Start by marking “The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #2)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #2)

The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out

(The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #2)

To live and draw in L.A.

Now living in Los Angeles with former navy SEAL Nick Reno, artist Perry Foster comes to the rescue of elderly and eccentric Horace Daly, the legendary film star of such horror classics as Why Won’t You Die, My Darling?

Horace owns the famous, but now run-down, Hollywood hotel Angels Rest, rumored to be haunted. But as far as Perry can tell, the
Published December 18th 2018 by JustJoshin Publishing, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out, please sign up.
Cassidy They've pushed it back about five times now. Honestly I'd rather have the date be unannounced than have it pushed back repeatedly when I've been count…moreThey've pushed it back about five times now. Honestly I'd rather have the date be unannounced than have it pushed back repeatedly when I've been counting down days. (less)

Start your review of The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #2)
Martin
Jan 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now this was cute!

I’m not always a fan of following an established couple through a mystery plot, since I read all this mainly for the romance, but this story had such an incredibly captivating sense of place with the mysterious Angel’s Rest hotel and its quirky inhabitants that I absolutely loved every second of it.

description

70 year old former horror movie star Horace Daly feels threatened. He lives with a few extraordinary tenants in a decrepit hotel and he is convinced that someone is out to kill him.
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks was one of the earliest Lanyon books I read, after Fair Game and the Adrien English series. I adored Perry and really liked Nick. The atmosphere of the old house full of crazies was perfectly written and eerily portrayed, and the mystery was engaging and just as zany as the people in the house. I've read that book at least three times and enjoyed it more each time.

However, it wasn't a book or a pairing that was crying out for a sequel. Even so, I was one of the ones (
Ami
This is one occasion where I actually took time to re-read the first book before jumping on the sequel. I usually don't do that because I'm not very much a re-read kind of girl. But I practically read the first book almost a decade ago, and I thought, well, I needed a "refreshing course" on Nick and Perry.

Now, I'm not sure whether THAT is a good thing to do now, after I finished. On one hand, I thought Lanyon was able to keep the same "tone" of the first book, which was impressive because, well,
Meep
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
I approached this warily, seeing no need for a sequel, but having loved the first book so much -it was my first Lanyon and a genre I enjoy- I wanted to read it. And, I still don't think the first book needed a sequel. This doesn't offer anything more.

The first 20% could have been condensed into one page. I was struggling, wanting the story to progress but instead being treated to Perry telling me what Nick must be thinking then Nick's concerns for Perry... it felt heavy handed, there's no relati
fleurette
Jan 13, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, mystery
The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out

Well, this was fast. It’s good to see Perry and Nick again but I would prefer to stay with them a bit longer. I really wished this book wasn’t so short.

I really appreciate that Nick and Perry work together unbothered by some unnecessary drama in their relationship. I hate it when the couple squabbles through all the book or split up over some minor issue. Luckily, this is not a case of Perry and Nick and I’m glad about it.

The book, but really it’s more like a longer novella, focuses on the susp
Natasha

Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m-romance, mystery
Mymymble
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perry and Nick are the best. A fascinating whodunit. I'll probably write a longer review at a later date.
MishyJo
Dec 25, 2018 rated it liked it
Oh Perry! You are still one of my all time favorites MCs.

So this was way more mystery than romance which is not unusual for Lanyon but not really what I was in the mood for today.
Ria
Dec 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Heart-breakingly average after years of waiting...

After a chance meeting with terrorised senior citizen and retired Hollywood star Horace Daly, Perry enlists Nick’s help in solving the mystery of who’s trying to kill Horace set against the backdrop of a crumbly, gothic hotel.

Now. The writing, as always, is skilled. The mystery was well thought out. The romance was kind of sweet at times but lacklustre at best. There was no real character development, or growth, or anything that really made me
G.
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
I'm not the biggest fan of the first one, but I did enjoy it. This one, however, just felt really lackluster. In my opinion, this sequel wasn't really necessary in the first place. Anyway, The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out isn't a horrible read, but it does feel filler.
Melissa
A complementary copy was provided via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

Wow. I just loved this. When my request for the ARC was approved I new I would need to re-read The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks so I could refresh my memory. Reading these back to back was awesome and I suggest you do the same. The power of Nick and Perry as a couple is just that much greater when you can see what they went through in book 1 to their happiness in book 2.

Perry can't seem to stay away from weird places and
Elena
The mystery had a (very) similar setup to the one in the first book, but what worked well with the atmosphere of a mansion in Vermont around Christmas was a bit boring in an old hotel in L.A. at Halloween.
The second half picked up a bit and I got at least more interested in the relationship aspect. Although some things ((view spoiler)) seemed to be mentioned and left there without any further development, I liked finding out more about Nick and Perry’s plans for t
CrabbyPatty
Aspiring artist Perry and ex-navy SEAL turned PI Nick have moved from Vermont to California for a fresh start together, but just like in "The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks" somehow they are still managing to encounter possibly ghost-related murders in mysterious circumstances.

Perry is sketching Angel's Rest - a wonderfully creepy overgrown former hotel owned by famous horror film star Horace Daly - when he hears screams and ends up rescuing Horace Daly from three masked men wearing capes and carrying
Leanne

I'm not a big fan of sequels and established couples so my rating reflects that rather than some huge literary disappointment. It was an enjoyable enough read as far as cozy crime novellas go. ; )
LynW
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
Don't get me wrong; it was a good short story. Keyword short. It was nice to see Nick's love for Perry and Perry was sweet. But after TEN years between books, I read this in one work day! I just wanted it longer.
Teal
Neither better nor worse than the first book.
Fenrir
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m-romance
Short and sweet and a bit hollow

I thoroughly enjoyed The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks and this follow-up once again manages to present our beloved characters in their best light. They have not changed much and are still quite enjoyable, on their own as well as as a couple, and the story is nice (but nothing to write home about).

