Start by marking “What If Everybody Thought That?” as Want to Read:
What If Everybody Thought That?

What If Everybody Thought That?

(What If Everybody? #3)

What if everybody were more thoughtful before they judged someone?

If you see someone in a wheelchair, you might think he or she couldn’t compete in a race. But…you might be wrong. What if you see a child with no hair? Do you think she is embarrassed all the time? How about a kid who has a really hard time reading? Do you think that means he’s not smart? You might think so.
Published August 27th 2019 by Two Lions

To ask other readers questions about What If Everybody Thought That?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What If Everybody Thought That?

Start your review of What If Everybody Thought That?
David Schaafsma
Dec 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
My family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books every year. This is book #21 (of 21, so the last, I promise!) of 2019, and we had mixed reviews (in other words, some liked it, and I didn’t so much). What If Everybody Thought That? is part of a series by Ellen Javernik that makes the basic point that we should be tolerant of what other people think and say and do.

Lyra (12): 3. Totally sweet, nice moral telling everyone to try to find the best in people [see below whether you would
Rod Brown
Nov 07, 2019 rated it did not like it
Goodreads Choice Awards Project: Read as many of the opening round Best Picture Book nominees as possible. I previously read two, so 12 to go!

Best of intentions, worst execution. One page sets up a scenario in which people think nasty or closed-minded thoughts, usually involving a person with a disability or some other physical challenge, and the next page upends those snap judgements and poor expectations. Just that, over and over, with some scenarios seeming less likely than others, and some
CaseyTheCanadianLesbrarian
Jan 02, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids, picture-books
Boring, didactic, and honestly just seems to focus too much on the kids' judgmental thoughts and seemed to not give them enough credit? Idk, maybe I live in more multi-cultural society than the audience of this book, but kids never having heard of sushi and like very common Mexican food like refried beans and tacos and saying they sound gross seems totally unrealistic to me. Also, terrible offensive depiction of a fat kid as the red-faced slowest person in the race. Everyone will surprise you ...more
Teresa
Nov 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Goodreads Choice Awards Nominee 2019

This book is supposed to be about not judging people or things until you get to know them or try something. Also, you should not stereotype people because you don’t know what they are capable of. They are guilty of this themselves. In the entire book, there is only one overweight kid. They have her illustrated as being the last one to finish the race. She appears to be struggling and is all red faced. I’ve known many sporty overweight kids who could have won
Alice Ball
Aug 27, 2019 rated it it was ok
An important message that ends up feeling a bit forced.
Aolund
The message here is superficially good, but I found the format somewhat inaccessible and the message to lack substance when considered more deeply. Throughout the book various scenarios are presented where school children are depicted thinking mean, judgmental, or dismissive thoughts about a fellow classmate. For example, a child who is depicted as neurodivergent is shown spelling a word wrong on the board, and his classmates think thoughts such as "he shouldn't be in this class." On the next ...more
Clementine
i mean, it was very didactic, but it might work for some.
Stacia Leigh
Great message, but wished for a more fulfilling ending.
Shannon
Nov 07, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: childrens
This is one of those "message" books dressed up with cuteness. Kind of a good way to teach your kid that reading is not fun. Did I mention I hate "message" books? Not saying the message wasn’t good - and the art was lovely but meh.
Tara Schaafsma
Nov 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
A tolerance book. It was all right. A little cheesy.
Christy
Nov 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Last year, I shared the book What If Everybody Said That? with you. What If Everybody Thought That? is another book in this wonderful children’s book series that teaches children that kindness matters. And kindness doesn’t just matter in our words but in our thoughts too.

What we think matters because what we think is shown by how we act. If we think someone can’t be a basketball player because they’re shorter, we might not pick them for our team. If that were the case, Isaiah Thomas may never
Villain E
Jan 16, 2020 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
I agree with sentiment, but this is not good. The format is first a double-page illustration with some kids thinking negative thoughts about another child. The narration says "What if everybody thought that?" Flip the page and the child is doing something special and the text says "They might be wrong."

Like, the opening page is a group of kids doubting a short boy playing basketball. This is followed by him flying up to the basket.

First of all, I would have preferred something more realistic,
Lo
Dec 13, 2019 added it
I had high & unrealistic expectations based on the title. That sentiment that diversity of thought is crucial for our species' survival is one that I wish more adults understood, so teaching it to kids would be phenomenal!

This was more about not judging others, though, and how people can defy your expectations and surprise you. There was some good disability representation, which I appreciate, but overall it just wasn't very "fun," and I think it might be a bit hokey for real children. I'm
Kristi Bernard
Sometimes when people see things they don’t understand they may form a negative opinion. In this handy guide young readers will see the thoughts of characters when they see something they don’t understand. Young readers will also get to see what happens once these characters learn and embrace something new and different.

