Start by marking “Girl Crushed” as Want to Read:
Girl Crushed

Girl Crushed

Leah on the Offbeat meets We Are Okay in this pitch-perfect queer romance about falling in love and never quite falling out of it--heartbreak, unexpected new crushes, and all.

Before Quinn Ryan was in love with Jamie Rudawski, she loved Jamie Rudawski, who was her best friend. But when Jamie dumps Quinn a month before their senior year, Quinn is suddenly girlfriend-less and
Published April 7th 2020 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Girl Crushed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Girl Crushed

Start your review of Girl Crushed
Tova
Apr 16, 2019 marked it as minion-voice-eh-no
If you identify as bisexual (as I do) then you are still bisexual in any of the following situations*:
- if you are dating someone who is the same gender as you
- if you are dating someone who is not the same gender as you
- if you are dating someone who is transgender
- if you are dating someone who is cis
- if you are dating someone who is nonbinary
- if you are dating someone who is genderqueer
- if you are dating someone who is genderfluid
- if you are dating someone who is pansexual
- if you are da
Ann Elise Monte
Oct 06, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
I received an email telling me my review had been removed, but that turned out not to be the case. However, because I would rather not be blamed for Goodreads' own problems, I'm taking it down and replacing it with this one.

I will not read this book. I am not permitted to say why and have been threatened to have my account put "under review" if I dare do such a thing as warn my fellow bisexuals about one of the very specific reasons I have for not reading this book.

I would like anyone reading th
cate
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope, read-in-2019, 1-star
in this house, we say no to biphobia and biphobic authors.
nitya
Apr 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
My review was deleted too but I’ll post another anyway.

Don’t support this biphobic author, and biphobia in general. The author’s “apology” is a joke, and there are way better books by bi authors that don’t promote awful stereotypes!
kayla
Apr 06, 2020 rated it did not like it
i'm so sad i can't love this book. i really wanted to, but the overwhelming amount of biphobia is so disappointing to me as a bisexual person. it's not outright (i.e. saying bi people don't exist) but its woven into every comment the MC makes about "straight girl this" and "straight girl that" because "i'm a lesbian i know when girls aren't straight" and never acknowledges the possibility those girls could be bisexual or any other sexuality other than straight.

you're still bisexual if you've on
R.C.
Apr 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
The biphobia JUMPED OUT
Samantha
Apr 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
My original comment was removed but it still stands that I will NOT be supporting this book.
cheryl_bombshell
May 29, 2020 rated it it was amazing
*takes deep breath* I don’t wanna talk about it yet, my heart still hurts too much
Jen • Just One More Page
An openly biphobic author trying to write F/F? Yikes.
Taylor
Sep 20, 2019 rated it did not like it
I got an email saying my review was removed so I'll just repost it. I only wrote:

"I wonder if the girl in the story is as crushed as the author's career."

If whoever flagged it couldnt take that then they clearly never went to high school because that's tame af 😂 But im not here for phobia of any kind so I'd give it 0 stars if I could!
Katie O
Feb 10, 2020 rated it did not like it
Okay, I'm writing this review, after having put it off for like 2 weeks because SO MANY FEELINGS.

In the words of Kelly Kapoor.... "I've got a question: How dare you?"

I started Girl Crushed with crazy high expectations. I adore YA lit, and I adore representation, especially when it comes to positive and healthy F/F romantic relationships--which, correct me if I'm wrong, have been severely lacking almost every LGBTQ+ book I read. (No really, correct me if I'm wrong. I seriously need to find these
Em
Apr 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Hello! I hate to engage with Goodreads “discourse” (the reviews written on this site barely qualify, let’s be real), but here we go: I’m a bisexual person who really enjoyed this book and didn’t find it to be biphobic in the slightest. It’s so disappointing to see folks pile on a book they didn’t even read. Katie Heaney writes wonderfully engaging memoir and fiction, and I’m sad for folks who aren’t going to give themselves the opportunity to read her work.
Laura I.
This was basically my ideal queer YA book. It dealt with some real issues and feelings (first breakup, dad stuff, college/future stress, and such a good depiction of anxiety), but it was still always delightful and often laugh-out-loud funny. There was just enough “what will happen” tension, romantically and otherwise, to keep me feeling like all I wanted to do was keep reading, but it was also nice and slice-of-life-y, and didn’t create big drama just for the sake of it.

I especially loved the
Emily Carrick
Apr 22, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books
like drinking an iced vanilla latte at your favorite coffee shop, sitting across the table from your best friend. i wish i’d been able to read this at 15 years old, and i’m so grateful other people can. 3 cheers for katie heaney 🥰
Noah
Nov 25, 2019 marked it as not-gonna-happen
Shelves: authors-i-avoid
Goodreads keeps removing my reviews saying why I Will Not be reading this book, so let me just state (for the 3rd time) that under no circumstances will I be reading this book, or anything by this author. I'm apparently not allowed to say why though.
Hannah Orenstein
Jan 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book feels so entirely authentic to the teenage experience — only injected with a few wiser emotions that created such a satisfying reading experience. It's easy to root for Quinn, her friends, her crush, and even her ex.
Saniya
So this wasn’t capital B biohobic but something felt off the entire time.
** edit: I take it back I just explained the issues with the book to a friend and this is Biphobic for SURE. Bi character isn’t able to commit, hasn’t loved anyone, super flaky and not emotive, mostly dates guys, assumed straight because she’s pretty and is seen dating guys so she’s obvi straight. Biphobic. End Of.**

Like it is evident that chapters were changed but I couldn’t pin point which ones. Ruby seemed like a really
Anna Banana
May 04, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: f-f, lgbt-reads
I wish the MC being called out for basically acting like bisexuality doesn't exist and that if a girl dated a guy or didn't loudly proclaim their sexuality (in the way they dressed, looked, etc) meant they couldn't possibly be gay didn't happen until nearly 3/4 into the book.
Isabel ✰
Apr 05, 2020 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtq, romance, ya
Deep sigh. Another flop.

