Start by marking “The Whisper Man” as Want to Read:
The Whisper Man

The Whisper Man

4.10  ·  Rating details ·  20,927 ratings  ·  4,027 reviews
In this dark, suspenseful thriller, Alex North weaves a multi-generational tale of a father and son caught in the crosshairs of an investigation to catch a serial killer preying on a small town.

After the sudden death of his wife, Tom Kennedy believes a fresh start will help him and his young son Jake heal. A new beginning, a new house, a new town. Featherbank.

But the town
Published August 20th 2019 by Celadon Books (first published June 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Whisper Man, please sign up.
MarmottanReads There's an underlying supernatural plot strand that completes very nicely in this. I don't normally like books with the supernatural in, but this is…moreThere's an underlying supernatural plot strand that completes very nicely in this. I don't normally like books with the supernatural in, but this is cleverly done as part of a complex multi stranded plot. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Luda
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  20,927 ratings  ·  4,027 reviews

Start your review of The Whisper Man
Miranda Reads
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
AHHH! THE WHISPER MAN MADE IT ANOTHER ROUND!!!

Vote now for the 2019 Goodreads Choice Awards!
description

It's not going to be easy, and I need to start with an apology. Because over the years I've told you many times that there's no such thing as monsters.
I'm sorry that I lied.
Tom arrives at Featherbank with seven-year-old Jake in tow to escape the memories of their recently deceased wife and mother.

And while their new house seems a bit sinister, Featherbank appears to be the idyllic town and the new
Paromjit
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Alex North's crime debut and what a impressive debut it is. It drips with atmosphere, a disturbing story of The Whisper Man, who over 20 years ago kidnapped and murdered 5 local boys in the small town of Featherbank. Frank Carter is the Whisper Man, incarcerated in prison, reveling in his notoriety and reputation, playing mind games with 56 year old DI Pete Willis, the man who caught him. Despite the emotional cost, Pete has persevered through the years, visiting Carter in prison, in the ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
BOTM AUGUST PICK!

The Whisper Man is one of those reads that I didn't even slow down to take notes or mark quotes for my review; I blew through at record speed, finishing this one within a single sitting. I couldn't put it down until I had every last detail of the case solved! I'll be honest, based on the synopsis I was bracing myself for a Silence of the Lambs wannabe: a devilishly charismatic serial killer sitting in prison who will only talk to a particular detective about a case involving
Maureen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Whisper Man is Alex North’s debut thriller, and what an absolutely riveting read it is!

It’s some twenty years since Frank Carter began a life sentence for the abduction and murder of five little boys. Carter had earned himself the nickname ‘The Whisper Man’ after his sinister method of whispering at the doors and windows of his victims in order to lure them outside. Now though, another little boy has gone missing in similar circumstances, and the peaceful village of Featherbank is once again
Mary Beth *Traveling Sister*
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five Creepy Spooky Stars

'If you leave a door half open, you'll hear the whisper spoken.
If you play outside alone soon you won 't be going home.
If your Windows left unlatched, you'll hear him tapping at the glass.
If your lonely, sad, and blue, the whisper man will come for you.

Tom Kennedy has just lost his wife and he and his seven year old son, Jake move to Featherbank.

Unfortunately there is a serial killer that is preying on this small town and an investigation is going on.

Twenty years ago
Chaima ✨ شيماء
I questioned the wisdom of reading a horror story at night while I’m living alone but then I remembered that I’ve never made a wise decision in my life and likely never will
Debra
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Shh can you hear that?

Tom Kennedy is looking to make a new start. His wife died and he and his son, Jack, have moved into a new home in a new town in hopes of doing just that. Tom is not aware that twenty years ago, in their new town, a serial killer nicknamed the "Whisper Man" lured young boys away from the safety of their homes by whispering into their windows at night. He just wants to start over and protect his son, who is a creative child who frequently talks to his imaginary
Nilufer Ozmekik
Five- this book turned me into creepy paranoid who is afraid of her own shadow, leave the lights on before sleeping, scream as soon as hearing any approaching footsteps inside the house, wow actually I was doing all of these before, but it’s still good to point a finger to something as a reason of my awkward behaviors- stars!!!!

