Start by marking “He Restores My Soul: Writings on Cross and Comfort” as Want to Read:
He Restores My Soul: Writings on Cross and Comfort

He Restores My Soul: Writings on Cross and Comfort

Suffering comes to everyone in this life, yet many are surprised to find it in the green pastures of the Good Shepherd. Disease and death invade this peaceful landscape, and hardship and heartache come even to "the sheep of His hand" (Psalm 95:7).

Why do pain and persecution flourish along the path of righteousness? How can sickness and sin reside beside the Lord's still wa
Published September 28th 2018 by Emmanuel Press

To ask other readers questions about He Restores My Soul, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about He Restores My Soul

Start your review of He Restores My Soul: Writings on Cross and Comfort
Rick Stuckwisch
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A collection of poignant real life stories from exemplary Christian women living by faith under the Cross of Christ. Beautifully written, and even more beautiful in the consistent confession of Christ. I can hardly recommend this marvelous book strongly enough, as it is a strong comfort and encouragement to all those who struggle to persevere in the midst of sin and death, hardship and adversity. The authors have not only endured within their own circumstances, by the grace of God, but have prov ...more
Katie
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a wonderful book, I was able to take my time and read each piece individually and think about. It wasn't always easy, sometimes the tears flowed freely, but each one was full of the beautiful promise of the Gospel and words of support for each other in our struggles. The section on raising kids with different needs was one that particularly touched me, my struggles are not those exact same ones but it was helpful just the same.

The only thing that was disappointing to me was that the topic o
Jane
This was very good. (And I think past reviews prove that I am capable of not being in love with the confessional Lutheran book-of-the-moment.) I felt that some of the chapters were stronger than others, but the whole package was excellent, and I know that I will be turning to this book again and again. I bought a couple for gifts, and will be buying more.
Jamie Lynn
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Struggles and suffering are part of life. Infertility, cancer, dementia, death, sickness, jobs, our sinful flesh and the list goes on. In "He Restores my Soul" twelve authors share their struggles and suffering but it's not without hope. They share their tragedies but there is always triumph through Jesus. They suffer and are yet rejoicing in the cross of Christ. This book is filled with encouragement for the daily Christian life but also hope and wisdom for those extra rough seasons of life. We ...more
Katie Schuermann
Dec 17, 2019 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
It has been an absolute privilege to read and discuss these chapters with my beautiful, thoughtful, compassionate, insightful pew sisters at Good Shepherd Lutheran Church in Sherman, Illinois.
Carey
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Where do I begin? I purchased this book a few months ago and just finished today. While others read through it like speed demons, I chose to cherish it essay by essay, as one would who doesn’t want to get to the end of a really good read - you know, the book that stays with you for days on end even as you close the back cover.

I feel like I would love for all of these women to be my personal friends. I cherish my friends who encourage, love, and even sometimes admonish with the love of Christ tha
Heidi
Oct 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I gobbled it up like a starving person at a buffet.

Everything about this book is beautiful. The cover is beautiful. The formatting, beautiful. The voices of the individual authors are beautiful. The hymnody is beautiful.

But the most arrestingly beautiful thing of all is the fullness of truth expressed throughout. The different authors individually have very different stories to tell, yet collectively it's all the same story - that of the Good Shepherd laying His life down for His sheep, feedin
Rebekah Theilen
Feb 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I’m convinced that one of the most powerful ways to love our women neighbors is to listen to their stories, and more specifically, their pains. Though I can point to no scientific study to back up my assertions, I believe a woman's pain has a unique need to be heard.

