Start by marking “The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake #2)” as Want to Read:
The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake #2)

The Cutting Room

(Carver and Lake #2)

Detectives Ruth Lake and Greg Carver, introduced in the electrifying Splinter in the Blood, must stop a serial killer whose victims are the centerpiece of his macabre works of art.

Lure
Published June 18th 2019 by William Morrow

To ask other readers questions about The Cutting Room, please sign up.
Patricia Wright I haven't read the first book and didn't realize there was one. This is a stand alone book and easy to follow the characters

Start your review of The Cutting Room (Carver and Lake #2)
Berit☀️✨
ᴅɪsᴛᴜʀʙɪɴɢ. ᴅᴇʀᴀɴɢᴇᴅ. ᴅᴇʟɪᴄɪᴏᴜsʟʏ ᴅᴀʀᴋ.

Ashley Dyer has twisted together One deranged, disturbing, and deliciously dark tale! Would you follow a serial killer on Instagram? This book picks up shortly where the first book leaves off (from what I can gather). I did not read the first book and I still thoroughly devoured this book. However I think it would’ve been nice to have read the first book because both Ruth Lake and Greg Carver are suffering from repercussions from their previous case. There
DJ Sakata
Favorite Quotes:

His smile somehow managed to convey both apology and mischief.

She was four foot ten and almost the same in circumference, she walked with a roll.

Drew Scanlon was what Carver, a London incomer, now recognized as a through-and-through Scouse scally. The type that could boast five generations of forebears who were also Scouse scallies, Liverpool born-and-dragged-up going back over a century. To qualify as a true scally, it was necessary to forswear aspiration as poncey and soft. Ed
Tucker  (TuckerTheReader)

Many thanks to William Morrow for sending me a copy in exchange for an honest review

| Goodreads | Blog | Pinterest | LinkedIn | YouTube | Instagram
Samantha
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, edelweiss
Summary from Goodreads:

"While Britain is obsessed with the newest hit true-crime television show, Fact, or Fable? detectives Ruth Lake and Greg Carver are tormented by a fiendish flesh-and-blood killer on the loose.

Lured to a “crime scene” by a mysterious digital invitation, Ruth Lake is horrified by what she finds: a bizarre and gruesome tableau surrounded by a crowd of gawkers. The deadly work is the latest “art installation” designed by a diabolical criminal dubbed the Ferryman. Not only is t
Jessica
Jun 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
Detectives Ruth Lake and Greg Carver are back on the case! This time around the duo is faced with a serial killer fixated on turning his victim’s body parts into macabre works of art, which he then features on Instagram. When a local television celebrity falls victim to this killer, dubbed the Ferryman, all eyes are on the case and not everyone is against what he is producing.

The Ferryman quickly gains a massive following, as he uses social media to stir interest and terror in the public. Lake a
Ryan Madland
Apr 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was sent to me as part of the Goodreads "First Reads" program. I typically don't like to read mystery/thriller books set in Englad and I think it might have to do with the fact that my Mom used to make me watch "Eastenders" as a kid, but its kind of weird, cause I don't mind watching movies set there, but I'm glad I gave this one a whirl.

Detectives Carver and Lake are in their second book together, the first one being "Splinter in the Blood", which I definitely plan to read now. In this cha
Stephen
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always admire when two authors can work together as a team to produce a well written book. And this is the case when Margaret Murphy and Helen Pepper get together as Ashley Dyer to produce fascinating murder mysteries.
And this is what you will discover when you read " The Cutting Room " . A sadistic,serial killer is loose in Liverpool. He has gained the nickname ' The Ferryman ' . The police often just find human parts at the murder scenes .....maybe a few parts of a human brain or a heart .
Suzi McGhie
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great police procedural, couldn’t put it down! A murderer is killing men in Liverpool and using their death and body parts as public displays of art. Lots of action with a solid cast of detectives who all seem to have personal issues of their own. Read this (the second book of the series) first and had to immediately find the first book (Splinter in the Blood) and start reading it right away.
Bookreporter.com Mystery & Thriller
When Ashley Dyer --- the pseudonym for the UK writing duo of Margaret Murphy and Helen Pepper --- released their first book together in 2018, SPLINTER IN THE BLOOD, they delivered a fresh take on the standard serial killer novel. In fact, it was as expertly crafted and chilling as Thomas Harris at his finest during his run with the Hannibal Lecter series. It appeared on my Top 10 list from last year, making my expectations for the follow-up sky high.

