Start by marking “Greatest Enemy (David Rivers #1)” as Want to Read:
Greatest Enemy (David Rivers #1)

Greatest Enemy

(David Rivers #1)

“Jason Kasper’s David Rivers series boils with bold action, exotic locales, and spellbinding intrigue.” Mark Greaney, #1 NYT Bestselling Author of the Gray Man series

David Rivers is an Army Ranger—a combat veteran of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq. He has almost completed his final year at West Point when his world is turned upside down by a sudden discharge from militar

Published September 2018 (first published November 28th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Greatest Enemy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Greatest Enemy

Michael Slavin
This was a very exciting book. I didn’t like the main character, he has many flaws, but then I remembered you don’t have to like a character; he just needs to be interesting. Well, the main character David Rivers is defiantly interesting. He has issues! Rivers is a highly trained combat vet, he Graduates West Point but doesn’t get commissioned.

With no military career ahead and an obsession with suicide, he is recruited and joins an elite, illegal, merciless group of assassins.

Will he kill himse
Julie
Dec 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Impeccably written, engaging, cleverly paced, and unexpectedly deep. From start to finish it is a wild ride. I expected great things from this author, and he has surpassed every one of them. Can't wait for the sequel!
Aiden Bailey
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
In a good way, Greatest Enemy was not what I was expecting, as the story took many twists and turns that I couldn’t see coming and the central themes of the book were very different to most books that define the military thriller fiction.

The main character, David Rivers, is a former U.S. Ranger. A veteran of the Afghan and Iraqi Wars turned thriller seeker and mercenary. Between scenes of brutal violence and military action, much of the story is introspective addressing the mental state of vete
Jim A
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author writes a different type protagonist. While the plot has a 'special ops' team out doing their thing, the main character, Rivers, is suicidal, drinks too much and only 25. Also, he's a BASE junper which plays well into several of the special ops hits.

Conclusion of this story leaves the reader hanging for the next. Not something I appreciate in an author's work. I may or may not bother with the next one.
Glen
Aug 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: men-s-adventure
A suicidal ex-soldier is recruited into a hit team. Things go badly.

Some interesting stuff about the psyche of a suicidal man, but most of the rest is shallow, with no verisimilitude. Nothing seems real, and there's no rhyme or reason to much of anything.

A good first try, but needs some polish and maybe some writer's workshops.
C.E. Clayton
“Jais” or "Greatest Enemy" (I read the Jais titled one but the books are the same) is the story of a struggling soldier trying to escape his demons by becoming an adrenaline junkie, whose ultimate thrill comes in escaping death while simultaneously dancing with his suicidal impulses. David Rivers believes he has nothing left after the army, until his final bloody score turns into a new beginning. Que private military contractor’s being hired out to do less than legal things, shall we say? When D ...more
Stephen
Mar 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm going to read the next one.

Dark, and obsessed with death, a roller coaster of violence and enigmatic characters. It could have ended up as yet another formulaic thriller, but it does it well enough to escape that fate for me. Some of the descents into the main characters damaged psyche could have been a tad less self indulgent but they are certainly part of the story. I want more detail so that I can enter live the life of an antihero more fully, Walter Mitty that I am. I think that the deta
Barbara
Awful dialogue and character development. Do NOT waste your time. A trial to finish and I can read ANYTHING!!! You need to care about the characters of a story and all I wanted was for this book to be OVER. Didn't care who got killed as long as it ended.
Ross
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, military
A gripping read by a talented young author. This book begins the saga of David Rivers, an Army Ranger who has experienced more of life by the age of twenty five than most men manage in the entirety of their three-score-and-ten. Life's ups and downs, to include surviving a nighttime parachute assault in the harrowing invasion of Iraq, have driven David down a dark path. He's already begun flirting with death via skydiving. He then begins illicitly BASE jumping while he's attending West Point to f ...more
Patricia j Brackett
Worst book I have ever read

The whole suicide theme is ridiculous and immature. Impossible to suspend your disbelief. Author is scuba diving in the baby pool. I forced myself to finish the book which paralleled the supposed pain of the main character. Fortunately, I survived and will live to read another day (and different author).
Lisa
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Greatest Enemy by Jason Kasper is book one of the David Rivers series and an explosive way to start. It is a roller coaster ride, full of action and suspense, that will you have rushing to the end.

