Start by marking “Flirting with Forty” as Want to Read:
Flirting with Forty

Flirting with Forty

He got the second home and the Porsche. She got the kids and a broken heart. Now Jackie, post-divorce and heading toward the big four-oh, is on vacation in sunny Hawaii and staring down her upcoming birthday-alone. But not for long. She's soon falling for Kai, her gorgeous, much younger surf instructor, and the wild passionate fling they have becomes the biggest surprise ...more
Published July 13th 2006 by 5 Spot

To ask other readers questions about Flirting with Forty, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flirting with Forty

Can You Keep a Secret? by Sophie KinsellaSomething Borrowed by Emily GiffinConfessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie KinsellaBridget Jones's Diary by Helen FieldingTwilight by Stephenie Meyer
Chick Lit for the Beach
1,246 books — 1,778 voters
Seducing Cinderella by Gina L. MaxwellFighting for Irish by Gina L. MaxwellRules of Entanglement by Gina L. MaxwellFighting Destiny by Amelia HutchinsHard as It Gets by Laura Kaye
Covergasms!
1,153 books — 939 voters

More lists with this book...

Start your review of Flirting with Forty
Alex is The Romance Fox
I enjoyed reading this book. The characters were likeable and I liked the fact that the heroine was in her 40's.

Sexy, sweet and very easy reading.

I must be honest and say that I much prefer her Mills & Boon books!!! In fact she's one of my favourite M&B authors and I wish she would write more of those.

Oh, I did watch the TV movie which wasn['t too bad!!!!
Allison
Nov 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jane Porter has written an amazing book about a woman caught in the middle of her life, 40, not knowing what direction her life is taking her. Jackie is a mother, ex-wife and alone, until her girlfriend gives her a trip to Hawaii for them to take for her 40th birthday. After her girlfriend has something come up and she can't make it, Jackie is once again alone with her thoughts about what is missing in her life. Not knowing what to do with herself, she finds Kai. He is handsome, tanned, younger, ...more
Obsidian
Nov 05, 2015 rated it liked it
So first and foremost the only reason I really did run out and get this book was because I had read some of Jane Porter's books in the past, and this was a Lifetime movie on t.v. a few years ago. I remember it coming on around Christmas and I got a kick out of the t.v. movie.

Told in the first person, the main character is 39 year old Jackie. Jackie has two kids and is still reeling from a divorce. Dealing with a hard hearted ex-husband and feeling at sea with her life at the moment. She is
Ellenjsmellen
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
Just finished Odd Mom Out and loved it. Enjoyed this too.
Dawn CM
Aug 29, 2015 rated it liked it
Initially I didn't like this book at all, but as I continued to read there were things I did really like - especially that feeling a woman/mother/wife has of disappearing, or losing herself. Of needing adventure. Of feeling so very insignificant. I didn't love any of the characters really but overall I liked it in the end. Actually, I liked the feeling of the book, but not really the book itself if that makes sense? A very quick beach read.
Carla
Sep 19, 2007 rated it did not like it
well can i say booooooooo....
i'm less than two weeks from being 40 and hate to think of a woman being this insecure and needy. she can't define herself outside of a relationship, her weight, hair, clothes. not a book i would recommend, only finished it because i was bored on the eliptical machine and needed a light read. don't waste your time.
Jessie
Jan 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I have read this book several times in my life but now that I’m actually 40, this book took on a whole new depth. ...more
Aurian Booklover
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
I am not a big fan of woman’s fiction, but I met Jane Porter at LLC Berlin 2014, and so I wanted to read one of her books. I found this one second hand, and as I am around this age myself, I just had to read it.
I have to admit I did struggle with it some times, as Jackie is going through some severe depression and gets lots of critique from her friends. She is divorced, because her husband cheated on her, and they had grown apart. Jackie has two young children to take care of, the housework of
Deena
Jan 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: novel
This was a fast, easy read (good for the beach, which is what I'd had in mind), filled with cliches, just as I figured it would be based on ready the back cover. But, I did take away some useful nuggets relating to my own outlook on life as I myself approach 40.
Julie Barrett
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
flirting with forty by jane porter
she's 40 and it's Christmas. So getting the tree up on top of her car, dragging it to the house after dropping it from the roof of the car,
onto her cream color living room carpet and there is sap over everything, rug, clothes, furtniture. she doens't even have a saw to trim the trees
for it to be able to put the tree in the stand. What else can go wrong and why does she have nothing but he got the vacation home, the Porsche and the
20 year old girlfriend.
She goes
Celia Kennedy
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I never preface my reviews by saying what I think a five star novel is, but when asked I say Charles Dickens, Jane Austen, F Scott Fitzgerald or JK Rowling. I read all genre and across the timeline - that is to say I've read all these authors, and their works are dynamically different.

