy Louise
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. Lots of twists and turns, and very relevant to recent developments in world news!
Peita
Oct 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Highly recommend this book. Kept me guessing to the end. Looking forward to Catherine’s next book.
Katie
Nov 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Can’t wait for Catherine’s next book 😊
Patti Hill
Very slow beginning

• Six Wicked Reasons
  • The Boy Who Fell (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #5)
  • Beneath the Surface (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #2)
  • The Cutting Place (Maeve Kerrigan #9)
  • Little Cruelties
  • Rewind
  • The Scholar (Cormac Reilly, #2)
  • Cruel Acts (Maeve Kerrigan #8)
  • Dirty Little Secrets
  • The Killer in Me (Frankie Sheehan, #2)
  • After the Fire (An Inspector Tom Reynolds Mystery)
  • The Darkest Place (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #4)
  • The Hiding Game
  • The Nothing Man
  • With Our Blessing (Inspector Tom Reynolds, #1)
  • Come a Little Closer
  • After the Silence
  • Final Betrayal (Detective Lottie Parker, #6)