Start by marking “Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal” as Want to Read:

Eat vegan—for less!

Between low-paying jobs, car troubles, student loans, vet bills, and trying to pay down credit card debt, Toni Okamoto spent most of her early adult life living paycheck to paycheck. So when she became a vegan at age 20, she worried: How would she be able to afford that kind of lifestyle change?

Then she discovered how to be plant-based on a budget.

Published May 14th 2019 by BenBella Books (first published May 1st 2019)

To ask other readers questions about Plant-Based on a Budget, please sign up.
Jojo There is no preaching in this book! The author approaches it as "Plant-based" which is considered veganism without focusing on ethics. Everything in…moreThere is no preaching in this book! The author approaches it as "Plant-based" which is considered veganism without focusing on ethics. Everything in this is about food and how to save money. Many of the recipes aren't just affordable, but easy to make as well and won't take a lot of time. Perfect for a busy family!(less)

Start your review of Plant-Based on a Budget: Delicious Vegan Recipes for Under $30 a Week, for Less Than 30 Minutes a Meal
Lisa Vegan
I’ve entered to win this book on Goodreads. I can’t remember another time I’ve wanted to win this much. I’d love to own this book. It’s one of the very few cookbooks I’ve read that I’d actually regularly use. The copy I read I borrowed from the library.

Recommended for all people who like to save money and save time, eat healthfully/fairly healthfully, and cook/eat vegan. These really are time saving and money saving and mostly healthy recipes.

This book is all about saving money and all about
Charlene
Jul 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful book with sensible, economical recipes. I am not vegan, but always looking for more ways to get vegetables and healthy grains into my diet.
Book starts off with f author's story of how she adapted the vegan life style as a young woman and needing it to be both healthy and economical.
Some of the ideas are very simple but have never occurred to me (ex: a bagel, spread with hummus and topped with avocado slices for breakfast). Sweet prototypes are a favorite of mine but I've never used
Jojo
Jun 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: giveaways
*4.5

As a vegan of a little over two years, there weren't many new recipes in here for me. That being said, I found it to be a useful reminder of easy and affordable meals I could be making. I also LOVED that the author seems to be as much of a fan of peanut butter as I am! I would recommend this to anyone considering veganism but doesn't think they can afford it. I'm planning on working my way through the cookbook to see how many meals I can add to our meal rotation.

The first recipe I tried was
Megan
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is a gamechanger and makes vegan cooking accessible and affordable, and that alone fills me with a lot of hope and joy. As a fellow vegan who also lived paycheck to paycheck for years and years, cooking healthy and filling meals on a strict budget was really stressful. It felt isolating and grocery shopping/ cooking was just another number crunch. I'm so happy to see someone take this reality and create a resource for folks who are struggling to have some guidance.
Shannon O
May 07, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has some really great recipes. The recipes are also easy to alter for a family that is not vegan. I have a few recipes that I am going to make for my family. I can't wait to try them!
Brittany Sorrell
Jun 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Love the layout of the book, that you have space to add notes to the recipes, and the beautiful vivid pictures. This book has given me ideas on recipes to include in mine and my families lifestyle to increase how many veggies me and my family consume. Looking forward to trying out the different recipes with family and friends.
May 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Since it’s plant based on a budget the recipes are obviously really plain and for beginners, but I can see this being really helpful for someone either on a budget or new to veganism, or both!
Elizabeth Rogers
Jun 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love how every recipe has a place for personal notes. Most of my cookbooks have the notes written in the margins.
Michelle
Jul 15, 2019 is currently reading it
I won a copy of this book through Goodreads. I will have to update this once I try using the recipes, but on first glance this is a really nice book, especially for someone starting out with vegan eating. There are a lot of recipes, all with bright and appealing photos. Many of the recipes are simple and may be too basic for some, but there are things in the book that interest me as a long-time vegetarian, including basic things I have meant to try making at home but haven't. The format of the ...more
Adrienna
Jun 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Nice photos of the foods in the book. Not too many recipes I'll try, but simple and easy to prepare based on instructions.

I didn't like the green smoothie. Made better ones from jj Smith book. I did like the Mexican bowl, simple to make. I loved the black beans with sweet potato and added more seasoning.

Disclaimer: I purchased a copy and giving my honest opinion.
Lisa Withers
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely Love this cookbook!!! My husband had to become Vegan because of medical issues, wow what a change that has been. I am actually feeling so much healthier, if I had only knew earlier in life about being Vegan. This cookbook is a “Life” saver! Being new to this food change can be extremely expensive and that is where this cookbook becomes my kitchen bible........Highly recommend this cookbook, it’s a no brainer.
Ginger
Nov 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
Even before I went plant-based, I read every cookbook I could get my hands on and tried all the recipes that sounded good. There are some pretty good recipes in this one.
Farah
Jul 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This is a great book for those who are new or want to try veganism. It is organized well with lots of great tips and tricks and has beautiful photos (which I always love for cookbooks). A lot of the recipes are simple so those who have been vegan for a while may find it too basic.
Diane Plummer
Jul 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love this book. Going to change some of the ways I eat.
John
May 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Toni is an amazing practical writer who can connect with readers from all walks of life. Enough of the trader Joe's twinkle toes posh vegan lifestyle, Toni provides real ways to be a real person and eat real food while being plant based. Get the book! You won't be sorry.
Janet Martin
Nov 24, 2019 rated it liked it
Why would anyone assume veganism to be expensive? Ok, a lb of quinoa is about $8, but cooking that whole bag would provide at least 12 servings--a lb of brown rice would cost $3 for 8-10 servings. Fresh fruits and veggies out of season are costly, but frozen fruits and veggies are rarely more than a couple of $ per lb, depending on where you shop.