For me to give this book four stars is significant.

What I enjoy about Ms. Porters work the most is that she get's to the gristle on the bone very quickly. It is both this skill, her visual descriptions, as well as
Barrie Gardner
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was ok
Michelle
Jul 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Jackie is a Seattle interior Designer, mom of 2, and divorced.
She's on the brink of her 40th birthday. Her girlfriends get together and decide to send her on a trip to HI as a girls getaway.
Her ex husband Daniel is a nightmare. She faces the self doubt that all women face day in day out..am I good enough, pretty enough, successful enough, a good enough mom??
This book really resonated with me. Her inner conflicts felt so REAL.
I find that women do constantly measure ourselves against other women
Shelly Sievert
Nov 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
Overall, this book was somewhat entertaining but I didn't care for the following:

-Jackie was very whiney through out the whole book. I am going through a divorce right now and please don't tell me that I whine like that.
-Considering that Jackie is a business owner and mother, I was surprised that she was struggling so much with herself.
-Overall, the book seemed disjointed - Jackie's friends were really hard on her about her relationship with Kai. Once she decided to stand up for herself, I was
Liz Talley
Jul 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
Definte 4 1/2 stars.

Engaging story and the main character, Jackie, is so identifiable. I'm not flirting with forty - I'm past it. But I could definitely relate. I think my favorite part was when she tried surfing and she was worried about her butt and cellulite while paddling out. It's funny about the things we're self-conscious about and Jane Porter really nails the authentic emotions when one is trying to find a new path for herself. I sent this book on to my mother who is also enjoying it.
Season
Mar 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this story and maybe because Hawaii is my favorite place in the whole world. Jackie was a very likable character. I really felt for all that she has been through. I thought all her friends really weren't there for her in the her time of need the way I hope my friends are there for me. In the end they all admitted that they were wrong, but I would hope that at least one friend would be on my side for the duration.

Overall great characters, but very normal everyday like characters.

Elle
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I didn't expect to absolutely love this book but I do. I really do. It is about Jackie Laurens and how an expected trip to Hawaii makes her question her happiness and her way of life. It awakens her to what she wants and what her needs are as well as her role as someone who is approaching mid life. I myself am in this predicament and certain questions have arisen and I feel that I'm not alone in asking myself these questions. I so appreciate the stance Porter comes with. You can sense the ...more
Diana
Oct 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've read this countless times, but I wanted to read it again and I still love it. Our main character is divorced and struggling to find her spot in her community. Her friends are married and they want to live through her, but not really.

