Start by marking “Ricochet” as Want to Read:
Ricochet

Ricochet

When seventeen-year-old Tati sends a saliva sample to a DNA ancestry testing site her results come back inconclusive. What’s wrong with her DNA? And what does it have to do with her unexplained seizures and the beckoning tunnel she sees during them?

What Tati discovers is more than she could have ever imagined possible. Parallel universes exist and her abnormal DNA compels
Published October 8th 2019 by Flux

To ask other readers questions about Ricochet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ricochet

Start your review of Ricochet
Toni
Oct 06, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, science-fiction, 2019
The premise of Ricochet by Kathryn Berla was so intriguing that I didn't hesitate, grabbed the book and started reading straightaway.
There are four points of view, so it took me a bit of time to get used to the four narrators: Tati, Ana, Tanya, and Tatiana. The author clearly put a lot of effort into differentiating their worlds and their voices. In fact, I quickly found myself relating more to one of them than to the others! Two of the protagonists live in the US, having been adopted by America
Lara (Bookish_turtle)
The plot was confusing as HECK, but overall I actually quite enjoyed!!

The premise was quite confusing, and if I could redo the whole experience I would read the blurb first, because it definitely provided crucial information about the novel which I completely missed...

But I thought the characters were really cool!

Overall, even though I was confused at times I wasn't bored while reading, and it is a very clever book!!

Many thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for providing me with a review copy
Al *the semi serial series skipper*
Fans of Orphan Black will enjoy this one.

***I received this ARC courtesy of Netgallery in exchange for an honest review***

A 5 star book downgraded to 3 stars because of that ending.

This was a very terrific book. I absolutely loved the premise but the ending left me wanting more.

Tatiana has been experiencing seizures since she was a kid, despite being on several medications. She has been tested and tested over again and their is no medical basis for her seizure. During her episodes she sees her
Carrie
Nov 02, 2020 rated it liked it
Review coming soon.
Rigel
Jul 31, 2019 rated it did not like it
This book had so much potential... but oh boy, where do I start?
First of all, It was confusing. Switching between four parallel universes following nearly identical characters with the same name? By the end I couldn't even remember who was who anymore. Should be the other way around, right? Well it wasn't.
Oh by the way, don't claim that your characters are geniuses and the write them as idiots.
Plot? What plot? 75% book was dedicated to... well I don't even know what it was trying to do. Nothing
Théo M. (bookswiththeo)
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arcs
"Ricochet" is an entertaining and very interesting story about a girl who is able to communicate with herself in parallel universes. I found myself thoroughly enjoying the actual premise of the novel. It was original, and unlike anything I've read before.

The story is relatively fast-paced, and is good entertainment. However, it does struggle with world building and the story is neither written in chronological fashion nor in a way that really makes sense. There were a lot of time jumps between
thewoollygeek (tea, cake, crochet & books)
The premise for this sounded so good and I was looking forward to this so much , but I just couldn’t get into it at all. I tried, I really did, but it was just all over the place and too confusing , the POVs don’t help at to that. Just not for me, sorry.

Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for a free copy for an honest opinion
Mary S. R.
Jul 12, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mary by: TABI⁷ (ᕗツ)ᕗ
2.25 STARS
The one thing I didn't feel with this book was actually confused. Instead, I felt a great amount frustration at themes and ideas going to waste. Not to forget—this is the type of science fiction where the science is a mere convenience and completely butchered.

I received an ARC through NetGalley for an honest review.
Jen
Sep 04, 2020 rated it it was ok
Meh.

Currently into the whole parallel worlds thing so finally picked this one up. It was admittedly a little disappointing. The book being split into four rotating chapters didn't give me room to actually get to know/like any of the Tatyana's I met aside from the first - but only because she was the first.

I think as well for a long time - half the book- there was no sense of danger/conflict so I was just reading about these four girls and wondering why they had the access to each other that the
Mike
Apr 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, netgalley, well-edited
Unusual, in that it's told from the viewpoints of four different versions of one 17-year-old girl, living in alternate realities.

Two are living in America, with loving adoptive parents. Tati has a pretty idyllic life, apart from the fact that she has random and medically inexplicable seizures. Ana doesn't have it quite so good, but her life is OK. She has the seizures too.

