Start by marking “Angel Mage” as Want to Read:

Angel Mage

More than a century has passed since Liliath crept into the empty sarcophagus of Saint Marguerite, fleeing the Fall of Ystara. But she emerges from her magical sleep still beautiful, looking no more than nineteen, and once again renews her single-minded quest to be united with her lover, Palleniel, the archangel of Ystara.

A seemingly impossible quest, but Liliath is one of
Expected publication: October 1st 2019 by Katherine Tegen Books (first published September 30th 2019)

Win a Copy of This Book

Release date: Oct 01, 2019
    A new fantasy masterpiece from Garth Nix, bestselling author of the Old Kingdom series.

ANGEL MAGE follows Liliath, an ageless young girl on a single-m

Format: Print book

Giveaway ends in: a

Availability: 5 copies available, 4233 people requesting

Giveaway dates: Aug 19 - Sep 16, 2019

Countries available: U.S.

• Friend Reviews

To ask other readers questions about Angel Mage, please sign up.
    Garth Nix No, it's a standalone novel, at least at this stage.

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
    Excuse me while I weep tears of joy. Garth Nix's work was my introduction to in-depth fantasy worlds and I feel like I owe so much of my taste in reading to Sabriel. I'm also curious to see how this differs from the other things I've read from him, since he's already gone on the record that this new adult fantasy is a new take from him (and it's a stand-alone!).

Thank you so much to the publisher for providing me with this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
    Courtney
    Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    I received a review copy of Angel Mage from the publisher via Edelweiss.

First off, I have to say I've always been a big Garth Nix fan. Between Sabriel, Mister Monday, Have Sword Will Travel and the rest, he does a magnificent job with world building. Angel Mage was no different. I was a little hesitant to start reading the book at first because... angels? In my head I imagined the angel/human love stories that were big back when I was a teen that did not pique my interest. But, again, my head t
    Ashlee » Library In The Country
    LOOK AT THIS.
    i v a n a
    * Thank you to Edelweiss for the ARC! All opinions my own *

Well that was a wild ride - This book was very different to Nix's other work! I thoroughly enjoyed the transportive world building, and I always am engrossed by his immersive writing; he remains an instant buy author for me because of this. I think the use of angels here was original, especially when one considers the prevalence of such stuff as Cassandra Clare and whatnot, where the depiction is something more superpowered and less
    Tucker
    Jun 30, 2019 marked it as not-released-tbr  ·  review of another edition
    Shelves: reviewed
    this cover is beautiful
    Loretta (Laughing Listener)
    May 2019

JUST GOT APPROVED FOR THIS ON EDELWEISS. BRB GONNA GO WEEP WITH JOY.

Happy crying
    Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
    Never read Sabriel, but I've heard good things and this sounds rather promising
    Kat McCorkle
    Aug 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    Look, y'all. If Garth Nix wrote the phone book, I'd probably read it. BUT. THIS NOVEL. HECK. I could hardly put it down, and now that I'm done, I want to read more.

World building? Amazing. Characters? So well drawn. Magic system? Consistent and creative (fans of the Bartimaeus trilogy by Jonathan Stroud, you should totally read this next). It has a pretty different vibe from the Old Kingdom series, but it's equally amazing. From what I understand, this is a stand-alone novel, but I seriously hop
    Megan Lyons
    Jul 30, 2019 rated it liked it
    2 1/2 stars

This was a solid book in that the writing was competent, the world building was strong, and the pacing was fairly well done. However, I couldn’t help feeling like it was missing something as I was reading it. I really liked the “Abhorsen” trilogy as a teen, as well as “Shade's Children,” so I was really looking forward to this.

I think what was missing here was a connection to the characters. I just didn’t connect to any of them, so I just didn’t really care about what happened to the
    keikii Eats Books
    Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    To read more reviews like this, check out my blog at keikii Eats Books!

83 points, 4 stars

Quote:
    It would have been natural for her to ask how long she had been in the coffin. But that was not her first question. She thought only of what was needful, for her all-consuming plan.

Review:
    I really enjoyed Angel Mage. In part because I really like reading Angels in fantasy. In part because Garth Nix is an amazing writer. And in part because of the influences Garth Nix drew from to create this boo
    Scottie Draughon
    Aug 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
    If you’re a fan of The Three Musketeers and Garth Nix’s previous books, Angel Mage is the book for you.