The two protagonists from SPLINTER IN THE BLOO
Priya Shrinath
Jul 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
My full review here:

The book opens up with a serial killer at loose targeting and killing young men of Liverpool as the missing persons list pile up everyday. Detective Inspector Ruth Lake is brilliant and a fast thinker for her job who tries to best to cover for her now-suffering boss Detective Chief Inspector Greg Carver whose insomnia and depression does not let him do his job 100 percent. As the story picks up right where Ashley’s previous book ended and I haven’t read it yet, I am not awar
Christen Moore
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This time last year, I was telling anyone who would listen about Splinter In The Blood; book one of the Lake and Carver series. What I praised most was Dyer’s ability to create an original serial killer thriller. Although The Cutting Room is a more traditional serial killer thriller, the endearing characters, a truly horrifying crime, and the forensic details makes The Cutting Room a stand out in the crowded serial killer thriller genre.

In Liverpool England young men are disappearing without a t
Lori L (She Treads Softly)
The Cutting Room by Ashley Dyer is a very highly recommended police procedural/thriller with Detectives Lake and Carver on the search for a serial killer.

Detectives Ruth Lake and Greg Carver are searching for a serial killer in Liverpool, England, where men are disappearing. When they arrived at the first crime scene, they are shocked to see sections of human brains encased in plexiglass and set up as an art installation on display for everyone to see. The gruesome crime scene becomes even more
Jessica
Jul 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: partner-read
Thanks to the publisher for the free copy in exchange for my honest review

Last year I couldn’t stop recommending Dyer’s debut SPLINTER IN THE BLOOD. Talk about a creepy, gruesome, and unique serial killer we found in the Thorn Killer. Now, Dyer has brought back Carver and Lake to face their newest case with The Ferryman.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, I love when authors tie social media into these crime fiction novels. The topic of social media and an online presence is so relevant a
Betty
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a great series! Reading Splinter In The Blood first is a must, then this book follows & doesn’t disappoint!!!👍 ...more
Kim Deutschman
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very good follow-up to the first book in the series. Looking forward to book number three as there is obviously going to be another book based on how this one ended.
Judy
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Book started a little slow for me, wish I had read the first book first, but really picked up and couldn’t put down at the end! A killer is on the lose using body parts of people to create art, then streams it online.
Kelly
Jun 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was deliciously chilling and fantastic! Dark, suspenseful, utterly engrossing. Ruth Lake is a force to be reckoned with and a female powerhouse. This book ends with you begging for the next installment in this series.
Octavia (ReadsWithDogs)
A strong sequel to Splinter in the Blood!
I really liked how this book went more into the relationship of Ruth and her brother Adam, although I did worry about it at parts and think Ruth was losing some of her "edge."
The serial killer in this story and his 'killing as art' was more intriguing than the previous book's villain, but I figured out who the killer and was a bit let down by it.

The writer duo Ashley Dyer seems only to be improving with each book, so I can't wait to see what they turn up
Jo Ann
What a devious, creepy and deranged killer - yikes!!
One thing that made me pause was the constant use of "Ruth Lake" instead of just Ruth or Lake (like all the male characters). She's one of the main protagonists - the reader doesn't need the constant reminder of her first and last name. It felt clunky to read. Besides that quibble, a good follow-up to Splinter In the Blood.
Beth Lind
Nov 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It took a bit to get into this story but it ended strong. I do wish I had read the first book as the two main characters are still struggling with some injuries that happened before this book. It is gory and gruesome at times and it definitely paints a bleak picture of humanity with social media. Well written and gripping.
Cathy
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoy this series and the characters and storyline. Especially getting more of their backstories.
Indre
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great book in the series. I love how much the characters stuck to who they are and how they work in this book. I liked how they were not the main focus of the story, even though how they work and what they do was. It felt like a natural process to follow them along this journey.
The serial killer again was inventive and different. It had questionable morals, and he/she made others question them too. The whole art is art, no matter what kind of medium the artist chooses to use was very int
Ingo
Jun 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: preordered
Let's see if this book can hold my interest.
Short intro in the 2 mc's then they are lured to the remains of the next victim of a serial killer.
With the setting being in UK, and for once not London, instead Liverpool, this might just be my kind of book.