I love the idea of an island romance that turns serious. I also understand why her friends are so worried about her but dammit, people need to understand that everyone's idea of happy is different. Money, success, power, and status can only take you so far
Aura
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was such a fun read. Jackie is turning forty and she is not coping with divorce and being a single mom well. She is given a Hawaiian vacation by friends and there she meets 20 something hunky surf instructor Kai. This book was a lot of fun to read and a perfect escapist type of story. I think I have read other similar romances but Jane Porter always gives top notch modern romances that are easy and fun.
Angel Suarez
Aug 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AHH!! OK so I totally loved this book! uh just such a fun good romance novel, exactly when I needed it most in life. I was laughing at some parts, feeling risque at others, and also cried. But the ending was the best, I literally giggled and jumped up and down for joy. It it so good to read novels like this again, which provide readers with hope and a zest for life. Oh Jane Porter, you pulled at my heart strings. P.S. Such a quick read as well :)
Caroline Brasfield-Carter
May 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
Interesting to see the relationship that this main character has with her core circle of friends and how it somewhat changes once she morphs in life and changes from who they once knew. Fun romance and was definitely a book I whipped through after the 2nd chapter and didn't want to put down! Book offered some good food for thought in many areas that as a mom and a wife I can relate.
Sami
Sep 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: keepers
I laughed in the beginning, felt Jackie's pain in the middle, saw so much of myself throughout (the birthday cake scene could have been written about me, which is kind of scary), and cried at the end when she got what she deserved after going through so much. This was my first Jane Porter but I'll surely be reading many more.
Patti Masuda
This book gets ZERO stars from me although most everyone in my book club enjoyed it. i took this book on a getaway to Mexico thinking it would be a relaxing beach read. it wasnt! most depressing and i did not, nor do i ever want to relate to this book in anyway. i disliked it so much i left it at the resort.
Susan
Mar 11, 2009 rated it liked it
A little too much ruminating on the part of the protagonist, but otherwise a nice, fun, fluffy book. Just what I was looking for after meeting a book deadline and feeling like my brain was fried. I haven't seen the Lifetime movie basied on FLIRTING WITH FORTY, but now I'm curious about it. I'll have to check and see if it's coming on again this summer!
Amanda
Apr 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing

I was swept away with this story. Honestly, Flirting with Forty did not read like a book at all. Jane Porter poured so much reality and emotions into this story that if I didn’t know better would have sworn Jackie is someone real! Engaging, fresh, and fun...this book should definitely be on your reading list!

Highly Recommended
5 Stars
Christina Salem
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it
I loved this book...I love reading about strong women starting a new life and living it to her fullest. After reading this book I noticed that a movie as made based on this movie. I was FINALLY able to watch it but as always I found the book is SO MUCH better. This was the first book I've read from this author and it will not be my last.
R
Apr 08, 2016 added it
I really wanted the main character to make a decision, have an epiphany, stop dithering! I didnt overly like her, but I did feel that many things that she went through were somewhat true to life. I also feel like it wrapped up too neatly.
Lynda
Mar 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: People who love women's fiction with depth, people recovering from divorce
This book has so much depth and true female emotion. I had it on my TBR list forever, and I can't believe I waited so long to pick it up. It's being made into a Lifetime TV movie starring Heather Locklear, and I can't wait. I can't wait to hear who they cast for the role of Kai...
Angie
Jul 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. It is a light hearted struggle for a divorced woman facing middle age and trying to find herself. Not only is it funny but there is some romance in there as well.
Gretchen
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Wow, this one sure hit home. Wish I had the means to make some changes like this in my life.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Lifetime Movie Debut 1 22 Nov 14, 2008 03:45PM

• Eggnog Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #23.5)
  • Breakfast at the Beach House Hotel (Beach House Hotel #1)
  • The Blue Lion (Cape Danger Book 1)
  • The Cost of Honor (Black Ops Confidential, #3)
  • The Pie Lady: Classic Stories from a Mennonite Cook and Her Friends
  • The Chocolatier
  • Christmas Jars
  • Writing Ain't for Sissies
  • Temporarily Yours: Intimacy, Authenticity, and the Commerce of Sex
  • Murder from Scratch (A Sally Solari Mystery #4)
  • Rustic Hearts (Poplar Falls, #1)
  • A Texas Kind of Christmas
  • Exposed (The Dangerous Distractions, #3)
Born in Visalia, California, I'm a small town girl at heart. I love central California's golden foothills, oak trees, and the miles of farmland. In my mind, there's nothing sweeter in the world than the heady fragrance of orange blossoms on a sultry summer night.

As a little girl I spent hours on my bed, staring out the window, dreaming of far off places, fearless knights, and happy-ever-after