Start by marking “Forerunner (AI Fleet Book 1)” as Want to Read:
Forerunner (AI Fleet Book 1)

Forerunner (AI Fleet Book 1)

A fleet of warships operated by the digitized minds of former humans.
An unknown enemy lurking in the dark of space.
The one man who hopes to conquer them both.

Jain was the lieutenant commander of an elite SEAL team. He was accustomed to order and discipline, which he used to give the men under his command that particular brand of killer instinct his unit was known for.

B
Published September 24th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Forerunner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Forerunner

Zigmar
Jun 15, 2019 rated it it was ok
tl;dr: A cringe-worthy garbage, don't waste your time on it

I may be somewhat spoiled by mostly reading good sci-fi from acclaimed authors, and didn't have high expectation while deciding to read a book by unknown author enticed by what seemed like an interesting premise. But I really didn't expect utter trashy garbage like it turned to be, especially not with a relatively high rating like it has. The plot and world building made no sense whatsoever (e.g. why do they keep years old pre-training b
Mike Crate
May 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Humanity's journey into the galaxy is handled by advanced starships built for specific goals and controlled by an onboard AI modelled on what once was a living breathing human being. The logistics and expense of building human crewed ships for exploration and defence forced the leap in technologies required to successfully copy a human consciousness and incorporate it into a computing device of incredible complexity and power but what if something goes wrong...
A mind awakes and learns that it is
Grace Vincent
Nov 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great story!

Written in the MindRefurb universe but several years, centuries?, have passed. Now earth has the ability to put minds in control of space ships as the controlling AI and they are almost indestructible.
As a human Jain was a navy seal when he volunteered for the program to be able to command a spaceship. When he comes on line he realizes he had lost most of his recent memory and almost all of his past. He discovers he is now an AI in a ship. He has an assistant his mind created that h
Norma
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"On the whim of some second rate admiral."
" Where am i? Where is my body? " When Jain awoke he seemed to be floating in deep space. And he was: his Accompanying A.I. let him view himself from outside. Jain was now a spaceship, a mind refurb - a human implanted into a machine, becoming that machine. Is he still human? The mind refurbs themselves, in the past, have often debated this very notion.
And with him are five other ships, each mind refurb controlled. Together, they are The Space Machinist
Peggy
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Interesting

This book has an interesting concept, one I haven't run across before. I very much enjoyed this aspect of the book and plan to read on to the sequel.

There are flaws in the book, though. It is good hard science fiction, but quite often it gets bogged down with too much complexity regarding the minutiae and loses the flow of the story. The background of the crew could also be explored further to help the reader establish more of a connection with them.

Overall, Mr. Hooke seemed to beco
Sean Carroll
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, easy to read

Isaac Hooke is new to me. His first AI fleet book is a great sci-fi read, easy to.get through and not too heavy on the science fiction bits. It is a little undeveloped in some areas when compared to other authors, but as it stands I really enjoyed this book and found it to be a refreshing new read that helped me relax into an easy to get into story at the end of a days work. It was super easy honour down and pick up throughout the week. I would recommend it to anyone.
Travis
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
I was surprised at this book, it's not the typical thing this author writes, but I really liked it,
If you like Jack Campbell's series with Blackjack, then you'll probably like this one, they're both fighting against impossible odds, and doing the best they can to sae their home worlds, even if the people they're fighting for don't know or care it's happening. Very good stuff here, and I certainly hope there's more in the series, I'm adding this series to my watch list to be sure. Very well done
Michael James Dillon
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Wow just wow.

I thought these books were going to get any better and damn they got way better!

If you like somebody trying to figure their way, out against large odds, then this is the book for you because I really enjoyed it.

A great deal of action, thinking and deciding what human and non-human is, and of course never-ending stupidity of military thinking. By this book it's worth the money!
Norman
Sep 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Jain wakes up to fine himself as an AI in a spaceship. He then finds 5 more AI both males and female in the same situation and noone knows what happened.They then find an alien spaceship which provokes them but to fight but ends up in a drwa. Later they meet a fleet from Earth who does not believe their tale and tehy must fight them also .Luckily they have a rift craft and they can leave but meet the alien spaceship again. A well written book and a surprised ending.
Billy Barfield
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
He does It again

The a whole new group of mind refurbs are back. As with his other series he has brought us to a new place, time and a new group to explore the reaches of space , and their own “humanity”. Oh and a serious amount of explosions, space battles, and death. I can’t wait to read the next one. If Mr. Hooke happens to read this then .. hell of a great job sir...hell of a great job.
Jason
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I bought this while I was in the airport before a long flight. The flight went by in the blink of an eye!

I really like the overall idea of the book (Mind Refurbs) and the way the author approached their lives as ships. The action in the book is super well thought out, and very satisfying. I am looking forward to the next one in the series.
Jed
Jan 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Too slow

The story overall was interesting, unfortunately it didn’t move quickly enough. There were too many details about the minutia of AI living and not enough conflict and story progression. However, the writing was good and the conflicts that did happen were well written and fun to read. I plan to continue reading and hope the pacing improves.
Leslie Baptiste
Sep 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book, but same old story.

