Start by marking “The Lore of Prometheus” as Want to Read:
The Lore of Prometheus

The Lore of Prometheus

John Carver has three rules: Don't drink in the daytime, don't gamble when the luck has gone, and don't talk to the dead people who come to visit.

It has been almost five years since the incident in Kabul. Since the magic stirred within him and the stories began. Fleeing the army, running from the whispers, the guilt, and the fear he was losing his mind, Carver fell into a
Published November 30th 2018 by Fallen Leaf Press

To ask other readers questions about The Lore of Prometheus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lore of Prometheus

Emma
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Things just haven’t been right for John Carver since his last deployment. That time when everything turned to shit but he walked out the sole survivor, the ‘Miracle of Kabul’. Especially since it heralded the arrival of his new companions: the dead. His former teammates are far from happy with their new circumstances and are more than willing to tell him about it. Repeatedly. The fact that they’re supposed to be six feet under hasn’t stopped them from hanging around sporting seriously bad attitu ...more
Dyrk Ashton
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was privileged enough to get an ARC of this, and loved it. It's like Myke Cole’s Shadow Ops meets Matt Helm meets Remo Williams in the coolest possible way. This is brutal, thrilling, action-packed military fantasy at its absolute best. Austin-King’s attention to detail and fast paced snarky style make this book a must read. Not kidding. If you're into military fantasy, or even if you're not, you have to give this a try.
Lukasz
Nov 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Actual rating: 4.5/5 but I'll round it up.

It’s a strange day when the guy who talks to dead people begins to think he’s the normal one.

The Lore of Prometheus protagonist, John Carver, is a broken ex-military with severe PTSD symptoms. During his last field mission in Kabul, terrorists killed his squad members. Saved by a miracle, he blames himself for the tragedy. His dead squad members share the sentiment and express it on a daily basis.

A desperate situation forces John to return to Afghanis
Marielle
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-own, signed
I couldn't put this book down, magic and military apparently make a brilliant mix!
Dark, fast paced and characters that made me care. Thoroughly enjoyed it!
X-men meets James Bond with badass female sidekick...
(Would love to see this as a movie!!)
Mike Everest Evans
Nov 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Full disclosure: I read a pre-release version of this novel.

Lore of Prometheus is a blend of military, science fiction, real world issues, and Saw-like thrills and blood spills. It follows the story of John Carver, ex-soldier, who is trying to run from both his past and future by living in the present, which hasn’t worked out for him so far, not when you can’t escape your own thoughts – or the voices in your head. From the streets of London to the streets of Kabul, Carver will have to face his o
Liz
Jan 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, ex-army
Well, now… this was such a pleasant surprise of a book! And I say that admitting the full irony as the content is anything than pleasant for our characters, but you know… welcome to fantasy-land! I am no stranger to Graham Austin-King’s work having previously read&reviewed the Faithless. I knew I was going to be in for something good- and: Wow! Austin-King is either a man of many-many talents (blacksmithing and military) or he’s a bloody good researcher who knows exactly how to put his knowl ...more
Adrian Collins
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Review by Timy Takacs on Grimdark Magazine.

When Graham Austin-King first approached me about an ARC of The Lore of Prometheus he described it as sort of Dean Koontz / Stephen King / Clive Barker style. Now, I’ve read one Koontz book and maybe two of King’s. I liked Koontz; King I’m not sure about. I was still interested, so said “bring it on”. Then the blurb was released and I started to think I might have made a mistake. A soldier MC, the story set in Kabul and the book further described as mil
Lynn K : Grimmedian
Nov 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
Mixing magic into a modern war zone The Lore of Prometheus is thriller that will hook you at the start. This book was nearly a straight through read for me. Though the magic isn’t apparent immediately, and the problems already faced by our reluctant protagonist, John Carver, are disturbing at the very least.

For the past 5 years, he’s been crippled with an addiction to gamblin. He’s hounded by his old military squad, who are dead, quite literally. He lives his life as far away from others as poss
Kristen
Jan 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Full review is here, on my blog!

First book of the new year!!!

This is the story of John Carver, who is a former solider from the UK who is in a bit of a pickle. He’s in quite a bit of debt, his girlfriend left, and he’s got a wicked case of PTSD which manifests in the form of members of his squad from his last deployment in Afghanistan talking to him. The dead former members. The ones who died right before Carver stopped a bullet meant for himself.