So does Tanya, who escaped from Russia with her increasingly mentally unstable mother, and isn't allowed to leave their run
Rubayet  Nusrat
Apr 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This books was a totally amazing read. I am not that much into sifi, but I enjoyed this one .it deals with parallel universes and does that well. The narration was good, especially while describing the scientific events or facts. science fictions sometimes lack the poetic appeal of a book which I look for, but this book didn't have that problem. I liked the ending. It would make a good movie also.
Really lucky to receive the arc from netgalley.
Jheelkamal Nayak
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was ok
I really really wanted to like this story. It had everything I love : parallel universe, gay representation, psychological thriller. But it fell flat. The beginning parts were really confusing and even though Kathryn Berla tried hard (i guess) the characters, for the most part, were unrelatable. The book was very slow paced and confusing to say the least.
Alexandra WhimsyPages
Frankly, I don’t know what to think about this book.

The idea of multiple universes and DNA experiments was amazing. I really loved the different points of view and how different Tati, Ana, Tanya and Tatiana (variations of the same name) were and what each of them had to go through.

The blurb for «Ricochet» was masterfully crafted to attract the attention of Sci-Fi readers, but I don’t know if that was the right move. I really wanted more information about the DNA alterations, about the experime
Alice Rachel
Mar 16, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully written, a plot that was well-woven, and engaging characters.

CW: This book contains queer characters! Bigots beware! 😏
Antonella's book world
1 STAR

YOU CAN ALSO FIND THIS REVIEW ON MY BLOG https://antonellasbookworld.blogspot....

I had a hard time getting through this book. I read lots of reviews about it and there are basically all positive, but I honestly don't find lots of positive things in this book starting from the very focus of the story: the multiverse theory.
I'm not that informed on it and I don't know so much about that kind of physics and theories. This book should have explained it better, because everything is ver
Annette Jordan
I am always intrigued by books which use a multiverse type theory, so when I read the description of this one I thought it sounded like something I would really enjoy. The book opens with Tati, one of four narrators, each of which is a different version of the same girl. Tati is a happy, intelligent teenage girl living in the USA with her adoptive parents, When she and her girlfriend decide to do a DNA test as part of a school project, her results are strangely inconclusive and this sets her on ...more
Sage Collins
Apr 08, 2019 rated it liked it

The book centers around the idea of parallel universes, with one girl, Tatiana, split into four versions of herself. Each version suffers from something like seizures, which are revealed to be tunnels between the girls so they could (potentially) visit each other. Tati has what the American audience would probably consider a pretty decent life: a girlfriend who loves her, (adoptive) parents who love her, amazing grades...not a care in the world beyond whether her girlfriend dropping th
Paige Green
Feb 17, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disclaimer: I received this book from the publisher and netgalley. Thanks! All opinions are my own.

Book: Ricochet

Author: Katheryn Berla

Book Series: Standalone

Rating: 2/5

Publication Date: October 8, 2019

Publisher: North Star Editions

Pages: 328

Recommended Age: 16+ (some violence, science stuff)

Synopsis: When seventeen-year-old Tati sends a saliva sample to a DNA ancestry testing site her results come back inconclusive. What’s wrong with her DNA? And what does it have to do with her unexplained sei
T.R. Horne
Dec 03, 2019 rated it liked it
I enjoyed Kathryn Berla's new sci-fi novel, Richochet. The story covers the idea of a multiverse and a scientist who uses his daughter as an experiment to test the limits of the multiverse. He has successfully allowed his daughter to travel between the multiverse to four different lives of herself. She sees how decisions that were made had a different outcome for her life. Ana, Tati, Tatyana and Tanya must all work together to find some way to help each others lives. While the story was very int ...more
Heather Bass
Nov 09, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is the first book I have read from this author and now she has a new fan. This is a young adult sci-fi fantasy like no other. When I started this book I couldn’t put it down. These characters suck you in like you are in their world. It only took me a couple of days to devour this amazing story.

Tati is your typical seventeen year old girl. She doesn’t know it but her world is going to turn upside down. Tati sends a dna sample to find out her ancestry but she doesn’t get the answers she was
Felix Hommy Gonzalez
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
*I received the eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.* Ricochet is a fast paced novel, full of twists and surprises, with a very intriguing premise: what if it were possible to travel between parallel universes? It’s a good book to read during a weekend (or for a readathon). It’s entertaining, and you will run through it. But keep in mind that you may be left wanting a little bit more...