This book has some nice recipes, but I didn't find anything new and wonderful. It is nicely written and should provide some inspiration for beginners.

TerryJane
Nov 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I am an omnivorous, ketogenic (formerly diabetic) in a family with two vegans and two more omnivores. I got this book from the library in the hopes of finding some recipes that we could all share. Unfortunately, the recipes do not include the nutritional information I need to easily determine if they'll work.

However, there are still lots of things to like about this book, especially for the average person who doesn't need to limit their carbs/sugars/starches. Most recipes are simple and frugal,
Amy
Jun 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
While I enjoyed the concept behind the book, there are a few things I wouldn't recommend that the author recommended. Perhaps if desperate times called for desperate measures, yes, but as a general practice? No. For example, hitting up farmers markets at the end of a day, trying to get a better deal by haggling with the farmers....as one who has been on the receiving end of customers attempting to haggle, its poor manners.
Generally speaking, book is average. I will use some of the recipes.
I
Lindsay
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: food-health
Easy simple recipes which are also budget friendly. Perfect for people who are new to veganism. Some things can be made in 5 minutes (smoothie with banana and spinach, apple slices with peanut butter), you will also find several recipes from her previous book.

Some recipes look very similar to others, there are several tofu dishes, noodle dishes, things with beans... all very cheap ingredients for sure but for me personally not a book I would use on a daily base because I would get bored after a
(a)lyss(a)
Sep 15, 2019 rated it liked it
Finally a cook book with good photos!

There is an interesting variety of recipes in this book. Most are a little more intensive than I'd like for a week night or breakfast, but this is a practical guide for creating plant-based meals. There are notes after each recipe from fans and ideas on how to make some of these recipes in an instant pot, but I'm more of a slow cooker fan so the alternative instructions aren't useful. There is also use of plant-based meat alternatives such as tempeh, so the
Ady
Nov 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this cookbook!

I will be taking part in a 7-day plant based challenge soon. I also have goals for the New Year of being more intentional with my dietary choices and getting my finances in order. This cookbook is exactly what I need to start out. I plan to utilize a lot of the recipes in this book to meal plan my plant based diet week. I love that there are snack foods and dips for easy munching... and there are also one-pot meals!
Ellen Zacarias
Aug 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you’re a beginner to cooking vegan food, this will definitely be a great fit. The recipes don’t require a million ingredients or fancy equipment. In fact, the ingredients used are common and accessible. The beginning section also has tips on saving time in the kitchen and saving money on groceries.
Timm McIntosh
Dec 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it! Simple, delicious recipes that even I was able to put together. My favorites from the recipes are the Chilaquiles, Pumpkin Bites, Peanut Butter Balls and the Nacho Cheese. There's really so many more, but those are just a few of my favorites.
❀ Susan G
Nov 19, 2019 rated it liked it
Borrowed this book to find some new meals that our whole
Family can enjoy, respecting our daughter who has become
Pescetarian. I liked that it had easy options with ingredients we already had and have a few recipes to try.
Elna
Oct 29, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not vegan, but I try to eat mostly vegetarian, and these recipes are simple, delicious, and easy to modify.
Heather Hoffman
Oct 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very easy to follow recipes and tips to try. Whether you're vegan or just wanting to eat more plant-based, the recipes and advice make it less daunting.
Kathy Groesser
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great book for anyone wanting to eat WFPB (whole food plant based), and especially on a budget!!!
Logan Jeffrey
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Lifesaving! Do yourself, your animal friends, and the planet a favor.
Ashley
Nov 07, 2019 added it
Some pretty good recipes in here
Jolene Shapiro
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic recipes and beautiful illustrations.

• Mostly Plants: 101 Delicious Flexitarian Recipes from the Pollan Family
  • BOSH!: The Cookbook: Simple Recipes. Amazing Food. All Plants.
  • Let's Make Ramen!: A Comic Book Cookbook
  • Antoni in the Kitchen
  • Forks Over Knives—The Cookbook: Over 300 Recipes for Plant-Based Eating All Through the Year
  • The Engine 2 Seven-Day Rescue Diet: Eat Plants, Lose Weight, Save Your Health
  • Forks Over Knives: Flavor!: Delicious, Whole-Food, Plant-Based Recipes to Cook Every Day
  • Love and Lemons Every Day: More Than 100 Bright, Plant-Forward Recipes for Every Meal
  • The Plantpower Way: Whole Food Plant-Based Recipes and Guidance for The Whole Family
  • Hot for Food Vegan Comfort Classics: 101 Recipes to Feed Your Face
  • The High-Protein Vegan Cookbook: 125+ Hearty Plant-Based Recipes
  • Vegan Meal Prep: Ready-To-Go Meals and Snacks for Healthy Plant-Based Eating
  • The College Vegan Cookbook: 145 Affordable, Healthy & Delicious Plant-Based Recipes
  • Indistractable: How to Control Your Attention and Choose Your Life
  • Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease: The Revolutionary, Scientifically Proven, Nutrition-Based Cure
  • The Vanderbeekers to the Rescue (The Vanderbeekers #3)
  • The Adventurous Eaters Club: Mastering the Art of Family Mealtime
  • Mayim's Vegan Table: More than 100 Great-Tasting and Healthy Recipes from My Family to Yours
“2.​Pressing Tofu: This is far simpler than it sounds. Here’s how to press it like a pro: slice open the package of tofu with a knife, pour out the water, slice the tofu, and wrap each slice in a clean kitchen towel while pressing the excess water out, which is absorbed by the kitchen towel. That’s all. Just get the excess water out. People also use paper towels to do it, but it’s wasteful and costs more money, so I stick to clean kitchen towels. You can also wrap the tofu in a towel and put something heavy on it like a book to press it for a few minutes while you prep other things.” 0 likes