Start by marking “Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You” as Want to Read:
Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You is a story of music, obsession, violence, and madness by Scotto Moore

I was home alone on a Saturday night when I experienced the most beautiful piece of music I had ever heard in my life.

Beautiful Remorse is the hot new band on the scene, releasing one track a day for ten days straight. Each track has a mysterious name and a strangely pow
Published February 5th 2019 by St. Martins Press-3PL (first published July 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You

destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Here's the thing about Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You: it is bizarre and creepy and incredibly subversive, which are all amazing things as far as I'm concerned, but there's one small problem. It makes it really difficult to review without spoiling anything. That's not a complaint by any means, but I wanted to be up-front with why this review will be so short and vague.

Given that it's a novella (and an incredibly quick read, even for its length), and that the action starts up pretty fast and
Petrik
Oct 20, 2018 rated it liked it
ARC provided by the publisher—Tor.com—in exchange for an honest review.

2.5/5 stars

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You would’ve been a better novella if I was the right audience for the genre.

I'll keep this review very brief. If it weren’t due to the fact that I was given an ARC for this book, I honestly wouldn’t have read it. It’s not that the novella sounds bad but more because it’s totally outside of my usual SFF read. In fact, it was so different from my reading preferences that I don’t even k
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/03/04/...

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You ended up being as quirky and wild as its title suggests, and quite honestly, it’s rare for a book to be this weird but for me to still like it so much. While you could technically classify it as science fiction with a light sprinkling of cosmic horror, at the end of the day, I believe this strange and slightly freaky novella is simply too unique to be pigeonholed into any one category.

I a
Fiona
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on Soundcloud, where it's available here: https://soundcloud.com/scotto2317/set...

When a music blogger discovers the hottest new track to hit his ears in a while, it's not long before he discovers that there might be more behind the music than just a catchy beat.

This was well-narrated and I enjoyed the story itself as well - the blogger's our narrator, and sometimes makes some terrible decisions, but at every stage he's honest about it and really sounds like a blogger.

This i
Timy
Actual rating: 3.5*

The review was originally posted on my blog!

It's been a while since I've finished Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You but I still don't really know what to think about it. The first word that comes to mind is, weird.

At the beginning I was hooked. The story is about a popular music blogger who discovers a new band called Beautiful Remorse and shares their music with the world. Unexpectedly, it seems like everyone who hears it, gets somehow addicted to it no matter what are thei
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"I was obliterated, really. Just sort of crushed into atoms. And then without warning, something gathered me up in a deep, luscious embrace and reassembled me. I could feel it--I could feel her consoling me, sweeping away the emptiness, signaling the absolute fact of something greater than both of us just out of sight."

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You is a horror/sci-fi novella about a dude that has a music blog called Much Preferred Customers. His musical tastes are eclectic, so when he comes
Roy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Dont really know what to classify this as genre wise. Suspense, thriller and scifi maybe? Its really plot driven which is what most novellas are due to their size. I liked the initial setup but it didnt really have the most exciting payoff.
Sumit
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightfully fun romp that any music nerd will enjoy the heck out of. I'd say more but the way the story unfolds is so unique I think I would detract from the reader's joy by even discussing the structure. I listened to the audiobook version, read in the author's voice, and found the narration to be excellent. It's a short read/listen (the audiobook is just over two hours), with a lot of surprises packed into that time.
Amanda
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. WOW. That was freaking GREAT! Weird music, an awkward confused narrator, just the right amount of "WTF is going on" and some deliciously Lovecraftian weirdness towards the end, but more aliens than monsters. Or both. Or neither. I don't know and I love it.

Let me go ahead and tell you, aireemacpherson.tumblr.com is a real page with stuff on it going back almost three years, AND there's a Bandcamp for Beautiful Remorse with, sadly, just one song on it. I LOVE IT when an author dedicates that
Lauren
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-fun
Beautiful Remorse is your new favorite band. You couldn’t say why if asked. You couldn’t even really say anything about the lyrics. But their music does something for you. To you. It’s like nothing you’ve ever heard, and their singer, Airee MacPherson. She’s fantastic, completely out of this world. Strange things keep happening with each new track they release. Beautiful Remorse is your new favorite band, and your favorite band cannot save you.

Scotto Moore’s Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You: a
Melliane
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

This is a surprising and strange novel. I didn’t know the author or the title at all, but I must admit that the whole thing was very intriguing.

The synopsis perfectly explains the story and we are following a blogger who is passionate about music and who discovers a new band. Their music transcends everything, evokes amazing emotions and our hero would like to understand what is going on. Embarked on the tour of this group, he awaits each new song with curios
Brandt
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, music
So I do a weekly radio show.

Every week I spin two hours of bands that most of you have likely never heard of, although it's possible. And with a few years of forced exile, I've been doing this since 1993, an on Sundays here in Cleveland since 2003. And the fact of the matter is, I'd like to think after doing independent radio for twenty-five years and going to literally thousands of shows, I'd like to think I know how things work for small bands out there trying to grow an audience.