What I liked:
1. Fast paced! Non stop action and emotion!
2. It hooked me! I read it in just a c
KayCee K
How do I review this? Because I don't wait to give a single thing away. I knew very little about this book. All I knew about this book was the first line of the blurb. (When seventeen-year-old Tati sends a saliva sample to a DNA ancestry testing site her results come back inconclusive.) That's all I needed to know to make me wait to read this book. So, if that line draws you in, stop reading the review or the blurb and wait till you can read the book yourself if you need more than, please finish ...more
Stacia | stacialovestoread
*thank you to Flux Publishing and to Netgalley for this free copy in exchange for an honest review*

Ricochet is a sci-fi story set in (what I’d say is the near future) where somehow 1 girl has had her DNA spliced into 4 separate persons: Tati, Ana, Tatyana, and Tanya.

First thing that I find a bit problematic is that some characters share interactions with people of the same name, along different timelines (Tati and Ana both attend a school with a Priya and Andrew in attendance, but they aren’t t
Sammie
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
I want to start off by saying I typically do not like fantasy or sci-fi, so I was apprehensive to say the least.

This book is about Tatiana and her alternate universe selves. Initially it was hard for me to keep the different lives straight, but after a few chapters, I was able to tell them apart.

I found this book exciting! It was refreshing to have a YA that didn’t center on romance. There was a romance but it wasn’t a theme critical to the plot line.

I highly recommend this book. I did receiv
Kim
Mar 28, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
I received this book from netgalley in exchange for my honest review.

I didn't like it, I had such hopes because of the idea of it, but I got so lost in the who was who and the details, I don't really understand some things, how if they weren't merged did the dog color change, and the blanket? How did other people see them things like that.

It was not easy to sink into this book and read it, it took me forever and most of the time I wanted to give up, but I wanted to know the end of it a little
Olga
Sep 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Twice I’ve read a novel by Kathryn Berla and she keeps surprising me. This story presents us four different but not-so-different parallel universes where the “same” girl has her own story and problems to solve.

The plot was soo interesting that I couldn’t stop reading although a few times I felt a little bit lost because the storyline was sometimes confusing. There were a lot of descriptions which I didn’t mind but made me read slower.

However, the idea of parallel universes was amazing and I co
Jenni Bishop
Nov 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Ricochet by Kathryn Berla is a YA sci fi that has an interesting premise but it was slow to get into. The story was a little hard to keep track of because it jumped between past and present but also between characters. I never really settled into the story and felt that even though interesting it could have been more. The characters didn’t really grab me I felt like they need more substance as did the worlds in which they lived.

Whilst it didn’t meet my expectations doesn’t mean you shouldn’t gi
Aoife
Oct 11, 2019 rated it it was ok
I'm late reviewing this because I've been trying to decide what to say. I didn't enjoy it. Too confusing even though I know about the multiverse theory already; I can't imagine trying to read this without knowing. I still don't understand who the other three girls got to their universe, and I didn't understand the ending. It's not badly written, just confusing. Not a good one for me.
Taylor Bain
Mar 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
since the majority of books i “read” are audiobooks i gave myself an A-Z challenge to physically read at least one book for each letter in the alphabet.... this is R.

i wasn’t super into this. i picked it up because of the interesting premise and i saw a review saying that fans of orphan black would like this. i ADORE orphan black. this wasn’t anywhere close to that masterpiece.

meh.
Kärt
Oct 04, 2019 rated it it was ok
I received an eARC of this from NetGalley, but that in no way affects my opinion on this book.

First of all, for like a quarter of the book I had no clue what was going on, it was all just SO confusing. The whole parallel universes concept was really fascinating, but the way it was all built just didn't do it for me. I feel like two universes would have been enough to keep it all going, the rest were overkill.

I would've enjoyed it a lot more if two of the universes were developed more. So even th
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Fire & Ice (Spicetopia #3)
  • Naughty & Nice (Spicetopia #4)
  • The Memory Thief
  • Amy's Santa: Satan's Devils MC (Second Generation) #1
  • Revive (Rewind #3)
  • Journeys Through SpaceTime
  • Falling For His Badass (Heroes For Hire Romance)
  • Six Goodbyes We Never Said
  • Loving Jake (Almost Perfect, #1)
  • The Runaround (Carolina Connections #6)
  • Shadow Frost (Shadow Frost, #1)
  • Catfishing on CatNet (CatNet #1)
  • Forget Nico: Falling for the Wrong Italian (The Italian Saga #3)
  • Somebody in the Neighborhood
  • Imposter (Ash Park, #7)
  • Forbidden Love: Written by Lisa Jones Gentry as Told by Their Son Joe Steele