Start by marking “Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder” as Want to Read:
Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder

Mr. Know-It-All: The Tarnished Wisdom of a Filth Elder

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  15 ratings  ·  10 reviews
This program is read by the author and includes a bonus conversation.

No one knows more about everything—especially everything rude, clever, and offensively compelling—than John Waters.

The man in the pencil-thin mustache, auteur of the transgressive movie classics Pink Flamingos, Polyester, the original Hairspray, Cry-Baby, and A Dirty Shame, is one of the world’s great so
Audio CD
Expected publication: May 21st 2019 by Macmillan Audio

To ask other readers questions about Mr. Know-It-All, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mr. Know-It-All

really liked it 4.00  ·

Kasa Cotugno
There is only one John Waters, and he chooses to present his memoir in the form of a "how-to-be-me" advice column. Life, death and "Chutes and Ladders board game known as show business." He covers it all. It's fair to say he doesn't suffer fools lightly, but is also the best kind of friend to those he holds dear, providing opportunity for what could probably be called outsiders and in whom he recognizes gold. Much as he likes to smash hypocrisy with his outlaw personna, underneath he really is a ...more
Andrew
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ive been a fan or Waters from day one and have read all of his previous books. This one is a departure—more a how to guide to succeed in the modern world without sacrificing your individuality. Buttressed by tales of his movie making and home life, this memoir/how to is fascinating reading for anyone — not just Waters fans. Highly Reccommended.
Seema Rao
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Irreverant ~ Well-written ~ Charming ~ Relevant

tl;dr: Memoir of John Waters is actually basically a book about life

John Waters is an old fav of mine. So, that his book would be extraordinary didn't surprise me. However, what surprised me was how relevant this book felt. That a man who started out making outsider movies in Baltimore could speak to me, an asian woman about 40 years younger, highlights the depth of the book. In a series of short essays, Waters talks about his career, but also about
Sean
Apr 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I am a "First Reads" winner.

Shortly after reading 'Mr. Know-It-All,' I watched - again - 'Pink Flamingos' to get a visual reminder of what makes John Waters THE Filth Elder. Both 'Pink Flamingos' and 'Mr. Know-It-All' didn't disappoint ….

Waters' writing is perfect and captivating - especially as he remembers what went into the production (and subsequent responses) of his films. I enjoyed his wonderings in "Delayed" (been there, too), "Flashback," and "No Vacation" - my favorites.

A great (filthy
Moira
Mar 22, 2019 rated it liked it
I received an ARC of this book in exchange for a honest review. I was initially confused by this book. I thought it was going to be an advice book, but that’s not what this book is. I’d consider this a collection of essays on whatever John Waters felt like writing that say. He does provide a behind the scenes look at the making of some of his films and there’s a chapter about music that I adored and would love to have read more.
Griffin Alexander
John's best book yet, full of all the content and wit you love him for.
Emily
Feb 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will never look at oysters the same way again...
Frank Brasile
Apr 20, 2019
Carmen
Apr 22, 2019 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Whatever you might have heard, there is absolutely no downside to being famous. None at all.
ADAM
Apr 16, 2019
Paul Vittay
Apr 05, 2019
Lissa
Apr 24, 2019
MC
Mar 11, 2019 marked it as dnf
I received a NetGalley copy and, unfortunately, DNF'd this about 15% of the way in. I read John Waters' book Carsick, about his weird and wild hitchhiking journey across America. And, although I'm not really a fan of his work, there's a part of me that can appreciate his counter-culture approach to life and art.

This book is a mish-mash of hyper-specific advice based on key moments in his career. They don't feel particularly applicable and didn't hold my interest. After a fairly fun and insane i
Raven
Apr 10, 2019
Amanda
Apr 18, 2019
Rikki
Apr 21, 2019
Maureen
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was not very familiar with John Waters before I read this book. Safe to say, I know quite a bit more now! I enjoyed the back story for his films and Provincetown. I also found the piece on Christmas Trees to be hilarious!. I was a little confused on the inclusion of the Andy Warhol chapter, but, overall, I really enjoyed this memoir! Thanks to #netgalley for the advance copy.
Clare
Frederick Rotzien
Silvanna
Anna
Mar 10, 2019
John Samuel Waters, Jr. is an American filmmaker, actor, writer, personality, visual artist and art collector, who rose to fame in the early 1970s for his transgressive cult films: Pink Flamingos and Hairspray. He is recognizable by his pencil-thin moustache.