As soon as I got the printed copy of this book, I became so agitated because there was another gift with the copy! A FREAKING CARD! As soon as you open the card, a
Will Byrnes
If you leave a door half open, soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won’t be going home.
If your window’s left unlatched, you’ll hear him tapping at the glass.
If you’re lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you.
========================================
…over the years I’ve told you many times that there’s no such thing as monsters.
I’m sorry that I lied.

description
Author - Your guess is as good as mine – Alex North is a nom de plume - image from
Peter
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stalking
Alex North’s debut, The Whisper Man is an outstanding thriller and one of the best crime novels I’ve read this year. In tones similar to Stephen King, he ramps up compelling suspense with tantalising supernatural possibilities.

Alex North structured his novel in a way that is extremely appealing to me, where one character narrates in the first person and the other threads are provided in the third person. This tends to create an opportunity for great story-telling with a personal view to
Holly  B
Creepy vibes with a bit of local folklore.

This book was much more than I expected (in a good way). Stellar writing and plotting with a darkness that slowly creeps its way into the heart of the tale.

Tom is a doting father and after the untimely death of his wife, he wants a new start with his son, Jake. Couldn't a new town bring a new beginning? They both need to heal. He chooses the town of Featherbank. It sounds so comforting and warm.How could he have known?

The house is old. It has a
Julie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Whisper Man by Alex North is a 2019 Celadon Books publication.

Unsettling, spine-tingling, and emotionally charged thriller!

After the untimely death of his wife, Tom Kennedy feels like a fresh start in a new location, might help him and his young son, Jake, move forward from their grief and begin the healing process. But almost immediately after moving to Featherbank, a new set of problems presents themselves. Jake has trouble adjusting to his new school, just as another boy Jake’s age goes
Meredith
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you're lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you."

20 years ago, a serial killer known as “The Whisper Man” abducted and killed several young children in a small English town called Featherbank. In the present moment, a little boy has been abducted and it seems that “The Whisper Man” is back at play-- EXCEPT he is in jail. Is there a copycat on the loose or is something more sinister going on in Featherbank?

In order to make a fresh start, Tom Kennedy and his son
Felicia
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
If this book had a Tinder profile it would read something like this:

Cliché troubled detective haunted by previous case seeks unknown creepy boogeyman. Must have Daddy issues and enjoy torturing small children.

------------------------------

Although I enjoyed this quick read, there's really nothing novel going on here. It's pretty tame compared to similar books in this genre. I was left wanting more. More darkness, more tension, more backstory.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an
Beata
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now, this was quite a ride! I listened to the audiobook late at night and finished this morning, and I must say the reader did a grand job! I was scared! And I'm not that easily scared by a thriller.
There are so many thrillers with the theme of child abduction or murder, but Mr North added his own original voice to the genre.
What did I like? Different points of view, and very well constructed character of Jake. His vulnerabilty made me want to jump into the novel and help and protect him. The
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
Tom Kennedy is looking for a fresh start for himself and his son Jake. His wife died the past year and they have been having a tough time adjusting to her being gone and grieving, both together and each on their own.

He finds a house that is affordable in a small town that looks as though it would be safe, with a country feel and a well respected school. As soon as they move in, however, Tom begins to have second feelings about his decision. His son starts talking to his “imaginary” friend even
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was SO eerie and creepy. The ending was a little anticlimactic, but as a whole I still really enjoyed this and was mega squigged out the entire time.
Kaceey
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley, buddy-read
You might want to keep the lights on and the doors locked while reading this one!

Tom and his son Jake are looking to make a fresh start after the death of Toms’ wife.
And hopefully, Jake can finally find a place where he’ll fit in. After all, Jake he is not your typical, everyday boy. He has imaginary friends. One that he can be heard talking to at times.

But will a new town and a new school be enough to heal both of them?
Only, this town has a dark history of a serial killer targeting young boys.
Liz
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Five big Stars!

If you like your psychological thrillers with a big creep factor, this one’s for you! Told from multiple POVs, including two DIs, we witness the manhunt for a child abductor and killer. But we also have a father and son that have recently moved into what might be a haunted house. And then there’s the son, who reminds me of the boy in The Sixth Sense. Despite the back and forth between all the characters’ POVs, I never found this confusing.

Kudos to North for some wonderful writing
jessica
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my new flat doesnt have A/C (everything in rome is ancient), so i leave the window open at night. but after reading this, that is going to change. i dont care if i roast to death in my sleep, because no way am i leaving it open anymore. this story is beyond unsettling and eerie and i loved every page of it - even if it did spook me.

what i found to be most impressive about this story, where many other mystery/thriller stories tend to fail, is the pacing. there is a nice ebb and flow between
Nicola
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing

‘ He says he hears a whispering at his window’......

‘The Whisper Man’ is the hair raising story of widower Tom Kennedy and his young son Jake who move to a quiet English village hoping for a fresh start.

