Start by marking “The Krewe (Herbert and Melancon #1)” as Want to Read:
The Krewe (Herbert and Melancon #1)

The Krewe

(Herbert and Melancon #1)

His brother has thrown himself under the eight o’clock freight train, or so he’s been told.

Felix is heartbroken, mystified, and above all else: deeply suspicious. His gut screams foul play.

The black sheep of a wealthy, respected family in New Orleans, Felix knows his gut is untested, naïve, addled by drugs and self-doubt. Who will believe him? Should he even trust hims
Published September 16th 2018

To ask other readers questions about The Krewe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Krewe

Jeffrey Keeten
”When you run over a human being with a train, there isn’t so much as a bump for those people riding or conducting inside the cars themselves. People are just too soft, and trains too hard and inestimably heavy. It might as well be mud under the flanged steel.”

When Felix Herbert, the frequently stoned underachiever, finds out his older brother Robert, the always overachieving doctor, has committed suicide, he doesn’t believe it for even one millisecond. When he discovers that his brother was wea
Lisa Moo
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great thriller/mystery! I finished it all in one sitting because I had to know what happened next. The writing is fantastic and the amount of suspense was perfect. The characters are well developed, especially in the beginning. Pevey really lets you get to know the main character, Felix, who despite some flaws, you can't help but empathize and cheer for. It's great watching him as he grows and develops throughout the book. Overall, a great way to spend your Sunday afternoon!!
Bonnye Reed
Mar 30, 2019 marked it as to-read
TheFussyLibrarian
David
Dec 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Pevey's prose has real substance to it. His characterisation manages to provide both verisimilitude and dynamism, never verging on the clichés that often beset this genre. Meanwhile, the plot is pacy and offers enough twists to satisfy even the most voraciouus of readers. Although the limited proofreading can be jarring at times and suggests a rushed publication, this is an impressive debut novel.
B.E.
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Now, that was freakin' awesome. Whew. I'd been despairing of a good new-to-me author to read and I stumbled across this on one of the FB groups I follow. So glad I took the chance. Seriously good writing. Great plot. Awesome twists and turns. I loved the characters. And the setting. I can't wait to see what's next in store for Herbert and Melancon. Fingers crossed the next book will be out soon.
Nkats
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book not to be flushed! Exciting plot, interesting characters, and setting. I read this book in one sitting because I really wanted to find out who the killer was. The book is very descriptive and pulls you into the narrative. I will definitely be purchasing the second book in this series. I hope there are more to follow!
Cindy
Apr 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thrilling Ride

Starts at the gate and runs hard to the end. Unexpectedly engaging plot and sympathetic characters. I’ve got a new author to follow. Highly recommend this if you need a good read.
Michael A. Zaffiri
Nov 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Worth Reading

The book had little it of a slow read in the beginning but definitely worth finishing. Unusual story line and good characters. I am glad I finished it.
Vicki Gilbertson
May 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Totally enjoyed the history, mystery and backstabbing crimes. New Orleans is a wild place and you nailed it. Powerful teamwork and the payback was perfect. Ready for more, just ordered the next in the series.
Patricia McKinney
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to reading more about the characters.
Michelle Willms
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Rough around the edges,but a good read

This book needs a bit of editing for punctuation, but has a strong story line, memorable characters, and kept me engaged from beginning to end. I look forward to reading the next mystery in this series.
Patricia Duhon
May 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. Stayed up late to finish it.

Can't wait to get into the next one. Will purchase it , as I idid this one, so I can keep it in my library. Love all the descriptions of NOLA as I lived there for a number of years and it really brought me back. Characters were spot on.

Plan to follow your new series and buy the books instead of using Kindle Unlimited so I can keep them in my library. One question however, I can' remember where Spanish Turn is. Seems I remember it being on the West Bank near
Claudette Bigby
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not my usual read

I read this book because I read a later Krew book & really enjoyed it. I was so happy to get book 1 in my library to find out how the already got started. Now I need book 2. I usually don’t read crime & cop novels liking paranormal stories. However, New Orleans and Mardi Gras interest me very much so I thought I would give it a whirl. Now I am hooked. You are a excellent story teller. Your characters are believable and sincere. I like the Way it is easy to get started on
Marcus
Apr 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carol Notine
Mar 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not Your Average Mystery

Interesting characters that I look forward to continue getting to know in future adventures. Great narrative and a nice plot with some unexpected twists. I found it an enjoyable gun read!
Marilyn Campbell
Apr 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting start for a new series

The book captures the swampy, sultry feel and decadence of New Orleans. The lack of focus on Melancon, the detective, was a little jarring at times, but the set up paid off.
Lisa Zenor
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun read.

Fun New Orleans read. Quick beach read. Looking forward to the next book in the series. Loved reading about New Orleans haunts!!
Anne Glouner
Apr 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Interesting characters

This was a very entertaining story. The characters were all believable. It was well written and kept your interest. Thank you!
Wpayne
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Krewe

Pretty good read once I got into it. Liked the old cop but wasn't too sure about Felix but he finally got his stuff together.
betty
Apr 30, 2019
Michael Whitson
Jul 28, 2019
« previous 1 3 next »

Herbert and Melancon (2 books)
  • Roots of Misfortune (Herbert and Melancon #2)