Start by marking “Is Two a Lot?: An Adventure with Numbers” as Want to Read:
Is Two a Lot?: An Adventure with Numbers

Is Two a Lot?: An Adventure with Numbers

While Joey’s mom explains the context of numbers in vivid ways, Joey’s imagination transforms their ordinary car ride into a magical odyssey through a land of make-believe.

Is 2 a Lot? is a wonderfully charming and authentic exchange between mother and child. Annie Watson’s story makes numbers tangible, and Rebecca Evans’s illustrations bring them to life.
Published June 4th 2019 by Tilbury House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Is Two a Lot?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Is Two a Lot?

Start your review of Is Two a Lot?: An Adventure with Numbers
Deb
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-alena, fiction
This book is all about perspective. Two (and more) things can seem like a lot or a little depending on what the things are. "Two is not a lot of pennies," says the mom, then you turn the page, "But two is a lot of smelly skunks." It's a very simple and yet insightful concept. Children can be good at getting parents to think. I like the effort the mom makes to answer the child's questions.

The illustrations seem to represent what's on the child's mind. They are fantastic! It's said, "A picture is
Barbara
I'd give this one a 3.5 for originality and for all the well-depicted and sometimes over-the-top scenes that complement the text. As mathematicians know, numbers have great value, but they aren't necessarily static. By this, I mean that it depends on the objects they are representing just how much they are. As Joey and his mother are traveling in their car, he wonders if two is a lot. Sher responds by coming up with instances where a certain number of objects would not add up to much and others ...more
Molly Cluff (Library!)
I liked this book! Bright, colorful, silly, and a good way to discuss numerical concepts (four is not a lot of children on a bus, but four is a lot of dogs to walk at once!).
Cindy Mitchell *Kiss the Book*
Is 2 a Lot? An Adventure with Numbers by Annie Watson, illustrated by Rebecca Evans. PICTURE BOOK. Tilbury House Publishers, 2019. $18. 9780884487159

BUYING ADVISORY: EL - ADVISABLE

AUDIENCE APPEAL: HIGH

Joey has some questions for his mommy about numbers. He wants to know if 2 is a lot. His mommy explains that 2 pennies are not much, but 2 smelly skunks are a lot. So begins the adventure as Joey and his mom discuss numbers and their car wondrously fills with Joey’s imagination.

The illustrations of
Stephanie Bange
Jun 19, 2019 rated it really liked it
Not really a counting book, rather this talks about the concept of when are the number of things "a lot" and when are they not?

One day while riding in the car, Joey asks his mother all kinds of questions about numbers, if __(fill in the blank) is "a lot". His mother's answers are never yes or no. Rather she gives tangible examples to show that it all depends on what you are counting.

Watson's text rings true to youngsters who ask these types of questions. Rebecca Evans is the star here. Her water
Heidi
Is 2 a Lot? takes the reader on a journey through the relative value of numbers as imagined by a mother and her little boy. I quite enjoyed reading this as the comparisons the mother makes are amusing. For example, when Joey asks if 2 is a lot, his mother tells him that 2 isn't a lot of pennies, but it is a lot of smelly skunks. At this point, the mother turns the car down a path with a sign that says, "Fasten safety belt before time travel". Joey continues by asking about 3, 4, 5, 10, 50, 100, ...more
Miss Amy
May 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
This very different book about numbers and how big they are or how small in perspective is a great twist to seeing them. The illustrations by Rebecca Evans bring alive, visually what the mom is trying to show her little boy about the ?'s he's asking about numbers. It is all about the context of the number itself. Well done, and really fun. Kids will enjoy this read-aloud. Great for parents and teachers!
Clara
Aug 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I love the original idea behind this book. As a former teacher, I know how important it is to teach kids to think about numbers in a way that holds meaning. Bonus points, too, for meaningful diversity—I especially love that the Alaskan Natives are portrayed realistically in a modern setting. The best part is that this book is just plain fun—my daughter’s favorite page is the cowboys riding down the city street! :)
Jessie
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math
This is a lovely #unitchat book. When are 2, 3, 4, 5, 10, 50, or 100 big? The mother gives some examples, and then asks the child what he thinks about whether 2 is big or not.

This would be a good book to teach kids the game "When is X Big?" suggested by Games for Young Minds.

The illustrations are colorful and fun.
Kayla
Sep 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, picture-books
This was a great book to read at the start of the year with my kiddos to get them started thinking about numbers in a flexible way. They enjoyed the illustrations and made commentary on the idea of "big" being relative.
Nadina
Jun 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-e
I really liked this. It was cute and fun. It is a great book to get kids thinking about comparisons and what numbers look like. The illustrations were fun, simple and cute.
I think I would be quite likely to reccomend this book to kids.
Mary Norell Hedenstrom
Aug 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A great book for building number sense
mg
Aug 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children, 2019, counting
Great way of getting kids to think about numbers in context!
Ms Threlkeld
Aug 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good read aloud for discussing quantity and number sense.
Jo Oehrlein
Jan 12, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: math, picture-books
I love how for every number they give an example of when it's not big and when it is.
Kelly
This is a very enjoyable book. It stretches the mind.
Miss Sarah
Sep 18, 2019 rated it liked it
an elementary and up book about the meaning of numbers and how they relate to real life sizes of things by comparison.
Margie
Using numbers for counting is a part of nearly everything we do daily. We have ten minutes left before taking cookies out of the oven. We are two miles away from the grocery store. We pump five gallons of gas into our car's tank. Let's plant those trees four feet apart. We are consciously or unconsciously counting all the time.

We probably don't take into consideration the impact of amounts and certain things, but it is an intriguing way to look at numbers. Is 2 a Lot?: An Adventure with Numbers
Kellee Moye
Trent loves books like I do, but he really is more of a science and math kid than I was (am!), so whenever we can combine the two in fun ways, the book is a favorite in my house. This also shows the engagement opportunities with a book in a classroom.

I love that the story is a conversation between a mom and her son. It reminds me so much of so many conversations I’ve had in my car with Trent. I really promotes the inquisitiveness of kids which is something I think we all need to keep promoting.

F
Theresa
My 5 year old son adored this book, but he is a total nerd who loves numbers. The mom and son have a magical car ride with a continued dialogue about numbers. "Ten is not a lot of popcorn pieces, but it is a lot of chomping dinosaurs." He started finding things in the house and comparing their relative size. I loved it!
Jun 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
I loved this book! I love exploring the idea of relativism vs. absolutes, and I also love the progressive nature of the "hop-ons" to their car; there is a lot to notice in this book, which also has a super-sweet ending.
Sarah Sands
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, picture-book
So stinkin' cute and the illustrations are fantastic! The ending is so warm and fuzzy!
Amanda
I enjoyed this one (the illustrations and the details hidden in the pages) and how it showed differences. Math made fun!
Katy

• What Is Given from the Heart
  • Another
  • They All Saw A Cat
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Alfie: (The Turtle That Disappeared)
  • Simon Says Open the Book
  • The Cook and the King
  • A Friend for Henry
  • The End of Something Wonderful: A Practical Guide to a Backyard Funeral
  • My Heart
  • Beneath the Bed and Other Scary Stories: An Acorn Book (Mister Shivers)
  • Llama Destroys the World