Start by marking “Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)” as Want to Read:
Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)

Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)

Look around your office. Turn on the TV. Incompetent leadership is everywhere, and there's no denying that most of these leaders are men.

In this timely and provocative book, Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic asks two powerful questions: Why is it so easy for incompetent men to become leaders? And why is it so hard for competent people—especially competent women—to advance?
Published March 12th 2019 by Harvard Business Review Press

To ask other readers questions about Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?

Start your review of Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?: (And How to Fix It)
Toyin A
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic has asked a pertinent question and provided insight on how to fix the issue of incompetent people becoming leaders.

Although it focuses on why incompetent men become leaders, he identifies behaviours, traits and characteristics incompetent leaders have that many organisations can spot.

These behaviours are seemingly masculine and Tomas investigates why.

He also discusses how to pioneer competent leadership and encourage more females to ste
L A
Dec 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
Thanks to Harvard Business Review Press and Netgalley for the advance review copy.

Once I read the title of this book, I knew I had to read it. Yes, it’s a little clickbait-y but it’s certain to grab attention and get people talking. In my current role my team and I work to develop leadership skills in our organisation, and we’re often left scratching our heads as to what these should be, how we can develop them and what the barriers to leadership are, particularly for women.

This book is quite
Diana Dávalos
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Even tough the title may be controversial, this book really talks about the real personality traits a good / competent leader should have independently of gender, ethnicity, etc.
Val
Nov 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
All the male leaders who really should read this book probably won’t. But I now have more sophisticated ways of silently judging them.
Jill
Jul 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-read
Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? I was apprehensive going into this book, thinking the title was just to get people to pick it up, plus it was written by a man which made me even more skeptical. But I was pleasantly surprised; Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic did a great job of explaining leadership, what makes a good leader, how people become leaders, etc. This book has a lot of research behind it and lots of studies to defend the positions given.

I liked that it started with a discussion
James La Vela
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Read this book.
Sam
Apr 01, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed the first part of this book that outlined how many male leaders exhibit problematic qualities that detract from their leadership abilities. I’ve experienced this all too many times so it really resonated. However, I felt the second part of the book lacked any viable solution and all the suggestions seemed pretty off- the author even seems to suggest that more data mined from our online platforms could solve the problem. He even suggests that if one listens to aggressive music on Spotif ...more
Mayra Morales
Aug 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a very good book about leadership and the bias of perception between men and women in leadership roles. As the author mentions through the chapters, incredibly, women have the same bias as men have about the women performance, tough but true, and revealing.
Deepak
Mar 24, 2019 rated it liked it
While the title seems a little misleading, the crux of the book is that the way leaders are selected / evaluated is incorrect ( maybe it was ok a few decades back ) but now it has to change with the times...EQ is the most important factor and basis the factors important for leadership selection / evaluation, Women are naturally better suited than men...the good point about the book was the fact that the author is able to table the points from both sides and intact even argues against the current ...more
Elizabeth
Mar 25, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s unfortunate but not surprising that Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic’s ‘Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders?’ rings true for me. We need to look no further than the White House and the Supreme Court for examples of incompetent and/or unqualified men reaching the highest levels of leadership. The book does a good job of exposing some of the dynamics at play in the workplace today (but I do wish Chamorro-Premuzic would provide more ideas around ways to weed-out incompetent men before they ac ...more
Greg
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My main take away fro this book is the idea that organizations should look for the best characteristics of leadership rather than just increasing the number of women in leadership positions. By doing this we can avoid incompetent leaders from both gender not just from men.

This book is easy to read and full of insights in leadership. The title of the book is catchy while the content live up to it. Personally, I find the witty approach of the author amusing.
Julia
Feb 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.

On first glance, this book may appear to be anti-male or disparaging. That is not at all the case. This book instead, is enlightening about what is required for leadership and why we have so often put those who are unqualified there - particularly men.

The study, stats as well as practical advice for better leadership hiring and practices make this a great read. I recommend to anyone who is involved in the leadership wor
june3
Oct 31, 2019 rated it it was ok
This is another leadership-management book that started off really well but didn't have enough oomph to go the distance. The author is a leadership psychologist and he has clearly spent considerable time pondering the issue of leadership, primarily with an eye toward the US business community.

Chamorro-Premuzic’s essential premise is that many men are revered and rewarded for extraordinary displays of bravado that have no relationship whatsoever to their degree of professional competence or lead
Rafi
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A quick but challenging read. Good food for introspective thought. Gender disparity in leadership selection is a theme, but at its heart this book is about good leadership and the need to hold all leaders to a higher standard. I’d recommend it for any leaders, aspiring leaders, or anyone tasked with evaluating leadership potential.

A good summary from the concluding chapter:

“While it is certainly a sign of progress that a growing number of organizations are putting in place deliberat
Kate Schiffman
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In Why Do So Many Incompetent Men Become Leaders? By Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic, a follow up to a Harvard Business Review article by the same name explores the idea of gender and leadership. Many men becoming leaders because of traits that do not always lead to the success of the organization. Chamorro-Premuzic explores why we focus on the wrong personality traits when choosing leaders, and what decision makers might do to find better leaders of all genders in the future.

