Start by marking “Collision” as Want to Read:
Collision

Collision

A collection of twelve of J.S. Breukelaar's darkest, finest stories with four new works, including the uncanny new novella "Ripples on a Blank Shore." Introduction by award-winning author, Angela Slatter. Relish the gothic strangeness of "Union Falls," the alien horror of "Rogues Bay 3013," the heartbreaking dystopia of "Glow," the weird mythos of "Ava Rune," and others. T ...more
Published February 19th 2019 by Meerkat Press

To ask other readers questions about Collision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Collision

Catherine ♡
This was definitely not what I’d expected! I’ve read plenty of short story collections in my day, and the first thing that jumps out to me about this one is the amount of variety in genres. Some read a little adult contemporary while others were solidly science fiction.

The writing style is perhaps the most distinctive thing about these stories, and I was amazed at the author’s ability to weave a story in so little words. The figurative language was very powerful, and there were even a few mini p
Emily
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
"What entranced him about earth were its shenanigans."

Collision was my introduction to JS Breukelaar, and this was such a fun set of stories. They are all so strange, and there's a really good variety here. Breukelaar is so creative, and I enjoyed seeing what each story was going to bring.

There are eleven stories in this collection, and they all offer something different. Some are heavier on horror, some are heavier on sci-fi, and some are just downright weird. Every story in Collision received
Shane Keene
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: best-of-2019
I have a full review of this coming to Ink Heist later this week, but allow me to just say this here. Collision is a five star collection cover to cover. Every single story is superb with no fluff or filler in between and Breukelaar's voice is both engaging and mesmerising. Watch for my review, but don't wait for it. Go preorder this sucker now.
Simon Veksner
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
If there's one thing that characterises these stories, I'd say it's a pervasive sense of unease. Imaginative, idiosyncratic and often macabre, these tales are narratively challenging and not suitable for the reader who likes to be spoon-fed. But if you enjoy atmospheric noir, you won't be disappointed.
Jen (Book Den)
Up next in my Women in Horror Month reviews is Collision by J.S. Breukelaar. Collision is a collection of short stories that extends past horror into all areas of speculative fiction.

This collection was my first encounter with J.S. Breukelaar's storytelling. I loved these strange and wonderful stories. I felt like I was taking a trip into Breukelaar's imagination.

These stories felt like they all had deeper meanings than what I was grasping on the page. I enjoyed each story, but I also felt like
Lori
A diverse and intriguing collection of short stories that span genres - horror, sci-fi, and just the right amount of bizarro for funsies - and showcase Breukelaar's range as a writer.

Favorites include Union Falls' mysterious armless piano player; the subtle story of Ava Rune's white trashiness; the fierce secrets of Lion Man and unlikely friendship that forms in Fairy Tale; and War Wounds' cowboy roughness, for their more straight-forward story telling.

Stories like The Box, Rouges Bay 3013 wer
Linda Hepworth
Nov 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing

I’m frequently disappointed with short stories because all too often they can feel unfinished in one way or another, leaving me feeling frustrated and dissatisfied. However, as this collection is being published by Meerkat Press, and as I have never yet been disappointed with anything from publisher Tricia Reeks, I was encouraged to feel optimistic that I would be in for a treat. To my delight, as soon as I read the first story, “Union Falls” (about an armless piano player and full of humour, pa
Bandit
Oct 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Oh, memory. How crappy you get with years. So as it turns out J.S. Breukelaar and I have met already as it were, on the pages anyway. Her story Glow has somehow blended in with all the other hysterical political end of the world stories in Welcome to Dystopia and I didn’t pay enough attention when I should have. And to be fair Glow (inspired by the author’s horrific personal experience of watching the 2016 election with a beloved relative who voted for Trump) doesn’t really showcase the width an ...more
Alison C
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I’ve read and enjoyed a number of books published by Meerkat Press, so when LibraryThing’s Early Reviewer program noted that there was an ARC available for a new book from that publisher, I leapt at the chance. "Collision: Stories," by J. S. Breukelaar, is a collection of short stories by this very talented young writer; her fiction is difficult to categorize as there are often elements of science fiction, horror, fantasy, urban legend and, well, ordinary life all mixed into one tale. What *is* ...more
Bradley Hovda
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
These intelligent stories are energetic and original. You must not trust the narrator in these craftily told metaphors, however. Reality serves to emphasize the anguish, loss and despair of our mostly young protagonists. The title story is a standout and the young woman, full of determination, tries her best to negotiate the Mobius strip of circumstance, only to find herself arriving back at her satisfied point of origin. If that's not enough to entice you, how about the author's own words, "The ...more
Alex findingmontauk1
Feb 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned
Collision is a group of dark, thought-provoking, and wonderfully told strange and speculative fiction short stories. Each story is so different and they drew me in with their oddities and prose. My favorite story is of the no-armed pianist that opened the collection and really made me scratch my head. I knew from that first story that this was going to be quite the interesting, original, and weird read! Breukelaar writes with such a mesmerizing style in dream-like stories. This is definitely a c ...more
Crystal Zavala
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: meerkat-press
J.S. Breukelaar is very talented. I wish I could come up with these stories. Her range from horror to sci-fi is impressive. There is mental health issues, LGBTQ relationships, aliens, and so much more.

