Start by marking “Appetites & Vices (The Truitts #1)” as Want to Read:
Appetites & Vices (The Truitts #1)

Appetites & Vices

(The Truitts #1)

He’s her ticket into high society…

Banking heiress Ursula Nunes has lived her life on the fringes of Philadelphia’s upper class. Her Jewish heritage means she’s never quite been welcomed by society’s elite…and her quick temper has never helped, either.

A faux engagement to the scion of the mid-Atlantic’s most storied family might work to repair her rumpled reputation and gain her
Kindle Edition
Published February 18th 2019 by Carina Press

To ask other readers questions about Appetites & Vices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Appetites & Vices

Megan Collins
Dec 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book was my first time reading historical romance, but if they're all even half this good, it won't be my last! To put it simply: I adored this story -- and I raced through it in only two days.

The characters were incredibly well developed and the plot included a number of surprising twists as long-kept secrets were revealed. The use of language was consistently lovely and clever, the dialogue crisp, and the banter between the two main characters so witty and sharp.

I loved how t
Danielle Haas
Dec 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an ARC of this fantastic book! Felicia Grossman’s debut historical romance, Appetites and Vices, is everything you want and more!! This story is filled with so many emotions, it will have you flying through the pages until you get to the extremely satisfying end.

Ursula Nunes and Jay Truitt are both in need of something. Ursula needs a way to gain the approval of her best friend, Hugo’s, parents so they will allow them to marry…a tough feat for a Jewish girl with a rep
Nathan Makaryk
Dec 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful read! I received an advance copy of this book, and had a great time with it. This was admittedly my first romance book ever, and I'm also admittedly probably not the target demographic, but hey-it was fun! The book has a great back-and-forth between an impossibly stuffy society and some *particularly* salacious activity happening behind the scenes. The main characters are both charming and flawed, very much living up to the title. Go read it, have a blast!
Victoria
Nov 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had the privilege of reading an early draft of this book and it was such a fun, sexy, compelling read! I absolutely fell in love with the characters--both deeply flawed and immensely relatable.
nick
Dec 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5

I don't remember when exactly I learned about Appetites & Vices, but I do remember feeling this desperate desire to read it. Historical romance is one of my favorite sub-genres and fake-relationships is one of my favorite tropes of all-times. So a combo of two of my favorite things was bound to have me all pumped to read this book. Luckily for me, it turned out to be an engrossing story that I couldn't put away!

The heart and soul of Appetites & Vices are the
T.L. Watson
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This has taken over a week to figure out how to write--not because I didn't love the book. But because there's so much to love I'm not sure where to start. So first I'll say, this book was SO refreshingly unique for a historical romance.

Ms. Grossman delivers a well-crafted story with two characters so well-developed and so well-flawed. Yes well-flawed, in painful ways that blend delicately into the story so it doesn't feel weighed down, yet defines the entire arc beautifully. She som
Coralie Moss
Dec 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance
Ursula Nunes is a refreshing addition to the heroines of historical romance, starting with her inner voices, her love of pastries, and her brilliant, inquisitive mind. We can continue with her Jewish heritage, her knowledge of history, her menagerie, and her bravery.

And then there are her burdens, starting with that brilliant mind, the society that snubs her Jewishness yet relies on her father's financial expertise, and well, her friend, Hugo.

And then there is JAY and by the time yo
Jessica Calla
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I loved this delightful, thoughtful historical romance! APPETITES & VICES is the story of Ursula and Jay, as they navigate an upper-class Philadelphia society that is hostile toward each of them for different reasons. Ursula, because she’s Jewish and outspoken like her late mother, and Jay because he has a reputation as a spoiled playboy. When these two strike a deal to get what they want, sparks fly, past mistakes are confronted, and everything goes awry in the best ways.

Ursula is th
T.K. Barber
Jan 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Before I got my hands on this book I hadn’t read any historical romance, and I couldn’t have cut my HR teeth on a better book if I’d searched for ten more years. I’m in love with Jay and Ursula. I love the story, their quirks, their flaws, their banter, their... everything. Both Jay & Urs are functionally-disfunctional, unique, beautiful messes and they are perfect for each other.

It’s an easy read that catches you off guard with feel-punches when you least expect it. Mrs. Grossma
Samantha Brody
A fantastic autistic Jewish heroine, pining pine tree hero, and SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF ANGST? Really what more could I have asked for?

