Start by marking “Dirt Circus League” as Want to Read:
Dirt Circus League

Dirt Circus League

I stumbled towards the Meat House, my body shaking with the violence that raged within me, as the realisation of the mistake I had made in coming here rose to the surface of my mind. This was the last place I should be. That thought was crossed by another, even more terrifying.
This is exactly where I belong.

Asa’s running from a troubled past. To a remote outback town, a di
Published March 30th 2021 by Text Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Dirt Circus League, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dirt Circus League

Start your review of Dirt Circus League
Cass Moriarty
Apr 02, 2021 rated it really liked it
Strap yourselves in, because DIRT CIRCUS LEAGUE (Text 2021), the debut novel by Maree Kimberley, is quite a ride. This genre-bending story is a violent dystopian fantasy with young adult themes of self-identity and belonging, with an action-packed plot, unusual characters and evil birds. Kimberley has created a strange and unfamiliar scenario set in a familiar world, which only deepens the sense of dislocation and oddness for the reader.
The protagonist, 17-year-old Asa, has run from a troubled
ALPHAreader
Happy Release Day!

Yes, yes; this is a book that I represent as literary agent - full disclosure!

And on that ... I actually "discovered" Maree Kimberley's book in-progress via Varuna The Writers House blog back in 2011: Writer-a-Day: Maree Kimberley reading from “Dirt Circus League”

I loved that excerpt so much, and so badly wanted to keep track of this book - that I bookmarked that page and tucked it away, checking in via Google occasionally to see if the book was out yet. Luckily for me, it'd
Rebecca Hawkins-Lee
Apr 01, 2021 rated it liked it
Ummmmmmm so this book wasn’t really what I expected.... AT ALL! Based on the title and the synopsis, I was expecting a traveling circus troupe up to no good and the main character to become a part of their weird performances or something. That was definitely not the case and I was a little disappointed. I mean don’t get me wrong, I really liked this read in the end, but it wasn’t one that I was expecting. I guess it’s true what they say about assumptions right?

Other than the fact that there was
Taylor
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Dirt Circus League will always hold a special place in my heart.

I feel a strong connection towards Dirt Circus Leagues’ story, setting and characters, especially Asa and Karen.

It is fun and exciting with the Dirt Circus League, however, it was the deep strength of Asas’ character that I fell in love with. There are so many women out there that can relate and connect to Asas’ background and story. This book is for them - encouraging internal (and physical) strength in young women.

Similarly to Asa
Alaina
I have received this ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

When I first saw this, I thought the title was pretty interesting. Then I read the synopsis and I was just had to request it. However, once I dove into Dirt Circus League my opinion was quickly changing.

I'm not going to lie. I was confused for most of this book. It didn't take long for that to really happen because the characters were very frustrating for me. There was zero connection and I didn't really like anyone BUT Ka
Namera [The Literary Invertebrate]
I was massively looking forward to this one, because in my experience Australian YA books are usually excellent. I go in for the contemporaries, and they always have a certain grit and vividness I just don't get from the oversaturated American YA market.

But this particular book was shite. The writing is flatter than Flat Stanley, characters are about as interesting as paper, and the plot makes less sense the more you think about it.

Blog Bookstagram

description
Text Publishing
Jan 14, 2021 is currently reading it
The following book reviews have been shared by Text Publishing – publisher of Dirt Circus League

‘A gripping and intense genre-bender that doesn’t pull punches.'
Sarah Epstein, author of Small Spaces
Kahlia
While I have to admit that I’ve mostly grown out of YA these days, there will always a be special place in my heart for Aussie YA, due to a combination of nostalgia and the fact that Australian YA authors routinely hit it out of the park with stories that are uniquely relatable. Throw in some paranormal elements and I expected to love this book, but sadly it wasn’t the case.

