Start by marking “The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)

The Rage of Dragons

(The Burning #1)

4.39  ·  Rating details ·  10,440 ratings  ·  1,678 reviews
Game of Thrones meets Gladiator in this debut epic fantasy about a world caught in an eternal war, and the young man who will become his people's only hope for survival.

The Omehi people have been fighting an unwinnable fight for almost two hundred years. Their society has been built around war and only war. The lucky ones are born gifted. One in every two thousand women ha
Published July 16th 2019 by Orbit

To ask other readers questions about The Rage of Dragons, please sign up.
Clay Wayant Depends on what you deem "suitable" The book has sex but only one scene as well as discussions about characters being sexually assaulted but it never …moreDepends on what you deem "suitable" The book has sex but only one scene as well as discussions about characters being sexually assaulted but it never gets explicit. It is very violent however. Nothing new to teens most likely but if it's their first "adult" book it might bring up some discussion(less)

·  10,440 ratings  ·  1,678 reviews

Start your review of The Rage of Dragons (The Burning, #1)
Rick Riordan
Feb 07, 2020 rated it it was amazing
It may be cliche to say a book was impossible to put down, but well, dang it, this book was impossible to put down!

I was intrigued by the lovely cover art, which seemed to promise a Zulu-inspired fantasy world with dragons. That's exactly what I got, but there is so much much to the story. We meet our hero Tau Solarin as a young man, just training for his warrior trials, which in the society of the Omehi is a requirement for all commoner men. If he passes, Tau can join the ranks of the Ihashe,
Evan Winter
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
I think it's great, but then I wrote it, and my mother always said I should be proud of myself and the things I accomplish. I'm very proud of this. Maybe too proud. You be the judge. Though, you're most likely to have a good time if you enjoy Robert Jordan's expansive worlds, Brandon Sanderson's detailed magic systems, Joe Abercrombie's gritty combat, and Pierce Brown's page-burning pace of action.

My goal was to write something that I would, as a reader, love. The joke is that, since I'm the on
Petrik
Mar 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars

The Rage of Dragons is a blazing African-inspired epic fantasy debut that was so possessive of my attention, it simply wouldn’t allow me to read anything else until I finished it.

This book was originally self-published and released in September 2017. Honestly speaking, I have seen and known about this book since then but the book wasn’t able to move up the monstrosity that is my TBR tower for some reason. However, its acquisition by Orbit, which resulted in a brand new gorgeous cover
Daniel Greene
Aug 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I COULD NOT STOP READING THIS! Holy Crap, bar raised for first-time authors.
Merphy Napier
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult, fantasy, five-stars
Here's my spoiler free video review https://youtu.be/f68cU3_mPqg ...more
Sean Barrs
The Rage of Dragons is an African inspired revenge fantasy novel. This is worthy of attention in and of itself, simply because fantasy is dominated by white male authors who write about white male characters. Admittedly I enjoy reading such books, though it’s refreshing to see more diverse books appearing in the fantasy genre in recent years. There are other voices out there, and they really are worth listening to.

The story begins in the middle of a battle, which sets the tone for the martial f
James Tivendale
Jun 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: freecopy, fantasy
Re-read 2020 before starting The Fires of Vengeance and I've upgraded it to 5-stars.

*Minor spoilers may follow.*

The inhabitants of Omehi who are known as the Chosen have been warring with the savage hedeni tribes for hundreds of years. The hedeni may have superior numbers but the Chosen have the Gifted. These are powerful female mages who can source power from the underworld Isihogo. The Gifted are a huge asset in battles. They can turn a warrior into an Ingonyama which is a giant, amazingly po
Nicholas Eames
Jul 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Damn, this book was good.

ASIDE from the fact that its setting is so refreshingly unique, the pacing is extraordinary. And by 'extraordinary' I mean that once it gets rolling--and it gets rolling almost right off the bat--it never lets up. Seriously, though: NEVER. Important scenes are followed by equally important scenes, which are followed by sudden revelations, which are followed by shocking loss, and then the whole thing repeats again. The chapters--short but not too short--are the perfect s
R.F. Kuang
Feb 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
couldn't stop listening
ChopinFC
Feb 19, 2020 rated it it was amazing
5 Stars (Masterpiece)

I was so blown away by the intensity, the action, the plot and characterization, the magic system and the GENIUS, behind The Rage of Dragons, that it has shot up as one of my favorite books of ALL TIMES!!!