I enjoyed the book, I enjoyed the character, but same old story. Good guys fighting aliens with inferior technology always the underdog. I would like to see a sequel with the good guys having superior technology and whipping the aliens back sides. Will be awaiting the next book if he writes a sequel, you will enjoy this book as well.
Chris S
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
well i got to dk maybe 30 percent but then stopped, the thing is its just poorly executed.
We have a bunch of ex human now AIs who in the end then play human again, we dont get to see much of them as starships because the 30 % i read only played in their vr.
the only thing he adds through the hole starship/AI thing are discussions about the spoul and god and thats it.
juliette dempsey
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Human brain starships

An amazing sci-fi action novel. The view point of the human brain uploaded into a starship is an unusually entertaining concept and I loved every page.
Great characters with realistic situations and lots of action and adventure.
Aliens and swarm robots attack. Our heroes escape........for now.
I look forward to more from this series 😁
Richard Morton
Oct 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Like D&D with spaceships.

Forerunner makes me think, most of all, of a Dungeons & Dragons party-group adventure story with the characters as spaceships.

Some of it aspires to be hard sci-fi in a way that just falls flat with a lot of the elements in it which are anything but, but overall it was a very good, enjoyable read.
Rob Enderle
Oct 04, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the plot and concept but the amount of dialog wore on me and I found I had to push to finish the book. I prefer staying in the action and not having characters constantly argue about things like the meaning of life, existence or … I get way to much of this in real life and prefer my entertainment to be entertainment an extension of real life verbal conflict. So three stars...
Frank Bertino
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AI Power

Jain is a MindReferb, a human mind digitized with a space ship for a body. He awakens with no knowledge of what has happened to him. His companions find themselves in a similar situation. The action starts, and builds in a crescendo to the end. Jain is a competent character. I look forward to the next book.
Roger
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I’ve read so many Isaac Hooke books that I’ve lost track, but everything that made you love his writing before is present in this new adventure, Forerunner, the first book of the AI Fleet series. Hooke's changed it up again in this adventure with all the main characters being AIs! I hope to read more from Isaac Hooke in future works.
Minga Dotson
Sep 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on space exploration and the problems that exploration can run into.

Nice solid story that keeps moving, with twists on the reanimation of a human mind, and questions on the topic of having a soul when you are a copy of a human mind.
john marsh
Dec 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
Disappointed!

For a "Best selling author", I thought this would have been a better read. The beginning was a waste of time and read like a teenager wrote it. A lot of the story just didn't make sense and had poor flow. Done with Isaac.
Jerry Thurber
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was an unexpected find. I enjoyed the fast paced adventure but the highlight of the book was the clever science. Isaac knows his stuff and does a great job of integrating believable (even if extraordinary) science into this book. Clever concept, well crafted.
Shelee Whitaker
Oct 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Next please

I hate to type, but l liked this book so here goes. If your consciousness is in a machine then you are still the same person, just almost immortal. So all ahead full, to the center of the core worlds.
Philip Jones
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed reading

Enjoyed reading different kind of tale than I usually read mind referb AI controlled ships battling an unknown powerful alien something. Will be looking for a continuing sequel.
Mike Goodman
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
After beginning Very Good

The beginning of this book has editorial issues with every other chapter repeating. This story of soldiers uploading into war space ships fighting hive mind aliens is very entertaining story.
john s moore
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A good read for new to the refurbs

A good read for the ones new to the refurb minds. I had started with this and lost my place but in a way was glad in the end as ended up reading the whole book twice. Look forward to reading the stories of the ship refurbs
Winston Allen
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very Good

I was skeptical. I thought this was gonna be another Bobiverse ripoff. It's not. This book is its own beautiful animal.
Tyson
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good start

I'm enjoying it so far. It's a good start to the series and hopefully it continues on with a deeper plot
Raymond Bailey
Jan 09, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dislike
My personal dislike of "Sword-Bearing" Starships made me shelve this. Too much like Dungeons and dragons dressed up with AI.
Gary R Thomas
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Enthralling

I can't wait to read the next installment.
Theroughly enjoyed this one. AI does all of the planning and fighting.

• Finding Keepers (Annihilation, #7)
  • The Trilisk Revolution (Parker Interstellar Travels, #5)
  • Translight (Galactic Alliance, #1)
  • AMP Private War (AMP, #2)
  • Waking Titan (The Ruins of Mars, #2)
  • Battle Earth IV (Battle Earth #4)
  • Retaliation (The Slaver Wars, #5)
  • The Crucible (The Ember War Saga, #8)
  • Fermi's War (Battlecruiser Alamo, #2)
  • The Last World War
  • The Ripple in Space-Time
  • Element-X
  • ALICE (Alice #1)
  • Democracy's Right (Democracy's Right, #1)
Isaac Hooke is the best-selling author of the Ethan Galaal series of thriller novels, as well as the SF-themed ATLAS trilogy. When Isaac isn't writing, publishing, and blogging, he's busy cycling and taking pictures in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. He has a degree in Engineering Physics.

You can follow Isaac on Twitter @IsaacHooke and his website http://IsaacHooke.com.
“the latter often collected in layers of annealed ice known as “glaze.” 0 likes