Start by marking “The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)

The Rage of Dragons

(The Burning #1)

Game of Thrones meets Gladiator in this debut epic fantasy about a world caught in an eternal war, and the young man who will become his people's only hope for survival.

The Omehi people have been fighting an unwinnable fight for almost two hundred years. Their society has been built around war and only war. The lucky ones are born gifted. One in every two thousand women
Published July 16th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Rage of Dragons, please sign up.
Clay Wayant Depends on what you deem "suitable" The book has sex but only one scene as well as discussions about characters being sexually assaulted but it never…moreDepends on what you deem "suitable" The book has sex but only one scene as well as discussions about characters being sexually assaulted but it never gets explicit. It is very violent however. Nothing new to teens most likely but if it's their first "adult" book it might bring up some discussion(less)

Start your review of The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
Evan Winter
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I think it's great, but then I wrote it, and my mother always said I should be proud of myself and the things I accomplish. I'm very proud of this. Maybe too proud. You be the judge. Though, you're most likely to have a good time if you enjoy Robert Jordan's expansive worlds, Brandon Sanderson's detailed magic systems, Joe Abercrombie's gritty combat, and Pierce Brown's page-burning pace of action.

My goal was to write something that I would, as a reader, love. The joke is that, since I'm the
Petrik
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

The Rage of Dragons is a blazing African-inspired epic fantasy debut that was so possessive of my attention, it simply wouldn’t allow me to read anything else until I finished it.

This book was originally self-published and released in September 2017. Honestly speaking, I have seen and known about this book since then but the book wasn’t able to move up the monstrosity that is my TBR tower for some reason. However, its acquisition by Orbit, which resulted in a brand new gorgeous cover
Daniel Greene
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I COULD NOT STOP READING THIS! Holy Crap, bar raised for first-time authors.
Sean Barrs the Bookdragon
The Rage of Dragons is an African inspired revenge fantasy novel. This is worthy of attention in and of itself, simply because fantasy is dominated by white male authors who write about white male characters. Admittedly I enjoy reading such books, though it’s refreshing to see more diverse books appearing in the fantasy genre in recent years. There are other voices out there, and they really are worth listening to.

The story begins in the middle of a battle, which sets the tone for the martial
James Lafayette Tivendale
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
*Minor spoilers may follow.*

The inhabitants of Omehi who are known as the Chosen have been warring with the savage hedeni tribes for hundreds of years. The hedeni may have superior numbers but the Chosen have the Gifted. These are powerful female mages who can source power from the underworld Isihogo. The Gifted are a huge asset in battles. They can turn a warrior into an Ingonyama which is a giant, amazingly powerful protective being. The pinnacle of their powers, and the aspect that the
Nicholas Eames
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn, this book was good.

ASIDE from the fact that its setting is so refreshingly unique, the pacing is extraordinary. And by 'extraordinary' I mean that once it gets rolling--and it gets rolling almost right off the bat--it never lets up. Seriously, though: NEVER. Important scenes are followed by equally important scenes, which are followed by sudden revelations, which are followed by shocking loss, and then the whole thing repeats again. The chapters--short but not too short--are the perfect
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
My expanded review on BookNest...

The Rage of Dragons BookNest review

I have just finished reading The Rage of Dragons, and the fact that I read this in two days is testimony to how much I loved it!

The Rage of Dragons is one of the greatest books I have ever read. It is a heart-wrenching, mind-blowing tale of love and hatred, of sacrifice and inspiration. But most of all, this is an epic story of vengeance.

I have never read an African-inspired fantasy novel before, so was not sure what to expect
Anthony Ryan
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The stultifying and dehumanising effects of a caste-based society and the seductive but ultimately destructive nature of vengeance lie at the heart of Evan Winter’s tale. A feudal people known as the Omehi fight a never-ending war against encroaching tribes to maintain their hold on a peninsular they invaded two hundred years before. 'Lesser Common' Tau Solarin drives himself to the point of madness as he gains the warrior skills needed to avenge himself on the noble caste. Expertly structured ...more
James Islington
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome - intense, inventive and action-packed from beginning to end. It included a ton of things that I like in a story, and then executed that story really, really well.

