Start by marking “Nights of Rain and Stars” as Want to Read:
Nights of Rain and Stars

Nights of Rain and Stars

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  15,923 ratings  ·  1,163 reviews
In a Greek taverna, high over the small village of Aghia Anna, four people meet for the first time: Fiona, an Irish nurse, Thomas, a Californian academic; Elsa, a German television presenter; and David a shy English boy. Along with Andreas, the old man who runs the taverna, they become close to each other after witnessing a tragedy when a pleasure steamer catches fire in t ...more
Published 2005 by Orion Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Nights of Rain and Stars, please sign up.
katinameow There are so many island villages called Agia Anna... I always assumed that it was a fictional village... Kind of an "insert generic island name here"…moreThere are so many island villages called Agia Anna... I always assumed that it was a fictional village... Kind of an "insert generic island name here" situation.(less)

·  15,923 ratings  ·  1,163 reviews

Suzanne
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is must be the only Maeve book I've left off my shelf! I can't bear the thought that'd Id allowed one to slip through! As my memory is pretty (very) scratchy, I don't remember in vivid colour, but I know that I loved it, every single bit. Have also added it as 'Want to read again'. As with most of Maeve's books (look at me writing her name like we are old friends!), they are just so reliable, entertaining and down to earth. Now what's not to love about this lady's work?!

Re-read in August 20
Kristen
Feb 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013
The point to Maeve Binchy novels is not to wonder what will happen to the characters. You can pretty much assume a happy ending, and that is why Binchy is the comfort food of the reading world. Her writing is simple and sweet. The stories are not meant to be suspenseful or to leave you guessing. I'm surprised by the one-star reviews of this book which seem to be evaluating this novel by some other standard than what is ordinarily used for Binchy novels: does it make you feel good? Is it easy to ...more
Isis
Mar 03, 2009 rated it did not like it
Contrived Plot is contrived. Anyone who can't figure out exactly what will happen with whom by the second chapter deserves to read to the end.
Paula
Apr 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Haven't read Binchey in a long time but found this book on my shelf and almost passed it over. I am hesitant to read hard-covered books and this one was given to me by my mom with a, "Sorry, I know you don't like hard-covered books but it sounded like a book you would enjoy reading."
Well, I DID like it! Easy read; absorbing characters whose lives, true to Binchey's trademark, intersect - this time on the Greek Isle of Ahnia Anna. I only predicted one of the four characters' endings but the rest,
Julz
Apr 13, 2007 rated it did not like it
This is the last Binchy book I will ever buy. She has a new one out now, and I won't go there.

Her earlier works, until Tara Road, which was the "beginning of the end," in my opinion, are among my favorite re-readable books.

She's one of those authors who should have stuck to writing what she knows (post-WWII life in small Irish villages) rather than trying to be hip (yuppies, cappuchino machines, groups of middle-aged tourists, etc.) Her newer books, in the opinion of one of my friends, seem ghos
Sara
May 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: like-it
Maria Elmvang
One of Maeve Binchy's strengths is characterizations, and this one is no exception. There's no plot to speak of, but you really get to know the main characters for better or worse. It's a good comfort read and in general a charming book.
Stephanie Holcomb
One-dimensional, wooden characters just hurt this potentially lovely story of 4 strangers meeting on a remote Greek Island. Sadly, the characters are so similar it hurts, most of them good (with the occasional bad character thrown in). People who are good have faults, and bad people have redeeming qualities--but no one has told Ms. Binchy this. At times in conversation, my mind would wander and I would be lost at who was talking, it almost seemed like a conversation one person was having with th ...more
Alison
Jul 26, 2009 rated it liked it
I actually want to give this book two stars, but the characters were so sweet and nice that I don't want to hurt their feelings. Yes, I did just write that. Yes, I do worry about characters' feelings.

I'm not a Maeve Binchy devotee, but I do like her books - I thought "Circle of Friends" was fantastic, and I've thought the few other books of hers I've read (although their titles don't jump out at me) were 3-4 star average. Good, solid reads. Enough that I expected this one would be, too, plus it
aPriL does feral sometimes
Serious reasons drive four strangers to become friends. They all share one thing from the start - they are tourists on a journey of exploration. Each booked a trip to a Greek island from four quarters of the earth for six weeks. When hiking about, looking for the next sight to see, a boat catches on fire in the harbor below their hill, and in their shared consternation, they begin introducing themselves while taking a seat at a nearby restaurant table.