Nothing, I tell you, nothing.
Caz
Jan 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
I've given this a B- at AAR, so that's 3.5 stars rounded up. The author shows potential, but this has an overcomplicated plot and some writing and grammar quirks that really bugged me.

Felicia Grossman’s début historical romance, Appetites & Vices makes use of a setting I’ve not come across before in historical romance – 1840s Delaware – and boasts a couple of interesting, though flawed, central characters who enter into a faux engagement in an attempt to better the social standing of the he
Maxym Martineau
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
As someone who doesn’t normally read historical romance, I was entirely blown away by Grossman’s Appetites & Vices. This is such an excellent example of fully developed, engaging characters, and I was totally absorbed by their conflicts and choices. Ursula is a breath of fresh air. She’s logical and stubborn and loves her sweets, and everything about her is so uniquely charming. Jay’s backstory, and the way it unfolds, is so masterfully done that I was rapidly turning the pages to try and gu ...more
CrabbyPatty
I really loved the plot of this M/F romance set in Delaware in the early 1840s. Ursula Nunes of the wealthy Jewish banking family is a very attractive blonde with absolutely NO social skills. Jay Truitt is a broken man, a recovering opium addict. The two decide to pretend to be engaged so as to raise Ursula's social status so she will be deemed worthy to marry Hugh Middleton - not that she loves Hugh, but they sort of grew up together and figure marriage to each other will be better that being s ...more
Marie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
All Ursula ever wanted was to fit in. She is a banking heiress who is also Jewish. Being from the most wealthy family in Delaware should give her an in to society but she is too outspoken. It's not England, but the discrimination is still there. While trying to get her childhood friend to marry her, another man overhears and offers to become fake bethrothed to get away from his parents. John Thaddeus “Jay” Truitt, a reformed libertine, belongs in society and can provide an open invitation to all ...more
Romantic Intentions Quarterly
A forthright Jewish heroine desperate for acceptance in 19th century Philadelphia. A well-bred scion of a respected family, determined to run from his demons. Together, they plot to get their heart’s desire – she, to enter society with grace, he to leave it forever – and as their pretend friendship turns to true kinship, they discover they have so much more in common, and need each other so much more, than they could ever have imagined. Zesty and full of spirit with leads to cheer for and no lit ...more
Tara Tsai
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Oh man, this book was so great. Ursula is headstrong and brash and perfectly imperfect while Jay is swoony and frustrating and wonderful. The historical backdrop of this novel is sometime/place I've never really known about before, so all accuracy and detail was stunning.

Also, hold onto your hats because this one can get pretty steamy. I was rooting so hard for these two the entire time and you can't help but fall in love with them and their imperfections.

I was lucky to r
Caitlyn Lynch
Feb 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is an incredibly strong romance between two flawed, real and utterly delightful characters. Better yet, it’s got that one thing which can be ridiculously elusive in historical romances; it’s got diversity. Ursula, the heroine, is Jewish, full-figured, and definitely on the autism spectrum. In 1848 Philadelphia society, however, she comes across as unbearably brash and friendless except for Hugo, an awkward, bookish type she hopes to marry purely to avoid ending up alone. When Hugo’s parents ...more
Jess
Mar 17, 2019 rated it did not like it
This didn't end up working for me, and I'm bummed about that because it's a non-traditional histrom and I always want to encourage the existence of those works. I think at the end of it, the reasons it didn't work for me can be boiled down to overwrought prose and a constant stream of bullying that I understood, but that made me physically uncomfortable nonetheless.

I'd like to say I'll try the next book in this series, but I don't want to buy it and the odds of my library purchasing it are pret
Homebody
Jan 13, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Appetites and Vices achieved what I thought was the impossible. It was a historical romance I enjoyed. Actually more than enjoyed, I loved this book. It’s set in America. Most historicals are not, they feature Dukes and Lords, and characters along those lines. Having a historical set in the states was a first for me. I’m sure there are others out there, I’m just saying I’ve not come across them, so it was a refreshing change. Second it features a Jewish heroine. Another first for me. The author ...more
Evie Drae
Happy Valentine’s Day, my lovelies! 💕 I’m so excited to feature this week’s smashingly brilliant historical romance with a Jewish heroine and a smolderingly sexy bad boy hero. Appetites & Vices, by Felicia Grossman—released by Carina Press—as my lovers’ holiday review! It’s a treat and a half, to say the least. It’s also the first in a series, so be sure to keep your eyes peeled!