But Featherbank has plenty of its own ghosts-20 years ago,a serial killer known as ‘The Whisper Man’ abducted and murdered five young boys.

When another boy goes missing and Jake begins to act out in strange ways,Tom fears that he’s losing his grip on reality.

Can he uncover the truth
marilyn
What an enjoyable book for me. This book is about fathers and sons and what the love a father, or lack of love of a father, can do to a son. It's about fathers who never forget their failings even long after they've done all they can to change, to become the best person they can be, long after they are no longer the person they used to be. And it's about fathers who are so very good and love so very much but think they are failures and not good enough to be fathers.

I came to the book thinking
Susanne  Strong
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4.25 Stars* (rounded down).

Creeptastic!

You know that feeling when the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end? When the air feels dark and ominous and your breath catches in your throat and it feels tight and you can’t breathe?

Imagine hearing about The Whisper Man..

If you leave a window open, soon you'll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won't be going home...
If you're lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you.

It’s just a little tale that all of the
BernLuvsBooks (Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas)
I enjoyed this one BUT not in the way I thought I would. Having seen so many reviews of people saying they couldn't read this alone at night, I expected some gore and to be truly frightened. I never felt scared. Maybe as someone who reads thrillers on a regular basis I have a higher threshold for it all.

I had my suspicions about who was the bad guy was as soon as he was introduced. I was right which usually ruins a book for me but I enjoyed the ride along the way with this one. What I really
Brenda -Traveling Sister host of The Traveling Friends
Hot supreme diggity dang! No hype here I am just busting out a groove here and boogieing to the beat of excitement with this Traveling Friends group read. We all had a hard time putting this one down once we started reading it. It's one fabulosity read.

Alex North does some mighty fine footwork here with this creepy, unnerving, and captivating dark, suspenseful thriller. It has all the elements here to make this a spooky and compelling read for me. There are some supernatural overtones here that
Tammy
Feb 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a menacing novel which is what a great thriller should be and I'm not going to tell you anything about it. Shhhh, did you hear that? I thought I heard a whisper.
Michelle
Jun 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley-arcs
"If you leave a door half open, soon you'll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won't be going home.
If your windows left unlatched, you'll hear him tapping at the glass.
If you're lonely, sad, and blue the Whisper Man will come for you."

This is an excellent book with some creepy moments that will give you chills and the fact that this is a debut makes this even more impressive.

The Whisper Man struck 20 years ago in the quaint town of Featherbank when boys began
Kylie D
If you leave a door half-open
Soon you'll hear the whispers spoken...

Tom, recently widowed, moves to a new village with his young son Jake. A new start in a new place for both of them. However a boy Jake's age has recently gone missing, his mother saying he was hearing whispers at his door in the days before he disappeared. For the village this brings back memories of a time twenty years ago when five young boys went missing and then later most were found dead. Yet the killer is still languishing
Lindsay - Traveling Sister
5+ stars!

Intense. Haunting. Addictive. Engrossing. Chilling.

Seven-year-old Jake and his widowed father, Tom, move to Featherbank. A new town for a new start after the passing of Jake’s mom. Featherbank has a past filled with secrets. Jake seems connected to some of these long buried stories and secrets of the small town. Not long after moving to Featherbank, a young boy goes missing which stirs up old memories of a serial killer who once lived in there.

This was a spine-tingling, heart-pounding,
Warda
Oct 15, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library-reads
Since it’s a thriller, it’s pointless describing to you what the book is about really. The excitement is letting the story take you on this ride of mystery and intrigue.

I can’t put my finger on what it actually was but I was left wanting more of the story. It didn’t feel as fulfilling as I hoped it would have even though there was great character development and it was well-paced. The short chapters and different POV’s added a creepy dynamic to the story and the mystery surrounding it kept me
Play Book Tag: The Whisper Man by Alex North 4 stars 2 11 Nov 17, 2019 04:10AM

• The Family Upstairs
  • Wild Game: My Mother, Her Lover, and Me
  • Nothing to See Here
  • This Tender Land
  • American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century
  • The Reckless Oath We Made
  • The Nanny
  • Recursion
Alex North was born in Leeds, England, where he now lives with his wife and son. The Whisper Man was inspired by North's own little boy, who mentioned one day that he was playing with "the boy in the floor." Alex North is a British crime writer who has previously published under another name.
“If you leave a door half open, soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won’t be going home.
If your window’s left unlatched, you’ll hear him tapping at the glass.
If you’re lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you.”
16 likes