Fiona, an Irish nurse, is in love with her c
Alice-Elizabeth (marriedtobooks)
3.5 out of 5 stars!

Nights of Rain and Stars was a nice read, it follows the story of four different people who all come to be into contact with each other on a Greek island. I picked this book up at my local College library where I am a student at a while ago. The characters themselves (David, Fiona, Elsa and Thomas) all had their own various issues and were trying to find the solution to them. There's also the mystery of the Irish woman Vonni who came to live on the Island but you find out why
Book Concierge
Book on CD performed by Terry Donnelly

Five tourists, all from different countries, come together at a small Greek taverna on a hill overlooking the harbor, where they witness a tourist boat fire that results in several deaths. Drawn together by this tragedy they begin to share their lives with one another and with the kind residents of the village. In particular they meet Vonni, an Irish woman who married a Greek man some decades previously and has made her life on the island, Andreas, who runs
Beth
I was in a mood to read about Greece, longing to remember the days and nights I spent on a Greek island, so in that sense, this book was just what the doctor ordered. I loved reading about the scenery, traditions, and culture of a small village on a Greek island. So idyllic and charming :) The setting is really what I liked the most about this book. If it wasn't set on a Greek island, I don't think I would've even given it much thought in the first place.

Overall, it's a pretty simplistic story
Patricia Elizabeth
There really is no way to go wrong with a Maeve Binchy book. It isn't terribly complicated or mind-blowing but there's a comfort and ease about her writing that always draws me in. Sometimes it's nice to settle into a book or an author that you know well. It's like visiting with a friend you've not seen in years - you don't need any big moments to happen to enjoy the moment. That's this book and her writing for me.
Beth
Aug 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: listened
I truly enjoy Binchy's writing style and her characters. I find myself engrossed in their lives and really enjoying it. This was a nice escape to Greece and to witness how four very separate and different lives became intertwined and straightened out.
SaraKim
Sep 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Time for a "re-listen," I think.
Melissa Lee
In this novel a group of very different people find themselves at a Greek taverna as a tragedy unfolds in the bay below them. This catastrophe makes them contemplate their own lives and the decisions that led them to the village.

After hearing my Mom rave about Maeve Binchy’s Nights of Rain and Stars, I bumped it up on my reading list. I’m glad that I did because it allowed us to discuss it when it was fresh in her mind. I ended up enjoying this story much more than I anticipated.

The cast of char
Nicole Dunlap
Apr 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. Thought I'd lose my way with all the characters but it flowed well. Only issue was some of the sentences seemed repetitive. Other than that, it was a cultural explosion. Love. Heart wrenching sadness. Nights or Rain and Stars has it all.
Jannelies
May 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
On a rainy day, when things are not going well: read a Maeve Binchy book and the sun will come out!
Ellen
Sep 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised by this. It's just a nice, character driven story of strangers all running away from something have a chance meeting in a small Greek town. While there, with help from each other and some of the locals, they each learn to face what they were running from. Recommended for those who care more for characters than story.

Content Warning: a few instances of language and a non graphic sex scene.

2018 challenge: a book with a weather element in the title
Obsidian
Please note that I gave this book 2.5 stars but rounded it to 3 stars on Goodreads.

WHY??????

Seriously. I ended up buying this on vacation because I got a kick out of it taking place in Greece. And what would not go better than reading a Maeve Binchy book in Greece while I was in Greece?

I should have none better.

We have classic Binchy following multiple people who reassess their own lives after coming to Greece and seeing the effect a fatal boat accident has on a small Greek town (Aghia Anna).

We
K
Apr 27, 2008 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chicklit
I liked many of Maeve Binchy's books, but I think at this point she's just coasting on her reputation. This story was contrived and read almost like a young adult novel, with a bunch of random tourists suddenly bonding and becoming best friends after witnessing a boating accident that didn't involve any of them or anyone they knew. The characters were flat and the relationships highly simplistic, especially the girl with the abusive boyfriend who's somehow devoted to him despite his having not a ...more
Donna
Feb 08, 2010 rated it liked it
After reading The Glass Lake many years ago I have steared clear of Maeve Binchy. However, my neighbor loaned me this one and thought it was good, so I gave it a try. What a difference!!