When he is offered a security job in Kabul, he ac
Kitvaria Sarene
Apr 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy-urban
This was a great mix of mystery, thriller and UF.
There's two main protagonists, who I enjoyed spending time with!
It is quite dark and bloody, so not recommended for the squeamish...

I usually don't really enjoy stories in modern warfare / realistic modern area of conflicts. But this one sucked me right in anyway! And it turns a corner rather quickly and is more about special abilities than what the character was told his latest mission would be.

Once again the prose was especially good and helped
Timy
Find my full review on Grimdark Magazine or check out Adrian's review. I'm only going to write a short summary here because there is no need to duplicate my full review :)

I had no idea what to expect from this book when I agreed to read it and based on the blurb I was a bit worried it won't be up my alley. But oh boy, I was in for a treat. The Lore of Prometheus had been one of my favorite reads this year.

Austin-King’s prose is flowing and he knows very well how to break up tension with a litt
Michael
Feb 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Military fantasy fans
This is a cracker! It's been well researched, well imagined and well written.

I have friends who have served in the British special forces and what the author writes here rings true. This was not what I was expecting if I'm honest. A military fantasy is something that has been done before but I thought this one worked well and was more believable than something like X-Men. I would liken it a little to the American series Heroes for some of the powers involved here.

An ex-serviceman with mental h
kartik narayanan
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was ok
The Lore of Prometheus feels like a YA book (with all its tropes) written for a more mature audience. Broken people - check. People who need to be "motivated" to find their powers - check. Boy with powers meets girl with powers and they fall in love - check. Evil, one dimensional villain - check.

The plot is boring and predictable, which I hope is corrected, if this book is the forerunner of a series. Actually, this book has the plot of Wolverine (the movie) right down to the villain and the clim
Tom
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Lore of Prometheus has an incredibly strong opening chapter and the black humour, heart-wrenching scenes and constant intrigue only thicken as it forms a gritty paste, not unlike the one the characters come to enjoy, sort of, eventually. Where they differ is that the taste and flavour of the book has been expertly crafted by a talented writer. The research put into not only nursing but also military and post-traumatic stress disorder amongst other things shines and really keeps the writing w ...more
Jeff Bryant
Nov 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Privileged to read and ARC this work.
Think XMen origins written by Robert Ludlum and you have Graham Austin-Kings tale The Lord of Prometheus. Carver, an ex British Special Forces literally haunted by his past and with a strange secret of his own finds himself hired to provide security for a Middle Eastern political figure. He finds there is more than meets the eye here and his past catches up with him with a clandestine organization.
Mackenzie is an Australian serving in humanitarian organiza
Dustin
Dec 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is the second book I’ve read by Graham Austin-King, the first being Faithless, and I’ve been impressed by the fast pace and smooth prose in both titles. Lore of Prometheus is action-packed and also has some heart to go along with a touch of horror. Definitely recommended.
Mihir
Nov 28, 2018 rated it really liked it

Read Lukasz and my full review over at Fantasy Book Critic

OVERVIEW/ANALYSIS (MIHIR): When Graham Austin-King announced his newest a few weeks ago, I was intrigued. After reading Faithless, one thing was abundantly clear. Graham knew how to psychologically and physically torture his characters without making it exploitative. His writing and characterization were also top notch so that readers preferring a darker bent to their stories would find everything to like in his tales. The Lore Of Prome
Greg Thomas
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Magical Jason Bourne

Well, Mr. Austin-king you do not disappoint. I just hope there is more of this coming. After just having watched Bourne Identity with my son, I could help make the comparison. This book was an amazing ride. If you like a good action with a dose of magic this is for you.
Shona Kinsella
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
You may remember that reviewed Faithless by Graham Austin-King last year on this site and I really enjoyed it. You won’t be surprised then that when the author got in touch to ask if I would be interested in reviewing his latest release, I was happy to accept.

The Lore of Prometheus is totally different from Faithless, and I believe, from any of the author’s other books. It’s always a bit of a scary step for an author, to write a different kind of story. Will your readers come with you? Will you
Tyler
Apr 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, 3-5
In The Lore of Prometheus by Graham Austin-King, Carver is an ex-soldier, home from Kabul after an incident in which he unwittingly used a dormant magical power. He's assigned back to Kabul to make ends meet working on security, when he's abducted by people who want to use his power for unsavoury means.

