Start by marking “The Whisper Man” as Want to Read:
The Whisper Man

The Whisper Man

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  65,546 ratings  ·  8,917 reviews
In this dark, suspenseful thriller, Alex North weaves a multi-generational tale of a father and son caught in the crosshairs of an investigation to catch a serial killer preying on a small town.

After the sudden death of his wife, Tom Kennedy believes a fresh start will help him and his young son Jake heal. A new beginning, a new house, a new town. Featherbank.

But the town
Published August 20th 2019 by Celadon Books (first published June 13th 2019)

To ask other readers questions about The Whisper Man, please sign up.
MarmottanReads There's an underlying supernatural plot strand that completes very nicely in this. I don't normally like books with the supernatural in, but this is c…moreThere's an underlying supernatural plot strand that completes very nicely in this. I don't normally like books with the supernatural in, but this is cleverly done as part of a complex multi stranded plot. (less)
This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Sinead
This answer contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

·  65,546 ratings  ·  8,917 reviews

Start your review of The Whisper Man
Miranda Reads
Jun 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
description
I have read my way through 315 books to bring you my Top 10 Books of the Year (video) .

Now you know that this one made the cut, check out my video review to see the others!
description

It's not going to be easy, and I need to start with an apology. Because over the years I've told you many times that there's no such thing as monsters.
I'm sorry that I lied.
Tom arrives at Featherbank with seven-year-old Jake in tow to escape the memories of their recently deceased wife
Nilufer Ozmekik
Look at my photo and fake smile because there is nothing in this book makes you smile! My dog is scared so much and had nightmares because I read him some passages!!!

Five- this book turned me into creepy paranoid who is afraid of her own shadow, leave the lights on before sleeping, scream as soon as hearing any approaching footsteps inside the house, wow actually I was doing all of these before, but it’s still good to point a finger to something as a reason of my awkward behaviors- stars!!!!

As
chai ♡
3½ stars

The experience of reading this book is like falling asleep in the passenger seat of a car and startling awake with a shuddering jolt of fear, a cold window pressing hard against your cheek, a cool prickle at the base of your neck, an unfamiliar, impenetrable darkness outside—and the wrongness of it all hanging in the air like the sour clang of a bell. Where are you? Here, trapped in a book with unknowable terrors moving in subtly like dark air before a thunderstorm.

And all of them are d
Paromjit
May 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is Alex North's crime debut and what a impressive debut it is. It drips with atmosphere, a disturbing story of The Whisper Man, who over 20 years ago kidnapped and murdered 5 local boys in the small town of Featherbank. Frank Carter is the Whisper Man, incarcerated in prison, reveling in his notoriety and reputation, playing mind games with 56 year old DI Pete Willis, the man who caught him. Despite the emotional cost, Pete has persevered through the years, visiting Carter in prison, in the ...more
Chelsea Humphrey
BOTM AUGUST PICK!

The Whisper Man is one of those reads that I didn't even slow down to take notes or mark quotes for my review; I blew through at record speed, finishing this one within a single sitting. I couldn't put it down until I had every last detail of the case solved! I'll be honest, based on the synopsis I was bracing myself for a Silence of the Lambs wannabe: a devilishly charismatic serial killer sitting in prison who will only talk to a particular detective about a case involving ano
Will Byrnes
If you leave a door half open, soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won’t be going home.
If your window’s left unlatched, you’ll hear him tapping at the glass.
If you’re lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you.
========================================
…over the years I’ve told you many times that there’s no such thing as monsters.
I’m sorry that I lied.

description
Author - Your guess is as good as mine – Alex North is a nom de plume - image from D
Maureen
Jun 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
The Whisper Man is Alex North’s debut thriller, and what an absolutely riveting read it is!

It’s some twenty years since Frank Carter began a life sentence for the abduction and murder of five little boys. Carter had earned himself the nickname ‘The Whisper Man’ after his sinister method of whispering at the doors and windows of his victims in order to lure them outside. Now though, another little boy has gone missing in similar circumstances, and the peaceful village of Featherbank is once again
megs_bookrack
May 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs-read
**4.5-stars rounded up**

This is EXACTLY how I like my Police Procedurals, with all the thrills and chills.

Well done, Alex North. You have found a fan in me!

After the sudden death of his wife, Tom Kennedy thinks a fresh start is just what he and his young son, Jake, need. A new place will provide a space where they both can heal.

With that in mind, he purchases a home and moves them to the small town of Featherbank. Unbeknownst to Tom, the town has a sordid and frightening past.

Twenty years ago,
Mary Beth
Sep 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Five Creepy Spooky Stars

'If you leave a door half open, you'll hear the whisper spoken.
If you play outside alone soon you won 't be going home.
If your Windows left unlatched, you'll hear him tapping at the glass.
If your lonely, sad, and blue, the whisper man will come for you.

Tom Kennedy has just lost his wife and he and his seven year old son, Jake move to Featherbank.

Unfortunately there is a serial killer that is preying on this small town and an investigation is going on.