This was a pleasant book about four individuals who meet in the small Greek Village Aghia Anna and are drawn together one day due to a tragedy in the harbor. They spend the day and evening in a taverna with its owner Andreas. The book isn't plot-driven, but draws you into the characters' lives, and the life of th
Bronwyn Rykiert
Mar 17, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, friends
This story is set on a Greek Island called Aghia (ayea) Anna and is about a group of people made up of Fiona from Dublin, Elsa from Germany, Thomas from America & David from England. They have all come to this island as part of a journey where they are running away from things at home.

Fiona has come away with her boyfriend Shane because no-one understands her love for him, on reading it you will understand why. Elsa is running from her boyfriend, Thomas is having trouble accepting that his s
Cheryl
Oct 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
I've read this book in a matter of four days and it's not just because I have plenty of spare time to do that but even if I was as busy as a bee, I still wouldn't take my hands off of this novel. I've read Binchy novels before and lurking through the first few pages of this epic book, I was thinking, "This is what I'm talking about." That Binchy is really an awesome author. Her novels just make you feel like going home though you're actually miles away from Athens, Dublin, Manchester or whereeve ...more
Jan 06, 2010 rated it liked it
I'd call this a good "beach read" It isn't too complex and it moves quickly. It tells the story of several individuals who have left their lives for a getaway to Greece. They happen to be at the same cafe where they witness a local tragic accident then go through the aftermath and grieving with the town. Each person has his or her own story/past from which they've escaped. Along with some 'locals' they help one another find what they need to go home and proceed with their lives. I'd never read M ...more
Kendra
Sep 11, 2011 rated it did not like it
I've always been a big Maeve Binchy fan and some of her books rank among my all-time favorites. But, several years ago Binchy talked about retiring...and she should have. The novel released right before this one, Quentins, was bad...I thought, as bad as it could get. But, I was wrong because this book is even worse! *sigh* I am very disappointed that the writing style of an all-time favorite has changed so drastically. I definitely will not run out immediately to buy her books as soon as they ar ...more
Me
Apr 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this on audio and the way that the narrator handled the various accents: Greek, American, English, Irish was wonderful. The plot surrounds a group of tourists who witness a fire and subsequent tragic deaths of several of the townspeople in the Greek village of Aghia Anna. Each character experiences growth by the end of the story and the end result is a pleasant plot which deserves a sequel.
Kris
Mar 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Maeve Binchy knows how to write...about people, love and losses, and she definitely knows how to paint a picture. She has never written a book that took place somewhere I haven't wanted to go to, just because of the way she lets you, the reader, view it. This book was set on a small Greek Isle instead of Ireland, where most of her stories take place. A very refreshing, easy to read, and feel-good book.
Cecly Ann
Nov 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this novel

This must be one of the best one of Maeve Binchy's novels. I loved the way the plot rolls out and the characters. This reminds me of a novel by another one of my favorite novelist. The ensemble cast is brilliant and their individual story plots intersect at interesting spots. Engaging, enjoyable read.

• Paradise House
  • Village Matters (Tales from Turnham Malpas #3)
  • Under Gemini
  • Second Honeymoon
  • Ladies' Night at  Finbar's Hotel
  • An Irish Country Courtship (Irish Country #5)
  • The Secrets We Keep
  • Anyone but Him
  • A Summer in the Country
  • Best of Friends
  • The Tea House on Mulberry Street
  • Whistledown Woman: An evocative saga of family, devotion and secrets
  • The Matchmaker of Kenmare (A Novel of Ireland, #2)
Maeve Binchy was born on 28 May 1940 in Dalkey, County Dublin, Ireland, the eldest child of four. Her parents were very positive and provided her with a happy childhood. Although she described herself as an overweight child, her parents' attitude gave her the confidence to accept herself for who she was.

She studied at University College Dublin and was a teacher for a while. She also loved travelin
“do you know the land where the lemon-trees blossom;where the golden oranges glow in the dark foliage''.” 3 likes
“Kennst du das Land, wo die Zitronen blühn, Im dunklen Laub die Goldorangen glühn.” 0 likes