Start by marking “Enough! 20 Protesters Who Changed America” as Want to Read:
Enough! 20 Protesters Who Changed America

Enough! 20 Protesters Who Changed America

From Samuel Adams to the students from Parkland, march through history with the heroic revolutionary protesters who changed America.
Published September 18th 2018 by Crown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Enough! 20 Protesters Who Changed America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Enough! 20 Protesters Who Changed America

Start your review of Enough! 20 Protesters Who Changed America
Inge
Nov 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: non-fiction
Things that are a protest: a football player taking a knee. Rosa Park not giving up her seat. Yoko Ono and John in bed for peace.

Things that are not a protest: A trans child presenting in the manner that suits her gender identity.

The inclusion of Jazz Jennings is sloppy, incorrect, and cheap device. Do better by trans children.
Emily
Cute, though the pages are simplistic. Each page just has a a single sentence on it: for example, "Colin took a knee" with an illustration of Colin Kaepernick. Then, a couple pages at the end collects more information about each featured protester. I'd have liked it better if the information included in the back of the book had been put on their individual pages instead.

It's a bit debatable as to whether all those included were "protesters", per se, but the spirit of activism is present in every
Holly
Love this! A two-page, full-bleed, full-color spread for each "heroic protester," with one sentence saying what he or she did--"Samuel threw a tea party," "Woody sang for you and me," "Ruby went to school." Each spread is worth poring over: the perspective is sometimes straight on, sometimes from a distance, or from an unusual angle. I love the "Tommie and John raised their fists" illustration, which is seen from above the athletes' heads, fists large in the foreground. (Gutsy call to use this ...more
Natalie Carbery
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kid, patriotic-af
The language of this book is very simple and easy for small children to digest. I was checking it out to see if it would be a good fit for my nieces and instead I found something extremely wonderful.

This book shows both passive and active resistance, which is so important to explain to kids early on.

But then I started crying. And here is why--it includes Colin Kaepernick and ends with the Parkland Students. This does not choose to focus on any one race or issue, everyone is included and it is
Kris Dersch
Sep 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really like the format of this. Simple enough to share with a small child, older or curious readers can dip into the short bios at the back, the pictures are allowed to do much of the telling. I also like how many things can be an act of protest...sometimes it's sitting on a bus seat or demonstrating at the Olympics but sometimes it's putting on a dress or going to school. Be sure not to miss the author's note where she tells her story of how she came to write the book.
There will be those who
Heather Harden
Simple enough for toddlers, each page contains one sentence about history changing Americans from the founding of the country through today. Many are well known faces of movements like African Americans' fight for freedom and equality, along with lesser known activists for gay rights and the Parkland students who marched for gun control. I was disappointed that the Black Lives Matter movement wasn't mentioned. A decent introduction with a page of short bios at the back.
Penny
Mar 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A modern, relevant compilation of protestors in US history. The illustrations are simple and compelling. I really liked the bios and quotes at the back of the book. My daughter and I learned about people we knew little about. The only thing I would have changed is to put the bio on the same page as the illustration so constant flipping back and forth can be avoided.
Colleen
Nov 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: prek-2
From the Boston Tea Party to the Parkland Students this book covers people who stood up to change America. The text itself doesn't tell very much but the end notes provide the necessary information about the featured protesters. The pictures are beautiful and I learned about at least two people that I hadn't heard of before.
N
Beautiful illustrations tell the basics of 20 different protestors with extra explanations at the back. It's amazing to look at how long some of these protests take historically and then relate it to present day where people THINK they know how protests work and want to tell the protestors, very inaccurately, how things work and what they should do.
Miko Lee
May 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Inspired by her cousins involvement in the Parkland shooting this author created a illustrated little kids book about protestors from Harriet Tubman to Colin Kapernick and ending with the Parkland students. Short blurbs on beautiful double spread portraits make it easy for little ones. A detailed 4 end pages provide info about these heroes for further investigation.
Amy
Jun 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A powerful book about 20 different individuals who have or are currently changing things with their ability to speak up, stand out, and not be afraid. It is designed to be shared with any age child with more information about each person in the back. A great introduction for children or a way to continue a conversation...
Pauline
Nov 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Chronological and diverse in nature; simple structure for the majority of the book. This illustrates to kids just HOW many ways people have stood up for their rights/the rights of others...
An excellent springboard for young children with more information in the back; this book could definitely inspire further research.
Cara Byrne
Jan 11, 2019 rated it liked it
"Rosa kept her seat. / Ruby went to school. / Rachel wrote a book. / Martin had a dream." With close up illustrations and four - eight word sentences, American history of protest is celebrated in this picture book, including Parkland high school students, Colin Kaepernick, and women of the Time's Up movement.
Kelly
Many times I chide a book for being too wordy. This is the opposite. There are many people outlined in this book who stood out for their efforts in taking a stand. But each page has an illustration of the person/people with only their name and a brief few words after. It's only at the back of the book where the reader can find details.
Marcia
A simple picture book that highlights many people who have stood up for their rights. I liked that it not only included Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, but also Colin Kaepernick and the Parkland students. The back matter provides a little bit of information, but I see it as a springboard for kids to become interested and head off and learn more.
emma
Oct 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
A picture book simplifies acts of protest, reminding us that profound protests (essentially, expressed ideas) often are amplified acts that could appear to be quiet: sitting down, wearing a dress, sewing a flag.
Annese
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
On my first read, it bothered me because I thought it oversimplified the people and events presented. On my second read, I enjoyed the nuggets of information, and was curious to learn more than the notes given in the back of the book.
Earl
Sep 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Protests comes in many ways. Standing up. Remaining seated. Taking a knee. From Samuel Adams to the Parkland students, readers will be know they too can make a difference. Simple text makes up the actual story with mini bios at the end of the book.
Kim
Oct 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
A simple sentence for each of the activists is a powerful way to introduce them to kids. It would be a great read-aloud and then project for Ss to find out more information, or look for the young activists of today.
Megan
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book to introduce the concept of peaceful protest to children. Bonus for picture books that feature Colin Kaepernick.
Evan
Nov 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Perfect blend of historical and contemporary protesters. Bonus points for major POC and LGBT representation. I learned quite a bit, even about figures from history that I thought I knew.
Adelas
Mar 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
very simple, strong pictures, and gives background on each of the protests in the back of the book.
Wylaina
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I cried. Simple and really lovely.
Becca Lehew
Nov 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Simple text to introduce protesting to students. A great way to discuss and lead to future research.
Mary
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Moving and informational, suitable for all ages. How did the author do that?
Amy
Oct 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A fabulous book that introduces young children to some great people who have made a lasting impact on our country. At the end of the book are brief bios of each person described in the book.
Ms Hall
Jul 08, 2019 rated it it was ok
I wanted to love this book but I just can't. Samuel Adams was a colonizer and I can't get past that.
Dawn Little