Union Falls ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
War Wounds ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Collision ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Glow ⭐⭐⭐⭐
Like Ripples on a Blank Shore ⭐⭐⭐⭐

I am becoming more and more particular about short story collections and I loved this one!
I will definit
Eddie Generous
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Layers of oddity piled one on the other make for strange and fantastic locales and characters in this collection of dark, highly original tales.

Listen to my interview with the author here: https://www.unnervingmagazine.com/sin...
Audra (ouija.doodle.reads)
This review is a part of the blog tour for Collision! Be sure to check out the other stops and enter the giveaway on my blog (https://www.shelfstalker.net/blog/col...) for a $25 giftcard now through March 8!

The twelve stories in J.S. Breukelaar’s Collision encapsulate a wide range of speculative fiction and are captivating, strange, and amorphous in ways that I didn’t expect, but ways that truly delighted me.

With blurbs from Kathe Koja and Stephen Graham Jones, this book was instantly intriguing
Lara
Dec 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
J.S. Breukelaar's collection of weird tales are more than meets the eye. Each story has a solid horror premise with great unsettling details (eg. A driver who has lost her way, while the meat she bought at the market warms up in the back of her car, the car inexplicably filling with blood as she gets more and more lost), but behind the horror is a mix of emotions (wistfulness, hope, love, loss, regret) that are the real backbone of the storytelling.

Highlights for me included Raining Street (the
Taran Clarke
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
If you like smart speculative stories that flow seamlessly past the bounds of neatly defined genres, then you owe it to yourself to check out J.S. Breukelaar's Collision.

This short story collection of literary horror, weird fiction, science fiction, and/or other genres is full of truly original tales that, no matter how far away from contemporary realism they get, remain grounded in strong, consistent characters with very relatable wants and needs.

I'm a sucker for stylistically strong writing
Alison C
Oct 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Seb
Oct 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A very good introduction to JS Breukelaar's somber and fascinating universe. A powerful collection of haunting stories, each carrying its specific amount of shock, violence, horror and humanity. If you want to read something out of the beaten track, idiosyncratic and challenging, then this collection is definitely for you.
Robert
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The blurb on the cover compares the author favorably to Straub, Koontz, and King. I disagree. I might mention a passing resemblance to Mieville and maybe a touch of Joe Hill, but that would be just to put a reader in the right ball park. Intriguing stories, often thinly veiled, with enough oomph to keep me reading, but not quite enough to swallow me whole.
Kris Ashton
May 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Speculative fiction is a broad marquee sheltering sci-fi, fantasy, horror and almost innumerable sub-genres extending from those three main branches. One such sub-genre is ‘weird fiction’, and it serves as the connecting tissue for these short stories from J. S. Breukelaar. Weird fiction defies any firm definition or classification, except that it typically contains bizarre or surreal events applied to satirical or thematic effect. That’s certainly an apt description of Collision.

The weirdness i
Erin Cataldi
Oct 15, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018
I thought this collection of macabre short stories would be very fitting for Halloween so I was very pumped to try this author out. I'll admit I wasn't a fan of every story in the collection and I thought some were much stronger than others. I was however a huge fan of the afterword following each short story, which outlined the author's inspiration for each tale. It made me appreciate the stories a little more, even if I didn't love them all. From amputees to aliens to ghostly dogs and vile, mo ...more
Avril Carruthers
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Mind-blowing, assumption-shredding from the first line, this collection of extraordinary stories by JS Breukelaar will pepper your brain with holes while the wind howls through.

