Start by marking “The Dark Bones (A Dark Lure, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Dark Bones (A Dark Lure, #2)

The Dark Bones

(Dark Lure #2)

4.14  ·  Rating details ·  13,936 ratings  ·  1,009 reviews

She’s come back to solve the mystery of her father’s death and confront her own dark past.

When Detective Rebecca North left her rural hometown, she vowed never to return. Her father’s apparent suicide has changed that. The official report is that retired cop Noah North shot himself, knocked over a lantern, and set his isolated cabin ablaze. But Rebecca cannot believe h

Kindle Edition, 1st edition, 440 pages
Published May 21st 2019 by Montlake Romance

To ask other readers questions about The Dark Bones, please sign up.
Gabrielle The girl who was a witness to the cop's death is the daughter of the rape victim in A Dark Lure. The woman who had changed her name and moved away whe…moreThe girl who was a witness to the cop's death is the daughter of the rape victim in A Dark Lure. The woman who had changed her name and moved away when she escaped. Olivia(less)

·  13,936 ratings  ·  1,009 reviews

Start your review of The Dark Bones (A Dark Lure, #2)
Julie
The Dark Bones by Loreth Anne White is a 2019 Montlake publication.

My kind of romantic suspense!!

This is the long awaited follow up to ‘A Dark Lure’ and is every bit as thrilling as its predecessor! The story picks up pretty much were ‘Lure’ left off. While one doesn’t have to read the first book to enjoy this one, I do highly recommend doing so, just so will know Olivia and Tori’s backstory.

That said, this book follows Rebecca North who has returned to her small hometown after her father all
Carolyn
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'm a fan of Loreth Ann White's Angie Pallorino series so jumped into this without realising it was already episode two of a new series. Although I now want to go back and read book one, this worked well for me as a stand alone dark tale of murder and betrayal in the cold wilderness of British Columbia.

Rebecca North escaped the small rural town where she grew up to become a Detective in Ottawa but has recently returned after her father ex-Mountie Noah is found dead in his burnt out cabin, from
Maureen Carden
Winston Churchill famously described the Soviet Union as “a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma,". The story contained in The Dark Bones can be described as a betrayal, wrapped in a lie, inside a crime.
On other side of the country from her hometown, RMCP Sgt Rebecca North is notified that her father, former RCMP officer Noah North has died from a self-inflicted shotgun wound after setting his rural cabin on fire.
After a five day battle with weather and airlines Rebecca arrives in h
Sandra ~ ♥ Cross My Heart ♥
"He'd always harbored a fear that she still lay there. Her dark bones in wait. To rise. To get them." (Quote: The Dark Bones)

The Dark Bones is a highly atmospheric, chilling suspense story wrapped in the arms of a young-love-gone-wrong, second-chance romance. The blistering pace set in the opening pages is driven by a sinister presence - a sense of impending doom that continues to swell as the story unfolds - one that impelled this reader to burn the midnight oil in a frenzied search for answers
Mackey
I started reading books by Loreth Anne White a few years ago and fell in love with her Angie Pallorino series. Some of you may be familiar with those. The Dark Bones is the second book in a new series, A Dark Lure, and I actually didn’t realize that until after I finished the book. Obviously it didn’t matter that I hadn’t read the first book since I thought it was a stand-alone. It is fantastic!

When Detective Rebecca North left her rural Canadian hometown, she vowed never to return. A call from
Toni
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: crime, 2019
Rtc
Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC provided in exchange for an honest opinion.
Matt
Apr 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
First and foremost, a large thank you to NetGalley, Loreth Anne White, and Montclair Romance for providing me with a copy of this publication, which allows me to provide you with an unbiased review.

At a time when the thriller genre is supersaturated by authors who wish to peddle their wares, Loreth Anne White enters with a few unique qualities, one of which being the novel’s setting in rural Western Canada. Add to that, the slow development and eerie quality of her writing and the reader is in f
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: .... as she took her place in the witness box, a chill trickled down her spine. She was barely able to register the court official in front of her, let alone recall how she'd gotten to the box.

'Do you, Sergeant Rebecca North, solemnly affirm that the evidence to be given by you shall be the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth?'

He lied.

You both lied.

ABOUT THIS BOOK: When Detective Rebecca North left her rural hometown, she vowed never to return. Her father’s apparent suicid
Debbie Oliphant
Jun 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I could not put this book down......it's a WOW.

I'm excited to discover a new author for me. I knew this story would be intense based on the summary, but it had layers and layers of secrets that needed to be told.

