Start by marking “Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You” as Want to Read:
Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You is a story of music, obsession, violence, and madness by Scotto Moore

I was home alone on a Saturday night when I experienced the most beautiful piece of music I had ever heard in my life.

Published February 5th 2019 by St. Martins Press-3PL (first published July 10th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You

Start your review of Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You
Petrik
ARC provided by the publisher—Tor.com—in exchange for an honest review.

2.5/5 stars

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You would’ve been a better novella if I was the right audience for the genre.

I'll keep this review very brief. If it weren’t due to the fact that I was given an ARC for this book, I honestly wouldn’t have read it. It’s not that the novella sounds bad but more because it’s totally outside of my usual SFF read. In fact, it was so different from my reading preferences that I don’t even
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2019/03/04/...

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You ended up being as quirky and wild as its title suggests, and quite honestly, it’s rare for a book to be this weird but for me to still like it so much. While you could technically classify it as science fiction with a light sprinkling of cosmic horror, at the end of the day, I believe this strange and slightly freaky novella is simply too unique to be pigeonholed into any one category.

I
destiny ♡⚔♡ [howling libraries]
Here's the thing aboutYour Favorite Band Cannot Save You:it isbizarreandcreepyandincredibly subversive, which are all amazing things as far as I'm concerned, but there's one small problem.It makes itreally difficultto review without spoiling anything.That's not a complaint by any means, but I wanted to be up-front with why this review will be so short and vague.

Given that it's a novella (and an incredibly quick read, even for its length), and that the action starts up pretty fast and never
Kate
Jul 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2019
4.25/5stars

Wow. This was the oddest little book I’ve read in a LONG time and I read some WEIRD shit
Rian Henry
I wasn't expecting that at all. I honestly thought this was just about a guy who is obsessed with this band, but turned out to be so much more than that.
Fiona
Oct 09, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this on Soundcloud, where it's available here: https://soundcloud.com/scotto2317/set...

When a music blogger discovers the hottest new track to hit his ears in a while, it's not long before he discovers that there might be more behind the music than just a catchy beat.

This was well-narrated and I enjoyed the story itself as well - the blogger's our narrator, and sometimes makes some terrible decisions, but at every stage he's honest about it and really sounds like a blogger.

This
Timy
Actual rating: 3.5*

The review was originally posted on my blog!

It's been a while since I've finished Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You but I still don't really know what to think about it. The first word that comes to mind is, weird.

At the beginning I was hooked. The story is about a popular music blogger who discovers a new band called Beautiful Remorse and shares their music with the world. Unexpectedly, it seems like everyone who hears it, gets somehow addicted to it no matter what are
Holly (The Grimdragon)
"I was obliterated, really. Just sort of crushed into atoms. And then without warning, something gathered me up in a deep, luscious embrace and reassembled me. I could feel it--I could feel her consoling me, sweeping away the emptiness, signaling the absolute fact of something greater than both of us just out of sight."

Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You is a horror/sci-fi novella about a dude that has a music blog called Much Preferred Customers. His musical tastes are eclectic, so when he comes
Lauren
Apr 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: just-for-fun
Beautiful Remorse is your new favorite band. You couldn’t say why if asked. You couldn’t even really say anything about the lyrics. But their music does something for you. To you. It’s like nothing you’ve ever heard, and their singer, Airee MacPherson. She’s fantastic, completely out of this world. Strange things keep happening with each new track they release. Beautiful Remorse is your new favorite band, and your favorite band cannot save you.

Scotto Moore’s Your Favorite Band Cannot Save You: a
Roy
Mar 03, 2019 rated it liked it
Dont really know what to classify this as genre wise. Suspense, thriller and scifi maybe? Its really plot driven which is what most novellas are due to their size. I liked the initial setup but it didnt really have the most exciting payoff.
LAPL Reads
Aug 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
It’s happened to all of us. You hear a song and it instantly raises your spirits. Or, you hear a different song and it instantly makes you feel melancholy. Some music makes you want to move, while other music makes you want to relax and be still. Something reminds you of a song and then it is repeatedly playing in your head all day long. Music elicits reactions, whether wanted or unwanted. But what if music were used, intentionally, for questionable purposes? This is the intriguing question ...more
The Artisan Geek
May 18, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: bookcase
4/6/19
Overall, I'd say that this story has potential, but not enough pages. The premise is pretty cool: a mysterious band pops up, saying they will release one track a day for ten days. Every is infatuated when the first song comes out, but things slowly take a darker turn. I really liked the eerie feel this story had, but as the story went on, I realised that there was just too much going on for the length of the story. Extradimensional beings, psychic powers, heads exploding, people dying, and
Sumit
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A delightfully fun romp that any music nerd will enjoy the heck out of. I'd say more but the way the story unfolds is so unique I think I would detract from the reader's joy by even discussing the structure. I listened to the audiobook version, read in the author's voice, and found the narration to be excellent. It's a short read/listen (the audiobook is just over two hours), with a lot of surprises packed into that time.
Jonathan Maas
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great modern day tale of music

Awhile ago I read Jacob Slichters So You Want to be a Rock Star - his long road with Semisonic to a 90s hit with Closing Time.

