Start by marking “Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!” as Want to Read:
Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!

Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!

Yo, ho, ho! It’s a mutiny against kindergarten!

Pirate Emma is about to start kindergarten! But Emma’s not so sure she’s ready for a new captain and crew. Especially since Cap’n Chu—the roughest, toughest, awesomest preschool cap’n ever—is right down the hall. So Emma decides to head back to the preschool ship to see if she can stir up a mutiny against kindergarten! Is that
Published August 1st 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!

Start your review of Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
David Schaafsma
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #9 (of more than 20) of 2019, and we thought it was just okay.

From Goodreads friend Rod Brown: “This is the third lackluster book from the publisher Two Lions that I have read in the last three days during my Goodreads Awards project. I've never heard of this publisher before, so I started wondering how they came out of nowhere to have not even three but SIX nominees in the opening round. A close look at
Rod Brown
Nov 09, 2019 rated it it was ok
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the opening round Best Picture Book nominees as possible. 6 to go!

AMAZON CONSPIRACY THEORY!!!!! THE FIX IS IN FOR THE GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS!!!!

Madeline
Jul 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens
Amazon First Read

Yo ho ho

It’s been awhile since me timbers were shivered.

I think I’ll go buy me a puffy shirt.

Excellent story and artwork.

Alex  Baugh
Aug 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Sometimes change can be hard, especially is you're just a kid transitioning from preschool to Kindergarten. Emma loved being a pirate in Cap'n Chu's preschool room last year. Now, summer is over and it's time to go back to school.

One the night before the first day of school, Emma carefully raids her sea chest for treasure map, spyglass, and cutlass. The next day, dressed in her pirate outfit, Emma hops off the school bus and heads right into Cap'n Chu preschool room, instead of boarding the
Bea
A cute, imaginative, if unlikely, story about a girl's reluctance to leave preschool for kindergarten and how her teachers old and new handle it.
F
Jul 13, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The final lesson is good... the means of getting there? Not so much. Bratty child being allowed to do what she wants is not a good thing. I doubt many schools would have the resources to allow this disruptive behaviour for as long as "they" did in the story. Child never really accepts authority of the teachers, she just accepts them on her terms. Many kids would reject them on the same basis and ruin the story.
Jane
Jul 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten! is a great book to help young children transition from preschool to kindergarten. It would be an excellent book for both preschool educators and kindergarten teachers to use to open discussions about kindergarten transition. After more years than I want to admit working with four-year-old preschoolers, this is a big step and transition and like all change it needs to be addressed and help given to the children. This delightful book is a great transition book and ...more
Juliana
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is adorable. It's about a girl named Emma who has a hard time adjusting from pre-school to kindergarten. You get to see Emma on her pirate adventure as well as the beginning of a space adventure. It's perfect for any little one starting school or transitioning to a new grade. It's a great bed time story that would be fun to read out loud.
Candice
Jul 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Such a cute swashbuckling story! I think my favorite part was how the classrooms were decorated so much in theme—how fun for the students! My son, who is starting kindergarten in the Fall, enjoyed it as well—his favorite part was Pirate Emma’s pirate ship bed. Now he wants one too ...more
Miss Sarah
An elementary and up picture book about a girl who doesn't want to move from her preschool classroom (a pirate ship) to the kindergarten classeroom (a rocket ship).
Sally
Jul 28, 2019 rated it liked it
This was a tough one for me to rate.
Pros:
1. I loved the idea of a girl pirate.
2. The pictures/illustrations were very well done.
3. The idea of change is hard for kids and it was nice to see that in a book.
Cons:
1. Emma sets a bad example with her behavior. We need books to set/show good examples for kids. This book does the exact opposite.
2. Most kids don't go to pre-school and kindergarten in the same building.
3. Kids wouldn't be allowed to bounce back and forth. Teachers wouldn't be able to
Jennisen
Jan 31, 2019 rated it really liked it
I was excited to pick up an advanced copy of this book at ALA Midwinter! My son is in kindergarten, and he loves the pretend play. I love that the teachers are so creative in their approach to the main character and that they work together.
MA
Jul 01, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2019
Girl pirates are the best
Stacie
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
It’s time for Pirate Emma to start kindergarten. She has her treasure map and spy glass and she is ready to set sail with her favorite captain, Cap’n Chu. Cap’n Chu is really Ms. Chu, her preschool teacher, and Emma isn’t willing to be in a classroom with any other teacher.

When she shows up to kindergarten and Cap’n Chu isn’t there or any other pirates, Emma decides kindergarten isn’t for her and goes back to preschool. Even though the space ship in kindergarten looks fun and they have a guinea
Thumbnail That
Aug 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
The new school year is here and this is such an adorable book for you and your kindergartener to share. Smaller kids can really struggle with leaving their Pre-K classroom and teacher. There is alot of change thrown at them pretty quickly and it can be a little overwhelming for them. This book is a great way to ease them into that transition and reminds them that change isn’t as scary as they think.

Kaban’s illustrations were rendered digitally. The detail in the illustrations caught my attention
Jacob
Jul 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
I got this for free from Kindle First Reads, and read it with my daughter, who enjoyed it! This is a fun story for kids about transitions, featuring the newly minted kindergartner Emma, who refuses to leave her old preschool teacher for her new classroom. Along the way, she learns that it's sometimes necessary to move on, but that the past will always be with us.

I understand that this is part of a series, but it's easy to jump in and understand what's going on even without having read the other
Christy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pirates Don’t Go to Kindergarten is one of the most adorable children’s book I’ve read in awhile! Emma is one of those kids that can’t sit still, but teachers can’t help but love them. She’s precocious and smart, and she doesn’t want to go to Kindergarten. Well, she does, but she wants her pre-school teacher to go to Kindergarten with her.