Rebecca's father dies from an apparent suicide after she receives a bizarre call from him. She rushes home and believes he was murdered. She knows he was working on a cold case from 20 years ago and believes new clues surfaced prompting his will to finally solve it. She is also reconnec
Judy
Apr 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
An unsolved crime 20 years in the past is still heavily influencing lives in the present in this complex crime mystery. I didn't realize when I started the book that it is the second in a series. Didn't matter - the story stands alone with no knowledge of the first book. The story unfolds tying events in the past to events in the future, going back and forth between the two time periods. The tension plays out slowly as you are led to the climax and I enjoyed it very much. The main characters wer ...more
Chris  C - A Midlife Wife
Amazingly good. Plenty of twists and secrets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is the first time I have read this author and she grabbed me from the very beginning. It’s difficult to describe an artists work. And that’s what I think of her writing skills. She is an artist.

White doesn’t just type words into a paragraph. She literally paints the picture in your mind and it seems like you are right there In the midst of the icy cold trying to solve the case.

The Dark Bones throws so many emotions a
"Avonna
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Check out all of my reviews at: https://www.avonnalovesgenres.com

THE DARK BONES (Dark Lure Book 2) by Loreth Anne White is a mix of romantic suspense, mystery and thrills with ever increasing physical, emotional and environmental threats. This is the second book in this series, but it can easily be read as a standalone.

Detective Rebecca North is notified that her father, a retired Mounty has committed suicide. Rebecca has been away from her hometown in rural Western Canada for twenty years and
Malina Skrobosinski
There's nothing quite like getting lost in a Loreth Anne White novel. I just can't understand why we still haven't seen any movie deals yet? A complete and utter mystery to me.

The Dark Bones is the second installment in The Dark Lure series. Although this novel features our beloved Olivia and Cole... and even Tori from A Dark Lure, this novel however centers around Rebecca North and Ash Haugen. Their story begins 20 years ago, when choices were made and hearts were broken. Rebecca North is forc
♥Rachel♥
4.5 Stars

Detective Rebecca North is shocked to hear her father has committed suicide. Especially since he called with ramblings of an old, cold murder case the day he supposedly took his life. So, Rebecca heads up north, to a town she’s been avoiding for years determined to find out what happened. What she discovers isn’t as clear cut as the investigators originally thought, and much of the mystery behind her father’s death is wrapped around her first love, Ash Haugen, the man who shattered her
CD {Boulder Blvd}
First off, I have to say that Ms. White has written some of my favorite stories. I love her writing and couldn't wait to get my hands on this book. I stayed up until 1:30 in the morning reading this one and finally called it a night (my eyes were getting blurry) and had to wait until the next day to finish.

At the beginning of the book, I was disappointed with the past/present jumping as it pulled me out of the flow of the story. Plus the past was written in present tense which I absolutely do n
Kelli Wilson
Mar 18, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was disappointing after reading the previous novel "A Dark Lure", which overlaps with a few similar characters. It was a mystery that lacked compelling suspense; lacked consistent suspense. Ultimately an unexpected ending but not in a very relevant way to the rest of the story. After 50% I kept reading just so I could say I finished... because I'm stubborn. Unfortunately, after this read I'm still stubborn and now also frustrated.
Wendy
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dark Bones, by Loreth Anne White, is a wonderfully addictive story and the 2nd book in her "A Dark Lure" series.
Rebecca North leaves her childhood home with a broken heart and no intention of returning. She relocates to Ottawa where she begins her career as a detective, leaving behind her father, a retired police officer.
Her father's death is the only thing that would bring her home. She is unable to believe that he committed suicide and sets out to find the truth behind his death. Her inve
Caz
Apr 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B+ at AAR, so that's 4.5 stars

When I picked up Loreth Anne White’s The Dark Bones for review, I wasn’t aware that it was linked to one of her earlier books, A Dark Lure, in which a young woman who was abducted and repeatedly assaulted is making a new life for herself in rural Canada only to have to face the prospect that her abductor may still be at large.  But never fear; it’s perfectly possible to read The Dark Bones as a standalone as the author brings new readers quickly up
Paris        (kerbytejas)
Mar 06, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2019
The Dark Bones (Dark Lure #2) by Loreth Anne White, is a well written, complex story. At times it’s hard to decide who the actual victims are - in my opinion, they all are in some way. None of the characters are perfect; they all have their baggage but have learned to deal with it.

The author jumps from the present to the past and back again to set up the relationships between Ash, Becca, and Whitney. The past holds the key to actual crimes committed. The book is emotional, tugging on the reader’
LenaRibka
The second book was much better than the first book IMO. The main reason lies in the the main character, Detective Rebecca North. I like her honesty, directness and loyalty. I also like the idea of the mystery case much better than the one from the first book. I have to confess that I prefer mystery books with emphasis on the analytic side of crime solving, and I don't see much sence in long detailed graphical description of the savage brutality of a crime.