That was the 90s. Thus tale is about music now.

The main character is a music blogger, and he finds a great track on Band camp. Uploads it and boom - everyone is listening to it, and bad things start happening.

I won't tell you what happens next, but for now know that this is a great tale.
Amanda
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Wow. WOW. That was freaking GREAT! Weird music, an awkward confused narrator, just the right amount of "WTF is going on" and some deliciously Lovecraftian weirdness towards the end, but more aliens than monsters. Or both. Or neither. I don't know and I love it.

Let me go ahead and tell you, aireemacpherson.tumblr.com is a real page with stuff on it going back almost three years, AND there's a Bandcamp for Beautiful Remorse with, sadly, just one song on it. I LOVE IT when an author dedicates that
Melliane
Mar 10, 2019 rated it liked it
Mon avis en Français

My English review

This is a surprising and strange novel. I didn’t know the author or the title at all, but I must admit that the whole thing was very intriguing.

The synopsis perfectly explains the story and we are following a blogger who is passionate about music and who discovers a new band. Their music transcends everything, evokes amazing emotions and our hero would like to understand what is going on. Embarked on the tour of this group, he awaits each new song with
Apr 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A... strange book. Not a bad book, but it also kind of felt like it went off the deep end. Some of the writing was a bit stilted and repetitive, which (at times) felt intentional and, at others... not so much. This story honestly stretched my suspension of disbelief a little too much (the tentacles from the sky seemed to come out of nowhere, with little to no build-up). In fact, that was this book in a nutshell: Little to no build-up. There was no mystery, and, therefore, no real wonder. To this ...more
Brandt
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, music
So I do a weekly radio show.

Every week I spin two hours of bands that most of you have likely never heard of, although it's possible. And with a few years of forced exile, I've been doing this since 1993, an on Sundays here in Cleveland since 2003. And the fact of the matter is, I'd like to think after doing independent radio for twenty-five years and going to literally thousands of shows, I'd like to think I know how things work for small bands out there trying to grow an audience.

Take for
Alex Sarll
Another book about the best band you've never heard of, which I perhaps shouldn't have embarked on so soon after This Is Memorial Device, though a jacket quote from Kieron Gillen meant this one was already on my radar some time before I picked that one up on a whim. And where that was about the insularity of small-town scenes in the offline era, this is about the very different sort of insularity which links music bloggers, separated by hundreds of miles but linked by various hidden chat ...more
FanFiAddict
Jul 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
Rating: -

Synopsis

Beautiful Remorse is the hot new band on the scene, releasing one track a day for ten days straight. Each track has a mysterious name and a strangely powerful effect on the band’s fans.

A curious music blogger decides to investigate the phenomenon up close by
Kurt
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
If you're moved by music or the occult or cosmic horror, or especially, if you're super-psyched about the intersection of all three of those mayhem-mothers, then this is your total bag for most definitely and sure. The author is a playwright, and although this is not a play transposed into novella form, there's certainly a different sensibility at work here than average. Very clever, but also existentially visceral and totally, awesomely BONKERS in all the best ways.

Highly recommended for
morgan
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2019
(Follow @morganreadsalot on Instagram for more reviews)
Thank you @tordotcom for this free book

This novella takes the saying, “never meet your heroes” to a whole new level, in this case; the level where meeting your new fave band might make you an accomplice to the apocalypse, maybe? I’d say that goes way past eleven. (raise your hand if you get that reference.)

The voice is extremely familiar; the same tone, passion, and slightest hint of snobbery that I hear in the voices of friends who are
unknown
Feb 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Well, that was delightfully wicked. A perfect length, without a wasted page. Lots of nerdy process-y blogger/internet shit that I appreciated. Killer ending. Read it in-between volumes of Wicked + the Divine.
Arbys Mom
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! This blew me away. I had no idea where it would end up. Very enjoyable and yet so different from what I usually read. Well written, engaging characters, vivid settings, humorous at times but not overwhelming. I intend to read it again a bit more slowly.
Matthew
May 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Creepy and enthralling. I loved it. Full review to come.
Gabriella Crivilare
This was WILD.

Edited to add: Go to Airee's blog on Tumblr. It's absolutely fascinating.
Chad
Apr 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5-4. Story I haven't heard before. Very original and an enjoyable read.
Igor
Mar 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun and energetic ride through a world where music can be magic, stuffed with a lot of dark humor and several "wow, so that just happened" moments :)
Zibbernaut
Nov 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This was a wild fuckin ride. Basically, I can't say much without it being a spoiler. But if you're interested by this book--if the title gets you at all--it's a real short read and you should definitely check it out.
Les
May 18, 2019 rated it did not like it
Well, at least it was creative and short...
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Ragged Alice
  • The Haunting of Tram Car 015
  • Vigilance
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
  • The Survival of Molly Southbourne (Molly Southbourne #2)
  • The Test
  • Silver in the Wood
  • Alice Payne Rides (Alice Payne, #2)
  • The Gurkha and the Lord of Tuesday
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Miranda in Milan
  • The Undefeated
  • This Is How You Lose the Time War
  • Alice Payne Arrives (Alice Payne, #1)
  • Permafrost