God, this book is so fucking good I don’t even know where to start! I’ve heard the buzz about ‘Rage’ from some online youtube reviews, and strong GR reviewers (shout out Petrik...as usual) and went full steam into it! I sampled the ‘audiobook’ version, and as soon as I hea
Will.J.R. Gwynne
Aug 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Make sure to pop over and look at the AMAZING cover for The Fires of Vengeance, book to in The Burning series. I CANNOT WAIT TO READ THIS

My expanded review on BookNest... The Rage of Dragons BookNest review

I have just finished reading The Rage of Dragons, and the fact that I read this in two days is testimony to how much I loved it!

The Rage of Dragons is one of the greatest books I have ever read. It is a heart-wrenching, mind-blowing tale of love and hatred, of sacrifice and inspiration. But mo
Hamad
Mar 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Hamad by: FanFiAddict
David's pick for my 10 readers, 10 recommendations challenge!!

Pretty impressive for a debut, pretty impressive overall!
Actual Rating: 4.25 stars

description
Zitong Ren
me frantically panting after finishing this book be like

OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD. OH MY GOD.

Yeah…

I know

The truth is, I really have not been reading a lot of books that I have been loving recently for whatever reason, in fact, this is my first 5 star in a month, and my first five star for a fantasy book since I read {book: Warbreaker] by Brando Sando since the start of February. Needless to say, I’m very happy to have read this, and all
Anthony Ryan
Jul 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The stultifying and dehumanising effects of a caste-based society and the seductive but ultimately destructive nature of vengeance lie at the heart of Evan Winter’s tale. A feudal people known as the Omehi fight a never-ending war against encroaching tribes to maintain their hold on a peninsular they invaded two hundred years before. 'Lesser Common' Tau Solarin drives himself to the point of madness as he gains the warrior skills needed to avenge himself on the noble caste. Expertly structured w ...more
Eon ♒Windrunner♒
Oct 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

A heart-stoppingly ferocious fantasy achievement, The Rage of Dragons is exhilarating in its execution and an enthralling debut you won’t want to miss.

Let’s not deny it. We have all bought a book based on its cover alone. Most of the times we get lucky and the story is great, but now and then we feel like fools for making such impulsive purchases without checking reviews. The Rage of Dragons lured me in with just such a cover in a moment of weakness, but I can happily say the contents m
James Islington
Mar 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book was awesome - intense, inventive and action-packed from beginning to end. It included a ton of things that I like in a story, and then executed that story really, really well.

Where the blurb mentions Game of Thrones, I’d liken it more to something like Red Rising, with its protagonist driven by revenge, class system to overcome, and story that moves forward with a kind of forceful, gripping, action-oriented pace. In fact, I think that fans of Pierce Brown’s series (as I am) would almo
Lucia
Nov 29, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
AHHH, WHAT A RIDE! I have only one regret about this book and it's the fact that I haven't read it sooner because The Rage of Dragons is one hell of a debut. Was it perfect? Nope. Did I have fun reading it? Huge yes. I have a lot to say about this novel, so bear with me.

Now I get all those comparisons to Red Rising. You are right to think this comparison being weird, they are nothing alike when it comes to setting. The Rage of Dragon is African-ispired fantasy with dragons and magic while Red Ri
Sebastien Castell
Oct 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter is the best fantasy debut I've read this year. This surprised me, because I've been generally trying to get away from books about great wars and warriors, lofty magic and military organizations being the centre of the story. Yet Winter's debut kept me captivated precisely because he managed to do what many of those books seem to avoid: he kept the story incredibly contained within the life of its main character.

Tau is a Lesser – a low-caste commoner in this Afr
Nick
Apr 05, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Deborah Obida
Sep 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, adult

“The days without difficulty are the days you do not improve.”

That was exceptional, this book is unique and somewhat similar to other fantasy books. The caste system is a system I've read about before but I love the way the author portrayed his. This book is a revenge fantasy with a touch of politics and war. I love the characters so much, they were all unique in their own way.

The world building is so well depicted, I really liked the way the author depicted the world. The magic system is so
The Tattooed Book Geek (Drew).
As always this review can also be found on my blog The Tattooed Book Geek: https://thetattooedbookgeek.wordpress...

Some books start quite slowly, setting the scene, others, they start with a bang. The Rage of Dragons is one such book, starting with a bloody sword thrust through the chest cavity, one that explodes out the back in a profusion of action.

After fleeing their previous home, the land of Osonte and a catastrophe known as ‘The Cull‘ the Omehi are newly arrived on the shores of Xidda look
Sara
Jun 30, 2020 rated it it was amazing
HOLY COW i wish i'd read this sooner, i literally stayed up until the early hours of the morning reading this because i couldn't put it down!

The setting is unique and fascinating and the world development is remarkably well done, i really felt like i was in this story with Tau and really enjoyed his character development too.