David Rivers is adrift in life and suffering from PTSD from tours in Afghanistan and Iraq as an Army Ranger. Since his release from the military, he has become an alcoholic with suicidal tendencies and is in desperate need of an intervention. He gets one of sorts, just not in the form he truly needs.
Todd Simpson
Oct 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Simply Brilliant. It’s easy to see that Jason Kasper knows this subject very well, with his background in Special Forces, but what he’s done really well is putting together a highly entertaining and interesting plot, that had me glued to the pages for hours. David Rivers is a great character, and I really enjoyed his dry sense of humour and quit wit. The action scenes are fantastic, and it’s really just a great story.
David Rivers pretty much lives in his own world, and he’s not used to relying o
Schuyler Wallace

I’ve been commenting lately on the number of protagonists found in action and adventure novels who have demons to overcome as they fight bad guys. Jason Kasper, in his first book, “Jais,” has stepped it up a notch by having his hero on a suicide trip, always sticking a gun in his mouth and threatening to do himself in.

The author, in my opinion, should find a kinder way to endear his hero, David Rivers, to readers. It’s obvious this is the start of a series and I, for one, have already grown tire
Robert Enzenauer
WOW! It is very rare for me to give an author's first novel a five-star rating But Jason Kasper's JAIS (David Rivers Book 1) definitely deserves the highest rating. The novel moves very fast, and it is very hard to put down. I read in two days. The author's prior personal experience in both combat and BASE jumper gives the details of fighting and jumping an incredible realistic grit. Like many of the great authors of this genre, the main character is tragically flawed, but the read really cares ...more
Bill Thibadeau
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not just a story, it is an adventure

I had never heard of this author but picked up the novel because it sounded interesting. This debut novel is simply fantastic and rivals established authors. It is written by someone who has lived the special forces life.. not only that, the author has brought that life to the written page in startling detail. I felt like I was a fly on the wall throughout..

The characters all came to life - no matter how minor their part. Realistic is an understatement.
Bravo
James Yaklin
Oct 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What an incredible waste of time. This, by far, has got to be the worst book I've read all year. Seriously, who enjoys reading this type of garbage?

Let's start with my pet peeve, first person stories. Now admittedly first person perspective does work for some things - Far North comes to mind as it was written in first person but was supposed to be the journal of the main character. But one genre that this couldn't possibly work for is an action thriller. How are you going to write exciting descr
Bob
Jun 01, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
David Rivers is a vet, West Point grad who can't continue due to a heart problem and a very troubled person. He seems to have death wish, a drinking problem and tempts fate by BASE jumping. When he kills a man who has been stalking his girl friend he finds himself co-opted into a small group that is working for a shadowy person who has them going after selected people for reasons that David is never told. David is the new man in the group and slow to be accepted except for his talents at BASE ju ...more
Susan  Fox
Feb 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Jason Kasper is by far one of the most exciting authors I’ve discovered on Amazon UnLimited! The depth of his characters, a plot that keeps you breathlessly engaged and wondering if we really have black ops operators like this carrying out missions makes for the 5 star rating. And also the dark, morbid humor during combat is absolutely hilarious, making me think Jason has first hand experience. Love his books. I read an Amazon Review written by a guy that said he didn’t like the main character, ...more
Angela Merritt
Sep 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Riveting, hair raising action thriller!

If your into lots of hair raising action, this should be your roller coaster ride of choice! The main character is as flawed as they come, yet there is something about him that keeps you intrigued to the point of thinking about him long after you put the book down!
This story is gutsy and full of action and violence...yet the story line is a mystery. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves a complex flawed character and a lot of action!
Ed
May 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For a number of reasons, West Point cadet David Rivers is suicidal. He tempts death by Jumping off buildings and towers, opening his parachute at the very last minute. After graduation, he's gets drafted by a private spec ops team that need his "Base Jumping" skills for a mysterious assassination. Risking violent death on every mission is a win win for David so he's all in. Unfortunately, masterfully drawn characters, snappy dialogue and sharp combat action don't pay the band with a lame cliffha ...more
James Morenz
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great First Book

