Start by marking “When Love Awaits” as Want to Read:
When Love Awaits

When Love Awaits

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  5,466 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
Once Lady Leonie cursed 'the Black Wolf' - handsome Rolfe d'Ambert, the mercenary Lord of Kempston - for his bloody deeds and cruelty to the local peasants. Now she must marry the magnificent blackguard to bring peace to the land.

Young, innocent, and possessing a rare and exquisite beauty, Leonie would be a prize for any man - yet Rolfe seeks the match solely for revenge.
Published January 27th 2004 by Avon (first published April 17th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about When Love Awaits, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Love Awaits

Romance_reader
Jul 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: re-read-shelf
I just had to add a review to this one; even though, I'd read the book at least a decade ago. I recently re-read it in the last week, and I have to say I've enjoyed it every bit as much as I did the first time.

Moreover, the H Rolfe is probably one of my favourite romantic heroes of all time. He's this battle hardened knight with little time to stop and smell the roses; yet falls ardently in love with the wife he married as a tactic to ensure peace for his lands and people. He spends most of thi
Karla
You know, most Johanna Lindsey books I read would get an extra star if the last 1/3rd wasn't always the H and h deliberately misinterpreting and non-communicating about Random Dumb Shit and having Psycho Mood Swings from minute to minute.

This one was quite better than the usual, though. No Malorys in sight! Woot!
Blair
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing

I loved this book. It was awesome. Really enjoyed it.
Geo Marcovici
Dec 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Foarte interesantă cartea!
❀angela
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own, romance, medieval
I'm okay with BIG MISUNDERSTANDINGS, maybe even two if the writing's good, but this book was nothing but misunderstandings.
Nisha
I know I normally hate these types of books - meaning, brutish, yet handsome hero, a great and terrible misunderstanding, forced marriage, a live-in mistress, a bitchy stepmom... but it redeems itself in a way that I would have never expected of JL. A really strong heroine who does not need to dress up as a man to assert her strength. Now, that is sexy.

Lady Leonie is forced to marry Rolfe, the Black Wolf, under the orders of the King. But he only wants her because of the land that is under her n
Lover of Romance
Lady Leonie grew up without a mother, her father remarried, and her step mother ends up controlling everything in the household when she drugs her father enough to appear drunk. No one is aware of this. Leonie, one day curses the "Black Wolf" whom she is afraid of. The peasants hear her, and since they are very loyal to her start wreaking havoc on Rolfe; minor incidents but enough so that he wants to take action. He decides to marry Lady Leonie to stop these incidents. Lady Leonie refuses to mar ...more
Ren
Read the translated version and write the review in my own languange

Buku yang bikin emosi (again) Emang ada aja yah tokoh cowo yang nyimpen mistressnya, sementara istrinya ada di tempat yang sama.....Cewenya juga tipe plin plan nih. TSTL. Too stupid to live. Cari cowo lain kenapa (deuuuh!!!). Kirain kuat pas awal2, ternyata toh juga bego di akhir..

Dan lagi, ada ya hero yang ga kenal ma muka istrinya sendiri, sampai digodain di taman, kagak nyadar itu istrinya . Bukan contoh hero yang baik nih
Jeski
May 30, 2012 rated it did not like it
This is absolutely my least favorite Johanna Lindsey novel of all time. The hero has to be some kind of idiot to not realize that she is not ugly but beaten and he is so chauvinistic- way more than the alpha males you usually read about - in his attitude and downright cruel in the way he treats his heroin. PLUS there is an awful lot to do with a mistress in this book.

Truth me told, I got a third of the way through this book and wanted to rip it in half I was so pissed off. I only finished it be
Dinjolina
Oh,I finished this book!

Wait,I did,right?
Seems that I am not sure.
It would have been a super book if not for the fact that on the last page (view spoiler)
So,call me crazy but all that crammed in there was like being pushed down a kiddy water slide. It just isn't done. Bad author, bad!
Josie
Apr 06, 2013 rated it liked it
*SPOILERS*

Way too many misunderstandings between the hero and heroine.

I just didn't get why they arrived at so many conclusions from so unreliable sources. Why would the heroine believe anything the mistress says? It doesn't make sense to not be suspicious of her motives. Don't try to make out the heroine is smart by having her be her own steward and discover underhand dealings regarding the accounts, and then make her completely oblivious to the evil stepmother and conniving other woman.

And bar
Abi
Aug 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, let's see... first of all, i wasn't planning to read it last night. So, i decided to sleep early and woke up at 1 in the morning, and couldn't get back to sleep. So, like any sane person would do, i clicked on my lamp and picked up the first book on my nightstand, and figured that i could read a few chapters and continue the next day. But, I believe i may have found a book that i quite like, because at exactly 6 o'clock in the morning, i finished the whole thing.

When i found this in the b
mad4rombks
Jul 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Reread July 2012.
Reread January 2016.
nurmawati
Dec 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

salah satu novel JL favorit gw...suka sama co nya en ce nya walo gw lupa siapa namanya hehehe...
tapi recommended banget buat di baca secara terjemahan gpu bagus banget...
Arlenis Ljónshjarta
Un final muy tonto y malo para todo el tira y afloja durante toda la historia.
Martina
Apr 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2017
Aunque no soy muy fan de este tipo de lecturas ya que me molesta bastante el machismo de estas historias, el libro me ha gustado. De lectura simple, fácil y rápida. Tengo unos cuantos en casa de esta autora.
Ruby
I picked up an entire collection of Johanna Lindsey books from the free cart at the library and over this weekend, I've decided to read and get rid of books that are "cover challenged." A mere glance at "When Love Awaits" attests to the fact that it clearly falls into that category.