Chef's kiss!
Lena K.
Nov 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
The series is called “The Burning” and I’m pretty sure it refers to me burning through the pages at high speed!

‘Rage of Dragons’ is military oriented fantasy, so there are a lot of sparring, battles, skirmishes and thank the Goddess for that! I do love battle scenes and the ones in this book are well written and highly engaging.

That prologue is amazing, it gives you a taste of the world with explosive action scenes and gets you immediately hooked.

The book is told from Tau’s perspective, one of
kartik narayanan
May 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not sure who recommended The Rage of Dragons to me. Whoever it was, THANK YOU!

The first 20% of the book is a snore fest. At times, I was tempted to chuck the book away. But then, the Zaknafein moment happened, and the book went full Hulk on me.

BOOK SMASH PUNY READER!

The remaining 80% is as action packed as it is possible for the written word to be. There is plenty of humour, drama, character development, world building and every other thing you can think of.

The only problem with finishing
Holly (Holly Hearts Books)
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, review-copies
Personal rating: 4.25
Tommye Turner
Apr 12, 2020 added it
Shelves: dnf
SPOILER FREE

I stopped reading at 30%. I want to be clear, however – I put this book down because of personal taste. Tau’s revenge plot just really isn’t my kind of thing. I quite like the writing style – the author certainly knows how to write a battle scene! Any scene with fighting is so well crafted! But if the whole first third of the book is just one small fight after the other, with very little else to make the story interesting – I’m not sure I want to keep reading the book.

I loved the p
Choko
Apr 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: demons
*** 3.35 ***

I was really looking forward to reading this book! First and foremost - Dragons and a gorgeous cover!!! Second, a lot of my GR friends really liked it and I always look for something new in my favorite genre, Fantasy. And this promised a heavy influence from an African culture. I was sold!

It started promising, with a battle of invaders from the Sea, attacking a native peoples with army, magic and Dragons, but because they are running to this new land in order to save their lives, the
Holden Johnson
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Fucking masterpiece.

The Rage of Dragons is something that has been on my radar for a while, though never at the top of my to-read list. I made a goal in 2020 to read a book each week and decided to start off strong in week two with this.

I am soooooo glad I did.

What Evan Winter has created here is more than a story. It's a statement. It shows that not only can fantasy break its bounds and be more than medieval European, but it can mean and teach something as well.

“I have come for you, and I bring
Holly (The Grimdragon)
“We know your witches are dying,” shouted the warlord, near the edge of hearing. “We know it as we know that, in the coming cycles, you will have too few to call the fire-demons. We know it and offered you peace. You saw that as weakness, paying it back with the blood of our innocent. Queen of demons, what you saw was kindness, not weakness. Queen of demons, what you will see is vengeance, righteous in cause and unholy in deliverance.”

Revenge is a dish best served cold–this we know. It serves as
Nils | nilsreviewsit
Oct 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing

‘“To defend against failure, every day must be hard. Every day must strengthen you. For it’s in the crucible of hard days that potential becomes power.”’
~
The Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter was originally a self published debut back in 2017, until Orbit’s acquisition of the book and its release in July 2019. I actually own both copies as the previous year I had been gifted the paperback of the self published version, and then decided to buy the Orbit published edition after seeing the dramatic co

• The Sword of Kaigen
  • A Little Hatred (The Age of Madness, #1)
  • The Wolf's Call (Raven's Blade #1)
  • The Girl and the Stars (Book of the Ice, #1)
  • Priest of Lies (War for the Rose Throne, #2)
  • The Burning White (Lightbringer, #5)
  • Starsight (Skyward, #2)
  • The Bone Ships (The Tide Child, #1)
  • Uncrowned (Cradle, #7)
  • Holy Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #3)
  • The Light of All That Falls (The Licanius Trilogy, #3)
  • Kings of the Wyld (The Band, #1)
  • The Dragon Republic (The Poppy War, #2)
  • Blood of an Exile (Dragons of Terra, #1)
  • Priest of Bones (War for the Rose Throne, #1)
  • Blood of Empire (Gods of Blood and Powder, #3)
  • The Shadow of What Was Lost (The Licanius Trilogy, #1)
  • Shorefall (Founders, #2)

The Burning (4 books)
  • The Fires of Vengeance (The Burning, #2)
  • Untitled (The Burning, #3)
  • Untitled (The Burning, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Here at Goodreads we take our summer reading seriously. After all, there are beach bags to be packed and ereaders to stock! ...
“I'd rather live with a thing done poorly than do nothing and always wonder how things could have been.” 23 likes
“I can't imagine a world where the man holding a sword does not have the last say over the man without one.” 13 likes