Where the blurb mentions Game of Thrones, I’d liken it more to something like Red Rising, with its protagonist driven by revenge, class system to overcome, and story that moves forward with a kind of forceful, gripping, action-oriented pace. In fact, I think that fans of Pierce Brown’s series (as I am) would
Sebastien Castell
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter is the best fantasy debut I've read this year. This surprised me, because I've been generally trying to get away from books about great wars and warriors, lofty magic and military organizations being the centre of the story. Yet Winter's debut kept me captivated precisely because he managed to do what many of those books seem to avoid: he kept the story incredibly contained within the life of its main character.

Tau is a Lesser –a low-caste commoner in this
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Some books start quite slowly, setting the scene, others, they start with a bang. The Rage of Dragons is one such book, starting with a bloody sword thrust through the chest cavity, one that explodes out the back in a profusion of action.

After fleeing their previous home, the land of Osonte and a catastrophe known as ‘The Cull‘ the Omehi are newly arrived on the shores of Xidda
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it

4.5 Stars

A heart-stoppingly ferocious fantasy achievement, The Rage of Dragons is exhilarating in its execution and an enthralling debut you won’t want to miss.

Let’s not deny it. We have all bought a book based on its cover alone. Most of the times we get lucky and the story is great, but now and then we feel like fools for making such impulsive purchases without checking reviews. The Rage of Dragons lured me in with just such a cover in a moment of weakness, but I can happily say the contents
Lucia
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
AHHH, WHAT A RIDE! I have only one regret about this book and it's the fact that I haven't read it sooner because The Rage of Dragons is one hell of a debut. Was it perfect? Nope. Did I have fun reading it? Huge yes. I have a lot to say about this novel, so bear with me.

Now I get all those comparisons to Red Rising. You are right to think this comparison being weird, they are nothing alike when it comes to setting. The Rage of Dragon is African-ispired fantasy with dragons and magic while Red
Deborah Obida
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult

“The days without difficulty are the days you do not improve.”

That was exceptional, this book is unique and somewhat similar to other fantasy books. The caste system is a system I've read about before but I love the way the author portrayed his. This book is a revenge fantasy with a touch of politics and war. I love the characters so much, they were all unique in their own way.

The world building is so well depicted, I really liked the way the author depicted the world. The magic system is so
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, review-copies
Personal rating: 4.25
Lena K.
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The series is called “The Burning” and I’m pretty sure it refers to me burning through the pages at high speed!

‘Rage of Dragons’ is military oriented fantasy, so there are a lot of sparring, battles, skirmishes and thank the Goddess for that! I do love battle scenes and the ones in this book are well written and highly engaging.

That prologue is amazing, it gives you a taste of the world with explosive action scenes and gets you immediately hooked.

The book is told from Tau’s perspective, one of
kartik narayanan
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure who recommended The Rage of Dragons to me. Whoever it was, THANK YOU!

The first 20% of the book is a snore fest. At times, I was tempted to chuck the book away. But then, the Zaknafein moment happened, and the book went full Hulk on me.

BOOK SMASH PUNY READER!

The remaining 80% is as action packed as it is possible for the written word to be. There is plenty of humour, drama, character development, world building and every other thing you can think of.

The only problem with finishing
Nick
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Holden Johnson
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fucking masterpiece.

The Rage of Dragons is something that has been on my radar for a while, though never at the top of my to-read list. I made a goal in 2020 to read a book each week and decided to start off strong in week two with this.

I am soooooo glad I did.

What Evan Winter has created here is more than a story. It's a statement. It shows that not only can fantasy break its bounds and be more than medieval European, but it can mean and teach something as well.

“I have come for you, and I bring
Fares
Oct 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
First of all a piece of advice, if you're getting this book make sure your version has a glossary!

Cuz this was confusingly good!
It took some effort and patience but I'm glad I read this and you should too.

I finished this and I still don't know half the terms mentioned in this book, I have no idea what the social structure is exactly, and I'm so lost at how this magic system really works but I'm a happy man :)
I love the characters in this and if not for them I would've given up a long time ago.
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“We know your witches are dying,” shouted the warlord, near the edge of hearing. “We know it as we know that, in the coming cycles, you will have too few to call the fire-demons. We know it and offered you peace. You saw that as weakness, paying it back with the blood of our innocent. Queen of demons, what you saw was kindness, not weakness. Queen of demons, what you will see is vengeance, righteous in cause and unholy in deliverance.”