Needless to say, Emma is not thrilled when she is taken to the Kindergarten room where they’re not pirates but astronauts and exploring space. She’s especially
Melissa S
Sep 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaway-wins
I received a copy of this book from a giveaway here on goodreads. Thank you so much. It is a good sized hard back book with very nice illustrations. I used it in a social emotional lesson with a class of Kindergartners at my school where I am a school counselor. There was quite a bit of "pirate" terminology I had to stop and explain as I read. The premise is a girl is having a hard time leaving her PreK teacher and moving on to a new teacher. I like the message that relationships come with built ...more
Cynthia  Gutzwiller
Emma Gets Ready For school by taking her treasure map, spy glass and cutless. When she got there. She went to preschool to visit Captain Chu. She told her kindergarten was down the hall. Emma looked through her spy glass. Captain Chu led her to her new space ship and Captain Hayes. Daniela, One Of her class!ages and fellow astronauts, needed help feeding the guinea pig. Did she go help her? Did Emma learn to like the Space Ship?
This is a fun bedtime story for your young ones. They can dream of
Wendy Greenley
Jul 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebookfic
In a new twist on a familiar topic, a young "pirate" is leery of kindergarten. The pirate language is fun to read, and the gentle suggestions by the creative adults in the story let Emma take the helm of her decision (and I'm a sucker for guinea pig to bait the reluctant student). Colorful illustrations set the bar high for teachers decorating their own classrooms! I'm not familiar with a setup where preschool and kindergarten are in the same building, but that didn't spoil the story for me. ...more
Carolyn
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Adorable and fun!! Pirate Emma doesn't want to change grades. She's grown to love her Pre-School teacher and all the fun she had. Being a mom of four, I totally know how that is! There were some grades where I didn't want my kids to move on because we had some wonderful teachers. My soon to be kindergartner loved this book! Even though she didn't attend pre-school she can totally see how it's similar to how she feels about leaving me since we've been together every day since day 1! We read the ...more
Aeicha
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Pirate Emma is not so sure about kindergarten. Her new classroom is kind of neat, but just not the same without her awesome preschool teacher, Cap’n Chu. So what’s a pirate to do? Sail back to preschool, of course! Can Cap’n Chu and some of Emma’s new mateys help her come around to kindergarten?

Pirates Don’t Go To Kindergarten is a charming, laugh-out-loud picture book with a helpful message. Lisa Robinson’s clever use of pirate lingo, her pitch-perfect voice, and sweetly relatable story will
P.W.
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Emma has an issue... she's a pirate, and wants to stay with her pirate mates and Captain in pirate preschool. But now she has to go on the spaceship that is kindergarten. And she won't go willingly.

A cute story for little ones that are getting ready to move from one stage of their life to the next. Very bright, fun art throughout. Really enjoyable message that just because your circumstances are changing, it doesn't mean that you have to change who you are.
Ryan
Dec 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Ahhhh. I can see why this was nominated for the best book of the year on Goodreads. It is really cute and the author and illustrator did an amazing job. In this school there are various ships instead of classrooms and Emma wants to stay on her pirate ship, but she is to move up to the spaceship. The hardest thing to leave is her captain. But with the help of said captain, she will learn that pirates can exist in space too.
+16
#BBRC #FoundonGR
Susan
Jul 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice, bright illustrations

I liked the bright, detailed illustrations. I'm sure children will relate to having to start over and leave familiar teachers and classmates behind. Emma lives in a make-believe world where she is tough and in charge, but in reality she is insecure and afraid of change. She fights to maintain what was, but in the end realizes that something new and different can be ok, too.
Nicole
Aug 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
Another great book for children who are worried about school. This book is specifically for kids transitioning from Pre-K to Kinder. Pirate Emma is all about surfing the seas, but Kindergarten is not what she expected. She finds out that she has a new Captain and begins a mutiny against kindergarten. Pirate Emma eventually finds a way to like Kindergarten and the new Captain & crew of the "New ship", Kindergarten. Great illustrations!
Nadina
Nov 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an absolutely lovely story about leaving behind one class/teacher and moving to another. About growing up and change.
Main character Pirate Emma struggles to adjust to the change and leaving her preschool teacher. I love the efforts she goes to to leave her new class and remain in kindergarten.
The ending was also really cute. I definitely had feels at the end of this book and just wanted to hug it.
Great story and I'd absolutely recommend it.
Jenn Adams
Went into this already a little biased because of the great Amazon conspiracy theory of the 2019 Goodreads Choice awards... so this isn't a BAD book I guess, but I can't imagine it's really one of the cream of the crop for the entire year.

The underlying message about transitioning from preschool to kindergarten is well-intentioned, but the story as a whole dragged on and felt like a cheesily dressed up lesson.
Dragon
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was ok
Stacy Wempe
Aug 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A sweet book! Fun read for all! My 4 yo son declared this story a keeper.

It is sweet to have a story for kids to relate where we love what we know and it is comfortable. But we must also keep moving forward and maybe we will find future experiences can be just as fun. Transitioning from 1 classroom to the next can be scary for kids and this book does a nice job of showing there are more fun adventures ahead.

**I received this book as a gift from Amazon Publishing in a giveaway.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Tiger Like Me
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
  • What If Everybody Thought That?
  • Spiky
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • Just Because
  • Along the Tapajós
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel (It's Not a Fairy Tale, #2)
  • This Book Is Gray