This book is perfect for introducing young kids to ways of life that may be different from their own and teach them how others navigate and exist in everyday life. Parents and
Gretchen
Oct 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: classroom-use
This is definitely a book to use for those social-emotional learning goals in school. It looks as how we can make judgments about people from their looks on the outside without ever giving them a chance or believing in them. The message at the end is the best and that is if we believed in the good and the potential in everyone to do everything, wouldn't that be the world that we'd like to live in. I know it would be for me and admittedly I still have a way to go.
Ryan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is terrific. It starts with an illustration and then kids thinking bad things about that illustration. Like a girl in a wheelchair: she cant run, she has to sit out, etc. Then it says “what if they are wrong” and the next illustrations show the more positive side of things. I’m explaning it bad, but if you read the book you get it. It’s a great and very important lesson done in a fun and easy to understand way.
+16 #wintergames #teamelectricsex #TBRread
Kay
Dec 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like the message but didn't love the script or the art. I'll have to check out What If Everybody Said That?, which reviewers wrote has the same message but read better.
(Picked up because it was a Goodreads Choice Awards nominee.)
Barbra
Sep 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book to open up conversations with young ones about first impressions, not being judgmental, and being respectful of others. Children don’t often understand why things are different. With bright illustrations and simple text readers will get a look at acceptance. A great book for parents to share and a must have for school libraries.
Xavier Edward
This book is okay.... i guess i feel it uses a bunch of examples and sometimes dose the examples mutable times it sorta feels empty heres nothing up to the ending & the lead up feels useless i like the drawing tho & also i feel some parts are hard to understand at least for me a food part seemed like green eggs and ham lol anyways thanks for reading my ted talk

Mrs.  Arvia
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate this book. This book will teach children just because something is different doesn't mean it's not good or great at something. We all have different challenges in life but that doesn't mean we can't be excellent at something if we put our mind to it. I enjoyed reading this book with the children in my neighborhood. We had a great conversation about different foods and physical abilities. I recommend this book for children. Great book.
Caroline
Nov 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: story-time
This is a very sweet book with an incredibly kind and uplifting message. I don't think I could make it work for story time, as much as I desperately want to, but I'll absolutely be using this for my staff recommendations!
Ellon
Sep 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a good book for emphasizing empathy and encouraging children to see people that are “different” in a positive light.
The book is a little preachy and some of the text blends into the background to the point that I almost missed some of it.
Elizabeth
Sep 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must read

I've read some of Ellen Javernick's books and this is by far my favourite. This book has a powerful message for people of all ages. I loved how it portrayed people of different abilities and disabilities.
CupcakeBlonde
I didn't really like this book simply for the fact it was hard to read to my daughter. The "hidden" text meanings were confusing and the book didn't flow very well. But the meaning of the overall book was great for kids!
Juliana Lee
Kids learn to accept each other for who they are despite real and perceived disabilities. Is the girl with a bald spot embarrassed? Can the kid in the wheelchair win the race? Can the boy who stutters sing in the school musical?
Vicki
Nov 10, 2019 rated it it was ok
Good intentions with this one, but the text was so disorganized and picture-dependent. This would make reading it aloud super difficult and require a lot of explaining, definitely taking away from the intended impact of its messages.
Bailey Held
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: diversity, inclusion, 1-5
This book is a great story to use in any grades to teach inclusion and that you can do anything you set your mind to.
Jen
Oct 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Basically a story about being careful not to judge a book by the cover! Fun, colorful illustrations.
Pam
Sep 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buy-for-bowen
This series continues to make readers think about their actions. This time it asks about thoughts and judgments made when we see others who may be different or have different abilities.
Rosemary Retford
Jan 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Great message. Like the illustrations

• Just Because
  • Unicorn Day
  • Vacation for Dexter! (Dexter T. Rexter, #3)
  • Rosie the Dragon and Charlie Make Waves
  • We Are (Not) Friends
  • A Piglet Named Mercy
  • A Tiger Like Me
  • How to Read a Book
  • It's Not Hansel and Gretel
  • The Proudest Blue
  • Pirates Don't Go to Kindergarten!
  • Hair Love
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story
  • Snow Globe Wishes
  • Sulwe
  • Because
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood: The Poetry of Mister Rogers
Ellen Javernick is the author of more than twenty books for children, including the Children's Choice Book Award finalist The Birthday Pet, illustrated by Kevin O'Malley. She has been an elementary school teacher for more than twenty years and currently teaches kindergarten. She lives in Loveland, Colorado.

What If Everybody? (3 books)
  • What If Everybody Did That?
  • What If Everybody Said That?