Revenge is a dish best served cold–this we know. It serves as
Monica **can't read fast enough**
I enjoyed every page of this book and it's added to my favorites list. I believe that this is my second 5 star book this year. If you enjoy fantasy, think you might like fantasy, or are just kinda interested please pick up this book! I finished this Tuesday and still haven't picked up my next read. I just need a minute. I will be not so patiently waiting for the next book.

Where you can find me:
•().•*Monlatable Book Reviews*•.()•
Twitter: @MonlatReader
Instagram: @readermonica
Facebook: Monica
Mike Everest Evans
May 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Good: The titular dragons aren’t the only things that come raging out of the pages thanks to the triple-threat of people, ‘places’ and plot, making this Africa (Xhosa) inspired epic an unforgettable read.

The Bad: For me? Nothing. Seriously, I love this book. I have seen some people getting put off by the ‘simple revenge plot’, all the fighting, or the ‘mash-up of cultures’, but honestly, I had so much FUN reading this book I didn’t notice!

The Ugly Truth: The Rage of Dragons is an explosion
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

‘“To defend against failure, every day must be hard. Every day must strengthen you. For it’s in the crucible of hard days that potential becomes power.”’
~
The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter was originally a self published debut back in 2017, until Orbit’s acquisition of the book and its release in July 2019. I actually own both copies as the previous year I had been gifted the paperback of the self published version, and then decided to buy the Orbit published edition after seeing the dramatic
Hollis
If the pitch of Gladiator meets GAME OF THRONES drew you in, you'll probably be very happy with THE RAGE OF DRAGONS. Because in addition to those things, it's also as not-white as you can possibly be. This is a world that I guess would be the fantasy version of Africa, or fantasy-inspired version, and the "savage" people are no less dark than the "Chosen" people.

This is a pretty long book, clocking in at almost five hundred and fifty pages, but if you love battle scenes, or long arduous periods
Yuri
Jun 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I’ve been blessed this year, so many great books have found their way to my doorstep. I don’t have time for a full review, but I suck at those anyway.

I’ll edit this later (if I don’t forget).
For now, just get the book for an action packed revenge story and solid worldbuilding.
Sadir Samir
Aug 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
I loved The Rage of Dragons from start to finish. The African inspired fantasy setting was unique and refreshing, and the pacing was honestly akin to that of an action movie. I had heard a lot of good things about this book before it was released, but it's only in rare instances that the hype ends up being real, but this is definitely one of those cases. It pretty much has everything I want in a fantasy novel and I can't wait to read the next installment. Buy it and read it, you won't regret it. ...more
Adah Udechukwu
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Rage of Dragons is really, really good novel and I recommend it for everyone. I loved the plot and setting of the novel.
The novel had no dull moments and the fact that Nigerian names were used in the novel such as Odili, Uduak, Chinedu and many others was really cool.
David S Meanderings)
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019-favorites
Edit(7/26/19). Because I can't stop thinking about the ending of this book and I need to talk Spoilers. So there will be some at the end and a spoiler warning before it. No spoilers up until that point. Feel free to add comments with spoiler tags or DM me because I would love to have a dialogue about it!

Okay. So I am going to try to put my jumbled feelings into words. First things first, this is without a doubt the best book I have read this year and quite possibly the best debut novel I have
Rachel (TheShadesofOrange)
4.0 Stars
Video Review: https://youtu.be/rJZGofAjhwU
I dare you to read the prologue and not be immediately hooked into this fantasy world!

Rage of Dragons kicks off with one of the best prologues I have read in a book… ever. Seriously, I would LOVE the author to write a prequel series because I so badly want to read more from that timeline.The prologue was epic, emotional and filled with dragons. The beginning gave me serious Game of Thrones vibes with a fiery queen, reminiscent of Daenerys. I
Kindle Unlimited ...: The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter 1 18 May 23, 2018 07:52AM

• The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • The Sword of Kaigen
  • Underlord (Cradle, #6)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Dark Forge (Masters & Mages, #2)
  • Bright Steel (Masters & Mages, #3)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • A Mark of Kings (The Shattered Reigns #1)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Cold Iron (Masters & Mages, #1)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Crowfall (Raven's Mark, #3)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)

The Burning (2 books)
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
“I'd rather live with a thing done poorly than do nothing and always wonder how things could have been.” 13 likes
“I can't imagine a world where the man holding a sword does not have the last say over the man without one.” 10 likes