The characters are realistic and likable. I’m a fan of Agnez in particular as she has all of the swashbuckling qualities of a Musketeer. I also particularly enjoyed the fact that the majority of the characters are women. Not only that, but they are women of color. The representation in this novel is simply fantastic, as it seems that fluidity in sexual attraction is also a completely normal an
    Lauren
    Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Electronic ARC provided by Edelweiss.

I am a huge fan of the Abhorsen series and so I was excited to see a new adult fantasy from Garth Nix. The book was overall a fun read with a fantasy setting that resembles the world of Dumas' Musketeers. The four main characters are all engaging and very different from one another. Several of the supporting characters are also intriguing, and I was pleased to note that Garth Nix was obviously very careful to make many of the main supporting characters women.
    Jessika
    ARC provided by the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fun, diverse Four Musketeers-esque saga, with lots of women and people of color in power, and some pretty solid LGBT rep. So, the world building was really interesting (although fairly verbose, lots of camp/city descriptions that I skimmed) and the magic/Angel system was also not what I expected, but overall it really worked.

But it feels like so much happened but somehow also not enough? The role of Lilliath/what happened
    Nora
    Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
    Nix is always imaginative and puts exciting details into his world building. For me, it took a little while for the story to get going, but things pick up once we meet Agnez, Dorotea, Henri, and Simeon (Dorotea and Agnez are particularly great). Nix’s Abhorsen series is one of my all-time favorites; while this didn’t inspire the same immediate love, it’s a compelling standalone fantasy.

Would recommend to fans of Claire Legrand’s Furyborn; it’s also reminiscent of Tamora Pierce’s Emelan books, in
    Ruth
    May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
    Garth Nix is one of my all time favorite fantasy writers. To this day his Sabriel, the first book in the Abhorsen series, is in my top 5 favorite books.
    In his newest book, Angel Mage, Nix brings both the setting and the characters to life with such detail that I felt like I was right there with Agnes, the musketeer; Dorothea, the icon-maker; Henri, the self defined fortune seeker; and Simeon, a student doctor. Their bound with each other becomes strong with each adventure as they battle Liliath
    Kat
    Jun 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
    After reading #AngelMage by Garth Nix, I can say that I will be reading more of his novels. A story of love, power, and a long awaited journey. Liliath has a need to find her lover, but at the cost of so many others lives. I found her to be a fascinating character. We always want to call people good or evil but her need of finding her love sets so many things in motion. Garth Nix has a wonderful fantasy novel with Angel Mage.
    Thank you to HarperCollins and Edelweiss for the E-arc copy of this nov
    Mariana Calderon
    We need more books for the modern reader that are inspired by / are re-writes of great classics. ANGEL MAGE fits that need nicely.
    Strong and unique world-building combine well with a classic "rag-tag group of misfits" cast.
    For me, those characters fell a little flat until about halfway through the book, but the magic and world Nix created kept me reading until I got to that point. All things considered, this is a definite hand-sell for me!
    Sara
    Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
    Shelves: fantasy, ya-books
    Thanks for the ARC! This is the 3 musketeers, but with angel magic and a much better gender balance. I love the magic system with angels being summonable with icons.
    Nathan
    Aug 05, 2019 rated it did not like it
    Not finishing. Too damn convoluted.
    Di
    Review to follow
    Beth
    May 28, 2019 rated it liked it
    ARC from edelweiss

I did like the uniqueness of this story but the characters didn’t quite grip me enough.
    Amanda (MetalPhantasmReads)
    Jun 11, 2019 is currently reading it
    ARC from Edelweiss just today!!! *freaking out* Thank you Edelweiss and HarperTeen
    Beverly Freese
    Claire Long
    Sep 13, 2019
    Sam
    Jan 21, 2019
    Garth Nix was born in 1963 in Melbourne, Australia, to the sound of the Salvation Army band outside playing 'Hail the Conquering Hero Comes' or possibly 'Roll Out the Barrel'. Garth left Melbourne at an early age for Canberra (the federal capital) and stayed there till he was nineteen, when he left to drive around the UK in a beat-up Austin with a boot full of books and a Silver-Reed typewriter.

De