For example, from Union Falls:

"When the girl turned up for the job in her black jeans and cute haircut and no arms, Deels just shook her head, no."

And then the last line is a killer. And it's only the first story.

Each of these stories astonishes. JS drives her impossible writing with such ease, that as we catch our brea
Mr Peter
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I am often wary about single author collections. Unless proven household names: S. King and son, Ray Bradbury, Robert Aickman et al, or, comparative unknowns that I have winkled out like small trace gold in my reader's sieve such as Nathan Ballingrud and Lauren Beukes a few years back, then I tend to give them a miss as the quality often varies wildly over the course of the anthology.
Well, here is another name and book for that rare second category: J.S. Breukelaar. Just add her to the top of y
Andrea
Jan 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
As I read each story in this collection, I was constantly reminded of how apt the title for these stories really is. Each story provided a darkly strange collision of genres, ideas and character that led me down a path I found myself anxious to tread. A couple of standouts for me were Rogues Bay 3013, the titular story, Collision, and Fixed. These stories are not ones to read during a lazy afternoon snooze, each one creates a world of ideas, and if you let it, leads you away somewhere fantastica ...more
Cheryl
Jan 28, 2019 rated it liked it
If you are looking for a delightfully, unique collection of horror and weird (in a good way) stories, than, you should check out this anthology. Each story was something that I can't recall having ever read before; despite the fact that some of my favorite stories, Lion Man, Fairy Tale, and The Box were previously published. Another story that I really liked was Ava Rune.

Although, I will say that while, I was not over the moon with all of the stories in this anthology; there was about half to a
Becky Baldridge
Feb 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
This collection covers a wide variety of horror/thriller tropes, including some I wouldn't normally pick up, but they do have a couple of things in common. The writing is excellent and the author certainly has the short story/novella length read down to a fine art. Each story pulled me in quickly and held on tight. Regardless of the particular trope, each tale has a tone of disquiet, and they all make you think outside the box, way outside the box in some cases. This is not a book for those who ...more
Imogen Cassidy
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Breukelaar creates a tangible sense of place for each and every one of these stories. Beautifully descriptive and evocative language, together with realistic and often terrifying characters, makes each story an emotional journey. "Clint Eastwood" was my favourite in this collection, tugging at heart strings and terrifying in equal measure, but there is definitely something for everyone who loves the weird and the macabre here. Highly recommended.
Alvaro Zinos-Amaro
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2019
Review forthcoming
Joe Quenell
Mar 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is some primo weird fiction that doesn't settle on just one genre. For fans of Stephen Graham Jones and Brian Evenson. Favorite story: War Wounds.
Nica
Apr 28, 2019 rated it really liked it
A hit or miss collection for me.
Favorites:
Union Falls
Raining Street
Ava Rune
Lion Man
Fixed
Like Ripples on a Blank Shore
Thanks for the reviews! 1 1 Feb 23, 2019 10:10AM
Making Connections: Blog Tour Signup! COLLISION (2/18/19-3/8/19) 1 4 Dec 06, 2018 02:14AM
Blog Tour Signup! 1 1 Dec 06, 2018 01:52AM
Goodreads Librari...: Several requests regarding book corrections 2 24 Oct 18, 2018 02:09PM
ARCS available 1 1 Sep 19, 2018 10:40AM

• Twisted (Deathwind Trilogy, #1)
  • Kiss of Awakening (Succubus Kiss, #0.5)
  • Coyote Songs
  • I Am Not Your Final Girl
  • Outlaw (Heart & Soul)
  • Dead of Winter
  • The Fall of Sky: Part One
  • Dragonbait
  • Stirring the Sheets
  • Serafina and the Silent Vampire (Serafina's, #1)
  • Kill Hill Carnage
  • The Chosen (Rise of Cithria, #1)
  • Thirty-Seven
  • The Bridge of Dead Things (The Involuntary Medium, #1)
  • Wicked Good Witches (Wicked Good Witches #1-2)
  • Out Behind the Barn
  • Blood and Bone (Jack Hawthorne Adventure #3)
  • Criminal Zoo
J.S. Breukelaar is the author of the Aurealis Award-nominated novel Aletheia, and American Monster, a Wonderland Award finalist. Collision, her new collection from Meerkat Press, drops in Feb 19. She has stories, essays and poetry published in Unnerving Mag, Black Static, Gamut Magazine, Lamplight and elsewhere. She is an instructor and columnist at LitReactor.com and lives in Sydney, Australia wi ...more