Take for exam
Alex Sarll
Another book about the best band you've never heard of, which I perhaps shouldn't have embarked on so soon after This Is Memorial Device, though a jacket quote from Kieron Gillen meant this one was already on my radar some time before I picked that one up on a whim. And where that was about the insularity of small-town scenes in the offline era, this is about the very different sort of insularity which links music bloggers, separated by hundreds of miles but linked by various hidden chat channel ...more
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A... strange book. Not a bad book, but it also kind of felt like it went off the deep end. Some of the writing was a bit stilted and repetitive, which (at times) felt intentional and, at others... not so much. This story honestly stretched my suspension of disbelief a little too much (the tentacles from the sky seemed to come out of nowhere, with little to no build-up). In fact, that was this book in a nutshell: Little to no build-up. There was no mystery, and, therefore, no real wonder. To this ...more
Kurt
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
If you're moved by music or the occult or cosmic horror, or especially, if you're super-psyched about the intersection of all three of those mayhem-mothers, then this is your total bag for most definitely and sure. The author is a playwright, and although this is not a play transposed into novella form, there's certainly a different sensibility at work here than average. Very clever, but also existentially visceral and totally, awesomely BONKERS in all the best ways.

Highly recommended for anyon
unknown
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, that was delightfully wicked. A perfect length, without a wasted page. Lots of nerdy process-y blogger/internet shit that I appreciated. Killer ending. Read it in-between volumes of Wicked + the Divine.
Arbys Mom
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This blew me away. I had no idea where it would end up. Very enjoyable and yet so different from what I usually read. Well written, engaging characters, vivid settings, humorous at times but not overwhelming. I intend to read it again a bit more slowly.
morgan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
(Follow @morganreadsalot on Instagram for more reviews)
Thank you @tordotcom for this free book

This novella takes the saying, “never meet your heroes” to a whole new level, in this case; the level where meeting your new fave band might make you an accomplice to the apocalypse, maybe? I’d say that goes way past eleven. (raise your hand if you get that reference.)

The voice is extremely familiar; the same tone, passion, and slightest hint of snobbery that I hear in the voices of friends who are majo
Chad M
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4. Story I haven't heard before. Very original and an enjoyable read.
Gabriella Crivilare
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was WILD.

Edited to add: Go to Airee's blog on Tumblr. It's absolutely fascinating.
Matthew
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy and enthralling. I loved it. Full review to come.
Igor
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and energetic ride through a world where music can be magic, stuffed with a lot of dark humor and several "wow, so that just happened" moments :)
Kathleen
Feb 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Scotto Moore’s novella, "Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You," proved a wild ride.

The narrator, a music blogger, becomes obsessed with a new band, Beautiful Remorse,  whose music he discovers through a Google alert to another obscure band.   He spends all Saturday night listening to their first song over and over.  And his physical reaction when he comes to himself Sunday morning is extreme exhaustion.

He does research before blogging about Beautiful Remorse.

I was beginning to want more informatio
Callum
Feb 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2019-releases
Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You is a weird, compulsively readable Lovecraftian adventure. While it suffers from some shallow side-characters, the sheer insanity of the plot and the great first-person narration make it an easy recommendation.

When a music blogger stumbles across a band on SoundCloud that makes him listen to a 6 minute track on repeat for hours at a time, he has to announce it to everyone he knows. But the nature of the band, who are releasing one new song a day up to the full
Karma
Feb 03, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This starts out as an intriguing supernatural mystery against the backdrop of (a caricature of, I presume) music blogger circles, turns into horror, and finally escalates into a kind of Lovecraftian Hair Metal Fantasy straight from an eighties album cover inspired by the Highlander sequels. If all of that sounds good to you, go grab it. If you're in for the latter, you'll still have a good time. If you come for the former only, stay away.

I didn't find the shift between those things particularly
JoeK
Apr 02, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story was quite a bit of fun, and it was quite an entertaining ride while it was happening, but looking back afterward to review it, I realize where the problems were. A sign of good writing is you only notice the problems afterward. The main thing was that most of the characters were pretty awful people (or really stupid). The unnamed protagonist "Herald" willingly participates in the horrors that ensue after he becomes involved with the band because he is addicted to the music the way oth ...more
Wendy
May 05, 2019 rated it liked it
It’s often the case that something has to give in short works—plot, character, scope—because there just isn’t enough room. This book loses character depth/development in favor of plot. That isn’t necessarily a bad thing though, given the themes and the nature of the horror. It did make me care less about the characters, however. Their fates weren’t going to affect me. The plot questions mattered most and the answers I got were pretty satisfying. This is a quick read and an interesting one. I did ...more
Pamela
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Actual rating: 3.75

A really entertaining book! I don't want to give anything away because it's the way I went into this boko and I enjoyed so much discovering little by little the weirdness that is Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You. For any fan of sci-fi, this is a fun novella to pick up, original and with a great build up that makes you read through it in one sitting.

The ending was a bit of a let down for me, not because of how it ended, but by how short and brusque it was. I would've loved a
Michael Kahan
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
I picked this up because I'm a big fan of Kieron Gillen's work and this seemed similar to several of his creator-owned projects. However, this book seems to eschew metaphor entirely. The music and how it makes you feel aren't a cipher for something more. The power gained by the singer isn't a comment on the feeling of what it is to be on stage and the focus of an audience. In fact, we only get to 'see' the one performance. So, in the end, my expectations made me go into this book expecting and h ...more
Marzie
Feb 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc-paper
This is an odd novella with a mystery that transitions into... Lovecraft? While the underlying premise was really cool I didn't feel that the execution was quite there. Still a fun read but the pacing was such that I really didn't feel engaged in the story, care about the characters or feel that any of them were memorable. This is the first Tor novella I've read since Alice Payne Arrives that didn't seem fully... crystallized. I think this story might have been better suited for a longer novella ...more