Start by marking “Once in a Lifetime” as Want to Read:

Once in a Lifetime

Millions adored Daphne Fields, for she shared their passion, their pain, their joy, and their sorrow. But America's most popular novelist remained a closed book to the world guarding her life with a fierce privacy no reporter could crack.

Her life hides a myriad of secrets. The husband and daughter she lost in a fire. The son who barely survived it and would be deaf
Published August 1st 1985 by Dell

To ask other readers questions about Once in a Lifetime, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Once in a Lifetime

Start your review of Once in a Lifetime
Eni
I decided not to rate this book.
The only reason why i decided to read this book is because my friend told me that the author writes good.
The author does write good,but this book just didn't do it for me.
I had so much expectations and tell you the truth i got a little dissapointed.
The story was good.I liked the plot,but still...

P.s:I thought the reason why this book is titled "Once in a Lifetime" because the character falls in love(true love) only once,not 4.
Kath
Oct 29, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every girl needs a Danielle Steele now and again and this didn't disappoint. All the expected ingredients were there to make a rich cream sponge of a novel.
Andrea
Apr 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the first Danielle Steel books and I think it will always be my favorite!
Evija
Very easy to read, but it's not that kind of book, than you will rememmber for a long time. Typical romance story, and with very predicable ending.
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Although I'm not a big fan of romance and/or Danielle Steel I will read them between other heavy reads to lighten it up a bit. This is one of her earlier books and I was actually pleasantly surprised that it wasn't super cheesy or too romance like. I found myself finishing this book in a day and was very shocked that I really really enjoyed her writing in this novel. I may continue to read a few of her older novels and see if they fair as well. The story was good and kept me wanting to know
Robin
Feb 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my favorite Danielle Steel books. :)
Mara
how many time can one person love?after a terrible accident, can you really give life a chance?a second one?
Rebecca
Mar 24, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-steel
Sad storyline
Teresa Cooper
Jan 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book a great deal
Julia
Dec 02, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh. I picked this up from a Little Free Library in my neighborhood during a time when I needed a quick distraction. This was my first Danielle Steel novel, and it was distractingly bad, so mission accomplished, I guess. I'm not just being snarky about bestselling authors; if this novel is representative of Steel's work, several dozen of them are worth one by Mary Higgins Clark, which used to be some of my favorite beach reads. The plot was a foregone conclusion, and the characters were one-note ...more
Prathibha S
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My last few reads were non-fiction,so I was eager to pick this book. It was a light read and was very engaging. I have always liked Danielle Steel's writing. This book was no exception.
Daphne Fields loses her husband and daughter in a fire. She finds solace in her son Andrew, who is born deaf. But, she feels lonely again when her son goes away to a special school. It's all about how she finds courage and strength to live on without Andrew, how she becomes a writer and how she finds love again.
Nan
Now that I know this book was actually published in 1982 (not the 1985 that my book says) things make more sense. This was not a time yet in which people with special needs had a lot of options. Still I've been lead to believe there were more options out there and there is and has been a community for quite sometime willing to help and teach.

Anyway, very interesting view on life and a mother's life-her choices once she has children to care for. The freedoms in this book are still very much a
Arun Khanna
Sep 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a must read for ardent Danielle Steele Book lovers. One of her earlier works . Truly outstanding . She has been able to space out the story really well. The brilliance of her writing comes out beautifully . Very well crafted like a gem. Thank you Danielle for your outstanding books. They change us for the better . Always . Wishing you a lot of love and happiness. Thanks for your love. Arun ...more
Adeline Kam
Aug 31, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first few chapters of the story is very interesting.....the loss of her husband & daughter in a fire, and later to give birth to a son that is deaf. In this story, I would like to be the Barbara character....I love her job. This story also shared on insights into the making of a film from a novel. Overall it is a nice and easy book to read, with a happy ending.
Shannon
Sep 02, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was hard for me to get into. It did not hold my interest for long periods of time but I do wish there was a second book. I would like to know what Daphne does after she gets out of the hospital. Do her and Matt get married?? Maybe another book based on Daphnes assistant so we can see what happens to Barbara.
Deepan Maitra
Feb 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
An excellent heart warming read. Its the kind of book you want to pick up on a Sunday afternoon, and slowly let yourself drown in the magic of the author's words. The emotions expressed in the book, so multi-layered, vivid and astonishingly real; they felt out of the world, yet so familiar and close to my heart.
Alexia Xuereb Diacono
I really liked the part about her son Andrew. He had a hearing impairment. Danielle Steele really succeeded to point out the difficulties such children and their parents had to face. At the same time she encourages not to give up and to seek the help we need to help these wonderful children to reach their full potential!
Joyce Weatherford
Once in a Lifetime

Love! Danielle Steel knows how to write about life and love better than any author Ive read. She develops her characters until you feel like you know each one.
Tiffany Manning
Jul 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Author Daphne Fields was struck by a car and her flashbacks she has of all the extreme heartache over the years she suffered.
Love the places this book took me to and the story behind it all. This is a great reminder for us in real life to always appreciate what we have each day.
Ann
Jun 22, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: danielle-steel
I knew mother phones that her baby son is deaf. Romance and wedding bells ring loud, when she meets a man that changes both of their lives. The lifetime movie for this book was pretty good.
Drishti Rao
Oct 09, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very slow paced book but a joy to read. I loved the way the struggles and heart breaks were portrayed by the author but my only concern is that it moved very slowly.
CHRIS HARRISON
May 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed

Reading this book. It's nice to read something uplifting every once in a while, with a very strong heroine as the main character..
Bhavna Alke
Apr 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I somehow cannot not give 5 stars to a Danielle Steel book :) She always makes misery seem beautiful.
Della
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good Story.
Marilyn Richey
Feb 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good read!

Is a good story of life. When you have to read in small increment of time to do not lose the story line!
Nadine
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very good book
Lisa E
Sep 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Pankhuri
Nov 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very well written as all of Danielle Steels novels. However, it's a little stretch in some parts.
Kalee
May 06, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
If you're looking for a page turner this probably won't do it for you. Like many mentioned, the title doesn't have much to do with the story itself. I enjoyed Daphne and Barbara's adventure to Hollywood immensely but the story overall isn't a favorite and there was a cheesy moment toward the end. The book itself that I own is a relic first edition I found at Goodwill so it's a keeper.
Rene Wait
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brought me to tears and laughter, a must read
« previous 1 3 next »
Danielle Steel Bo...: Once in a Lifetime 2 13 Apr 30, 2018 10:01AM

• A Sudden Change of Heart
  • Unexpected Blessings (Emma Harte Saga #5)
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more