Girl Crushed is about a girl named Quinn navigating high school having just broken up with her girlfriend, applying to colleges, dealing with her parents' drama, trying to save her favorite coffee shop, and developing feelings for a new girl.

This book was a disappointment.

After being sent home due to COVID, I went on NetGalley and requested a bunch of cute looking romcoms as a little pick-me-up without checking how they were doing so far on Goodreads. But I saw the low r
Anna
Apr 01, 2020 rated it did not like it
What a disappointment. The worst part about this book is that the book itself isn't THAT bad. It isn't great, but it's not a terrible addition to f/f queer YA. The issue lies instead with the author and her history or biphopic behavior. She has publicly stated that bi women who marry a man are actually straight and just asking for attention. She has tried to apologize but it was half assed and not authentic. She's basically a part of the very small portion of the queer community that shits on ev ...more
Andrew
Nov 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lgbtq
Quinn thought everything was coming up roses until her girlfriend-slash-best-friend, Jamie, dumps her under the assumption they'll break up after graduation. Conflicted and heartbroken, Quinn needs to navigate the idea and reality of a future without Jamie and her together, while also finding herself drawn to her classmate Ruby, an aloof musician-- whom Quinn thought was straight, but it seems like Ruby might be into her, too. Girl Crushed is a senior year of bittersweet growth not just for Quin ...more
Natalie
Jul 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
Let me just preface by saying that I am writing this review only on the basis of the book itself, rather than any previous comments by the author which
I do not agree with.

I really enjoyed this; I thought it was an excellent queer YA novel. I liked that it didn't touch on the typical coming out storyline, but rather first love
and college stresses. I absolutely loved Quinn as a MC and the numerous USWNT references. I follow a few of the US soccer players and l loved seeing Quinn as a future Ashlyn
Abi (The Knights Who Say Book)
Well, I didn't mean to read this. When I saw the author's biphobic jokes and non-apology on twitter last year (apology now deleted — real mature), I decided I wouldn't be reading her upcoming book. Then many months passed and I requested it on netgalley without recognizing the author's name until I got 20% into it. So I played myself.

And honestly, I did like the book. It's pretty funny. It has realistic high school awkwardness and lot of sweet wlw content and so many wonderful female relationshi
Ana Ramos
Apr 19, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm gonna be honest and state the fact that I only read it by how much controversy cause to lgbtq+ community last year.
description

If I'm not wrong, the author rewrited most of the book after getting lots of reviews claiming that the story was somehow offending the bisexual community but since I got late to the tea, I can only speak about her corrected version.

In my personal opinion, I didn't felt at any moment that it was being offensive in any way towards lgbtq+ community or being biphobic at all. If th
Suzanne
Apr 10, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I wondered at first why I was approved for a digital galley of Girl Crushed, as YA publicists tend to get far too many requests and can be selective etc.
Anyway, now I know. It’s because if you’re a bisexual reader hoping for an f/f rom-com, this book will slap you in the face over and over until you give up and either stop reading f/f for a while or find some way to have hope again that maybe that next f/f romance will not erase or actively hate on your identity.

I was excited, I wanted to love t
Ashley
Mar 29, 2020 marked it as dnf
I received a free e-copy from netgalley for review.

DNF at 54%. Nothing horrendously wrong with it, I'm just soooo bored.
kelly {BookCrushin}
Apr 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
This was exactly what I expected. It is called Girl CRUSHED. My heart hurts as these girls struggle find their place and their hearts.
Renae McBrian
May 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
I don't have time for biphobic asshole authors and their bullshit biphobic, poorly written books.
Amy!
This was really cute. It didn't end the way I was expecting it to, but I liked how Heaney wrapped it up.

Quinn's crushes and anxiety about dating and life after high school are SO relatable.
Danielle Vondrak
Apr 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! As a bi lady who wasn’t out in high school and lived in a very conservative place, this book perfectly captured what it felt like to crush on seemingly straight girls that you thought would never be into you. This book was honest. I felt it confronted assumptions that people, including myself, can have about others’ sexuality. I also felt it held a very loving mirror up to members of the queer community who have written off the bi community, treated us as if we aren’t “gay eno ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• You Should See Me in a Crown
  • No One Is Too Small to Make a Difference
  • If We Were Us
  • My Eyes Are Up Here
  • Look
  • Date Me, Bryson Keller
Katie Heaney is the author of Public Relations, Dear Emma, and Never Have I Ever, as well as the forthcoming memoir Would You Rather? (Penguin Random House, February 2018). Her writing has also appeared in New York magazine online, Cosmopolitan, The Atlantic, Racked, and The Hairpin, among other places. She lives in Brooklyn.