The male protagonist, Rolfe, is butt naked and holding a sword, and Lady Leonie's neck is abnormally long and bent at an unnatural angle.

At any rate, I used to be a huge Lindsey fan, and I've never read this 1986 one,
Regan Walker
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: medieval
Love in an Arranged Marriage in the times of King Henry II

Set in England in 1176, this is the story of Lady Leonie, sent away by her father to her dower keep because he didn’t want to be reminded of her mother (or so she was led to believe). When her neighbor, Sir Rolfe d'Ambert, a favored knight of King Henry, discovers she owns the land that is causing all his problems, the mercenary Lord of Kempston asks the king for her hand. Leonie knows Rolfe only by reputation and it is not good, but she
Vanny E.
Apr 01, 2012 rated it it was ok
Johanna lindseys have never failed me but i guess theres a first time for everything. what ruined this book for me was the heroine. to dam stuborn and prideful and stayed quiet for things i would have yelled and raved about. Holy shit, did i hate her. There were so many opportunities she could have taken to clear up the entire situation and she didnt use any of them. Completely Dissapointed in this Book.
Tanisha
The book has all the common elements which you will find in a boring cliche historical novel.
A brute determined hero, a strong heroine, a stepmom, an absent parent, a mistress, confusion, tragedy, a lonely heroine, attraction, sexual tension.
Yet it was so beautifully woven that it would grip u till the end.
A good read.
Its 5* but not going on my fav shelf just because of too much misunderstanding.
But that's expected from Johanna Lindsey's books.
Lauren
Jun 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: read-in-2014
I don't know why I read romances when one of my least favorite things is something romances specialize in: conflicts that could easily be solved by the two characters HAVING A FUCKING HONEST CONVERSATION.

That situation accounted for about 85% of this novel.

(also, since I read these on a sketchy Russian website, I don't usually get to see the covers, but OH MAN, THIS ONE IS 1000000% PURE 80S CHEESE AND I LOVE IT.)
FeelNotFight
Nov 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I read it 6-8 year ago(2-3 gimnazjum/secondary school) and from what I remember I loved it but to keep it fresh I will read again soon and we'll see :)
Renée
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Brace yourselves for yet another novel that promises stubborn characters and their prowess in professing their love for each other only when the pages left to read are thin.

There are no words to describe how heartwarming this novel is, despite having three (THREE!) villains who wanted ill of the main characters.

I was led to believe that this was a farce-- that this was not a Suspense novel after all, but I was proven wrong, what's left for me to say is: HOW THE FREAKING HELL DID ROLFE NOT NOTI
Laboreta Skraqi
Oct 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was young at the time that I read this book! But it was great... a romance, a wildness, a stubborness, everything...
I have some friends who only read facebook, but they sure as hell read this one!
Audriana Michelin
Oct 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Firstly the book was great. However it ended really dry. This is one of those book that needed an epilogue to ease out.
Marie
Bintang 3.

Sejenis dengan buku karangan JL yg penuh dengan penipuan karakter antagonis yg ingin mgambil keuntungan, tak adanya kejujuran antara karakter hero dan heroine, keadaan yg tak menguntungkan, ketegaran dan harga diri yg tinggi yg dimiliki karakter heroine, dan gabungan dari unsur unsur tersebut menciptakan perspektif yg salah. Selalu ada saat terbersit kata kata "mengapa" dan "seandainya" sepanjang membaca buku ini. Walau negitu aku tetap suka HR yg happy ending seperti halnya kisah satu
Ann Marie
Sep 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5-3.75
Pink Angel
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
LOVED IT. IT'S A REAL MASTERPIECE.
Zel Polev
Sep 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED - medieval hr forced marriage 4 37 Oct 10, 2017 07:30AM
historical romance! forgotten author and title! 3 10 May 27, 2017 10:00AM
Romance Novel Boo...: SOLVED - Evil stepmother... 3 32 Jul 17, 2016 09:43PM
What's The Name o...: Historical Romance forced marriage [s] 4 39 Sep 19, 2014 06:46AM
  • The Dragon Lord
  • Season of the Sun (Viking, #1)
  • Promise of the Rose (deWarenne Dynasty, #2)
  • The Dragon and the Jewel (Medieval Plantagenet #2)
  • The Taming (Peregrine, #1)
  • Candle in the Window (Medieval, #1)
  • Untamed (Medieval, #1)
  • Fairest of Them All
  • Keeper of the Dream
  • Lady Vixen (Louisiana, #5)
  • Princess of Fire (Fire, #1)
  • My Wicked Enchantress
  • The Warrior
Johanna Helen Howard was born on March 10, 1952 in Germany, where her father, Edwin Dennis Howard, a soldier in the U.S. Army was stationed. The family moved about a great deal when she was young. Her father always dreamed of retiring to Hawaii, and after he passed away in 1964 Johanna and her mother settled there to honor him.

In 1970, when she was still in school, she married Ralph Lindsey, becom
More about Johanna Lindsey...