Start by marking “Hazelnuts and Halloween: A Short Cozy Murder Mystery (Pelican Cove Short Story Series Book 1)” as Want to Read:

Halloween Celebrations End With a Washed Up Corpse
Pelican Cove is celebrating Halloween in style. The annual Halloween party at the Boardwalk Cafe brings out the witches and superheroes in full strength. Old timers share Pelican Cove's legends of haunted houses and ghost ships. The unidentified body washed up on the beach, however, dampens the mood the very next morning.

Published September 17th 2018

To ask other readers questions about Hazelnuts and Halloween, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hazelnuts and Halloween

Start your review of Hazelnuts and Halloween: A Short Cozy Murder Mystery (Pelican Cove Short Story Series Book 1)
Babs
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: cozy-mystery
The people in Pelican Cove Rea having a Halloween party at Jenny’s Boardwalk Cafe. They start talking about haunted places, ghost ships and the other side. When a man washes up on shore the town hires Jenny to check it out.

Adam is the sheriff and doesn’t like Jenny stepping on any toes or his investigation. He is really rough around the edges.

With some help Jenny gets on the case.

This is supposed to be an introduction to the series. There were a lot of charters brought in and if you have not
Kayt18
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute

A super quick and fun read. Halloween is a time for mystery and bodies. This short novella has that and more.
Barbara Hackel
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun short story to add to the growing saga of Pelican Cove and their rather high murder rate! It isn't the best place to start the series-obviously that is book one. By the time you have read all the books in the series it is a pleasure to have a short holiday story. In fact at this price, I hope the author considers doing other holidays such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, Valentine's day, etc. Of course I hate to see all those holidays tainted by murder as well, but there may be other ...more
Maus
Sep 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was such a delightful short read! I loved everything about this book, beginning with the darling cover! This was such a fun, light, entertaining read that I was sad when it ended. I enjoyed the descriptions of the the setting as well as the characters. This book is what idyllic Autumn and Halloween are all about! I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a fun and entertaining read! I absolutely loved it! I did receive this book as an ARC in return for my honest opinion.
David Caldwell
Oct 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Short story

Just a quick short story that is mainly an introduction to the series.

It was not a bad read. It reminded me of the type of mysteries you get on the Hallmark Mystery Channel. Decent but not too involved. A couple of small points bothered me though. I still do not feel like I know the characters that well. Also, the last line of the story is not a good place to give the final clue.
Val
Sep 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
Halloween has come to Pelican Cove and Jenny is hosting the Halloween party at the cafe. (Gulp). The cafe is packed and everyone is having a great time until a dead body is found on the beach. Jenny is the prime suspect (again) when its determined he was killed at the cafe. Who was the mystery guy and who killed him? Jenny and the Magnolias set out to solve the mystery and maybe see ghost ship in this hauntingly Great story.
Kat Taylor
Oct 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Who Foiled Halloween

This is a humorous well written short halloween cozey murder mystery. Jenny and the magnolia womans group put on a large halloween costume party. The next morning a body is found on the beach, once again the women turn to Jenny to find out what happened. A short enjoyable read, now i'ts your turn to enjoy "Hazelnuts and Halloween " Kat
Vanessa
Sep 23, 2018 rated it did not like it
This didn't do anything for me. Says it's an good introduction to the series, but perhaps would have enjoyed it more if I knew the characters before hand, but I doubt it. Too many people introduced in a short story to have any character development, (view spoiler)
Sue E
Oct 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Disappointed...

Was hoping for a cute Halloween story, and this just wasn't it. The writing and characters are poor, it's way too hurried through, and I had to laugh at the part where the sheriff blames her for the crime for no real reason, when he supposed to be interested in her ?! … and then in the next page she's fine and walking with him on the beach! seriously ?!
Marcia Ditter
Oct 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read in this series. I was looking for a Halloween read. I liked everything about the book, the cover, the characters, the story.
Will be definitely reading more books in this series.
Kevin Noel
Dec 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A good short mystery

So this was a quaint little mystery, had me guessing who was the killer and i was rather surprised... if you like short reads this is one good little mystery...
Misty
Oct 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Almost didn’t finish

This is the first book I’ve been able to finish from the series. I usually like when the main character dates the officer, but no one should date someone who treats them that way.
Phyllis
Oct 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable uick read.

If you wnt a quick, fast and fun read, this is the book. It's Hlloween in Pelican Cove and there i a big party going on. A body is discovered on the beach and the Magnolias step in to solve the mytery.
Susan
Nov 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
really enjoyed the story, but wish I had read it in order, I'm already caught up with the series and am
patiently waiting for #10 to come out...
Virginia Bast
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Very good

Too short. Great story and I enjoy your stories. Love the main characters. Have to find a other book you've written.
Kim Loomer
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
A trick or treat

The Halloween festival was well written and had interesting people to wonder about with a death to solve. A short story but a good one.
Neena Christianson Martin
Very short.

Jenny triumphs again as she solves another murder. Lots of side issues with Adam that weren't handled well and left things feeling incomplete.
Yvonne Meyer
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Short Story.

This was a very well written short story. I would like to read another of this series. I believe this was the second one I've read.
Tuanna Kelly Carpo
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A very well written story. I enjoyed it.
patricia cruse
rated it did not like it
Oct 30, 2019
Aug 26, 2019
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Cheesecake and Confusion (Peridale Cafe Mystery #18)
  • Murder on Red Mesa Road (Sky High Pies Cozy Mysteries Book 32)
  • Vegetables and Vengeance (Peridale Cafe Cozy Mystery Book 17)
  • A Hint of Murder (Scoops & Snoops Mysteries Book 1)
  • Champagne and Catastrophes (Peridale Cafe Mystery, #14)
  • The Remedy Is Murder (Sky High Pies Cozy Mysteries Book 30)
  • Red Velvet and Revenge (Peridale Cafe Cozy Mystery Book 16)
  • Pilgrim in the Parlor (The Inn at Holiday Bay #6)
  • Carrot Cake & Murder (Sweet Treats Mystery, #7)
  • Wine's Up? (Rosemary Harbor #1)
  • Wedding Cake and Woes (Peridale Cafe Mystery, #15)
  • The Bride Cried Murder (Sky High Pies Cozy Mysteries Book 29)
  • Panic in the Treats (Sweetfern Harbor #16)
  • Murder at the Pet Boutique (Wagging Tail Cozy Mystery #2)
  • A Fortunate Encounter (A Claire Rollins Mystery #6)
  • Cookies with a Side of Danger (A Danger in Treasure Cove Cozy Mystery Book 1)
  • Killer Gingerbread Cupcakes (Cupcakes in Paradise #15)
  • A Vintage View of Murder (Sky High Pies Cozy Mysteries Book 27)
Leena Clover is the author of the best selling Pelican Cove Cozy Mystery series. Her books are fast paced whodunnits, full of yummy food and friendships that last a lifetime.
Visit her website at leenaclover.com to learn more.