This little gem happens to be the first historical book I’d ever read that truly piqued my interest. I
Tricia Lynne
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Secrets, secrets, secrets. This is a splendid read full of secrets held, passion fulfilled, and love found––in all the wrong place.

I loved Ursula's stubborn, yet logical brain, and her lack of a poker face or filter (on occasion) were traits I identify with, whole-heartedly. Her slyly naughty tongue, yet lack of experience was weaved into the story so very well for the time period.

Jay is yummy. Broken, and oh, I soooo want to fix this man. He is splendid as Urs opposite with his penchant for i
Marit
Jan 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I don’t normally lean toword Historical Romance and this was the perfect starter book for me. Ursala is a strong, modern heroine in a realistic past setting. Jay, despite his faults (no spoilers!!!) also perfectly bridges the gap between relatable hurdles and trying to stay afloat in a socially pressured world. And he’s kinda dreamy.
Amazing debut from this author and I look forward to future books.
Maureen Marshall
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Don’t get me wrong—I adore tons of historical romances but I can honestly say that Ms. Grossman’s debut APPETITES AND VICES is in a class by itself. I mean, American setting (not London!), Philadelphia (not New York!), AND a Jewish protagonist who wouldn’t know how to simper if her life depended on it? Well…consider this reader intrigued and hopeful before I even cracked it open.

And boy, it didn’t disappoint. Ursula Nunes isn’t going to sit back and let life happen to her—she’s going
Leah
I was eager to read this as it’s the first historical romance I’ve read with a Jewish main character, and I’m so glad I picked it up because I loved the whole novel!

Read the full review on my blog!
Helena#bookdreamer
Really enjoyed this historical romance. Ursula is a strong, vibrant woman who speaks her mind and goes after what she wants. She plots to marry her best friend Hugo to gain the respect of a society that discriminates against her religion and her sordid past. Jay happens to overhear her proposal to Hugo and offers to help convince his family to accept her by accompanying her to social events.
Their interactions become provocative and the banter funny and intriguing. Jay begins to appreciate all t
Marid
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Felicia Grossman's debut is a strong one. My minor quibbles-- the reader is immediately thrown off the deep end in to the fake-betrothal without very much context, and some of the dialogue seemed anachronistic-- pale in comparison to the strength of the story. Jay and Felicia are both-- not transformed, really, but definitely refined, over the course of the story. Their growth (and the growth of their relationship) is incremental and believable and lovely to watch. Issues of prejudice and addict ...more
Katie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I should re-read this someday because I read it in fits and starts, but it gave me enough moments of pure emotion that I'm going with five stars.

That said, it did fall into the "too modern" trap a lot. Soooo much talk about condoms and a lot of modern sexual attitudes in general.

But I was into the fake engagement that her father knew about it and that she wasn't in love/thought she was in love with the guy she was trying to get it. All of that worked very well for me. ...more
Liv Arnold
Feb 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book and the world building. So sweet and romantic but sexy too.

Ursula and Jay are lovable, relatable characters and had great chemistry. Ursula’s love of sweets and food - my spirit lady.

Jay- swoon worthy!

Can’t wait to read more from the author.
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
I kept Felicia Grossman’s Appetites and Vices close to my reader heart for weeks, patiently awaiting release day. I was excited about a new romance writer with an unusual premise. Sadly, work kept me at a panting pace and my reading was sporadic at best, a chapter here, a nodding over a page in bed there. My interest, maybe because of the pace at which I read, was equally uneven, enthralled at times, sluggish at others. More of that later.

For now, to the plot and premise! Which prove
Mary Hart
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it

I enjoyed this story and the authors writing. The hero, Jay, came with issues as did the heroine. Ursula seemed redoubtable. She has an envieable joie de vivre, probably applied and learnt because of the prejudice she encountered. There was plenty of jeopardy and I was certainly glad they got their HEA and will look out for the next book in this series. It's different in that it's set in America in Victorian times.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this boo
« previous 1 3 4 next »

The Truitts (2 books)
  • Dalliances & Devotion (The Truitts, #2)