As seen, heard, and read in He Restores My Soul, each woman's story will be as different as the woman in the chapter beside her. Like other readers have already said, even though the details of the stories are different, somehow, as
Elisabeth
He Restores My Soul is the book equivalent of sitting down for a long heartfelt afternoon chat with 12 wonderful Christian friends over an endless pot of tea. Each chapter provides a different voice and perspective, yet the same consistent message: Christ is with us in our sufferings, and we do not bear our crosses alone. Thanks be to God for his grace and mercy! I especially appreciate the way each chapter fits so seamlessly into the phrases of Psalm 23. This is a well-placed invitation to savo ...more
Stephanie Neugebauer
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is by far my best read of 2018. I’ve literally devoured every book written by the editor, so I was hoping this book she co-authored would be no different. It was the most comforting, most practical, most authentic, and most applicable book I’ve ever read.
Sheryl Eby
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My soul is restored daily as I rely on the Word of God and His blessings which help me to cope with life struggles in this world of sin. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book and appreciate the love it took to share these life stories with me. It is difficult to share one’s inner struggles even when we cling to Christ’s robes looking for crumbs of forgiveness and peace that only He can give. A very good book that I will be sharing with my friends, family, and church.
Kimmy
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a cup brimming over of Christ’s love and mercy. I actually felt my body physically relax and de-stress as I read. It was so beautiful to see the way these faithful women talk about their sufferings and then point us back to Christ, where the only true comfort lies.

This book reminded me that I am not alone. Others are going through the same struggles that each of us do every day. Or perhaps even greater trials! We are all suffering together as the body of Christ.

Becky
Oct 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rev. Dr. D. Richard Stuckwisch, in his pastoral response included at the end of the book, said best what I thought throughout each chapter: "The stories told in this book are poignant examples of the hurts and fears, the sins and griefs and sorrows that confront the children of Adam and Eve. They resonate because they are so painfully familiar, whether cutting close to our own homes and families or echoing the lives and losses of our friends."
With each chapter I thought "this one is my favorite
Becky F.
Apr 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved reading and being encouraged by these sisters in Christ's stories. They have given us a wonderful witness of how the Christian life is one of suffering, struggle, and clinging to the cross of Jesus Christ. The only one I didn't like, and that didn't resonate with me, was the chapter that was clearly not a personal story but a fictionalized one. When the women shared from the heart of their own lives this book shone.
Janet Nicol
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, Katie Schuermann has done it again, folks! This book is well worth your time and money. Mrs. Schuermann has compiled a set of essays about life as a Christian, in particular Christian women; in particular, Christian women who face problems and sufferings from just about every angle you can imagine; which means it is relevant to us all, even if you are not a woman. Because let’s be honest, if you are not a woman, you are perhaps married to one, you were definitely born from one, and you ma ...more
Sara
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book and took my time reading it rather than devouring it quickly, because I did feel restored each time I read it.
This book is not just a collection of heartwarming stories, but it contains stories of Christian women sharing both their struggles and how they made it through them by relying on the Lord. They show that real Christians do have real struggles, and how we have to fight against not only the unbelieving world, or even well-meaning believers who say exactly the wrong thing
Molly
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Thank you to each of these beautiful women for sharing such painfully raw truths about their own burdens and struggles. You’ve contributed such an important piece of literature to a world starving for answers to questions like “Why me?”, “What now?”, “Where do I go?” and the like.