On the face of it I wouldn't normally go for this book (could be just another urban fantasy). I can't remember how I came across it, but it was a real page-turner - the first part as an ex-soldier
Milan
Feb 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Miriam Michalak
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
When some of us experienced trauma it changes us, in ways we could never imagine.

This book was a genre departure from Graham Austin-King, who has entertained us with his fantasy tales. It's much more of a thriller set in our world. But with his usual panache and excellent writing style he pulls it off!

We follow John Carver, ex-military, gambler, drinker and suffering from PTSD as he returns to Kabul as a civvie. He has to face his trauma & discover what it has unlocked within.

I'm not a big
Jacob Rundle
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
An amazing story dealing with how a Veteran deals with PTSD, and how it may manifest in the world of a man named Carvin. The character development was well done. He showed this man's inner demons.
The world in the story was so imaginative and realistic. I loved this story so much. I would reread this story.
This book is A MUST READ. Everyone should read it.
Lynn Worton
Dec 11, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is a fantastic mix of action, danger and magic. I loved it!

John Carver is an ex-soldier and war veteran. I liked this man a lot. He's someone you want watching your back, but he's seen and done things most civilians don't experience. He's faced danger and sacrificed much to protect others. When his squad was killed in Kabul five years before, his life changed forever. Some call it PTSD, others call it crazy, but John's also known to some as The Miracle of Kabul. To find out why you'll
Sean Gursky
Jan 20, 2019 rated it liked it
It's a strange day when the guy who talks to dead people begins to think he's the normal one

Lore of Prometheus walked a delicate line. At times I doubted the story would wrap up in a single book and then it would bleed in to a series and I also feared it would fall in to typical X-Men/anti-hero tropes. For the worries I had the story was enjoyable and left me pleasantly entertained.

The masochist nature in me enjoyed the torture/breaking aspect for candidates to unleash their potential. Having a
M.H. Thaung
This was a fun read.

Haunted by his dead army buddies and a mystical reputation he doesn't want, John Carver has struggled to settle back into civilian society. In need of money, he takes on a job that involves a return to Afghanistan. There, he finds himself captured by someone who wants to learn about his supposed magical power. Among the other prisoners is Mackenzie, a foreign aid worker. Her captivity has a slightly different course, and the two have to work together to escape.

The straightfor
Selina
Jul 16, 2019 rated it liked it
What I really liked about this book:
*Its fluent, dark and thrilling prose
*The main characters, especially Carver and his entourage, with Turner being my favorite. His scottish accent was mentioned quite often and even his sentences were written accordingly. This made me adapt a scottish voice in my head every time he said something - which added to my enjoyment!
*How the PTSD and psychology were handled

What I felt was different this time:
*Compared to the Riven Wyrde and Faithless this story kind
David O'Brien
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An entertaining read that breaks from Austin-kings other books.

The summary doesn't do this book justice. It feels a bit of a mash up between a Tom Clancey / Xmen / girl with all the gifts type read where you're racing towards the end where you are unsure how it will conclude. There's a dark humour to it which adds an extra level and the characters are likeable and a bit unpredictable.

It's a very enjoyable read, by one of my favourite writers and it doesn't disappoint. I'd recommend to anyone w
Steve Howarth
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Damn good book, which a few cracking one liners which resulted in a number of glares from the missus. Two fine characters and Carver's multiplicity was what I wished to read more about, as it was entertaining and I was curious to see how they'd manifest with his abilities, such as the Tribe of One series in Dark Sun.

Hot deserts were the only similarities as the ending rocked, with a highly enjoyable ending. I'd have liked to seen more of Carver in the middle as he goes awol for a while, being my
Darren Kloss
Feb 07, 2019 rated it liked it
Totally different style to Graham's other books in that it was written in first person and also is military urban fantasy whereas his other books are out and out fantasy.

The characters as always are very well put together.

My only complaint was that I felt it went too slow. The ending was very good, and set up for a very interesting series if that is the plan, which I will definitely read.

Recommend if you are into military/urban fantasy/super-powers.
Graham Austin-King was born in the south of England and weaned on broken swords and half-forgotten spells. A shortage of these forced him to consume fantasy novels at an ever-increasing rate, turning to computers and tabletop gaming between meals.

He experimented with writing at the beginning of an education that meandered through journalism, international relations, and law. To this day he is com