Rebecca returns to her hometown to bur
Debbie "Buried in Her TBR Pile"
4 stars

I liked this one. It had a mystery, suspense and a 2nd chance for a couple with lots of angst and secrets. Yes, the H did cheat when they were 16 and 17 years old (respectively) and the betrayal was devastating for the h. But the back story is woven into the mystery and H is prime suspect. The h is good at her job as an investigator/cop and left her hometown to get far away as possible. I forgot I had book 1 - so, I'm off to read that one.
Anita
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, arc

I loved the first book in this series and am so happy to see another. "The Dark Bones" grabs you on page one and doesn't let go. I recommend you block some time off for reading because I guarantee you will not want to put this one down. This book is dark, moody and foreboding. Nothing is ever black and white in LAW's books. Always shades of gray with her situations and charact
Deanna
Aug 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I think I might have enjoyed this more if I had started with the first, instead of second, in the series.

Characters felt a little flat, or like maybe I should already be connected to them but wasn’t. There wasn’t as much effortless suspense or deepening mystery as I expected.

This was my first read of this author but I plan to try again.
Kathi Defranc
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have never read a book by this author, but after thoroughly enjoying this
suspenseful story I will definitely be looking for more!! The first paragraph pulls you in, as Becca North receives a drunken phone call from her dad while attending a high profile trial in which her cop skills are needed. He has become so paranoid, she says she will call back...which she never gets to do...
A phone call rushes her home, to a small Canadian town, where they say her Dad,a cop for years, killed himself!
Be
Cindy
Jan 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
A dark thriller that weaves wrongdoings of 20 years ago into present day with murderous outcomes.

The location setting is a familiar one along with Olivia, Cole and Tori returning from the first book. But that is where the similarities to the first book end. New characters, Canadian detective Rebecca North and rancher Ash Haugen and their traumatic childhood pasts are the main characters in this second book in the series.

Rebecca returns home after the alleged suicide of her father. She feels gu
Bridget
"The Dark Bones" is an impressive and intense romantic suspense novel with large helpings of mystery and the fast-paced action of a great thriller. There's something for everyone in this extraordinarily good novel!

Even though it is book two in a series, it worked very well as a self-contained read. Captivating from the start, I loved the character development from Loreth Anne White, which made them very convincing. The short chapters helped to make this an easy read.

I will be reading the first b
RachelW (BamaGal)
Feb 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc
A very good read. White is a go-to author for me, and I can always count on her for a well done thriller in the Canadian wilderness. It was occasionally too wordy and angsty for my taste, with a neatly tied up and pat ending; but the storyline itself was outstanding. It reminded me in premise of a recent Jack Reacher plotline...then she took the story in a completely different and twisty direction.

Well worth the read while waiting for the next ‘Angie Pallorino’ to come out.
Anastasia
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
The Dark Bones by Loreth Anne White is the second book in the Dark Lure series. Detective Rebecca North returns to her hometown on being informed that her father, a retired policeman, had committed suicide. She finds that he had actually been murdered with links to a cold case that he had been investigating. A solid, methodical mystery thriller, although a little drawn out for my taste. I loved the descriptions of the town and wilderness and did not realise it was the second book in the series a ...more
Jammin Jenny
I received this book via Netgalley in return for an honest review. I absolutely loved this book. I was so engaged with the characters and their story, I couldn't put it down once I started reading. I loved the adventure in the story, the setting in a remote town in British Columbia, and the intrigue of the apparent suicide of Noah North. I highly recommend this book.
Susan
Feb 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Dark Bones takes us back to Cariboo County where we first met Olivia, Cole, and Tori in A Dark Lure. We meet Rebecca when returns to her hometown after the death of her father. Once home, she’s determined to solve the mystery of his death even if it means delving into her painful past.

This book sucked me in from page one. I was excited that Olivia & Tori were brought into the story, plus some new characters that I want more of. The Dark Bones was suspenseful, compelling, and totally un-put-

• One Small Sacrifice (Shadows of New York, #1)
  • Cold Waters (Normal, Alabama #1)
  • Blood for Blood (Ziba MacKenzie, #1)
  • Cut and Run
  • False Step
  • Nine Elms (Kate Marshall, #1)
  • Thin Air (Jessica Shaw, #1)
  • The Eighth Sister (Charles Jenkins #1)
  • The Rescue (Ryan Decker #1)
  • Here To Stay
  • The Killer Collective (John Rain, #10; Ben Treven #4; Livia Lone #2.5)
  • What You Did
  • If You Tell: A True Story of Murder, Family Secrets, and the Unbreakable Bond of Sisterhood
  • Hide and Seek (Criminal Profiler, #1)
  • Lying Next to Me
  • Don't Even Breathe (Maggie Novak, #1)
  • I'll Never Tell
  • Bad Memory (Jessica Shaw, #2)
Loreth Anne White is an Amazon Charts and Washington Post bestselling author of thrillers, mysteries, and suspense. With well over 2 million books sold around the world, she is a three-time RITA finalist, an overall Daphne du Maurier Award winner, Arthur Ellis finalist, and winner of multiple industry awards.

A recovering journalist who has worked in both South Africa and Canada, she now calls Cana

Dark Lure (2 books)
  • A Dark Lure (A Dark Lure, #1)