I loved the scriptural insights and REAL comfort found in the various chapters, and especially the poignant hymn texts shared. We are taught to return to the Lord, who is gracious and merciful, over and over and over a
Hannah Fleming
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
From start to finish, I loved this book. Though I wasn't able to personally relate to the unique struggles of each author, I found each chapter comforting for the struggles I face as each chapter was rich with the promises God offers to His people in Word and Sacrament. In addition to this, it also helped me to develop empathy for the suffering of others. It got me outside the echo chamber of my own mind and gave me a glimpse into the experiences of others. As I was reading the book, I found it ...more
Tyrel
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was given to my wife and me upon our son’s cancer diagnosis. It was a treasure to walk with the ladies who authored the chapters and remember what God’s Word has to say to real people during times of real suffering. This work goes right to the source of all comfort, Christ crucified and resurrected. As a pastor I appreciate the care taken to cite the numerous Bible passages from which these women drew their words—which shaped their thoughts as they set out to communicate their sufferin ...more
Nicole
Feb 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a wonderful gift and tool for addressing our struggles in a Scriptural way. Each chapter is written by a different woman and addresses a particular situation, which is comforting for those who also deal with these particular problems, but even if the reader doesn't experience the same challenges, the truth of God's word (and how we are reminded of those words in hymns!) still applies to each individual's unique situations.
Chani Reeder
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful, comforting book! I think it's geared mostly toward young to middle aged women, but has comfort available for any Christian in any circumstance. I read it through quickly this time, but I'm sure it'll be one I'll return to, to linger over again and again.
Chad Mistele
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great collection of stories from faithful women trusting in their Savior.
Sam Toombs
Jan 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is truly special. I could identify with the contributors, and the book does indeed provide comfort, as well as reminds us of the hope we have in Jesus. It is one of those books that I want to buy multiple copies of, place them in the hands of family and friends, and say, “ You HAVE to read this book!”
Kathie Winterstein
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book will only be appreciated by those who, like the contributors, have ever gone through or will experience any life difficulty in which hope, comfort, encouragement, and strength are needed. Though I have not yet personally experienced many of the specific situations in which the authors found themselves, their stories and their struggles resonated deeply with me. This is particularly true because of the honesty and vulnerability with which each of them writes. And ultimately each found s ...more
Dec 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is a wonderful encouragement. The 12 authors give you comfort and encouragement in Christ when facing difficult issues. I recommend reading this book slowly as it is very emotional, especially when the topics hit home.
Dakotah Gumm
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Such a comforting presentation of the Gospel in different real-life situations.
Alex
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a splendid book of encouragement and comfort under the cross. All the contributors have done an excellent job in shining the light of Christ into the various struggles and issues of life. Wow.
Faith
Oct 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down. Yet, I had to put the book down. The stories of these 12 women's lives were so engaging, profound, and thought-provoking that I had to set book down after each chapter to let it all soak in.

"He Restores My Soul," edited by Katie Schuermann, is a collection of 14 different snippets of sufferings from the eyes of Psalm 23. Many times when we hear Psalm 23 we think happy thoughts of the Good shepherd who comforts and protects us, his happy little sheep. However, we
Sheryl Tribble
May 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Most of this I liked very well, although I can't say I connected with all of the authors (because I'm weird, not because the authors failed). But the one essay that seemed entirely fictional irritated me. I'm not crazy about that sort of thing in general, and in the midst of so much heart-felt honesty and pain, it really struck an off note.

I also think I need to re-read this sometime more as a meditation aid, where I only read one piece at a time and really think it through before moving to the
Kati Gaschler
Nov 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Although each story speaks to someone on some level, I found that only a couple spoke to me on any level. I wanted more- more emotion and more rawness. Each ends with Christ’s love and forgiveness but I wanted to read more about the human turmoil each woman faced. Overall, good book- maybe just not for me.

• Soldier On (Hearts On Guard, #1)
  • Thank, Praise, Serve, and Obey: Recover the Joys of Piety
  • Purity is Possible: How to live free of the fantasy trap
  • Come in, We Are Closed
  • The Messengers: Revealed
  • Psalms 1-72
  • A Flame in the Dark: A Reformation Novel
  • Broken: Seven Christian Rules That Every Christian Ought to Break as Often as Possible
  • Conceal, Don't Feel
  • God's Own Child, I Gladly Say It
  • The World of the Wazzlewoods
  • Once Upon a Dream
  • Man Up!: The Quest for Masculinity
  • Ecclesial Poetry
  • Mere Motherhood: Morning times, nursery rhymes, and my journey toward sanctification
  • Natasha, Pierre & The Great Comet of 1812 : the journey of a new musical to Broadway
  • The Scottish Prisoner (Lord John Grey, #3)
  • Lord John and the Brotherhood of the Blade  (Lord John Grey, #2)
Earthy and lyrical, Katie Schuermann's voice is as refreshing and invigorating as the Midwestern sunshine in which she was raised. Writing in vignettes which so perfectly suit the charm of small-town life, Schuermann's words call to mind the warmth and realism of Montgomery's Avonlea.

When not writing, Schuermann can be found singing, gardening, cooking, holding babies, or trying to climb the neare

News & Interviews