4.5 stars rounded up to 5. Up-to-date internet social media-use, with facebook, twitter, tumblr, instagram, live-streaming, VPN, email and short-messages (SMS and chat). Very well done, without embellishing or any mistakes I could spot. Also withou
Laura Cee
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received an ARC of The Cutting Room in exchange for an honest review. ".... there's a kind of poetry in their dismemberment." When a psychopath decides to use death and dismemberment as medium for art, social media becomes the forum of choice. A morbid fascination cultivates a following of Ferryman fans. Investigators Carver and Lake struggle with their own personal baggage as they try to wade through the chaos the Ferryman has wrought, all in the name of art. Although it would have been helpf ...more
Rita
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book in one day. It was very interesting and exciting. I loved the unusual plot. I love the characters and how they relate to each other. I love how the story was full of twists and turns and so many surprises. I will be reading more from this author. I was glad to have read it.
Christine
ashley  lloyd spanton
New authors make me nervous, especially when they seem to jump on the thriller bandwagon, but I took a chance on Ashley Dyer's Splinter in the Blood and was really impressed with the debut. (Update: I just discovered that Ashley Dyer isn’t actually a new author, but the combined effort of two established writers. It doesn’t really change anything for me, other than prove that I don’t do a lot of looking behind the scenes before picking up a book and make me feel a little foolish for being tr ...more
Victoria Colotta
My Highly Caffeinated Thought: A dark, chilling, and gripping thriller which keeps you guessing until the very end.

THE CUTTING ROOM is the second book in the Carver and Lake series, and it is so freaking good. These authors came to play with this story. For those who read the first novel, expect this one to have heightened suspense, more twists, more turns, and a deeper bond forming between Ruth and Greg.

So here is the thing. I enjoyed the first book, and it was a solid start to the series. How
Kathy
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4.5 stars.

The Cutting Room by Ashley Dyer is a multi-layered, spellbinding mystery. This second installment in the Carver and Lake series can be read as a standalone, but I highly recommend book one, Splinter in the Blood, as well.

DCI Greg Carver is still on restricted duty following his horrific injuries sustained on a previous case. However, when a suspected serial killer  begins displaying macabre art which incorporates  parts of the victim's bodies, Carver and DS Ruth Lake work overtime to c
Trish W.
"Ashley Dyer" is the pseudonym used by author Margaret Murphy and professional forensic consultant Helen Pepper. This novel is the second in their Carver and Lake series.

"The Cutting Room" is a very in-the-moment crime thriller that uses social media as the perfect framework for the pathological attention-seeking all narcissists thrive on. The story is generally well-written with good character development and pacing. The identity of the antagonist is skillfully camouflaged and not revealed unti
« previous 1 3 next »

• Buried (Agent Sayer Altair, #2)
  • The Killer in Me (Frankie Sheehan, #2)
  • Never Look Back
  • Trace of Evil (Natalie Lockhart #1)
  • City of Windows (Lucas Page, #1)
  • Blood Relations
  • A Beautiful Corpse (Harper McClain, #2)
  • Stone Cold Heart (Cat Kinsella, #2)
  • The Stranger Inside
  • Missing Person
  • Elevator Pitch
  • Anything For You (Valerie Hart, #3)
  • Death in the Family (Shana Merchant, #1)
  • Cut to the Bone (Agent Sayer Altair, #3)
  • Strangers at the Gate
  • The Gone Dead
  • The Titanic Secret (Isaac Bell, #11)
  • The Murder List

Carver and Lake (2 books)
  • Splinter in the Blood (Carver and Lake #1)