Yet, I was hoping for a bit more. A bit more drama, a bit more relationship development, a better glimpse into Nick's and Perry's lives and struggles and into their plans
Joyfully Jay
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sammy
A Joyfully Jay review.

5 stars

I fell in love with Perry and Nick in their first novel, The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks. With a ten year age gap and Nick, a former Navy Seal who never fancied that he would fall in love, paired with Perry, who wears his heart on his sleeve and thinks the world of Nick, you couldn’t ask for a more delicious couple. They are as different as any two could be and yet theirs is a stable, deep abiding affection that allows little room for unnecessary worry over whether they
Chris, the Dalek King
While it was a bit odd to be reading a Halloween-centric book during my Christmas holiday, I was glad to finally get my hands on this story so I wasn’t going to let that throw me off.

This story picks up about 10 months after the ending of The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks. Perry and Nick have packed up and moved from Vermont to sunny California. Perry, so he can go to art school, and Nick so he can get a job in a PI/bodyguard firm in LA. The whole mystery is set in motion when Perry, who is out drawin
Annika
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Audiobook review

It’s Halloween and Perry and (a very reluctant) Nick is spending it at the haunted Angels Rest hotel. The eccentric owner is convinced someone has tried to kill him every Halloween for the past few years and has convinced Perry to investigate. Perry and Nick are sceptic, but then things starts happening. Some that can be explained away by the old and run-down building, but some are more sinister. And maybe there is something to the old man’s claims after all.

This book was withou
ttg
Aug 18, 2019 added it
I LOVED the first book - The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks. It was one of the first books I read by Lanyon, and it helped turn me down the road to reading romance and mysteries starring queer characters. I have a special place in my heart for that book.

So I felt some disappointment with this long- awaited sequel. Maybe the author felt more forced to write this because it definitely feels more joyless in comparison to the first. The mystery felt tedious, most of the side characters leaned heavy on the
Rosa
Shelves: books, read-in-2018
I came to this book a bit wary because I have seen mixed reviews about it and some of them by people who I usually share opinions with wasn't good. But in the end, it worked for me. I agree with some of the reviews I've read after I finished the book. The first book ended in a good point and a second part wasn't exactly necessary, but despite that, I enjoyed reading again about Perry and Nick. This book is similar than the previous one, it has the same feeling and the characters keep their voice ...more
Caipi
Typical Josh Lanyon mystery. A creepy dilapidated hotel, the owner an eccentric retired actor, some quirky tenants and an hungry alligator.
Unfortunately the romance between Perry and Nick got only a few pages and the ending of the story was rather abrupt.

Alisa
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty good (well honestly it was pretty ok) but not great for me. The first book is one of my least favorites by this author so I wasn't expecting to be wow'd by this one but I am forever hopeful. It's mostly a mystery story and that was entertaining.

Very little development on the relationship which is what I really wanted to see. I didn't feel any connection between the two mc's in the first book but I did here. They clearly love each other and are sweet and kind to each other which
Lada
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed reading this, and I didn't even feel the need to re-read the first book. I'd give this book 3* if not for the climax. I just felt the plot of discovering the body and the killer was too contrived. I mean, looking for reel projector in an unused tower in the middle of the night? Couldn't they just watch the movies on the laptop?

And seeing my friend's name there over and over again was quite distracting. No offense, Ami ;)
DeeNeez
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt, 2018
A great Halloween mystery. I think I fell for ever red herring in this story, never figured out. Nick and Perry get tangled up in the affairs of an eccentric retired actor.
Tess
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it

I loved book #1 but this was disappointing. I really couldn’t find it in myself to care about the mystery or any of the new characters. Very little in the way of relationship development either.
Liade
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
OK, I finished this book. Eventually. I slogged through it. I don't know why it seemed such hard work. Maybe because I didn't really care about/like any of the characters.

I think - actually I know - that Josh can do a lot better.
Dokun888
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Worth the wait

I was a bit disappointed when I found out about the length of the book but damn, Josh managed to fit an exciting, well developed story with a fair share of hot bits in a fairly short story. I shouldn't be surprised though since Josh Lanyon is the only author who can make short stories appealing to me XDD anyways, I was really looking forward to this book. I love the couple and their dynamics (really sweet Q.Q) and the mystery is as always on point. I'm also very impressed with how
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Footsteps in the Dark
  • The Mystery of the Bones (Snow & Winter, #4)
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Quill Me Now (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #1; Bad Valentine, #2)
  • Criminal Past (Hazard and Somerset #6)
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Bitter Pill (PsyCop, #11)
  • The Mystery of the Curiosities (Snow & Winter, #2)
  • Murder House (PsyCop, #10)
  • Back in Black (McGinnis Investigations, #1)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Reasonable Doubt (Hazard and Somerset #5)
  • Give Up the Ghost (Not Dead Yet #2)
  • Trouble in Taco Town (The ABCs of Spellcraft, #2)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • The Magician's Angel (The Christmas Angel, #3)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (2 books)
  • The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, #1)