Read the rest o
Amanda
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book generated from an HBR article and I think it would have been fine to stay that way. I had a few revelations within the first four chapters and after that it felt like all other leadership books I've read recently. The main point: instead of telling women to "lean in" or "act like men" we should change our standard of leadership. Save yourself. https://hbr.org/2013/08/why-do-so-man...

I'm feeling cynical today so I'll stop there.
Vero Antillano
May 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not to be fooled by the title, it is not entirely a feminist or gender-biased book, it simply questions the methods organizations have set today for finding, engaging, and promoting talent in the workplace and how it is not always aligned with an organization's best interest, how it can be fooled by astute incompetent individuals.
Kayleigh
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am lucky enough to know some truly wonderful male leaders, however as this book details - there are a great many incompetent male leaders out there in boardrooms and businesses worldwide and unless we make changes in the way we identify, develop and manage our leaders, this won’t change. This book is fascinating and well-constructed, with messages that I think we all need to hear.
Genevieve
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting concepts; I liked that it highlighted the flawed ways in which we identify and choose leaders. However, it did feel a bit repetitive and simplistic at times, and could not really offer a lot of concrete solutions.
Ric Hayman
Apr 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Makes the excellent point that if we ignore what we think makes a great leader (narcissism, confidence, etc.) and use the data about what really makes a great leader (read the book!), then more women will make it into leadership positions …
Kerri
Nov 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biz, anthro
Solid research, new perspective on why we need more women leaders. Short easy read.
Maryanne
May 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very clickbait title, really great book.

This is one of the few management books I’ve read where I actually read very page rather than the first paragraph of a section and skimmed the rest.
Thierry
Sep 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Good read, good approach, interesting takeaways, poor conclusion.
Paige
Sep 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The title is a bit click baiting in my opinion but the book is really fascinating. The author covers the cultural differences between men vs women and how they differ as leaders.
Leslie
Oct 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
3.5 stars.
Kajoli Tankha
Aug 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Title is provocative. Book is an excellent analysis of how confidence gets confused with competence and the qualities that really should be associated with leadership
Coral Rose
May 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
If you are a leader, you should read this.
If you've ever counselled a woman to "lean in" or "be direct" or "be a more vocal presence" you should read this.
If you want to rethink talent and leadership, read this!
Simon James Vobes
rated it it was ok
Sep 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• Nine Lies About Work: A Freethinking Leader’s Guide to the Real World
  • The Surprising Science of Meetings: How You Can Lead Your Team to Peak Performance
  • Range: Why Generalists Triumph in a Specialized World
  • The Intelligence Trap: Why Smart People Make Dumb Mistakes
  • An Economist Walks Into a Brothel: And Other Unexpected Places to Understand Risk
  • The Making of a Manager: What to Do When Everyone Looks to You
  • Blue Ocean Shift: Beyond Competing - Proven Steps to Inspire Confidence and Seize New Growth
  • Rebel Talent: Why It Pays to Break the Rules at Work and in Life
  • Loonshots: How to Nurture the Crazy Ideas That Win Wars, Cure Diseases, and Transform Industries
  • The Man Who Sold America: Trump and the Unraveling of the American Story
  • The Prosperity Paradox: How Innovation Can Lift Nations Out of Poverty
  • Reinventing Organizations: A Guide to Creating Organizations Inspired by the Next Stage of Human Consciousness
  • Reboot: Leadership and the Art of Growing Up
  • Good to Go: What the Athlete in All of Us Can Learn from the Strange Science of Recovery
  • How to Be Successful without Hurting Men's Feelings: Non-threatening Leadership Strategies for Women
  • Sex Power Money
  • The Age of Surveillance Capitalism: The Fight for a Human Future at the New Frontier of Power
Dr. Tomas Chamorro-Premuzic is an international authority in psychological profiling, talent management, and people analytics. He is the CEO of Hogan Assessment Systems, Professor of Business Psychology at University College London (UCL), and visiting Professor at Columbia University. He has previously taught at New York University and the London School of Economics.

He has published 8 books and o
“differences in behavior arise not because of differences in how men and women are, but in how men and women are treated. This is what the evidence shows: women are less likely to get useful feedback, their mistakes are judged more harshly and remembered longer, their behavior is scrutinized more carefully, and their colleagues are less likely to share vital information with them. When women speak, they’re more likely to be interrupted or ignored.” 1 likes
“If you have ever worked in an office, then you have probably experienced a particular form of bad management displayed by bosses who seem unaware of their limitations and are clearly and unjustifiably pleased with themselves. They are overconfident, abrasive, and very much in awe of themselves, particularly in light of their actual talents. They are their own biggest fans by some distance.” 0 likes