Twenty years ago
Felicia
Jun 11, 2019 rated it liked it
If this book had a Tinder profile it would read something like this:

Cliché troubled detective haunted by previous case seeks unknown creepy boogeyman. Must have Daddy issues and enjoy torturing small children.

------------------------------

Although I enjoyed this quick read, there's really nothing novel going on here. It's pretty tame compared to similar books in this genre. I was left wanting more. More darkness, more tension, more backstory.

I received an ARC from NetGalley in exchange for an h
Debra
Jul 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: netgalley

Shh can you hear that?

Tom Kennedy is looking to make a new start. His wife died and he and his son, Jack, have moved into a new home in a new town in hopes of doing just that. Tom is not aware that twenty years ago, in their new town, a serial killer nicknamed the "Whisper Man" lured young boys away from the safety of their homes by whispering into their windows at night. He just wants to start over and protect his son, who is a creative child who frequently talks to his imaginary frien
Peter
Aug 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Stalking
Alex North’s debut, The Whisper Man is an outstanding thriller and one of the best crime novels I’ve read this year. In tones similar to Stephen King, he ramps up compelling suspense with tantalising supernatural possibilities.

Alex North structured his novel in a way that is extremely appealing to me, where one character narrates in the first person and the other threads are provided in the third person. This tends to create an opportunity for great story-telling with a personal view to
Julie
Sep 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Whisper Man by Alex North is a 2019 Celadon Books publication.

Unsettling, spine-tingling, and emotionally charged thriller!

After the untimely death of his wife, Tom Kennedy feels like a fresh start in a new location, might help him and his young son, Jake, move forward from their grief and begin the healing process. But almost immediately after moving to Featherbank, a new set of problems presents themselves. Jake has trouble adjusting to his new school, just as another boy Jake’s age goes
Matthew
A little bit of Silence of the Lambs

A little bit of The Shining

A very good thriller.

I will say that for me it was not mind-blowing or anything like that, but I still enjoyed it. For those who enjoy suspense/mystery novels, I don't think you can go wrong giving this one a shot.

I have seen a few people indicate they are nervous to start this one because they feel it will be too scary. I personally didn't find it to be all that scary. There were certainly a few chilling events within the plot, but
Meredith
May 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
If you're lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you."

20 years ago, a serial killer known as “The Whisper Man” abducted and killed several young children in a small English town called Featherbank. In the present moment, a little boy has been abducted and it seems that “The Whisper Man” is back at play-- EXCEPT he is in jail. Is there a copycat on the loose or is something more sinister going on in Featherbank?

In order to make a fresh start, Tom Kennedy and his so
Dorie  - Cats&Books :)
**ONE OF MY TOP MYSTERIES OF 2019, THE AUTHOR HAS A NEW BOOK PUBLISHING IN JULY 2020 CALLED "THE SHADOWS" :) **

Tom Kennedy is looking for a fresh start for himself and his son Jake. His wife died the past year and they have been having a tough time adjusting to her being gone and grieving, both together and each on their own.

He finds a house that is affordable in a small town that looks as though it would be safe, with a country feel and a well respected school. As soon as they move in, however
Holly  B
Creepy vibes with a bit of local folklore.

This book was much more than I expected (in a good way). Stellar writing and plotting with a darkness that slowly creeps its way into the heart of the tale.

Tom is a doting father and after the untimely death of his wife, he wants a new start with his son, Jake. Couldn't a new town bring a new beginning? They both need to heal. He chooses the town of Featherbank. It sounds so comforting and warm. How could he have known?

The house is old. It has a
Beata
Aug 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Now, this was quite a ride! I listened to the audiobook late at night and finished this morning, and I must say the reader did a grand job! I was scared! And I'm not that easily scared by a thriller.
There are so many thrillers with the theme of child abduction or murder, but Mr North added his own original voice to the genre.
What did I like? Different points of view, and very well constructed character of Jake. His vulnerabilty made me want to jump into the novel and help and protect him. The at
Chelsea (chelseadolling reads)
This was SO eerie and creepy. The ending was a little anticlimactic, but as a whole I still really enjoyed this and was mega squigged out the entire time.
Kaceey
Aug 08, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
You might want to keep the lights on and the doors locked while reading this one!😳

Tom and his son Jake are looking to make a fresh start after the death of Toms’ wife.
And hopefully, Jake can finally find a place where he’ll fit in. After all, Jake he is not your typical, everyday boy. He has imaginary friends. One that he can be heard talking to at times.

But will a new town and a new school be enough to heal both of them?
Only, this town has a dark history of a serial killer targeting young boys
David Putnam
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was ok
I know a lot of folks love this book but unfortunately, I’ll have to be a dissenting vote. The books I like/love drop me into the fictive dream and hold me there. I live the book through the character’s eyes. I think about the book when I’m away from it. The characters come alive.
In the Whisper Man this didn’t happen for me. I know I’m a harsher critic probably because I also write so please don’t take this critique to heart.
For me there are three issues with this book. First, I think the book c
Liz
Jul 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing

Five big Stars!