After reading the description of the story, I decided to take a chance! I was very pleasantly surprised! The detail and accuracy of subject matter was impressive. The story line would make for a great movie. I am looking forward to the next book and David's plan to eliminate the mastermind responsible for the destruction of his entire team. Great story, well developed characters! On par with the top writers in the genre!
Lorene
Aug 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
JAIS is the story of a man that was in the military. He then went to West Point but before graduating he was disqualified from service due to a medical condition. He graduated and was discharged but he did not know what to do with his life. He was recruited into a paramilitary organization. This is the story of his first missions. It had a lot of action but there was a good storyline. The plot felt a little thin in places.
Bern Callahan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I wanted to turn the next page, to find out what happened. That's exactly what I look for in a thriller. I found it interesting, that even though the hero, David, is a villain, a murderer and psychopath, I still identified with his struggle and journey. Halfway through the book, I wondered how Kasper took me there. Upon finishing "Greatest Enemy," my answer is, through good writing and a compelling theme: what is it like to want to constantly kill yourself?
Thomas L Getchell
Apr 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Locked, Cocked and Ready to Rock

This book is common ground for Vets. Some explications of terms were tedious, but that for the Civies who don’t understand.
It’s easy to identify the author as a Vet, his verbiage and thought pattern hit the mark although, there was some added drama that could of been left out, but again it’s for the Civies. The mental direst is real after combat. Some deal with it better and some worst, but there’s always scares.
Douglas Hitchens
Sep 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Captures Vereran struggles!

I love books written by fellow vets, it helps put into words the things that I never knew how to verbalize, without adding too many details of the true life that we already see at night. Thank you so much for putting into words the thoughts that other vets fear we are alone with. Reading of David’s struggles reminds me that, although I’m in a better place, not all of our brothers are, and it’s up to those like me to help get them away from their own .454. Thank you, Si
Jeane
Dec 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book in the David Rivers Series, and it is FANTASTIC! We are introduced to David Rivers as he is unhappily discharged from the Army, and begins his first adventure. The character is richly developed, and the action is fast-paced and non-stop with a lot of unexpected twists and turns. The end of the book leaves you longing for the next book in the Series, and you will not be disappointed!
Robert C
Jul 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As so many others have pointed out, the main character is engaging. The reader gets to know him, the reader may not like him but does get to know him.
The story is from his point of view. That point of view is very clouded by personal misery. He never questions the morality of his actions because he is already most of the way to being dead.
In all, a very realistic protagonist in a non-stop action world.
Doug Branscombe
Sep 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit dark, David Rivers lives on the edge, a product of the Foster Care system, an army vet, a West Point grad. He's never really felt like he fit in, lives on the edge BASE jumping flirting with death. He finds himself recruited by a mercenary group because of his skills. It's an ecclectic group where he finds some sense of purpose, but at what cost.....
John
May 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good first novel

I enjoyed reading this story about a former soldier who lives on the ragged edge. He becomes a member of a group of contract killers. But he has an issue with constantly wanting to commit suicide. I struggled to track the story a couple of times. But I would read another story but the author.
BonusMom
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story

This is a very good novel, well written, with deep insights into this mind of a veteran and subsequent killer, with suicidal tendencies. There was more killing than I was comfortable with, but overall the book was good. I will get the next one but I will wait a bit to allow my mind to mellow.
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Bloodshot, Volume 3: Harbinger Wars
  • All-Star Batman #1
  • Suicide Squad: Rebirth #1
  • The Tenth Circle (Blaine McCracken #11)
  • Daredevil/Punisher: Seventh Circle
  • We Stand On Guard #2
  • Infestation
  • The Wild Storm, Vol. 2
  • Dead Team Alpha (Dead Team Alpha, #1)
  • New Suicide Squad, Volume 2: Monsters
  • Ghosts (John Milton #4)
  • PRIMAL Inception (PRIMAL #0.5)
  • The Blades: SAS Special Operations Force (The Blades SAS Series Book 1)
  • Bloodshot Reborn, Volume 1: Colorado
  • Suicide Squad, Volume 5: Walled In
  • Cold Barrel Zero (John Hayes, #1)
  • S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Southern Comfort
  • Nightbringer
Jason Kasper is the international bestselling author of action thriller novels. He served in the US Army, beginning as a Ranger private and ending as a Green Beret captain. Jason is a West Point graduate and a veteran of the Afghanistan and Iraq wars, and was an avid ultramarathon runner, skydiver, and BASE jumper, all of which inspire his fiction.

Click FOLLOW AUTHOR for instant notification of n

David Rivers (5 books)
  • Offer of Revenge (David Rivers #2)
  • Dark Redemption (David Rivers #3)
  • Vengeance Calling (David Rivers #4)
  • The Suicide Cartel (David Rivers #5)
“The house was silent, and I passed through its shadows like a ghost.” 1 likes