Dirt Circus League follows Asa, who has recently moved to north Queensland from Brisbane, in search of a fresh start. We qu
Jenni Law
Apr 08, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Wow! What an incredible read.
Interesting, engaging, so different from your average YA novels.
I could not put it down and had to finish the book in one sitting.
I was really drawn to Asa the main character who is so courageous and has inspired me to be more so in my life.
I would highly recommend this book
Bear Reads Books
Mar 26, 2021 rated it liked it
Asa does not feel like she fits in anywhere, until she see the Dirt Circus League, a troop of outlaw teens that know how to fight for survival, just like her. Upon joining their community Asa quickly realises that something is not quite right, and she is determined to find out more.
This story is fast paced and exciting, but does not fit neatly into a particular genre. It seems like a near future reality landscape, but also hints at elements of Fantasy. Asa, the main character is very well constr
Trisha
Mar 23, 2021 rated it it was ok
"Gaia, we worship you," they said in unison."

This book has a gorgeous eye-catching cover that I love. But the story was just not my jam.
I didn't mind the 'lord of the flies' type feel of the League. Their fighting and means of survival were interesting and I liked the Memory Temple.

But this story lost me along the lines of the eyes and really lost me with the whole intuitive line. Both of those inserted into the story just made it all feel jumbled. Was this fantasy? Was this supposed to be rea
Bettina Gonzales
Apr 07, 2021 rated it it was amazing
You can publish this in a mobile app so a lot of readers can see your lovely work. Check on NovelStar and see how other writers earn by pursuing their passion in writing.
Siofra
Feb 17, 2021 rated it did not like it
I believe there was supposed to be the Island of Doctor Moreau meets Environmentally group turned cult vibes to this book, but it was in my own opinion a trainwreck.
The story seemed all over the place, the writing confused me way too much, and the characters' actions were so bizarre or didn't fit with who the character was.
I wanted to DNF, but I forced myself to finish.
Tien
Such an eye-catching cover! That bright pink on background of pure black with title in eye-popping neon yellow; overall, one of the best covers I've ever seen. And when you add the word 'circus' to the title, I'm a goner. I have to read this book!

Going by the book description, this book could be contemporary or it could be fantasy. Truthfully, I'm finding it hard to place this book in a certain category but I think I'd actually place it as magical realism which is a bit hit and miss for me so un
Trisha
I guess I wanted more.

Nektaria
Mar 29, 2021 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
*I received an eARC from the publisher via Netgalley (thank you so much) in exchange for an honest review*

I started this book with so much hype, considering how interesting the premise of this book sounded. Asa, a girl facing hardships in her everyday family life, seeks escape at the intriguing "Dirt Circus League", a group living secluded from the rest of the town, warshipping Gaia and having a very unique lifestyle. Oh and there's a high chance they're a dangerous cult and Asa is in trouble! I
Kisha
Mar 27, 2021 rated it did not like it
DIRT CIRCUS LEAGUE: ⭐️
I really didn’t like this book. It felt disjointed and felt too realistic to be fantasy and too fantastical to be realistic. Good idea that needed a better editor.

NOTE: I was provided an arc in exchange for an honest review. Thanks Netgalley!
Ryan Frick
Dec 14, 2018
Mew
added it
Jan 13, 2019

• Wings of Ebony (Wings of Ebony, #1)
  • The Gaps
  • Excuse Me While I Ugly Cry
  • A Lonely Girl is a Dangerous Thing
  • Harmony
  • The True Colour of a Little White Lie
  • Hollow Dolls (Hollow Dolls #1)
  • Off the Map
  • The Short Knife
  • Violet Black (Black Spiral, #1)
  • City of Villains (City of Villains, #1)
Maree (Ree) Kimberley is a writer from Brisbane, Australia. She loves reading, travel, searching for books in second hand stores and everything French.

Her writerly obsessions include weird science, bizarre pets and strange places. She also has a thing for circuses. Maree enjoys combining her obsessions into stories but sometimes she just writes about things that happen.

Maree's genre-busting young