If you like your psychological thrillers with a big creep factor, this one’s for you! Told from multiple POVs, including two DIs, we witness the manhunt for a child abductor and killer. But we also have a father and son that have recently moved into what might be a haunted house. And then there’s the son, who reminds me of the boy in The Sixth Sense. Despite the back and forth between all the characters’ POVs, I never found this confusing.

Kudos to North for some wonderful writing
jessica
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
my new flat doesnt have A/C (everything in rome is ancient), so i leave the window open at night. but after reading this, that is going to change. i dont care if i roast to death in my sleep, because no way am i leaving it open anymore. this story is beyond unsettling and eerie and i loved every page of it - even if it did spook me.

what i found to be most impressive about this story, where many other mystery/thriller stories tend to fail, is the pacing. there is a nice ebb and flow between info
marilyn
What an enjoyable book for me. This book is about fathers and sons and what the love a father, or lack of love of a father, can do to a son. It's about fathers who never forget their failings even long after they've done all they can to change, to become the best person they can be, long after they are no longer the person they used to be. And it's about fathers who are so very good and love so very much but think they are failures and not good enough to be fathers.

I came to the book thinking t
emma
I expected to be SPOOKED. I was ready to be SCARED. I prepared myself for the FRIGHT of a LIFETIME.

And instead I got...this. I was handed hundreds of pages’ worth of filler and some seriously mixed messages about the cycle of abuse and sent on my merry way.

It’s never a good sign when you start a thriller and you’re like “huh I wonder when this will get interesting,” and then you hit the halfway point and you’re still like pondering the idea of if the plot will get started anytime soon, and then
Susanne  Strong
Jul 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: buddy-read, netgalley
4.25 Stars* (rounded down).

Creeptastic!

You know that feeling when the hairs on the back of your neck stand on end? When the air feels dark and ominous and your breath catches in your throat and it feels tight and you can’t breathe?

Imagine hearing about The Whisper Man..

If you leave a window open, soon you'll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won't be going home...
If you're lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you.

It’s just a little tale that all of the
Kim ~ It’s All About the Thrill
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Well wow! I can tell you I am not alone with my love for this book! This book has gotten a ton of hype and it deserves it all. This year there have been so many fantastic thrillers out there that it is hard to pick which are my favorites. Just know this one is definitely making my best of 2019 for sure!

LOCK YOUR DOORS, LOCK YOUR CAR, TUCK YOUR KIDS IN..... Then go check on them multiple times during the night. Heck you might just want to sleep on the couch and position yourself near the front d
BernLuvsBooks
Aug 18, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this one BUT not in the way I thought I would. Having seen so many reviews of people saying they couldn't read this alone at night, I expected some gore and to be truly frightened. I never felt scared. Maybe as someone who reads thrillers on a regular basis I have a higher threshold for it all. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I had my suspicions about who was the bad guy was as soon as he was introduced. I was right which usually ruins a book for me but I enjoyed the ride along the way with this one. What I rea
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
Hot supreme diggity dang! No hype here I am just busting out a groove here and boogieing to the beat of excitement with this Traveling Friends group read. We all had a hard time putting this one down once we started reading it. It's one fabulosity read.

Alex North does some mighty fine footwork here with this creepy, unnerving, and captivating dark, suspenseful thriller. It has all the elements here to make this a spooky and compelling read for me. There are some supernatural overtones here that
Elyse  Walters
Sep 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
“If you leave the door half open you’ll hear the whisper man”.....

Alex North is a sensitive writer.
For a suspenseful psychological thriller... with creepy-chilling aspects ...
there is a lot of ‘sweetness’ to be experienced. Perhaps an odd combo... but it worked!!!
It’s a thriller with a lot of heart.

Alex North captures the attachment between a father and his son.
Things they both share in common are:
...loss, despair, & tragedy.
...grief.
...anxiety and fear.
...frightening childhoods.
...lonelin
All About Books: October 2020 Fiction Group Read - The Whisper Man by Alex North 1 6 3 hours, 51 min ago
Crime, Mysteries ...: This topic has been closed to new comments. The Whisper Man by Alex North - October 2020 1 33 Sep 09, 2020 07:47AM
The Perks Of Bein...: The Whisper Man by Alex North - June 2020 42 317 Aug 01, 2020 01:38AM
Goodreads Choice ...: The Whisper Man - July 19th 117 81 Jul 30, 2020 08:48AM

• The Night Swim
  • Long Bright River
  • A Good Marriage
  • The Other People
  • Eight Perfect Murders (Malcolm Kershaw, #1)
  • The Last Flight
  • Imaginary Friend
  • The Holdout
Alex North was born in Leeds, England, where he now lives with his wife and son. The Whisper Man was inspired by North's own little boy, who mentioned one day that he was playing with "the boy in the floor." Alex North is a British crime writer who has previously published under another name.

Articles featuring this book

“If you leave a door half open, soon you’ll hear the whispers spoken.
If you play outside alone, soon you won’t be going home.
If your window’s left unlatched, you’ll hear him tapping at the glass.
If you’re lonely, sad, and blue, the Whisper Man will come for you.”
35 likes
“Courage is not the absence of fear, Pete knew. Courage requires fear.” 22 likes