Start by marking “The Star-spun Web” as Want to Read:
The Star-spun Web

The Star-spun Web

With her passion for scientific experimentation and her pet tarantula Violet, Tess de Sousa is no ordinary orphan. When a stranger shows up at Ackerbee’s Home for Lost and Foundlings, claiming to be a distant relative come to adopt her, Tess hopes to find some answers to her mysterious origins. But as she adjusts to her new life at Roedeer Lodge, it becomes clear that Nort ...more
Published February 7th 2019 by Stripes Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The Star-spun Web, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Star-spun Web

Schizanthus
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
One thought was so urgent that it drowned out all the others: she’ll only be two worlds away - will it be enough?
Tess is my kind of heroine. She’s smart, stubborn, determined and a good friend. She conducts scientific experiments in a raincoat that’s seen better days and her lab is otherwise known as the detention room. She has a pet tarantula named Violet and will quite happily ruin brand new clothes by climbing up a chimney. Oh, and she can travel between different realities!
“Could it be
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
Meet Tess de Sousa. She lives in Ackerbee’s Home for Lost and Foundlings, has a pet tarantula called Violet, and is a budding scientist. Not only that, but Tess wears glasses.

As an odd start to a review as that may seem, when I started reading The Star-spun Web, I was ecstatic to see a young, female protagonist wearing glasses and she has to clean them from time to time. As someone who wears glasses and knows the pain of constantly searching for something to clean them with (where DO those smudg
Kieran Fanning
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The cover art, boy/girl MC and subtle steampunk setting makes this the perfect companion to O' Hart's first title. But this is quite different too. Tess is a plucky heroine, with a cute sidekick in the form of a pet spider. The plot is action-packed and full of mystery, danger and adventure. I loved the parallel worlds idea and the star-spinner was a unique device to time-slip between them. This is a story about the collision of science and history, but ultimately it's about friendship. Seasoned ...more
Nikki
Jan 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received this book from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review.

I really enjoyed the concept of the Star-Spun web. And it has really lovely friendships in it, which is always lovely. And I love that she has a pet spider.

I also adore Miss Ackerbee for being so matter of fact about it all! That made me laugh. It was so refreshing to have an adult figure it out and tell the main character rather than not believing them.

I feel there were a few unanswered questions, about t
Laura Danks
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My 10yo read this in two sittings and the overall feedback was: BRILLIANT!
She loved the story, the strong friendship with Viola the Tarantula and Thomas. Also, Miss Ackerbee is a fantastic and supportive character to help Tess through the years. My daughter loved the writing and I'm sure this is not the only book she will read by the very talented Sinéad O’Hart.
Nia Talbot
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another fantastic novel by Sinéad O’Hart. A novel full of friendship, belonging, science and history.
Victoria
Dec 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-s
The story of Tess and her figuring out who she is after being left at Ackerbee’s Home for Lost and Foundlings, The Star-Spun Web is the excellent second book from Sinead O’Hart who follows up from the brilliant ‘Eye Of The North’.

The characters are brilliantly written in this book, though we launch into the plot quite quickly, Tess as a character develops well and the people around her are definitely just as strong, with characters such as those in the new home she lives in really emerging well
Aoife
Dec 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a2, a4n, stripes, feb, 2018
Sinéad hits it out of the park with her second novel, a tale of world slipping, spiders – *a* spider, at least – and children who might be each other. Trust me, it all makes sense when you read it. And you definitely should read this one. Children will love it, and it introduces its central conceits very gently. They'll be learning as they read!

I'm very much looking forward to having this one in my hands, so that I can shove it into other peoples' hands.

Receiving an ARC did not affect my review
Kayleigh Cyphus
Jan 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Sinéad O'Hart stormed into the Middle Grade scene last year with her fantastic debut The Eye of the North, so there were high expectations riding on her second book, The Star-Spun Web. Aside from the fact that Sara Mulvanny and Sophie Bransby have done a stellar job on the cover again (it's BEAUTIFUL!), this book was just as engaging and enjoyable to read as book one!

The Star-Spun Web is a mysterious story full of magic, science and wonder...and, despite my intense dislike of spiders, I actually
Georgie Lucraft-Townley
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I read and devoured ‘The Eye of the North’ when it was a featured monthly read on the Twitter page-Primary School Book Club; although this is a very different book, it’s touched by the same magic.
Sinaed O’Hart writes strong female protagonists so very well, but not in such a way as to alienate young male readers. She weaves a tale of adventure that twists and turns through alternate realities whilst coming to a conclusion that leaves you wanting more.
In short, I loved this book!
Graham Connors
Jan 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Star-spun Web is such an enjoyable book. Very inventive and creative, the characters O'Hart creates almost step off the page. I loved it from first page to last and though I'm afraid of spiders I found myself loving Violet (read it, you'll know what I mean). The Star-spun Web is a book that cultivates the joy of reading. Can't recommend it highly enough!
Lisa
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: middle-grade
A world splitting, cracking adventure story with a heroine and friends that you can't help but cheer for. I hope this is only the first in a set of adventures for Tess, Thomas, Violet, Moose and all the Ackerbees girls.
Steph
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this absolute ride! The brilliant characters, the fascinating science, the incredible plot and the brilliant sidekicks. Man, I REALLY hope there’ll be a second one!
Eve Mcdonnell
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a complete HOOT from start to finish! A joy to read. POW, went the plot! POW! POW! A truly fantastic story by a truly magnificent writer.
Just_me
Feb 02, 2019 rated it liked it
Read with my 11 year old daughter.

For some reason this book took us a long time to read. We enjoyed the story but found the pace really slow hence only 3 stars.

Daughters review to follow.
Lily
Jan 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
Parallel worlds, science-enthusiast characters (male and female) and a whole load of mystery. This was a very promising start to this new series! Apart of my arachnophobia having a couple of issues with Violet (although less squirmy moments than I'd expected).

I really liked Tess as a character, but I did feel that she didn't do that much for most of the book. The book was more focused on the way she studied the Starspinner from a science perspective, but I prefer a much more action packed adven
Amy Rush Da Silva
Jan 27, 2019 rated it liked it
A magical MG read. I fell in love with Tess and her pet spider Violet straight away. I also loved how real life historical moments were woven in. I did find the plot took a while to get going mind you.

Full review HERE.

Vincent Ripley
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Book Review here: http://www.mrripleysenchantedbooks.co... Check it out!
Danni Jervis
Feb 08, 2019
Margaret Pemberton
Dec 31, 2018
Seawood
Jan 25, 2019
Rachel
Jan 29, 2019 rated it liked it
This book begins with an intriguing, fast paced scene that alludes to other worldly magic and terrible baddies. The plot meanders a little after that, getting back into the action after a few slightly slower chapters.

I loved the fact that Tess is a scientist! the scenes with her working in her lab are great, and her excitement of being able to continue her experiments.

All in all, it will definitely appeal to the age group its written for.
Annarella
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very good and enthralling book that keeps you hooked till the last page.
I loved everything in this book: the characters, Tess and her tarantula above all, the engaging plot and the world building.
The plot was great and never bores you, a wonderful reading experience.
There's an echo of other great book but this could become one of those books.
Highly recommended!
Liam
Nov 26, 2018
Shannon Byrne
Jan 22, 2019
Sinéad O'Hart was born on a long-ago Monday in one of the many corners of Ireland. She grew up - not very far up, to be honest - with one brother and two parents, in a small house full of books. She always wanted to be an author, but somehow managed to wander through a variety of careers (including butcher, bookseller, and university lecturer, among others) before finally getting around to what sh ...more